PDA

View Full Version : Thought on this scope for a .50...

Roo
09-09-2007, 9:11 PM
Leupold VARI-X III 8.5-25X50 LR Tactical Mil Dot

Good for a .50? Thoughts? Thanks!

Jamie

mike452
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
That scope is great. What kind of knobs? I have a 6.5-20x50 Duplex model with M1 knobs on my AR50. Lifetime warranty and excellent quality.
I'm planning to upgrade to a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm because the glass is a bit more clearer and illuminated reticle.

Roo
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I dont know but here is the pic..

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Jbra/DSC01332.jpg

Found a good deal on a used one.

rksimple
09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
A buddy of mine had a VXIII like that on a 7.82 Warbird. Something inside came apart in about 50 rounds. Sent it back and they apparently fixed it, until it happened again. Leupolds don't have a tremendous reputation for withstanding lots of recoil. Good warranty work though!:rolleyes:

Roo
09-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Ahh, so maybe not a great choice for a .50 then?

Hoop
09-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Probably be fine. I'd go lurk around a .50 caliber forum to see what they are all using.

Most high-powered long range big cartridge guns also have huge muzzle brakes & weigh a ton so recoil isn't that bad actually.

rksimple
09-09-2007, 11:11 PM
If I were going to spend the money on a .50, let alone the ammo to feed it, I'd pony up the cash for a Nightforce or USO. Lots of 50 guys using the NXS. Some have had decent results with MK4's as well...some haven't.

Roo
09-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Probably be fine. I'd go lurk around a .50 caliber forum to see what they are all using.

Most high-powered long range big cartridge guns also have huge muzzle brakes & weigh a ton so recoil isn't that bad actually.

Been lurking and it really differs. Guys with windrunners have USO or other high price scopes, and guys with SERBU or other cheaper options have SuperSnipers.

mike452
09-10-2007, 12:35 AM
The scope you have is their new Mark4s. They have M1 knobs. They are better built than other models. You should be fine...
The next level up is expensive... Upgrade when you find a good deal.

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2007, 6:15 AM
Mk4 is the ONLY Leupy that holds up to the "reverse recoil" of a 50. At a FCSA match you will see most shooters using NXSs then Mk4s and then others such as Burris, SS and USOs. Just remember that it is not a question of: "Will this scope fail on a 50?" It's: "When will this scope fail on a 50?" The trick is to use a scope that has been proven to last a while on 50s and has a lifetime warrantee!

Mute
09-10-2007, 8:14 AM
That's not a bad scope but at those prices I'd start considering a Nightforce.

Prince50
09-14-2007, 4:17 PM
Roo,

If you have that scope already, or it is FS cheap, use it. It will most likely NEVER fail on a .50.

If you are asking because you plan to buy it new, go to Nightforce, as the optics are better, and there is MUCH more internal MOA travel. You will need that on anything longer than an 18 inch barrel.

I have a Leupold on my Serbu, and it does great. 13 pound rifle which would really beat up scopes.

My other two scoped .50BMGs have Nightforce scopes on them. Worth the money.

I had great luck with the Super Snipers, but lots of my shootin buddies did not. I had a 10x, 16x, and 20x at times and liked them all.

What .50 BTW, an Armalite will be fine with almost any scope, as it is gentle on them, but shorter carbines or even the 82 seem to be harsh on scopes.

Darin

cornholio1
09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Anymore scope suggestions? Hows Barska? I can't afford a Nightforce and SS gets a 50/50 from people.

CSACANNONEER
09-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Anymore scope suggestions? Hows Barska? I can't afford a Nightforce and SS gets a 50/50 from people.

If you already have a scope, you could try it and see how long it lasts. Otherwise, if you can't afford a NXS or Mk4, I would stongly suggest a SS until you can afford a NXS. I do know one competitive shooter that has had good luck (he wins matches, shoots "screamers" ie. <7" groups @1000 yds and hasn't replaced his scope in 3 years) with his Springfield scope and another that uses a Burris Blackdiamond but, these are issolated cases and both may have just gotten lucky.

I have to dissagree with what prince50 said about Armalites being easy on scopes. They do have very low recoil (I have one) due to their MB. They way a muzzlbreak works is that it diverts much of the gasses sideways and rearward thus pulling the rifle FORWARD and dampening the perceived recoil. So, when you fire, the rifle first recoils rearward and then, a micro-second later, the gun jerks forward. The less perceived recoil, the more it jerks forward. Most scopes are not designed to handle this type of recoil and fail quickly. The fact that the AR50 MB is the most efficient commercial MB on the market makes any rifle equiped with it extra hard on optics.

BTW, shooting 50 expensive, very expensive. If you can't afford a scope, maybe you should re-evaluate the idea. I just don't want you to invest too much $ before you discover that you can't afford to shoot! If it's a temporary $ thing, then I understand and have already walked down that path. I bought a SS because I wasn't sure if I could afford a NXS right away.

DJAP1
09-19-2007, 2:09 PM
whats the point of putting a scope on a .50 your only gonna give yourself a black eye:chris:. man up and use some Back Up Iron Sights on that bad mother!!! :cool:

CSACANNONEER
09-19-2007, 4:58 PM
whats the point of putting a scope on a .50 your only gonna give yourself a black eye:chris:. man up and use some Back Up Iron Sights on that bad mother!!! :cool:

If you think that you'll get "scope eye" if you shoot a 50, then I won't offer to let you try one of mine. I have let many people, including woman and children as young as 10) shoot my rifles and none of them have ever had a problem. If, by some chance, you ever learn how to properly shoot a scoped rifle, PM me and I might be able to arrange to let you shoot a 50.

DJAP1
09-21-2007, 11:13 AM
If you think that you'll get "scope eye" if you shoot a 50, then I won't offer to let you try one of mine. I have let many people, including woman and children as young as 10) shoot my rifles and none of them have ever had a problem. If, by some chance, you ever learn how to properly shoot a scoped rifle, PM me and I might be able to arrange to let you shoot a 50.

no way man, .50's kick soooooo much. i saw a dude at chabot one time and he had a fatty scope on his bad .50cal beast. he had scope eye:chris: , his wife had scope eye:chris: , and his kid NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT!! dont you know the law?? thats illegal man!!!

:Pirate:

Nefarious
09-21-2007, 11:34 AM
no way man, .50's kick soooooo much. i saw a dude at chabot one time and he had a fatty scope on his bad .50cal beast. he had scope eye:chris: , his wife had scope eye:chris: , and his kid NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT!! dont you know the law?? thats illegal man!!!

:Pirate:

??????? :confused:

Prc329
09-21-2007, 12:33 PM
"Scope eye" is usually the result of bad shooting technique not recoil.

Nefarious
09-21-2007, 12:38 PM
"Scope eye" is usually the result of bad shooting technique not recoil.

LOL thats not what I meant..:D
Im just wondering why his kid cant shoot his 50

DJAP1
09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
LOL thats not what I meant..:D
Im just wondering why his kid cant shoot his 50

his kid cant shoot the .50 for 3 main reasons

1. the kid it too small
2. its unethical
3. the child couldnt scrounge up the $20 just for one shot

oh ya and its illegal!!!!

Nefarious
09-21-2007, 12:50 PM

1. the kid it too small
2. its unethical

You must be kidding me... or just trying to get a rise out of people... right

CSACANNONEER
09-21-2007, 4:04 PM

1. the kid it too small
2. its unethical

?????????
$20/shot, you don't know what your talking about!

My 13 year old just shot his first FCSA match in August! They even have rules for a Junior Division! The FCSA would not do this if it was illegal! But, since you know it ALL, an 50s are too powerful, I guess you'ld never be interested in shooting one of my 50s! BTW, my 13 year old doesn't like the recoil of a 12g or even a 30/30 but he can shoot 50BMGs all day! He even shot a 10 3/4" 5 shot group @ 1000 yards with his own handloads! Not bad for his shooting first match ever!

stealthmode
09-23-2007, 5:36 PM
there is some definition about people under 18 are not allowed to posess, be lent (shoot) a registered assault weapon in california. I think it is vague and if it is true that you cant let even your own kid shoot your own property I would be very careful.

there was a whole discussion about the shooting fair that turners puts on and people bringing 50 bmgs there to let people shoot, and not letting kids shoot them from fear of DOJ reprisial.

I know that you cant leave your 50bmg to your kid when you die if you are in california. there is no law on the 50dtc.

CSACANNONEER
09-23-2007, 8:37 PM
there is some definition about people under 18 are not allowed to posess, be lent (shoot) a registered assault weapon in california. I think it is vague and if it is true that you cant let even your own kid shoot your own property I would be very careful.

there was a whole discussion about the shooting fair that turners puts on and people bringing 50 bmgs there to let people shoot, and not letting kids shoot them from fear of DOJ reprisial.

I know that you cant leave your 50bmg to your kid when you die if you are in california. there is no law on the 50dtc.

Yea, but, I never said that I let minors shoot my 50s while we are in Ca. As a matter of fact, there has not been a FCSA sanctioned match in Ca. for many years. So, obviously the match he just shot wasn't in Ca. I just can't believe that DJAP1 seriously thinks that a 50 has too much recoil or that it is wrong to let kids shoot them.

ivanimal
10-02-2007, 11:01 PM
DJAP1 has left the building. He was intent on giving everyone a headache.

Roo
10-02-2007, 11:17 PM
HAHAHA he got banned? Niiiiiiiiiccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GTKrockeTT
10-02-2007, 11:48 PM
DJAP gone? dat's baller...

CSACANNONEER
10-03-2007, 6:22 AM
Damn, I wanted to sell him a few rounds of 50 at the super discounted price of $15/round.