PDA

View Full Version : A Little confused here

Nickvllfold
09-07-2007, 7:21 PM
I was just reading the OLL FAQ and it says,"NEVER HAVE AN OFF-LIST LOWER RECEIVER WITH AN OPEN MAGAZINE WELL AND A PISTOL GRIP OR FOLDING (etc.) STOCK STILL ATTACHED - EVEN FOR A MOMENT!!" So does this mean if you wanted to transport your gun with the "evil features" and a lock you couldn't put a lock through the breach and out the mag well or it would be considered a AW? :confused: so basically if i have a bullet button kit on my oll and I dropped the mag to reload it my rifle would then become am AW?

mth
09-07-2007, 7:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that by open magwell, they meant a magwell in the state that could accept a magazine (i.e. lock off), the (rather humorous) logic on the part of the prosecution then being that you could hold a magazine in with your hand and fire, constituting a detachable mag situation and rendering it an AW.

rkt88edmo
09-07-2007, 8:03 PM
That wording is "pre-bullet button" and could use a little updating.

bwiese
09-07-2007, 11:43 PM
(It's coming, it's coming, I worked on it on the flight home. Will post this wknd).

That was originally written at the height of hyperconservatism walking a narrow line. A bit more clarity has arisen since....

Firstly, a receiver - even with features like pistol grip and/or telestock attached - IS SIMPLY NOT A SEMIAUTO CENTERFIRE RIFLE. Therefore it can't be an AW.

Second place, the 'open magwell' situation is worked around with mag fixing method like the BulletButton mag catch, which allows a 10rd fixed mag to be removed with a tool.

However, you should not have an assembled rifle without some sort of fixed-mag attachment device requiring a tool. If you build an AR rifle with no mag catch, it can still operate with a mag in a half-assed way and doesn't require a tool (obviously) for removal so it's an illegal rifle.