PDA

View Full Version : SCPRC free rifle clinic on a private ranch in Tehachapi, CA final thread with agenda

proraptor
09-06-2007, 10:00 AM
this is the final thread for this shoot.

The next meet will be at a private 800 Yard ranch in techachapi California! We will have special guest Timberwolf there which will put on a clinic for all of us free of charge!

There is Camping available for the weekend. This shoot is limited to precision shootin only no plinking or rapid fire(maybe some pistols).

Agenda:

Sept 7th: some people are driving up and will be there at 2pm to meet member rksimple to shoot on another private range to start shooting. We will also be having a BBQ that night so bring some food, and beer.

Sept 8th: The day of the free rifle clinic which will be put on by member timberwolf. Be at the range at 8 am ready to go. The first part of the clinic will classroom style and talk about mildot ranging and different shooting positions. We will break for lunch and then do some shooting when we get back. You will need 80 - 100 rounds, a sling, mildot master or protractor and some string for the clinic.

Sept 9th: some people are planning on doing some more shooting.

Where: techachapi California (cmon people up north you need to come down and join us!)

If you want to come PM pistolpete and ask about specifics...he will provide you with an address and his phone #

This just might be the best shoot yet the SCPRC has had....Its not often you we get invited to a private ranch to shoot on not to mention a free clinic. I would like to thank pistolpete for setting this up and really think with people like tiomberwolf and rksimple this shoot will be very very informative!

now a list of who is coming so far:

timberwolf
rksimple
pistolpete
proraptor
wildcard
prc329
fjold
awheelman 357
epiphany
Rhys898
cypriss32
jicko

if I'm forgetting anything or anyone let me know....thanks

proraptor
09-06-2007, 10:05 AM
here is all the information from timberwolf about the clinic:

A few people have asked for a seperate thread regarding the upcoming shooting clinic in Tehachapi as the information is buried in theoriginal thread.

The “clinic” will be basically a Prec Rifle I type class with a little bit of Prec II thrown in.

We will briefly cover basic marksmanship skills including the four basic positions and the usage of a sling with transitions of the basic positions into field variant positions.

There will be instruction on ballistics and ranging using the mil-dot system or equivalent since some have variant type reticles, as well as discussions regarding equipment, ranging from setting up a precision rifle to the various types of equipment used in the field and/or competitions.

I will have examples of various types of equipment as well as several handouts.

The clinic will start between 0800 and 0830 and run until approximately mid afternoon depending on how long we break for lunch.

The first 30 to 45 minutes of the class will be on the range so that all can check their zero and I have a chance to observe each shooter. After all have confirmed or obtained their zero we will break into a combination of discussion and demonstration of the various topics after which we will hit the range for various drills ( including UKD ) and exercises designed to test and apply what was learned during the discussions. During the range time I will be giving both group and indivual instruction as warranted. We will of course be breaking for luch sometime during these sessions.

As far as equipment, the following is a list of suggested equipment:

1. Rifle & Optics – Scoped Rifle capable of 1 MOA accuracy or better. The scope should have a mil-dot or comparable reticle. It is not necessary that the rifle be zeroed, as that will be the first exercise of the day.
2. Ammo – 100 rounds of match grade commercial ammo or reloads. If possible know the velocity of your ammo before hand and try to make a print of a ballistics chart with your ammo.
3. Sling – your rifle should be equipped with a sling that can be used in shooting positions.
4. Bi-Pod – front bi-pod from your rifle. I suggest a Harris swivel type with notched leg either 6-9” or 9-12” depending on your rifle and how low or high your prone position is.
5. Rear Bean Bag or monopod for rifle – rear beanbag is preferable during this class.
6. **No bench rest style front rests or “bunny ear” type rear rests** this clinic is about precision / tactical shooting – not F-class
7. Log Book and pen - I suggest and use the type we discussed in the other thread as we will be discussing preparing range cards etc., however if you cannot get one you can use a small spiral note book as long as you take and keep accurate notes of your shooting sessions for future reference and transference into a logbook at a later time.
8. Plain notebook and pen – for taking notes
9. Mil-Dot Master or calculator
10. ACI, or slope doper to use in determining the angle of your rifle when taking a shot up or downhill. If you don’t have either that’s fine bring a basic protractor about a foot or so of fishing line and a small slip shot weight and I’ll show you how to make a poor man’s slope doper.
11. Bipod, Ruck, etc to carry your gear

Of course eye and ear protection will be required. I would also suggest everyone use NRA chamber flags so that there is no question while walking around that a weapon is clear and safe. I have three or four spares if needed. They can be gotten from the NRA or places like Champions.

Optional gear:

Elbow and knee pads – I do not recommend the hard shell type, especially in the elbow pads.

Shooting mat – they’re nice and you can get a simple on or a carry everything one – I use and old bath mat.

Blast pad – those of you that shot in my last match now know what a blast signature is – I have no reason to believe Tehachapi will be any different as far as dry dusty conditions – an old hand towel or piece of tarp is sufficient and can be easily rolled up and attached to your pack.

PDA or 5.11 watch with ballistics software.

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 2:33 PM
And Bring Your Liability Waivers!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=65972&page=28

Jicko
09-06-2007, 2:36 PM
And Bring Your Liability Waivers!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=65972&page=28

BROKEN LINK!!!

proraptor
09-06-2007, 2:48 PM
pistolpete please bring me a waiver....thanks

Jicko
09-06-2007, 3:16 PM
I want a picture of "the rice sock"..... I am going to make myself one tonight.... and I'll write "T R I A D" on it....

I just want a picture of one, and how it works on a rifle.... can someone show me????

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 3:20 PM
i made one out of a white sock and red beans. $1 bean bag!

proraptor
09-06-2007, 3:21 PM
I just made a rice sock last night....works awesome!

just get a sock (i picked tactical black lol) and fill it with rice making sure you pack it in tight....tie the end and you have an awesome rear bag

wildcard
09-06-2007, 3:21 PM
I want a picture of "the rice sock"..... I am going to make myself one tonight.... and I'll write "T R I A D" on it....

I just want a picture of one, and how it works on a rifle.... can someone show me????

It's a sock.. filled with rice.. and tied and/or zip-tied at the end :) I'll see if I can dig up my g/f's digital camera and wire at home when I get back.

Mines says "Hanes" on it. I'm thinking about making a tactical version with a black dress sock..

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 3:22 PM
SCPRC Precision Meet Located at 21655 Sand Canyon Rd Tehachapi, CA 93561
AGREEMENT OF RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY
WARNING: THIS DOCUMENT LIMITS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS.
CONSULT AN ATTORNEY BEFORE SIGNING
I, , of hereby agree to the following:
Name (Please print legibly) Address & Zip Code
1. That I am participating in activities, or performing work or other business, at the shooting range at 21655 Sand Canyon Rd Tehachapi, CA 93561. I understand the risks and hazards involved, and I recognize serious and potentially life - threatening injuries can occur while shooting a firearm or participating with others, either in a club sponsored program or on my own at the range or by simply being at the range while others are present.
2. I understand that it is my responsibility to consult with a physician prior to and regarding my participation at the range. I represent that I am physically fit and I have no medical, psychological, or other condition which would prevent my full participation at the shooting range. I further represent that I am under no kind of restraint against the possession or use of a firearm, including any sort of domestic violence restraining order and that I am legally free to own, possess or handle firearms
3. I realize that my liability may arise from negligence or carelessness on the part of the person or entities being released, from dangerous or defective equipment or property owned, maintained or controlled by them or because of their possible liability without fault.
4. In consideration of being permitted to participate in the activities and/or programs at the shooting range, I agree to assume full responsibility for any and all risks, injuries, or damages, known or unknown, of whatsoever kind and nature, which I might incur as a result of participating at the shooting range.
5. In further consideration of being permitted to participate at the shooting range, I knowingly, voluntarily, and expressly waive any and all claims I, or my Estate, my heirs, or any person claiming under me completely and without reservation that I may have against the owner of 21655 Sand Canyon Rd Tehachapi, CA 93561, its owner, owner of the property, its agents, officers, directors, instructors, volunteers, or representatives from any and all injuries or damages that I may sustain as a result of participating in shooting range activities. Also, I, my heirs, executors, administrators, next of kin, successors, or legal representatives forever release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue the owner of 21655 Sand Canyon Rd Tehachapi, CA 93561, its agents, officers, owner of the property , instructors, volunteers, or representatives for any personal injury, death, disability, property damage, property theft or acts and/or omissions of whatsoever kind and nature including, but not limited to, those caused by its negligence or other acts including, but not limited to, those acts and/or omissions of other participants or persons at the shooting range.
6. I understand that commercial still, video and/or motion picture photography may occur during my presence on 21655 Sand Canyon Rd Tehachapi, CA 93561 and as long as I am in the general area, I may be incidentally included in such photography. Should I wish to be excluded from such photography, I understand that it is my responsibility to be aware of photographic activity and remove myself from the area or event being photographed. Absent such action on my part, I hereby grant the SCPRC, its sponsors and beneficiaries, the right to use my photographic image in the promotion of the shooting sports or the Club in general, in accordance with accepted journalistic practice.
7. I hereby consent to receive medical treatment, which may be deemed advisable in the event of injury, accident and/or illness during the activities at the shooting range.
8. I have read and understand the SCPRC and 21655 Sand Canyon Rd Tehachapi, CA 93561 shooting protocol and agree to strictly adhere to the regulations and requirements set forth.
9. This release shall remain in full force and effect so long as I am in the property located at 21655 Sand Canyon Rd Tehachapi, CA 93561, or a user of its facilities, a guest on its property with no expiration for time or other reasons.
I have read the above release and waiver of liability and fully understand its contents. I voluntarily agree to the terms and conditions stated above.
Name(s) of spouse and/or minor children included in this release: , , , , ,
(Please print legibly)
Date: Signature of Participant
Witness:

Jicko
09-06-2007, 3:24 PM
I just made a rice sock last night....works awesome!

just get a sock (i picked tactical black lol) and fill it with rice making sure you pack it in tight....tie the end and you have an awesome rear bag

hmmm.... ankle socks probably won't work, rite? :D

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 3:25 PM
nope, you gotta use the old school socks.

wildcard
09-06-2007, 3:26 PM
I got a question.. what in the world is the SPRPC? :cool:

Timberwolf
09-06-2007, 3:26 PM

depends on how big your feet are and how high you want your rifle butt. Mine is about the size of a small kids bean bag.

By the way don't use rice or beans if they get wet they're a mess. Use poly pellets that they put in dolls and stuff. You can get them at any crafts store.

wildcard
09-06-2007, 3:28 PM

You can use ankle socks.. but be sure to double layer it.. remember that socks stretch.. sometimes enough that you won't get the height you need for those slightly downhill angles depending on the height of your front rest.

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 3:31 PM
I got a question.. what in the world is the SPRPC? :cool:

typo, SCPRC.

wildcard
09-06-2007, 3:32 PM
depends on how big your feet are and how high you want your rifle butt. Mine is about the size of a small kids bean bag.

If you're going to teach us how to make rear rests like yours.. you best also teach us how to stitch or embroider our names on it like yours :)

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 3:34 PM
my bag is pretty filled up, i have a high prone shooting style.

Timberwolf
09-06-2007, 3:42 PM
If you're going to teach us how to make rear rests like yours.. you best also teach us how to stitch or embroider our names on it like yours :)

That's my field bag . . . my fancy one has Timberwolf and a howling wolf's head embroidered on it. Hell I can't shoot worth a **** but I look good doing it.

Timberwolf
09-06-2007, 3:43 PM
I guess the **** means the word I typed was a no no - ooopsie

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 3:45 PM
for some people the weekend already started huh? i got 3 hours of paperwork tomorrow, and i am done!

Timberwolf
09-06-2007, 3:52 PM
I'll be here until about 5:30 tonight - grandson's 1st birthday is today so going out tonight, and then who knows what time tomorrow night I'll get out of the office . . . but I'll be there Sat.

wildcard
09-06-2007, 4:08 PM
I'll be here until about 5:30 tonight - grandson's 1st birthday is today so going out tonight, and then who knows what time tomorrow night I'll get out of the office . . . .

(I modified your quote to reflect what you have on there now)

After Saturday, who can we email to talk about how great it was for "APS" to sponsor this event? :D

You know I'll be at the night match.. along with a spectator. Peter should be there too, right? After this clinic, i'm sure a few will have the confidence to put what they learned to the test!

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 4:14 PM
i wish it was a day match, but yes of course i'll be there.

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 4:15 PM
nayt will be there too i think. so that'll be at least 3 from calguns.

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 4:17 PM
i can't leave the office yet, toooo much traffic up the 5 right now.

Prc329
09-06-2007, 5:04 PM
I won't make the night match but the next day match I will try my best to be there.

Jicko
09-06-2007, 5:12 PM
I'm home trimming cases and trying to load some rounds..... now I am worried... that if I couldn't make "working" rounds and wildcard cannot grab me the ammo... I will have NOTHING to shoot...

Maybe I'll shoot 223s.... anyone got some 223s loaded?? I'll bring powder, bullets, primers to trade for ammo.......

:(

Prc329
09-06-2007, 5:15 PM
I have a couple of hundred rounds of wolf gold 223.

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 5:26 PM
I'm home trimming cases and trying to load some rounds..... now I am worried... that if I couldn't make "working" rounds and wildcard cannot grab me the ammo... I will have NOTHING to shoot...

Maybe I'll shoot 223s.... anyone got some 223s loaded?? I'll bring powder, bullets, primers to trade for ammo.......

:(

don't worry wildcard will bring the ammo. worse comes to worse, i'll set aside 50 of my match .308 loads for you. we got almost the same set up, so you'll be good to go.

my loads are primo stuff. i've spent alot of time and $$ getting my loads just perfect.

Jicko
09-06-2007, 5:32 PM
don't worry wildcard will bring the ammo. worse comes to worse, i'll set aside 50 of my match .308 loads for you. we got almost the same set up, so you'll be good to go.

my loads are primo stuff. i've spent alot of time and $$ getting my loads just perfect.

Thanks bro!!!

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 5:32 PM
oh one more thing, cause i might not have a chance to talk to you guys till tomorrow night.

bring your waivers!

and...by saturday night, we should get the SCPRC organized with a president and stuff like that. so bring your ideas to the table.

laters.

Jicko
09-06-2007, 5:35 PM
So, 6 people tomorrow night, right? I'll go get some USDA NY Steaks tonight for everyone!! I am thinking about somewhere between 3/4lb-1lb per steak.... if you think you may need more, please plan to bring extra food.....

I'll try to remember to dig out a bottle of nice cab from my cellar to go with the Steaks..... i hope that i remember to do that....

proraptor
09-06-2007, 6:07 PM
oh one more thing, cause i might not have a chance to talk to you guys till tomorrow night.

bring your waivers!

and...by saturday night, we should get the SCPRC organized with a president and stuff like that. so bring your ideas to the table.

laters.

The SCPRC has always kind of been member driven....Electing a president would make it more complicated I think

BTW I have a lot to do tomorrow!

proraptor
09-06-2007, 6:41 PM
PistolPete when are you going to get to the ranch? If later then RKSimple can you PM me and PRC329 your number so we can call you when we get up there?

Also dont forget your cameras!!!!

Prc329
09-06-2007, 6:50 PM
Cam is charging now.

proraptor
09-06-2007, 6:52 PM
Nate PM me your cell #

Fjold
09-06-2007, 7:05 PM
I'll bring three or four extra sandbags made out of blue jean material for Saturday morning (and my waiver). :D

proraptor
09-06-2007, 8:05 PM
Cant wait to meet you Fjold.....Glad you are coming

Cypriss32
09-06-2007, 8:18 PM
My friend and I will be up there Friday (tommarrow night) Im still reloading. I reloaded 150 rounds of 223 and 55 rounds of 300wsm. I have to load for 3 rifles. Im hopeing around 6pm tommarrow.

Jicko
09-06-2007, 8:35 PM
cyp: u guys wanna BBQ with us too?

I still need a head count for Steaks....

Cypriss32
09-06-2007, 8:37 PM
What shall I bring?
It will be me, my friend, and jeremy (rhys898).

Jicko
09-06-2007, 8:44 PM
What shall I bring?
It will be me, my friend, and jeremy (rhys898).

R we up to 7 people now?

3 of us + prc + proraptor + rksimple + me...... who else?

I'll be getting NY Steaks.... I think some guys will bring some beers.... I dunno what others are planning to bring....

Rhys898
09-06-2007, 8:53 PM
I'm bringing potatoes, corn, and fixins, and Hard cider for myself. I plan on getting up there around 2 so if RKSimple could PM me his cell number so I can meet up at the other range I would appreciate it.

Also does anyone have a good load for 308 with 155 smk's that duplicates or comes close to the ballistics of fgmm 168 while using RL15, H4895, or Varget???

Jer

rksimple
09-06-2007, 9:01 PM
To everyone coming up tomorrow to shoot at the range: The range is .5 mi from the ranch on the same road. To go to the ranch, you'll pass the range or your left. I'll be there at around 2pm so we can get zeroed and shoot a bit. I'll leave the gate open. The rifle range is the furthest one from the road. Bring paper targets and a staple gun...and plenty of spray paint for the steel. :D

rksimple
09-06-2007, 9:02 PM
I'm bringing potatoes, corn, and fixins, and Hard cider for myself. I plan on getting up there around 2 so if RKSimple could PM me his cell number so I can meet up at the other range I would appreciate it.

Also does anyone have a good load for 308 with 155 smk's that duplicates or comes close to the ballistics of fgmm 168 while using RL15, H4895, or Varget???

Jer

What brass are you using? I'd go about 45.5-46 gr of Varget and we'll chrono it when you get here tomorrow. I'll go home and print out a JBM page for you and bring it Sat morning. Does that work?

Cypriss32
09-06-2007, 9:09 PM
Ok sounds good, Anyone able to bring the wrench for the Ar collapsable stocks? I need to get mine off and put an Fixed one on it.

Rhys898
09-06-2007, 9:20 PM
federal brass and gm210m primers, I think that varget load will be a lot hotter than the fgmm168's. Sierra load manual max's out at 44.8 at 2800fps, The fgmm 168's are only going 2650 out of a 24" barrel and I have a 26" so I gigure I might be getting 2700. I think that the 155's with a little more velocity has similar ballistics to the fgmm168's. so If I drive it at 2725 I should be good. this reduces the amount of fiddling I have to do to rezero from my 155 load to my 168 load.

Jer

rksimple
09-06-2007, 9:26 PM
federal brass and gm210m primers, I think that varget load will be a lot hotter than the fgmm168's. Sierra load manual max's out at 44.8 at 2800fps, The fgmm 168's are only going 2650 out of a 24" barrel and I have a 26" so I gigure I might be getting 2700. I think that the 155's with a little more velocity has similar ballistics to the fgmm168's. so If I drive it at 2725 I should be good. this reduces the amount of fiddling I have to do to rezero from my 155 load to my 168 load.

Jer

To get the same 100 yard zero, you're probably going to have to push them about the same velocity as the 168's. You'll sacrifice a little in downrange performance.

Timberwolf
09-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Just got finished loading up the rest of my ammo (been kinda lazy since the SCPRC '07 - which oddly enough is what the big yearly So Cal prec rifle match is called). I'll be bringing about 200 rds with me though I'll need to keep about 50 aside for Sunday so I can ring the buff for the crowd. LOL

I'll also be bringing some extra gear in case anyone is short etc. as well as my my backup rifle just in case.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this little shindig so to speak . . . I've met a few of you at my matches and am looking forward to meeting the rest.

I'll be leaving my house around 0615 Sat morning which bar any crap should put me up there around 0715 - 0730. Once I get there I'll set targets and steel before the class starts so all can run smooth without much lag time.

Now if I can just keep my mind focused at work tomorrow instead of on hearing the clang of distant steel I'll be alright.

proraptor
09-06-2007, 11:05 PM
I think its just you and I Timberwolf.....I just got done packing most of my stuff...

Timberwolf
09-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah aren't I the night owl . . . I keep asking God for 30 hour days but he won't listen.

Oh well guess it's time I drag my butt to bed. Catch y'all manana

Rhys898
09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
lightweights, I'll be up till 3 or 4 just like last night.

Jer

Prc329
09-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I feed my son at 11:30 so I am up till about now everyday.

Jicko
09-07-2007, 5:03 AM
Ha ha ha..... I am packing.... NOW.....

proraptor
09-07-2007, 6:09 AM
Everyone drive safe.....

Jicko
09-07-2007, 6:40 AM
Can someone bring Tin-Foil and a Tong for BBQ? I'll bring Charcoal. And a mesh as a grill...

proraptor
09-07-2007, 7:07 AM
Ill bring the tinfoil....

proraptor
09-07-2007, 7:10 AM
BTW: Ill be driving a 99 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab Dark Blue

Prc329
09-07-2007, 7:10 AM
Nice color :)

Dark Blue 05 Tacoma

Timberwolf
09-07-2007, 7:47 AM
Well for those of you that got the day off . . . aaarrrggggghhhhhhhhh

Oh well t-minus 8 hours, 14 mins 'til the weekend

Jicko
09-07-2007, 8:17 AM
I dun have an ACI/slope or protractor ..... :-(

Timberwolf
09-07-2007, 8:24 AM
I think I have spares of both in my kit.

wildcard
09-07-2007, 9:03 AM
Sweet jeez there's a lot of work to be done today at work. I haven't even packed or finished reloading yet! Got 60 rounds loaded.. 30 case prepped and primed.. and another 50 that have only been deprimed! Gonna be a long night followed by a long drive. But no biggie.. I enjoy reloading :)

Jicko:
Sorry man.. had a long home owner association meeting last night and didn't get a chance to go to my other place to pick up the ammo. My bad for losing track of what was promised to who. I'll reload an extra 20 for you if you trust my reloads. They'll be once fired Federal GMM Brass full length sized.. 42.4 gr IMR 4064.. CCI BR Primer.. and 168 gr Nosler Competition Bullet (same BC as SMK) loaded to ~2.82 OAL. If you trust it.. please accept it as my way of making up for my mistake and to help out a Calgunner in need of ammo. Heck.. you could even keep the brass. I got it off a non-reloader :)

PistolPete75
09-07-2007, 9:10 AM
dude, i have worked piled up to my ears right now. write down my phone number 818-335-1820. call me around 3pmish. i gotta go.

PistolPete75
09-07-2007, 9:13 AM
i'll be leaving the valley around 3pmish. i got soooo much work today. gotta go finish it. laters.

proraptor
09-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I also am bringing a table....

Rhys898
09-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm loading up right now, I'll have a table as well.

Hopefully I'll see you guys at or shortly after 2pm at this other range.

Jer

rksimple
09-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm loading up right now, I'll have a table as well.

Hopefully I'll see you guys at or shortly after 2pm at this other range.

Jer

I'll be there probably just after 2. I'll be in a silver xterra. Drive safe guys.

Timberwolf
09-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I'll need a table in the morning . . . since everyone is bringing a table can I borrow someone's so I can leave mine at home?

PistolPete75
09-07-2007, 11:52 AM
i just postponed by last appoitment. i am done! i'm gonna take off soon. ryan give me your cell number.

Jicko
09-07-2007, 1:50 PM
We are on our way..... PRC and me.....

We are actually on the road.... PRC driving.... and I'm posting....

Fjold
09-07-2007, 3:41 PM
We are on our way..... PRC and me.....

We are actually on the road.... PRC driving.... and I'm posting....

LOL, hardcore posters. I'll be up tomorrow morning.