PDA

View Full Version : Clean up day again at Panoche - Oct 18th or 25th 2008 - RSVP here

1919A4
09-07-2007, 7:34 PM
Do you guys remember this. Look how fricken clean the first gate/shooting area is after we were done.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/the_lynch_family/DSCF2829.jpg

ghettoshecky
09-07-2007, 8:01 PM
what is this, is this Jacumba?

joel1316
09-08-2007, 8:25 AM
Nice! Probably only stayed that way for a short time unfortunantely...

TonyM
09-08-2007, 8:59 AM
what is this, is this Jacumba?

No, this is Panoche Hills BLM.

I've never seen it that clean. THAT HAS TO BE A PHOTOSHOP!!! :)

1919A4
09-08-2007, 1:14 PM
ya, This is Panoche Hills BLM right at the first gate/shooting area. We had a clean up day there last year. There were eleven of us guys that showed up . I could only imagine what it must look like by now. I am going back up there to do it again next month.

Illiana
09-11-2007, 8:44 PM
Perhaps the clean up day can coincide with the scheduled CalGuns shoot @ Panoche on 21 October? I'll be camping out there that weekend and can be of help.

Turbinator
09-15-2007, 8:37 PM
I went last time for the cleanup, I'd be willing to go again this time and bring friends again. Let's organize something. Will the BLM get involved like last year?

Turby

DBA Samsun
09-15-2007, 9:35 PM
what does it look like now?

Santa Cruz Armory
09-15-2007, 9:53 PM
It didn't look good at the last shoot on St. Patricks day... I can only imagine what it looks like now. There was alot of crap down in the canyon there also. :mad:

I'm in to clean for a while on the 21st. I'll bring a couple rakes, a snow shovel and some trash cans/ bags.

chris_furby
09-23-2008, 9:11 PM
My son and I were up there this last weekend. It's a mess with cardboard and ammo boxes scattered everywhere. We picked up a little, but it needs a cleanup day.

Turbinator
09-24-2008, 3:20 PM
Guys, if you are interested in a clean up day - I was told to call the following folks to get this going:

Contact Eric Wergeland at 831-630-5025 or David Mooreat 831-630-5035

Apologies, I have been a bit wrapped up with work stuff to get this moving, but if someone wants to organize, that would be awesome.

Turby

Turbinator
09-24-2008, 3:30 PM
Ok, hold on, I've just sent those two guys an e-mail:

Eric, David,

Hi, my name is xxxx. I'm part of a larger group of Bay Area and other local California residents who enjoy using Panoche as our target shooting area. Many of us are working professionals with families and a sense of community responsibility - some are gun shop owners who also share in this sense of responsibility towards maintaining our local shooting areas.

We noticed that Panoche is used by all types of people, including those who unfortunately do not feel it is their responsibility to pick up after themselves. I can tell you, my parents raised me to clean up after myself, and that is precisely what I do when I utilize our public lands at Panoche.

There have been a couple other cleanup efforts organized by Jason and Lesly in the past, and ever since I was made aware of these efforts, I've gone every time. There is a group of us, members of an online community called Calguns, who show up and help pitch in labor and time to get the cleanup effort done. The results are spectacular - trash is packed up and bagged, and the BLM has been kind enough to help us truck it out every time.

I'd like to ensure that this October tradition continues this year and every year, in the spirit of looking after our natural resources. I am hoping that you gentlemen can help get this year's effort kicked off in the right direction - let's agree a day and time to meet, and I will do the work of getting the word out and gathering up volunteers. We can bring our own basic tools - hoping the BLM can help provide bags and a truck as previously was done. When we are done, we usually relax to an afternoon of target shooting, after which of course we pick up after ourselves.

Would you be able to help out and work with me to get this scheduled?

We shall see how they reply.

Turby

ldivinag
09-24-2008, 4:12 PM
dont forget to contact the BLM folks.

they can sometimes provide a gigantic trash bin...

Turbinator
09-24-2008, 4:40 PM
dont forget to contact the BLM folks.

they can sometimes provide a gigantic trash bin...

Just to be clear, the two dudes I emailed are BLM guys.

Turby

Turbinator
09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Update for those interested -

Hi, Sounds great! When would you like to meet and what date for the event?I'm sure we can continue this tradition. Getting a truck and bags is noproblem.We just need to know what works for your group(s) for an event date. Thanks, Eric Wergeland

Guys, I suggest either weekend of Oct 18th or weekend of Oct 25th. Pick one.. 25th is pretty good for me.

Let's also start getting a headcount, informally, just to gauge how many people are going to help with the cleanup efforts.

Turby

diginit
09-25-2008, 6:35 PM
It wasn't as bad last weekend as I've seen it in the past. Lots of shotgun shells and ammo boxes and junk targets. But the canyon is going to take some work. Bring lots of rope and a large wooden crate. We could pull the junk up with a truck. The 18th or 19th will be better for me. Since I plan on going anyways. The 25th is too close to rent time and the 70 bucks in gas would blow my budget.

Turbinator
09-27-2008, 8:09 AM
Bump to the top, as I want to put this together and make it work.

Turby

Beelzy
09-27-2008, 1:45 PM
How does one get to Panoche range???

I take it that its by S.L. Resevoir?

diginit
09-27-2008, 9:36 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html

11Z50
09-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Turby, I might be able to put together a few folks from my area who'd like to pitch in. PM me.

Turbinator
09-27-2008, 11:24 PM
How does one get to Panoche range???

I take it that its by S.L. Resevoir?

If you go there - please do not become one of the reasons why we need a cleanup day at Panoche. Thanks...!

Turby

Beelzy
09-28-2008, 7:15 AM
If you go there - please do not become one of the reasons why we need a cleanup day at Panoche. Thanks...!

Turby

Dude! That was cold......Just because I have a belt-fed doesn't mean I
make a mess. :p

Turbinator
09-28-2008, 9:28 AM
Dude! That was cold......Just because I have a belt-fed doesn't mean I
make a mess. :p

Yeah, sorry.. just that every time we go there and there's tons of trash, I just wonder if these shooters know that they are the ones helping us get our shooting spots closed down.

Why don't you join us for the cleanup? Bring your belt-fed, you're more than welcome to shoot it :)

Turby

djbooya
09-28-2008, 10:28 AM
About how far is this Panoche (drive time / mileage) from San Jose?

diginit
09-28-2008, 8:56 PM
Takes about 2 hours either way. I can usually make it in 2 hours the back way through Hollister. HWY 25, to the left at the J-1 road, to the left at Panoche rd. But there are a few sights between there and Panoche that usually slow me down to 3 hours. You can also take 101 S. and cut across 152 W.(Pacheco Pass) to I-5 S. to the Mercy Hot Springs exit. Head E. Past the Turney Hills BLM, to the LEFT hand turn At Panoche Hills BLM onto 4 miles decent dirt road of to the top of the hill. And beyond.

DrunkSkunk
09-28-2008, 9:10 PM
You guys going to clean Panocha again?

Turbinator
09-29-2008, 3:17 PM
You guys going to clean Panocha again?

Yes - and it looks like early November might be looking better for my friends, so I may let the BLM guys know this is the case.

With this in mind - please RSVP here so that I can help coordinate this effort.

Thanks all,
Turby

Illiana
10-02-2008, 1:37 PM
I'm keen to participate in the clean-up 18 October would suit me.

ldivinag
10-09-2008, 9:50 AM
turb...

any new news?

Turbinator
10-09-2008, 5:22 PM
Not really. Not a whole lot of people RSVP'ed. The rangers are standing by, but my group can't make it, so we're out (for now). I can still ask the rangers to be there but for 3 or 4 people? I was hoping for more like a group of 10+.

Anyone else?

Turby

ldivinag
10-09-2008, 8:16 PM
so the 18th is out...

how about the nov (but not the 1st) date?

plus, the 18th is a CUSTOMER APPRECIATION day at the GUN VAULT...

new cal shooter
10-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I'll be there to shoot / clean where can we compile the trash? would we be able to drop it off at the lake parking lot on the way in to panoche? they have a few trash cans there, would that work for the BLM guys? Either way see you's guy's there 18th

TeirHawg
10-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I was planning to show up on the 18th. Is it still on? What time and what to bring?

Seems like every time a Pachone day is planned, it gets canceled or moved at the last moment. I'm not very close, and my work schedule is locked in months in advance, so not able to make the 25th.

new cal shooter
10-10-2008, 3:44 PM
trash bag's and gloves I guess, pick up truck would be nice. I'll be there for sure.

diginit
10-10-2008, 10:44 PM
The 18th is on for me. I'm camping overnight for a getaway from the pit.(SJ). I'm bringing firewood(with my fire permit) A fifth of quervo gold.(not to be confused with Wolf gold). And other good spirits. In order to have a good time and clean up the sht left by others to help keep this place open and a nice spot for responsible campers/shooters to enjoy.
The 8th of Nov is on too! I hope a few Calgunners will donate an hour or so to help clean up and keep this place from being shut down like others iin California.

Turbinator
10-11-2008, 8:56 PM
I just wrote PM's to two people saying that a cleanup looked unlikely, but in this thread it looks like there are at least 4 people here who are planning to show up and will help out. If you guys want me to signal to the BLM that you'll be there to clean up for at least a couple of hours, then I'll write back to them and let them know to be there with their trucks and trash bags.

Let me know if you guys say it's a "GO" and I'll get that rolling with the BLM rangers.

Turby

s2000news
10-16-2008, 8:03 PM
Hey guys,

I will be on the Nov 8 overnight trip for sure, but this Oct 18th is looking bad for me. I have to work late Friday night now, and with a late start, and the rumors of rain.... might not work out with my schedule.

:(

I hope weather and work cooperates for me in Nov.

Turbinator
10-18-2008, 8:52 AM
Sounds like Nov 8th is going to work better for most people. I will ask the rangers if they can do Nov 8th.

Turby

diginit
11-14-2008, 9:52 PM
So.....When is this going to happen. Or we all asleep at the wheel.
I'll try to make it. With a small bbq, and hot links! Loud music, Cold cokes, and ammo.(to give me something else to cleanup and reload)
Trash bags too. We just need a date when more than 6 people will show up. 10 or so and we can have it done in a jiffy.
Not showing up this year is making Calgunners look like everyone else in the eyes of the rangers.

Turbinator
11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Never happened. I didn't make it to Panoche this season, and it didn't seem like anyone else was pulling anything together, so it fell apart.

If anyone still wants to gather a group of 10+ people, please post, and I'll coordinate something with the rangers.

Turby