PDA

View Full Version : Legal question about OAL

Lateralus
09-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I recently built an AKS-74. I would like to unpin the stock i fixed, but that would bring it below the 30" OAL.

Yesterday i was fooling around with the bayonet that came iwth the kit and realized that the bayonet might count towards OAL. In a recent thread we established OAL, unlike barrel length, does not need to be permanently attached to the rifle. With the bayonet on the rifle would be over 30" folded.

BEFORE I UNPIN MY STOCK, IS THIS LEGAL?

ETD1010
09-09-2007, 4:29 PM
yeah, in California, you'd better make sure that the OAL is FIXED and permanent at 30" . . . and I don't think bayonets counts... you can put a bbl extension on it, as long as it's welded. . . had a friend build a yugo underfolder like that.

Josh3239
09-09-2007, 4:57 PM
Fix the bayonet so that it cannot be removed maybe? That would definetly count as OAL.

aplinker
09-09-2007, 6:06 PM
sounds like a pretty dangerous way to get your 30" OAL.

:94:

JHC
09-09-2007, 7:22 PM
yeah, in California, you'd better make sure that the OAL is FIXED and permanent at 30" . . . and I don't think bayonets counts... you can put a bbl extension on it, as long as it's welded. . . had a friend build a yugo underfolder like that.

You don't have to weld on a barrel extension unless the barrel is less than 16 inches, and even that is just to keep you from creating an SBR.

I've never seen anything in the laws saying that your method for meeting OAL requirements had to be permanent, if there was such a requirement then we would all have to somehow permanently attach our buttstocks, you'd be committing a felony everytime you switched your furniture out.

I think Laterallus' method of obtaining his OAL meets the letter of the law, the only thing he has to worry about is the possibility of an LEO removing the extender to create a case in the event of a seizure, but if we're going to worry about that then we might as well be concerned about all of our ARs with bulletbuttons in them, what would keep an overzealous officer from releasing your 10 round mag and substituting on of the 30s sitting in his trunk, thus creating an AW and making a felony case?

dfletcher
09-09-2007, 7:32 PM
Fix the bayonet so that it cannot be removed maybe? That would definetly count as OAL.

Depending on the range you shoot at that might be a problem. Some I've been to require the bayonet be removed.

wayoutwest
09-09-2007, 7:41 PM
What happens if you unpin the folder and remove the bayonet, you are now less than 30 inches OR if someone else removes the bayo. Unless you plan on pinning the stock each time want to remove the bayo, sound like a lot of work.

Good point above about the bayo being on at the range.

IMHO
YMMV
Holiday Inn...

Lateralus
09-09-2007, 7:50 PM
there is a button to release the bayo, and i might be able to fashion a P50 device for it, but it is alot of work for something that IMHO has no point. Let me break it down.

1: the rifle right now is indeed legal.
2: i plan on putting a PBS-5 Suppressor on it when it comes. This will bring it to length w/o the bayo. I do not plan on welding it on. So therefore, the issue of law enforcement removing it is still present; all we can use is our word and trust that no law enforcement would try that hard to press bogus charges.

As for now, the stock will stay pinned just to avoid any issues until i get the PBS-5

50ae
09-10-2007, 3:16 AM
BTW guys, it's 26", not 30" IAW CPC 12020

2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of
the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in
length.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Quiet
09-10-2007, 7:08 AM
BTW guys, it's 26", not 30" IAW CPC 12020

2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of
the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in
length.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Since, it's a semi-auto and in CA, it's 30".

PC 12276.1(a)(3)
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Lateralus
09-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Sure.... semi..... lol :D

jk

i really hope i dont get arrested for that lol

Racefiend
09-10-2007, 11:38 AM
You don't have to weld on a barrel extension unless the barrel is less than 16 inches, and even that is just to keep you from creating an SBR.

I've never seen anything in the laws saying that your method for meeting OAL requirements had to be permanent, if there was such a requirement then we would all have to somehow permanently attach our buttstocks, you'd be committing a felony everytime you switched your furniture out.

I think Laterallus' method of obtaining his OAL meets the letter of the law, the only thing he has to worry about is the possibility of an LEO removing the extender to create a case in the event of a seizure, but if we're going to worry about that then we might as well be concerned about all of our ARs with bulletbuttons in them, what would keep an overzealous officer from releasing your 10 round mag and substituting on of the 30s sitting in his trunk, thus creating an AW and making a felony case?

I don't think it would work. It's like a folding stock. You can't say that "As long as it's extended, it will meet the OAL requirement, therefore I will never push the button and fold it." You are required to pin it. I would assume the same would hold true on the other end of the rifle, where you can just push a button and remove the bayo. It would need to be fixed somehow. Just my $0.01

JHC
09-10-2007, 3:33 PM
Pushing the button to "fold" the stock is one thing, pushing a button to "remove" a part which acheives OAL is another, after all an AKs muzzle brake is held on by threads and a pushbutton so if one were to install a fake can on the end of a barrel to acheive OAL it would still be removable by pressing that button.

50ae
09-10-2007, 5:40 PM
Thanks, another stupid law I have to add to my list.

PC 12276.1(a)(3)
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.