PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect from the V.C. Gun show

KevinA
01-22-2013, 6:14 PM
I believe there is a gun show scheduled for next month at the Ventura fairgrounds. I've never been to one and don't know anyone that has. What can I expect if I go. I'd be looking for a decent deal on an AR15 type and a pistol like a springfield XDM or a 1911. I heard somewhere you sit in a line for 6 hours to get in ect. Do I pick the gun up there or do I have to get it shipped to a FFL and 10 day wait? Is there any good deals or is more of just a "everyone come here this day" type thing? Used and new? Crappy worn out guns?

I seriously hove no idea what these things are about. Should I just go to a local shop or is a gun show worth it?

Thanks,

Kevin

TheExiled
01-22-2013, 7:06 PM
They used to be fun, good to pick up ammo and some rare parts and mag kits. Honestly I wouldn't bother going to this one, wait til the madness dies down a bit. Most of the good stuff will be gone before most can even get inside.

TheExiled
01-22-2013, 7:07 PM
If you're looking to buy a gun around Ventura, check out island view enterprises

TacticalPlinker
01-22-2013, 11:40 PM
I have not been to a gun show since this panic hit, but I would say it is a safe bet to expect long lines, overpriced everything and just a ton of people.

That said, please do not believe what the gun grabbers are spewing. You still have to have a background check, wait 10 days and pay DROS, etc. It gets a bit more complicated if you buy from a non-local vendor.

Don't expect to find anything, just show up and get what you get. Welcome to California gun shows.

bryanrmt
01-23-2013, 8:19 AM
who are the sponsor for this gun show? Is it the Crossroad of the west? What date and time? I heard Crossroad of the west is the best when it comes to gun show. Its a lot more different from the other sponsors.

TheExiled
01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
I think it is a crossroads show, but again, now is not the time to go to one..

MichaelKent
01-23-2013, 7:16 PM
I've been to the Ventura fairgrounds show a couple of times, and I went to the most recent show this month... never have I seen the place so packed and the selection so limited! Pulling into the almost-full parking lot was a strange experience.

Normally I could say you'll find all kinds of goodies there, but with panic season in full swing don't expect to see any great deals on ARs... or even any ARs at all. This month I saw several lowers, some at reasonable prices (like $129 for a stripped lower, which can range between $350-500 in the calguns marketplace now), but those all sold very quickly. Where in previous years I'd seen lots of AR and AK variants, this time I mostly saw "old-timey" rifles and shotguns. Those are still cool to be sure, but don't expect a plethora of modern weapons. I think the only complete AR I saw for sale was from a private seller walking around with the gun on his back and a little sign on it saying to make an offer.

You can probably find a good deal on a 1911, but I don't think you'll find one cheaper than in any normal gun store on an average day (I wasn't really looking at those to be honest). The Springfield XDM is off-roster last I checked, so you will not find FFL vendors selling those. Disregard media talking points, every gun law that applies to FFLs in CA applies equally inside a gun show, there are no special loopholes!

Unless it's a C&R, you can not walk out with any guns you buy that day. When you buy a gun at the show, many vendors have their own local shops where you can pick the gun up after 10 days have elapsed. Vendors that aren't local can ship to any FFL (usual fees apply). Alternatively, some vendors offer to hold your gun until the next show where you can pick it up then (in about a month or so) to avoid transfer fees.

There were many long, long lines. I never saw any 6 hour lines, but people waited 30-40 minutes to pick up an AR lower, and the Miwall ammo line went out the building! While many vendor ammo prices were quite inflated, the Miwall ammo remained more or less reasonable. I was able to pick up 1000 rounds of 7.62x39mm for ~$250, which wasn't too bad considering it's hard to find anywhere else.

Is it worth going? Eh, yeah. While it's definitely not as "worth it" as normal, I'd still say it's worth checking out, especially if you've never been to a gun show before. There are lots of interesting and friendly people to chat with (all sharing your same passion), there are some rather cool firearms for sale on display (just not modern), a good range of accessories (everything from holsters to knives, little military figurines, etc.) and ammo is actually available - which is more than can be said for many locations. However, you have to get there early on the first day, because the good stuff WILL go fast. Also, Calguns is going to have a booth there (I think) next month, so you can volunteer!

Meanwhile it's definitely worth checking out local gun shops such as Island View Enterprises.

I hope that helps. :)

lakersandguns
01-23-2013, 8:45 PM
What can you expect?
-high prices, tripple the cost
-crowd

xjdesertfox
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
I'd be looking for a decent deal on an AR15 type and a pistol like a springfield XDM or a 1911.

XDM's are not legal for sale from FFL's in CA unless yore a LEO. It is not on the roster. Only way to get one is PPT or SSE.

Capybara
02-01-2013, 6:10 PM
I am going to the next Ventura Gun Show. I was at the two before this one, but those were both before the total panic buying began. In order to be in the first 50 through the gate, how many hours before would you guesstimate I would need to be there? 6:00 AM?

Need to score some ammo and primers badly, if it takes waiting three hours in line, then that's what I will do.

vintagearms
02-01-2013, 6:18 PM
Show up at least by 6:30-7 max. If you find some Wolf MT for a reasonable price (under $50 a brick) pick me up 5k rounds. Im gonna be layed up for the next week or so with bronchitis.

Daryl Dixon
02-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Don't expect to find anything, just show up and get what you get.

I totally agree with this statement. The days of planning what I was actually going to purchase at the gun show are gone (at least temporarily) and forget showing up at 830 like I am used to. I had a buddy who got in line at 730 for the last show (they open at 9) and it was close to noon when he got out of there with his $260 can of 400rds of 5.56:confused:. He didn't do much shopping around either after his brother spent $70 on a 10/30 PMag:eek:. I think he said there were about 50-60 people ahead of him when he got in line.

Like everybody is saying, it might be better to wait depending on your personal situation.

astroboy
02-04-2013, 12:57 AM
What can you expect?
-high prices, tripple the cost
-crowd

THIS! :oji:

I would rather wait until all this panic craziness subsides before
I go to another gun show. The one that I went to this January,
had a four hour wait time just to get inside. I didn't even bother
to try to get in.

far from tactical
02-06-2013, 2:31 AM
I wanna go but don't want to deal with the crazy lines .. If I go it will be in the afternoon I know if I go late I will miss all the good stuff aww fml

chango17
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Yea I was thinking the same thing .. all the powders and other reloading components I want will be gone for sure. I might just drop by the one at the earl warren showgrounds in santa barbara instead ..

MichaelKent
02-08-2013, 7:39 PM
Last month I arrived at around 11am and just walked in. I was out by around 1pm having pretty much gotten what I wanted.

Sure if you come in late you may not get first chance at all the tastiest stuff, but it beats getting up early and standing in line all morning.

Kal-El in SLO
04-18-2013, 11:22 PM
I used to walk into this show at mid day and walk out with a couple thousand rounds of ammo about an hour later. those were the days.

dinosaurus
04-19-2013, 12:23 AM
I hear the guys throwing this show is better than the other?

far from tactical
04-19-2013, 2:01 AM
I hear the guys throwing this show is better than the other?

If its road runner then it's going to blow.. Like last months but if its crossroads then that's the one to go to

RedMonkey
04-19-2013, 9:45 AM
Hey guys,

I was at the Costa Masa show a couple of weeks ago. There was plenty of everything. It did seem to be slower than expected. Im guessing because everyone thinks there's no stock or lines will be crazy; It wasn't the case.

Most importantly, we will have our first CGN booth at this coming show. If anything come out and show your support. :-)

readysetgo
04-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Most importantly, we will have our first CGN booth at this coming show. If anything come out and show your support. :-)

^^^ THIS!

Innaugural CGN/CGSSA booth at the VC show! Who wouldn't want to come check that out? :43:

Dates : April 27 & 28 2013
Time: Sat. 9-5 & Sun. 9-4
Location: Ventura County Fairgrounds @ 10 Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
Crossroads of the West info: http://crossroadsgunshows.com

TacticalPlinker
04-20-2013, 3:26 PM
Absolutely! It's our 1st gun show here in VC, but we're all looking forward to it. If any CalGuns members go to the show, most definitely be sure to stop by, say hello, and show your support.

^^^ THIS!

Innaugural CGN/CGSSA booth at the VC show! Who wouldn't want to come check that out? :43:

Dates : April 27 & 28 2013
Time: Sat. 9-5 & Sun. 9-4
Location: Ventura County Fairgrounds @ 10 Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
Crossroads of the West info: http://crossroadsgunshows.com

lakersandguns
04-20-2013, 5:13 PM
Absolutely! It's our 1st gun show here in VC, but we're all looking forward to it. If any CalGuns members go to the show, most definitely be sure to stop by, say hello, and show your support.

Any calguns gear for sale

Simi-Surfer
04-20-2013, 6:42 PM
At the last show in Ventura, I showed up around 2pm and got everything I needed to pick up.

TacticalPlinker
04-20-2013, 8:19 PM
Any calguns gear for sale

Yes. We have a full kit. Shirts, stickers, patches, etc... All funds donated at the show go directly to the CGSSA to help fund community projects and events (such as the gun show booth), and you'll get some top notch CG/CGSSA swag!

baggss
04-21-2013, 1:04 PM
At the last show in Ventura, I showed up around 2pm and got everything I needed to pick up.

I did the same. Went Saturday Afternoon. No line, a bit of a crowd and plenty of everything. Bought my Beretta PX-4 from the IVE booth, hit the ammo tent and bought 40s and 9s and then went home. Not bad at all.

dinosaurus
04-21-2013, 9:45 PM
Cant make saturday because of work. Whens a good time sunday? Interested mainly in 10rd AR mags and ammo in 5.56/.223 caliber

Cult Hero
04-23-2013, 2:46 PM
This is a crossroads show

bluonyx
04-23-2013, 3:10 PM
If you're looking to buy a gun around Ventura, check out island view enterprises

I second island view. Nice people there. And as for the show I wouldn't even bother. When you get there you waste your gas, entry fee and time. Good luck though.

Cult Hero
04-23-2013, 3:14 PM
How much is the entry fee?

nastyhabts26
04-23-2013, 3:18 PM
Long lines and short of ammo.

bluonyx
04-23-2013, 3:32 PM
How much is the entry fee?

I believe its $9 plus $5 for parking

TacticalPlinker
04-23-2013, 3:34 PM
Admission for the show is $12 per person. Parking is $5.

That said, I don't think the show is a waste of time. Unfortunately supply & demand are not exclusive to the gun shows. Neither are lines or prices.

The good news is two-fold;

#1. The shows have calmed down a lot. The last show I attended was no where near as crowded as I expected it to be.

#2. CalGuns/CGSSA will have a booth at the show. We'll be there all day on both Saturday and Sunday. So come by and show your support.

readysetgo
04-23-2013, 4:07 PM
Don't forget, you can pre order your tickets online for $11 here: https://www.ezticketlive.com/checkout/event_view.asp?id=29

and/or you can print a $1 off coupon here: http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/coupon.php

BIGDOG805
04-23-2013, 4:10 PM
What were .223 reloads going for at the last gun show? Can anyone chime in =)?

Kwallis2
04-24-2013, 9:17 AM
the last gun show had no .223 reloads only handgun ammo.

5.0Driver
04-24-2013, 1:55 PM
Don't forget the kettle corn.

Quickbeam
04-25-2013, 7:03 PM
I'm looking forward to heading up and checking it out, this will be my first gun show as an adult. Last time I went I was like 9. I'm hoping to pick up some .223 or 5.56, how much per round do you guys think?

I am definitely going to stop by the CG booth and pick up some apparel!

Goop
04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
The price of guns and ammo has really soared in the last few months. This has also carried over to the gun shows as well unfortunately. If you are going for the sole purpose of checking out firearms or buying ammo, you will be very disappointed I’m afraid. However if you are going to check out other memorabilia, accessories, knives, clothing, leather, survival stuff, etc. It will be a lot of fun.

Quickbeam
04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Well I'm not expecting super-fantastic deals or anything but prices have got to be better than $1.00 -$1.20 per round of .223 at my local store, right?

TacticalPlinker
04-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Well I'm not expecting super-fantastic deals or anything but prices have got to be better than $1.00 -$1.20 per round of .223 at my local store, right?

Please guys... We are not selling ammo. We have no knowledge or control over what vendors are selling their ammo for, or what vendors will be present and what specifically vendors will be selling...

Everything from vendor, to product, to price will and does change from show to show. It's impossible to know. Any post you see claiming otherwise is speculation (or a lie), plain and simple.

Please stop asking.

That said, come see for yourself. Maybe you'll find a deal, maybe you won't. But if nothing else, stop by the CalGuns/CGSSA booth and show your support!

reachoutar
04-26-2013, 12:25 PM
this is a cross roads show so all the big vendors will be there. I will be there working a booth with my uncle. He will be the booth with all the brass for sale. stop by and say hi.

readysetgo
04-27-2013, 8:58 AM
We're waiting for you guys!

dinosaurus
04-27-2013, 9:48 AM
Hows the lines so far if any?

readysetgo
04-27-2013, 1:49 PM
Hows the lines so far if any?

Doesn't look bad. Pretty big line at open but it moved smoothly. Haven't looked prices and inventory, sorry

Eta:

LAX .22 @ $60 brick, .223/556 around .75 a round.

BIGDOG805
04-28-2013, 11:03 AM
What was the price for 9mm and .45?

readysetgo
04-28-2013, 1:56 PM
What was the price for 9mm and .45?

If I tell you, you gonna come out?!?!

baggss
04-28-2013, 5:07 PM
I went by this afternoon. Parking and admission were as previously stated. Went around noon, no lines to get in, short line at one ammo booth (inside), no real line at the LAX firing range ammo booth (outside)

Wandered for 3 hours or so. Left with 500 rds on new 9MM ($210* + tax) and 500 Rds of reloaded .40 ($189 with tax). Not too bad and about on par for market price right now. Only thing I didn't get was .45 ACP as it still seemed a bit more than I wanted to pay (IVE is still cheaper, or was a few weeks ago).

Also grabbed some electronic ears, a light mount for my PX-4 and some other stuff.

Too bad the next Crossroads show isn't until December here in VTA. I'll have to hit the ones in LA etc over the summer if I can.

TacticalPlinker
04-28-2013, 6:54 PM
@ baggs; There is a actually a show in September.

Did you stop by the CalGuns booth while you at the show and say hello?

readysetgo
04-28-2013, 8:11 PM

We need to double check that info! Xroads is listing the next date in Dec. they may have previously listed Sep 13 but it's not up anymore, IDK. It does seem our next Xroads show (in VC) isn't for 7+ months!

RedMonkey
04-28-2013, 8:14 PM
Unless Xroads adds a show to their schedule, the next CGN/CGSSA booth will be at the Xroads show in December.

dinosaurus
04-28-2013, 10:22 PM
I went by this afternoon. Parking and admission were as previously stated. Went around noon, no lines to get in, short line at one ammo booth (inside), no real line at the LAX firing range ammo booth (outside)

Wandered for 3 hours or so. Left with 500 rds on new 9MM ($197 + tax) and 500 Rds of reloaded .40 ($189 with tax). Not too bad and about on par for market price right now. Only thing I didn't get was .45 ACP as it still seemed a bit more than I wanted to pay (IVE is still cheaper, or was a few weeks ago).

Also grabbed some electronic ears, a light mount for my PX-4 and some other stuff.

Too bad the next Crossroads show isn't until December here in VTA. I'll have to hit the ones in LA etc over the summer if I can.

Which booth had the 500rds of new 9mm?

baggss
04-28-2013, 10:35 PM

Did you stop by the CalGuns booth while you at the show and say hello?

Is it a CRotW?

Surly did stop by! Got my sticker even!

Unless Xroads adds a show to their schedule, the next CGN/CGSSA booth will be at the Xroads show in December.

Agree. I believe it's Dec 21-22.

Which booth had the 500rds of new 9mm?

The guys that were inside of the Anacapa building I believe (the first exhibition hall on the left). They were the same one that had the booth outside to the right of the entrance. They stopped selling anything outside right as I got there and were directing everyone inside. The guys from the LAX Firing Range only had reloaded 9mm and I know my 9 shoots reloads pretty poorly.

TacticalPlinker
04-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Crossroads may have indeed very well changed the show schedule for 2013, I know that happens from time to time.

If that is the case, then ignore my comment about September. I have not checked online lately, just a paper schedule I picked up at the last Crossroads show before this weekend.

Maybe we can work out something special for the next show since we have about 7 months to plan and prepare.

dinosaurus
04-29-2013, 1:01 AM
Is it a CRotW?

Surly did stop by! Got my sticker even!

Agree. I believe it's Dec 21-22.

The guys that were inside of the Anacapa building I believe (the first exhibition hall on the left). They were the same one that had the booth outside to the right of the entrance. They stopped selling anything outside right as I got there and were directing everyone inside. The guys from the LAX Firing Range only had reloaded 9mm and I know my 9 shoots reloads pretty poorly.

The one with all the ammo on the orange racks right? I bought 500rds 9mm new but its was $210 plus tax. Was it off the pallet by the first registers on the left? In a black can no brand?

baggss
04-29-2013, 7:41 AM
The one with all the ammo on the orange racks right? I bought 500rds 9mm new but its was $210 plus tax. Was it off the pallet by the first registers on the left? In a black can no brand?

Yep, you're right. I just pulled my receipt out of the box and that's the price. Think I was thinking of the reload 9mm they had on the pallet up front that I was going to grab until I realized it was reload. Correction made to my previous post.

FYI, the receipt shows "MiWall Corp out Grass Valley Ca.

dinosaurus
04-29-2013, 9:00 AM
^ yeah its still cheaper than what lax ammo was asking for factory brand new. Does miwall go to the mcmamn shows? I think I overheard lax ammo does not go to mcmann

TacticalPlinker
04-29-2013, 1:06 PM
^ yeah its still cheaper than what lax ammo was asking for factory brand new. Does miwall go to the mcmamn shows? I think I overheard lax ammo does not go to mcmann

Generally speaking, yes, both MiWall and LAX attend both the Crossroads and the McMann/Roadrunner shows. Or at least they've been at the show every time I have attended either.

LAX used to have good prices on their reloads. They even sell/sold them at the local Turner's. I bought 2 500rd boxes for just over $100 each in 2012...... But of course, both price and availability have changed since the panic set in.

I'd also like to note that I've shot almost all of those 1k reloads from LAX, and thus far I have literally only had 1 bad round. Which just happened on Friday (either bad primer or light strike).

All rounds have been fired from a Glock 19 9mm as well, which again the only issue I've with the gun has literally been that 1 round on Friday.

This speaks highly of the quality of both Glock and the LAX reloads. Both are solid and both are/were well worth the price I paid.

baggss
04-29-2013, 5:09 PM
I went to the last RR show in VTA and neither were there that I saw. or maybe I just missed them.

dinosaurus
04-29-2013, 7:16 PM
As far as reloads go ive been reading nothing but good reviews for LAX. On the other hand miwall has better prices for factory brand new