PDA

View Full Version : Fish Antibiotics for Humans?

Addy
01-20-2013, 9:42 PM
Has anyone else heard that the same antibiotics you buy for fish tanks are the same pharmacy grade for people? Penicillin , Amoxicillin , Cipro etc...

keenkeen
01-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Yes but be careful...

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/imgres_2383.jpeg

johnthomas
01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Here you go.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/73927-Fish-antibiotics-for-human-use

Fern
01-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Tagged

Gabriel80
01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Yes, I got two poor friends that do it. It worked for them!

Jimmy310
01-20-2013, 11:01 PM
I have a friend who took fish mox forte (amoxicillin 500mg) he bought off ebay from a US Seller and took a 10 day regiment of 2 pills a day to kill off a sinus/ear infection. Says he'd do it again, with another type of antibiotic as most dr's wont prescribe the same antibiotic they issued the last time because the bacteria in your body builds immunity to the antibiotics.

Librarian
01-20-2013, 11:07 PM
However, while a tiny bit overstated, the caution there is worthwhile: IF YOU DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOURE DOING WITH ANTIBIOTICS - DONT ADMINISTER THEM!!! You could kill somebody, or breed a resistant strain of bacteria.In a disaster situation, the worry about resistant bacteria needs a bit of refinement: for an individual patient, using the wrong ABX, or the wrong amounts or wrong frequency or wrong duration can kill off some of the infection - but the survivors might just be the ones with higher antibiotic resistance, leading to a worse infection than was initially present.

Sinestr
01-21-2013, 9:45 AM
Here is a good read on the subject http://www.truthistreason.net/guide-to-veterinary-drugs-for-human-consumption-post-shtf

Librarian
01-21-2013, 12:34 PM
And, if you want to know what's really going on, it's about time you did something like join Medscape.

It's free.

For example, look at http://reference.medscape.com/drug/amoxil-moxatag-amoxicillin-342473

That's what amoxycillin is good for, the doses and the frequency.

Then, another tab is

Mechanism of Action

Derivative of ampicillin and has similar antibacterial spectrum (certain gram-positive and gram-negative organisms); similar bactericidal action as penicillin; acts on susceptible bacteria during multiplication stage by inhibiting cell wall mucopeptide biosynthesis; superior bioavailability and stability to gastric acid and has broader spectrum of activity than penicillin; less active than penicillin against Streptococcus pneumococcus; penicillin-resistant strains also resistant to amoxicillin, but higher doses may be effective; more effective against gram-negative organisms (eg, N meningitidis, H influenzae) than penicillin

Absorption

Rapidly absorbed

Bioavailability: 74-92%

Peak plasma time: 1-2hr

Distribution

Most body fluids and bone, CSF <1%

Protein bound: 17-20%

Metabolism

Hepatic

Half-life: 61.3 minutes

Elimination

Excretion: Urine

Orally administered doses of 250-mg and 500-mg amoxicillin capsules result in average peak blood levels 1 to 2 hours after administration in the range of 3.5 mcg/mL to 5.0 mcg/mL and 5.5 mcg/mL to 7.5 mcg/mL, respectively. http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/amoxil/description_pharmacology/

A lot of the doses are 'q 8 hr' - that is, "q" = "every".

That's because the 'half-life' is about 1 hour. A therapeutic level is 'enough of the drug in the blood to have an effect', and sometimes that level is determined by the life cycle of the bug you are fighting.

In the first hour, you have the full dose circulating. (Actually, it's continuous ramp-up and decline rather than step-wise, but at particular time-increments - multiples of the half-life - 'divide by 2' is close enough.)

After 2 hours, 1/2 is left. Another hour, 1/4. 4 hours, 1/8. 5 hours, 1/16. 6 hours, 1/32. 7 hours, 1/64. 8 hours, you take the next dose, and in that following hour you have 1/128 + the ramp-up to full dose.

Manolito
01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I had to smile Librarian. There were 8 kids and Mom and Dad money was non existant. The sickest kid would go to the Dr. and get a prescription. Mom would go to the feed store and buy the medicine for the other 7 of us and administer as per the one prescription she had. I often thought I should Moo like a cow or some other barn yard animal.

Today California has a lot more restrictions on antibiotics at feed stores. She would weigh us each and often inject the prescribed amount. Different times back then 60 years ago.

01-22-2013, 6:44 AM
ive heard similar, ok for us to eat and much cheaper

guns4life
01-22-2013, 6:51 AM
Yup, sent a friend to the fish store with an infected tooth and no insurance...worked for him.

eviioiive
01-22-2013, 7:52 AM
Same maker, same markings, same regulations, same ingredients, same pills.

bill_k_lopez
01-22-2013, 7:57 AM
For common use or self diagnosis I'd say don't. Go see a doctor.

For keeping in case of emergency, like disaster or SHTF - its the same thing you get with a prescription from a doctor at the pharmacy.

Be smart and read up on what you are buying, some antibiotics become toxic after their expiration date.

bakokid
02-10-2013, 3:40 PM
girlfriend works at a vet hospital, it works and pharma is good far past exp dates

pat4wd
02-10-2013, 9:11 PM
What is the shelf life of most of these?

Beatone
02-10-2013, 9:22 PM
I haven't been sick in three years. ;)

pat4wd
02-11-2013, 7:18 PM
Nobody knows shelf life?

Librarian
02-11-2013, 7:56 PM
Nobody knows shelf life?

It's variable, and 'shelf life' isn't quite the issue.

The drugs have an expiration date; for pills and such it's usually 1 year. But that's a CYA date for the manufacturer, and is generally adopted as binding by hospitals and licensed care facilities.

Here's a link talking about amoxicilin - http://www.wisegeek.com/what-factors-affect-the-shelf-life-of-amoxicillin.htm

How much effectiveness loss is associated with age alone is hard to separate from how much loss is associated with the storage conditions. Recommended storage for amox is STORAGE: Store at room temperature according to the product labeling, away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom.http://www.medicinenet.com/amoxicillin_tablet_875mg-oral/page4.htm#Storage
Here's another: STORAGE: Store Amoxil capsules as well as 125 and 250 mg dry powder at or below 20C (68F); tablets, chewable tablets, as well as 200 and 400 mg dry powder should be stored at or below 25C(77F). Store Trimox capsules and unreconstituted powder at or below 20C (68F) and chewable tablets at room temperature 15-30C (59-86F). Powder that has been mixed with water should be discarded after 14 days. Refrigeration is preferred but not required for powder mixed with water. http://www.medicinenet.com/amoxicillin/article.htm

ClickClickPow
02-13-2013, 7:23 PM
Don't take animal antibiotics, go see a licensed health care provider! If you live in Los Angeles county, you have community health clinics throughout the county providing affordable (sometimes free) healthcare, including prescriptions! Yes the wait time can be long, but it's your health and body, there is nothing more important. Self medicating with antibiotics is never a good idea, that can promote antibiotic resistant organism such VRE or MRSA! Check your county for available healthcare options

eam
02-13-2013, 7:27 PM
D*mn, you just unlocked a suppressed memory!

My mom used to give us tetracycline from the fish store.

I had forgotten that.

pat4wd
02-13-2013, 7:37 PM
Don't take animal antibiotics, go see a licensed health care provider! If you live in Los Angeles county, you have community health clinics throughout the county providing affordable (sometimes free) healthcare, including prescriptions! Yes the wait time can be long, but it's your health and body, there is nothing more important. Self medicating with antibiotics is never a good idea, that can promote antibiotic resistant organism such VRE or MRSA! Check your county for available healthcare options

I think in a shtf. Situation it could be a life saver(kind of the point of the thread I think).. as a everyday thing instead of the doc.. not for me.

stix213
02-14-2013, 2:23 AM
Get some Fish Flox Forte (Ciprofloxacin). It has a long shelf life (bought some last year that expires in 2015, but I've read with proper storage Cipro can potentially go 8+ years) and can treat a variety of infections from some STD's to an Anthrax attack.

I've actually used it on myself when after I went to the doctor twice for the same problem, and both times they misdiagnosed it doing nothing for me, I researched it myself and resolved the problem. I swear doctors are given too much credit. I'd say they use the guess and check method, but they often don't even bother to do the check part.

iBkickinit
02-17-2013, 2:59 PM
If I had access to real stuff from a doc, then I wouldn't, but you better believe I have quote a bit of fish meds set aside in my supplies.

Daesu
02-18-2013, 7:03 AM
tag for later