PDA

View Full Version : valtro mag fed shotgun

hardkore909
09-06-2007, 6:59 AM
Anyone have any info on this shotgun? I've held one and it seems to be made pretty good, but does anyone have any idea how reliable they are? http://www.valtrousa.com/shotgunphotos/pm5/largepistrolgripshotgunfull.jpg

virulosity
09-06-2007, 8:07 AM
What is the mag capacity? If it is less than 8 what is the point?

hardkore909
09-06-2007, 8:13 AM
its 7+1... i like the range ninja factor!

joel1316
09-06-2007, 8:17 AM
Yeah... The ninja factor would be cool... Any shops carrying these?

MrTuffPaws
09-06-2007, 8:38 AM
Info on them is slim to none. There was a page of some guy in Canada that owned one and wrote a review of it. If I recall, the only issue was that he did not like the mag wobble, but it did not affect the gun's performance in any way.

I found one on gunbroker once, but was too poor to buy it at the time. I think it went for $400, new will run you around $500. I have heard that mags are something like $50 a piece.

As for why would you want one? Mag changes are much faster than loading a tube. Not to mention that it looks cool as hell.

hardkore909
09-06-2007, 9:10 AM
How's the recoil with the small wire stock?

MrTuffPaws
09-06-2007, 9:52 AM
With stock extended it's no worse than any pump fed shotgun I've fired. I tried shooting it with the stock folded with 3" magnums and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

Just out of curiosity, did you get it directly from Valtro? Also, how much did your config set you back?

Grouch
09-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Looks cool. for a SHTF situation it seems like a mag fed shotgun would be more effective.

MrTuffPaws
09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Here you go. Found the review.

http://www.testosterone.biz/valtro/

i guess in Canada it is legal to have a less than 18" barrel.

duenor
09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
i know a guy who wants 600 for his. yikes.

MrTuffPaws
09-06-2007, 12:00 PM
i know a guy who wants 600 for his. yikes.

If he has a crap load of mags it might be worth it.

hardkore909
09-06-2007, 12:41 PM
From what i read on that review (the guys own specs) is that the magazine holds 7 and the tube itself holds 5? So this is basically a 12+1 holding shotgun? If so this might be worth the investment into one.

***just looked at one we have here*** the tube does not hold any extra shells!!

colossians323
09-10-2007, 3:01 PM
Anyone interested in a NIB one Rob Blank has one NIB with one magazine.
I think it was around $500.00.

408-946-5289

Addax
09-10-2007, 3:28 PM
I also have the folding stock version, I purchased it from a local Valtro dealer back a few years ago.

I love mine, and yes the mags cost about $50-$75 a piece, but the mags are very well built like the shotgun and are not easily dinged etc.

My friends love it since it kind of reminds them of something the Terminator might use...

duenor
09-10-2007, 8:15 PM
i'd pay 600 for a excellent+ valtro pm5 with 3 magazines. maybe two if really good condition gun.

otherwise, i'd rather go mossbergo 590 a1 with knoxx sidewinder. and knoxx fixed stock.

CRTguns
09-10-2007, 9:08 PM
When I first saw those things they were $350 wholesale- 5 years ago.

Jardine proudly and erroneously told me he was the "manufacturer"

He took a year to get me some to sell. I ordered 4 valtro pistols too- 5 YEARS AGO! Still waiting on those pistols.... Jardine is a slow worker.

get the KNOX kit for the mossberg- you can get 10rd drum or 6rd stick mags. Works flewlessly. Better gun too. You can actually get parts for the Mossy.

CRTguns
09-10-2007, 9:10 PM
Valtro PM5 shotguns wil sell for up to $800 these days too- the "Glock Doctor" guys at the gun shows have a soft spot for them. ;)

Baron
09-10-2007, 9:24 PM
The Valtro looks really cool, But I still like my Mossberg 500 with SIdewinder better. Although I'm still looking for a 10 round rum, but my 6 round mags are fun too. Great thing I like about my 500 over the Valtro.... is... with a quick barrel change I can shoot trap, sabot slugs, or rifled slugs...

Now If I can just find a 10 round mag. Everytime I see one on Ebay or Gunbroker I don't have any money... Figures.... Murphy's law I guess..

But the Valtro is cool looking. How reliable are they?

duenor
09-10-2007, 10:26 PM
i own the knoxx kit, 4 6rd mags and 2 10rd drums.

it is unlikely i will ever use the drums. the sticks are much better, much easier to handle, and can be carried in pouches.

i do not worry about the 4 less shells since i can always do a quick mag change if i need more ammo. it is very hard to do this with the drums.

that said i do not have my knoxx kit installed yet. but from what ive heard it works very well. as soon as i save up some money i will get a 590 a1, knoxx fixed PG stock.

MadMex
09-11-2007, 4:37 AM
The point to a magazine fed pump shotgun are, A) it's quicker to slap another mag in than 7 individual rounds, one at a time, and B) so the operator can have a choice of rounds; breaching, slug, 00, less-lethal, etc, at his/her fingertips.

I have the model below. The stroke is pretty long, you gotta have long arms. With stock folded recoil still isn't that bad. Plus it's just fun to have because of its novelty. And it's made really well.

Very cool.

Are short stroke miss feeds a bitch to clear compared to a tube feed pump action? Does the mag bind with a shell and become difficult to remove? I ask because my 7615P is very unforgiving.

colossians323
09-11-2007, 5:16 AM
Rob also has the folding wire stock with the shotty, for an additional fee.

Soldier415
03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
When I first saw those things they were $350 wholesale- 5 years ago.

Jardine proudly and erroneously told me he was the "manufacturer"

He took a year to get me some to sell. I ordered 4 valtro pistols too- 5 YEARS AGO! Still waiting on those pistols.... Jardine is a slow worker.

get the KNOX kit for the mossberg- you can get 10rd drum or 6rd stick mags. Works flewlessly. Better gun too. You can actually get parts for the Mossy.

Hate to necropost but...Jardine is the man.

He works for the love of the gun. And when you see how many guns people want him to work on...:eek:

duenor
03-04-2008, 8:15 AM
I've spoken to Jardine. Seems like a nice guy.
But he has nothing to do with Valtro anymore. Mags are almost impossible to come by.

That said, I am getting a very small shipment of PM5 mags in (four to be exact). If youve ever tried to find these they are IMPOSSIBLE to find. Ive personally offered $160 for a single mag and nobody would sell me any. The shotgun itself with one mag comes up every so often but what use is a detachable mag gun with only one mag? i got these from a guy who runs a store...a customer had him order them from italy years ago but never paid for them so he sold them to me.

So, if you guys want one... better PM me and let me know quick. Price is $120 each and they are all NIB. I also have one that is used and acts a little funny... it loads but the rounds dont go down as well as I would like it to after the third round... some guys here are great at fixing things, but i am not... so if anyone wants that one it is $65.

all prices shipped.

Kev (ill post the mags in the marketplace later in the day)

adamsreeftank
03-05-2008, 3:14 AM
I've spoken to Jardine. Seems like a nice guy.
But he has nothing to do with Valtro anymore. Mags are almost impossible to come by.

Just to clarify, I don't think John handles the Valtro shotgun anymore, but he DOES build Valtro pistols. In fact, he builds them one at a time and incredibly well. Last I heard, he's not taking any new civillian business.

Quiet
03-10-2008, 9:23 PM
Was American Arms an importer for the Valtro shotgun?
Found this being auctioned. Current bid is $350 and it comes with 6 magazines.
Don't know if it's a good deal or not.

http://www.proxibid.com/AuctionImages/2277/10424/6318_2ap15hm1m.jpg

SFFRONTMAN
03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Looks like a good deal.

duenor
03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
That is a good deal.
Except - be careful if you are buying from "Rocky Mountain Arms". Ask for the seller's FFL. I can tell you more if you PM me.

Kev

Quiet
03-10-2008, 11:57 PM
That is a good deal.
Except - be careful if you are buying from "Rocky Mountain Arms". Ask for the seller's FFL. I can tell you more if you PM me.

Kev

It's one of the firearms being auctioned this Saturday by Gunslinger Auctions in West Covina.

duenor
03-11-2008, 1:17 AM
okay, you are fine.
good luck bidding!

MadMax
03-11-2008, 8:46 PM
I used to own a valtro shotgun it had a threaded barrel and a standard stock. I got it form a dealer in milpidas, the one right behind the police station. I paid 400 for it new.

It ran great and i never had a jam or problem with it. The con's were the magazines were like 70 bucks a pop and the factory stock was really long. It was so uncomfortable to shoot I cut a couple inches off of it.

I recently sold it to bullseye in san rafael and got a mossberg 930 tactical. The recoil of pump guns just got old to me and I like the semi auto's much better.

While I had it it was a great gun though and it looks bad ***.

duenor
03-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Yes.
I agree with MadMax. The length of pull is ridiculously long. I dont know what kind of people this gun was made for - ogres?

The PM5 is, unfortunately, more of a novelty than anything else.
Defensively, I would prefer either of my Benelli M1 Super 90s or a Mossberg 590 with a Sidewinder Kit installed. Some have even argued that the Sidewinder is superior to the Valtro in terms of design.

Addax
03-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I have one with the top folding stock and 3 mags.

I love mine, if anything because it is Tacticool.:43:

Honestly it is a nicely built Shotgun, but the pull is long, but I have long arms so it does not affect me as much.

Hmm, that Gunslingers auction has one... I gotta call in a proxy bid..;)

SFFRONTMAN
03-11-2008, 11:43 PM
So you're the one who chopped down that valtro stock...hmm. Must have not been fun without a recoil pad.:eek:

Addax
03-12-2008, 12:14 AM
So you're the one who chopped down that valtro stock...hmm. Must have not been fun without a recoil pad.:eek:

Nope, I have a factory Valtro Top Folder with the rubber pad..

MadMax
03-12-2008, 9:10 PM

Guilty as charged, I was actually able to remount the factory recoil pad back on even though I cut it. The screw holes on the but of the gun where like three inches deep.

It really did shoot much better after my mod, but it was a bit ugly.

Pokey
03-13-2008, 8:40 AM
I have one as well, they are smooth as glass because you are only moving the bolf back and forth, not any other internals. Two downsides, you can't top off like a tube fed, and (may only be mine) it doesn't like low brass rounds-- only high brass. With low it locks up and won't open up. BIG upside, awesome for 3 gun matches, mag changes are REALLY fast. All in all a fun gun. Now I just gotta figure out how to mount a light in the tube since its not used other than for the forend to ride on. As for price, I paid $500 for the gun and 6 mags.

kalieracer
10-10-2008, 9:36 PM
Nope, I have a factory Valtro Top Folder with the rubber pad..

Haha I thought I was the only one with one of these....

Addax
10-20-2008, 6:24 PM
Haha I thought I was the only one with one of these....

Not too many of these floating around. I picked mine up many years ago.