PDA

View Full Version : Contact Arnold - we need his VETO now!

Rivers
09-07-2007, 10:15 AM
The CA legislature passed AB 821 (lead ammo ban) and it's going to his desk now. We need this stopped. Like so many other "not gun control" laws, this is a sideline attack on all guns in CA. The lawmakers, very much straight along party lines, make an unproven claim that puts the blame on lead bullets for the condors' ills. So obviously ban lead ammo, right? But what alternatives are there? How many rifles and shotguns will accept those alternatives? Are those alternatives proven as humane hunting ammunition? How many hunters will simply hunt in other states? What about the portion of the hunting license fees that goes now to support the condor preservation?

http://gov.ca.gov/interact

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0801-0850/ab_821_bill_20070711_amended_sen_v97.html

To simplify things, here is my email to the Gov. Copy, paste and edit to suit your own opinion.
///
Please veto AB 821 - Lead Ammo Ban (NavaRidley)

The causal relationship of lead bullets harming condors is unproven. This law mandates other "non-lead" ammunition for hunting yet that ammunition may not be appropriate for humane hunting purposes. The "funding" is specifically "as availalbe" meaning there is no budget for this bill.

Most importantly, CA hunters pay a significant amount into the condor preservation fund through licensing fees, etc. This bill will send hunting out of CA, significantly reducing the condor support budget and thus actually harming the wildlife that this bill purports to help.

In truth, this is just another anti-gun piece of legislation courtesy of a first-term Democrat. Please stop this madness. Veto AB 821.

Thank you.

Bizcuits
09-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Sent mine.

Pappy91W
09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Done

jmlivingston
09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Me too.

Piper
09-07-2007, 10:48 AM
ditto

glockman19
09-07-2007, 10:49 AM
? would a lead ammo ban be such a bad trade-off if he veto's the microstamping bill?

chris
09-07-2007, 10:57 AM
? would a lead ammo ban be such a bad trade-off if he veto's the microstamping bill?
we cannot compromise. this is another attempt to ban ammunition in this state. hunters are asked to use non-lead ammo in that area. we do not need this law. education is better than regulation. all this state does is ban this ban that never educate nor ask that hunters not use lead ammo.

i will send the gov an e-mail later today.

mcubed4130
09-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I got my NRA-ILA alert yesterday, and sent Arnold last night. :D

-M3

Egan
09-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Email sent. :)

gazzavc
09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Done

bulgron
09-07-2007, 11:16 AM
I have mixed feelings about AB 821, but I sent an email to Arnold anyway asking him to veto the thing. As a person who does not hunt, I don't very much care about this bill, but even so I'm willing to support the RKBA rights of all California gun owners. Hopefully other California gun owners will return the favor for RKBA issues that concern urban/suburban gun owners such as myself.

Any idea of whether Arnold will actually veto this thing?

Pepper
09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Sent Mine

smogcity
09-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Sent

Kestryll
09-07-2007, 1:04 PM
Sent.
This isn't about hunting, it's about finding other reasons and justifications for banning ammo of all kinds.
Why ban the firearm if you can ban the ammo?

6172crew
09-07-2007, 1:21 PM
Done!

double_action
09-07-2007, 1:31 PM
Sent one too.

caduckgunner
09-07-2007, 1:33 PM
sent

Mute
09-07-2007, 1:52 PM
Done.

peepshowal
09-07-2007, 3:11 PM
Done.

Knight
09-07-2007, 3:20 PM
Sent.

As a person who does not hunt, I don't very much care about this bill, but even so I'm willing to support the RKBA rights of all California gun owners.

I do not hunt as well, though I do care about this bill. We've got to stick together when issues like this arise.

Bad Voodoo
09-07-2007, 3:43 PM
Done.

-voodoo

EastBayRidge
09-07-2007, 4:13 PM
Another slice in the death by a thousand cuts... what a POS. Emails sent.

ArmedBear
09-07-2007, 7:08 PM
(Tagged Fish and Game Issues)

Dear Mr. Schwarzenegger,

Please VETO AB 821 and let the Department of Fish and Game do its job without further legislative micromanagement. DF&G has been handling this issue quite well already.

As a conservationist, I really appreciate the job that California does to preserve our natural and recreational resources. A 41-year-old native Californian, I surf, hike, mountain bike, hunt and fish. I understand the value of preserving the California Condor; I've spent time at both facilities where they have been hatched for reintroduction, here in San Diego, and in Southwestern Idaho, and it's been a real treat to see the birds closer than I ever would in the wild.

However, I have also seen what happens when statewide laws are passed for political, not conservationist, reasons. Since the ban on hunting mountain lions, for example, there has been a rise in dangerous human-cat encounters, even fatal encounters, and also a rise in the number of lions killed by humans. The humans, though, are now professionals, paid by California to shoot the lions, whereas in the past, a few hunters paid for expensive tags that were a source of revenue, cats near humans were chased off or hunted as a matter of course, and both cats and taxpayers were better off than they are now.

California's Department of Fish and Game has been dealing with the issue of lead bullets in Condor habitat for a while now. They have been working with hunters in the area, making non-toxic ammunition available, and managing the issue on a local level.

The link between condor deaths and lead bullets is not firmly established, and non-toxic ammunition is not readily available for even common calibers of rifles. DF&G can balance the interests of all concerned, and work for the benefit of California and Californians, and right now, it is doing so. With a state law in place, DF&G will no longer have the flexibility to make rules that make sense.

Again, please let the Department of Fish and Game do its job, and veto AB 821.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

ts
09-07-2007, 7:24 PM
If this passes it could quite possibly be the nail in our coffin.

markymark
09-07-2007, 7:58 PM
Sent an email on this.

ArmedBear
09-07-2007, 8:00 PM
I think many of you misunderstand this bill.

It's a Fish and Game law, not an overall ban. Target shooting in the area covered will not be restricted.

Non-toxic shot has been required for waterfowl hunting since 1991.

While I oppose this bill, I think the microstamping bill is far more sinister. If this requirement is added to the "safe" handgun list, then there's nothing to stop the addition of just about any feature, no matter how ridiculous, as a requirement. Like, all handguns must have a built-in propane space heater to be added to the list. Makes about as much sense as microstamping. THAT is the sort of thing that's a nail in our coffin.

jjperl
09-07-2007, 9:01 PM
Email sent!!!

CCWFacts
09-07-2007, 9:50 PM
Sent in my letter. I sent in one letter earlier, "if this gets to your desk please veto" and now "this is on your desk, please veto".

Grakken
09-08-2007, 7:31 AM
Bada Bing...done

steel-cut
09-08-2007, 8:24 AM
Sent.
This isn't about hunting, it's about finding other reasons and justifications for banning ammo of all kinds.
Why ban the firearm if you can ban the ammo?

+1 Email and fax sent.

johnny_22
09-08-2007, 8:24 AM
Hope Arnold listens to reason and not just emotional arguments.

FatKatMatt
09-08-2007, 9:52 AM
sent

SemiAutoSam
09-08-2007, 10:08 AM
They are talking about this on the east coast board as well.

Maybe we can get them to send the e mails to Arnold also.

He doesn't need to know they aren't voters right ?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24179

Here is my post on the thread on that board.

If anyone wants to suggest anything else that could help chime in.

Thanks
Sam

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=307250&postcount=44

CCWFacts
09-08-2007, 10:33 AM
If people from out of state are writing letters, they should say, "Dear Arnie, I would love to visit your state, but your state is one of the very few states in the country where my CCW isn't valid and I have to be disarmed. Please pass a reciprocity law so I can come and visit LA, SF, and the other wonderful cities in your state."

They did it in NV to get more tourists. We need it here.

hossb7
09-08-2007, 11:00 AM
sent

Liberty1
09-08-2007, 12:18 PM
e-mail going down range!

and one on CCWs - good idea ccwfacts