PDA

View Full Version : How long can senators and representatives stay in office?

Mark_in_Pasadena
09-09-2007, 1:51 PM
Feinstein has been in office since 1992, and I was thinking to myself, "When are we going to be rid of this lady?". Does anyone have any idea?

BTW - here's just a portion of her great record......:mad:

Corruption scandals and accusations

Between 2001 and 2006[23], Diane Feinstein served as the ranking member of the United States Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies, also known as the "MILCON" subcommittee. Feinstein also served as chair of the MILCON subcommittee when the Democrats controlled the Senate in 2001 and 2002.

While on the MILCON subcommitte, Feinstein voted for appropriations worth billions of dollars to firms owned by her husband, Richard C. Blum.[5] This included millions of dollars in contracts awarded to Blum's Perini Corporation to provide goods and services in Iraq and Afghanistan.[24]

As the ranking Democratic, Feinstein would have again become chair of the MILCON subcommittee when the Democratically controlled Senate of the 110th Congress was sworn in on January 4, 2007. However, Feinstein resigned from the subcommittee prior to the new congressional term, forfeiting chairmanship of the MILCON subcommittee to Tim Johnson.[25] Metro Newspapers reported that Feinstein's resignation was attributable to a series of articles, partially funded by the progressive Nation Institute, exposing the potential conflict of interest posed by Feinstein's voting to award contracts to her husband's firms.[26] [27]

In April 2007, Feinstein's office denied any ethical conflict,[28] however, the director of the Project on Government Oversight who has examined evidence assembled by investigative reporter Peter Byrne stated that “the paper trail showing Senator Feinstein’s conflict of interest is irrefutable.”[29][30]

Additional scandal arose when it was revealed that members of Feinstein's Senate staff attempted to purge references to these alleged conflicts of interest from the Wikipedia articles on herself and her husband.[31][32]

Additionally, in 1990, Senator Feinstein failed to disclose that her husband had guaranteed her 1990 campaign loans, which resulted in a US$190,000 fine.[33] This information was also initially deleted from Wikipedia by a Feinstein staffer in 2006.[34][32]

I found it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianne_Feinstein

chris
09-09-2007, 1:54 PM
i think were stuck with the witch until she dies.

Crazed_SS
09-09-2007, 1:54 PM
Senators stay in office until they're voted out. Dont think they have term limits.. The sad truth is Californians want Feinstein and that's why she's been one of our senators since '92.

Shane916
09-09-2007, 1:55 PM
The term of a Senator is six years. Members of the House of Representatives are elected every two years. There is no limit on the number of terms a Senator or Representative may serve.

Once elected, a Senator or Representative continues to serve until the expiration of his term, death, or resignation. The Constitution also permits the House to expell any member with a two-thirds vote.

metalhead357
09-09-2007, 1:59 PM
The term of a Senator is six years. Members of the House of Representatives are elected every two years. There is no limit on the number of terms a Senator or Representative may serve.

Once elected, a Senator or Representative continues to serve until the expiration of his term, death, or resignation. The Constitution also permits the House to expell any member with a two-thirds vote.

Yep.......... but notice how THEY ALL voted for term limits on the pres..... wouldn't have blamed 'em for it was FDR they were trying to boot;)

aplinker
09-09-2007, 2:15 PM
Yep.......... but notice how THEY ALL voted for term limits on the pres..... wouldn't have blamed 'em for it was FDR they were trying to boot;)

Unless they were alive during Thoman Jefferson's era, I don't think they voted for presidential term limits. ;)

Though Boxer and Feinstein both look wrinkly enough to have been alive in the 18th century.

Shane916
09-09-2007, 2:24 PM
Though Boxer and Feinstein both look wrinkly enough to have been alive in the 18th century.

Are you telling me they weren't?!??! :eek:

Mark_in_Pasadena
09-09-2007, 2:27 PM
Are you telling me they weren't?!??! :eek:

You know, you're a real jerk, now I've got beer to clean up on my laptop.....:rofl2:

metalhead357
09-09-2007, 3:03 PM
Unless they were alive during Thoman Jefferson's era, I don't think they voted for presidential term limits. ;)

LOL! You're right; my mind went immediately to the <fools> of FDR's era trying to get that turd out...never guestimating what thier actions may bring...Oh wait; Thats What THEY ALWAYS DO AND HAVE DONE;)

CCWFacts
09-09-2007, 3:19 PM
They can stay in office until they die or are voted out or resign or are expelled (rare).

Feinstein will not run for another term. Boxer will have to run against Arnie in the next Senate race. Arnie has more than a fighting chance in that. Who will be in the race when Feinstein retires? I have no idea. I also wonder who will run for gov after Arnie. I think Arnie is the only Republican around these days who has a shot at any state-wide office.

metalhead357
09-09-2007, 3:21 PM
Who will be in the race when Feinstein retires? I have no idea. I also wonder who will run for gov after Arnie.

METALHEAD FOR OFFICE '08:D

VegasND
09-09-2007, 3:42 PM
"How long can senators and representatives stay in office?"

Funny you should ask. The short and honest answer is:

"Too long."

dfletcher
09-09-2007, 4:36 PM

Actually, there were no constitutional presidential term limits until 1951 and I presume "Hag Alpha and Hag Bravo" were mere haglets at the time.

Certainly it was as a result of FDR's 4 terms, although the current (1951) President Truman was exempt. The first President thus constrained was Eisenhower and I think in 1960 the Republican Party would have preferred Eisenhower been eligible for a 3rd term.

Keeping in mind the current changes proposed to CA's electoral process, just goes to show how these things can have unintended consequences.

aplinker
09-09-2007, 6:04 PM
Actually, there were no constitutional presidential term limits until 1951 and I presume "Hag Alpha and Hag Bravo" were mere haglets at the time.

Certainly it was as a result of FDR's 4 terms, although the current (1951) President Truman was exempt. The first President thus constrained was Eisenhower and I think in 1960 the Republican Party would have preferred Eisenhower been eligible for a 3rd term.

Keeping in mind the current changes proposed to CA's electoral process, just goes to show how these things can have unintended consequences.

Ahhh history... convention is not the same as law. ;) You're, of course, right.

I wonder if, unlike past presidents (Washington, Jefferson), the current regimes would want to stick around for more than a couple terms? No, no, they're not in any way interested in royalty! :D

I think being president makes you actually responsible for anything that's not going well. Hence, even those who sought 3rd terms (with the sole exception), were not elected. Being a senator allows you the fortune of "blaming the other guy," allowing them to stay in forever. Also doesn't hurt that time in office leads to more power for that individual, and hence that state.

shark92651
09-09-2007, 9:33 PM
Ted Kennedy has been there since 1962. Even after he caused the death of a woman in 1969 he remained in power with only a minor slap on his wrist. I wonder if a senator could survive a scandal like that today?

CSDGuy
09-09-2007, 9:43 PM
Prior to FDR, it was essentially traditional that a sitting President not run for a 3rd term. Senators and Representatives have no term limits.

CSDGuy
09-09-2007, 9:44 PM
Ted Kennedy has been there since 1962. Even after he caused the death of a woman in 1969 he remained in power with only a minor slap on his wrist. I wonder if a senator could survive a scandal like that today?

The answer: He's not a Republican...

mcubed4130
09-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Feinstein will not run for another term. ... Who will be in the race when Feinstein retires? I have no idea. ...

WHAT?!?! Really? She's not going to run again? That's the best news I've heard in years.

:D How much longer? Maybe we should start a count-down clock?

-M3

dfletcher
09-09-2007, 10:40 PM

Could a Senator survive a similar incident? I doubt it. Could Teddy & would he be re - elected? Absolutely. No doubt, not even close.

metalhead357
09-09-2007, 10:42 PM
WHAT?!?! Really? She's not going to run again? That's the best news I've heard in years.

:D How much longer? Maybe we should start a count-down clock?

-M3

Dude...NO...just let her go quietly lest she weave another '94 & '89 curse upon us all as a parting gift!!!!!!!!!!

mblat
09-10-2007, 7:09 AM
It depends. If it is republican then until they are caught seeking for gay sex in airport bathroom. If it is democrat - until they kill someone.
Wait..... Kennedy still the senator....

mcubed4130
09-10-2007, 7:17 AM
Perhaps if the Dem, kills a high profile Dem - then they can loose office? But little things like $90,000 in cash in the freezer... bah that's not an issue at all.

-M3