PDA

View Full Version : Can I ship guns to FFL for PPT?

WallyGeorge
09-09-2007, 8:49 PM
I have some rifles I would like to sell on Calguns.net and am wondering if it is legal for me to ship them once sold to a 01 FFL/dealer. Also, do I have to be there for paperwork and how does that work out?

Thanks for any help you can give me...

bwiese
09-09-2007, 9:01 PM
It is legal for you to ship firearms to any FFL (as long as they aren't AWs).

[Some FFLs require receiving from a shipping FFL, but that's their personal choice and not dictated by law.]

Give the FFL whatever info he needs to assist in his recordkeeping (likely just your name/address and maybe DL# for his comfort).

[Remember that non-approved handguns (that is, not on Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale and which are not exempt due to single-action, single-shot or over-50-yrs-old status ) must be transferred via PPT procedures, and there is a special 'gunshow transaction' method that DOJ approves of to allow PPTs between CA residents at a distance from each other requiring two FFLs.]

tenpercentfirearms
09-09-2007, 10:30 PM
The only way you can PPT is by being present with the buyer at the FFL where you both scan your driver's license into the computer.

You could technically ship your firearms to me and when you both show up later, I can then start a PPT, but it would probably make more sense for you to just show up with the gun.

If you ship the gun to another FFL and will not be present for the background check start, that is not a PPT.

FortCourageArmory
09-10-2007, 8:03 AM
+1 on what 10% said.

bwiese
09-10-2007, 9:15 AM
The only way you can PPT is by being present with the buyer at the FFL where you both scan your driver's license into the computer.

You could technically ship your firearms to me and when you both show up later, I can then start a PPT, but it would probably make more sense for you to just show up with the gun.

If you ship the gun to another FFL and will not be present for the background check start, that is not a PPT.

Well, perhaps it's not a true "PPT" per se, but non-Rostered handguns can indeed be transferred between two Californians via a 'gun show transaction' between two separate, distant FFLs in CA. Both parties do NOT need to show up at the same FFL; both parties must be CA residents. DOJ even offers guidance for this.

Calgunner 'mscale5' ('mscales5'??) wrote about this several months ago.

WallyGeorge
09-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Hmm,

So it looks like if I sell a gun to another member in CA, I will have to be present for the buyers FFL to transfer the gun? I was hoping it would be easier, but we do live in CA... :rolleyes:

Thank you very much everyone for your help with this! :D

tenpercentfirearms
09-11-2007, 5:55 AM
Hmm,

So it looks like if I sell a gun to another member in CA, I will have to be present for the buyers FFL to transfer the gun? I was hoping it would be easier, but we do live in CA... :rolleyes:

Thank you very much everyone for your help with this! :D

No, you can just as easily ship it to an FFL near the buyer. He is just going to have to pay more money to receive the firearm.

AJAX22
09-11-2007, 8:01 AM
It was my understanding that gun show FFL transactions could occur accross state lines (which is why I can travel to reno and buy a CZ52 on my C&R)... Would it be theoretically possible to have an out of state FFL start the gunshow paperwork and have it finished up by a CA FFL?

I need to read my FFL books again.

Perhapse the drop safety test doesn't cover guns that are sold between private parties regardless of where they are located.... The way its worded it doesnt seem to be intended to prevent private party transactions... providing that all state and federal laws are observed.