PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Q's on gun laws.

knuckled
09-06-2007, 12:27 AM
1) Can long gun(s) and a single handgun be transfered on the same DROS in California?

unrelated q:

2) Can I buy a long gun out of state and then bring it into CA w/o problems? do I just send some paperwork to the DOJ? I'm aware that handguns must go through an FFL.

Josh3239
09-06-2007, 12:31 AM
1) Can long gun(s) and a single handgun be transfered on the same DROS in California?

unrelated q:

2) Can I buy a long gun out of state and then bring it into CA w/o problems? do I just send some paperwork to the DOJ? I'm aware that handguns must go through an FFL.

1) I would think so, not really sure since I am not 21 and haven't DROS'd a handgun.

2) The long gun must must not be banned by name and must meet the requirements of SB23. The rifle must be shipped through an FFL dealer. He will receive it and you start the DROS and 10 day wait period.

FortCourageArmory
09-06-2007, 12:43 AM
1) Handguns and long guns are DROS'd seperately. Handguns are registered by make, model and serial number and therefore go on a seperate DROS form for EACH handgun. $25 for the 1st pistol and $21 for each one after that. Long guns are not registered by make, model and serial number, so you can register from 1 to 1 million on the same DROS. $25 for any number.

2) As long as the long gun is legal to bring into CA (i.e. not a named by make and model AW or fitting an SB23 definition of an AW), then you can bring in any long gun you wish. There is a form that will need to be filed with DOJ and a small fee paid. Otherwise, that's about it.

hoffmang
09-06-2007, 12:58 AM
2) As long as the long gun is legal to bring into CA (i.e. not a named by make and model AW or fitting an SB23 definition of an AW), then you can bring in any long gun you wish. There is a form that will need to be filed with DOJ and a small fee paid. Otherwise, that's about it.

Not correct unless your an 03 FFL with a C&R Longgun. If you are a regular CA resident you can not purchase a long gun out of state unless you have it sent to a CA FFL for transfer to you.

-Gene

rod
09-06-2007, 7:17 AM
1. Yes you can DROS one hand gun and as many long guns as you can fit on the form or have money for.

2. You normally can't buy any guns out of state and just bring them here to California. However, you can buy guns out of state that are legal in California and have them sent to your local firearms dealer for DROS. If you are a resident of another state, you can bring California legal guns with you when you move here. There are exceptions for C&R and 03 FFL holders.

knuckled
09-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the responses, but since there are several contradictory answers I will clarify what I'm asking:

#1) I want to know if I can transfer lets say 2 long guns and one handgun on ONE DROS form. IE, a total of $25 in fees for all three guns (aside for what the FFL charges). What if the 2 long guns are being transferred from out of state, and the handgun is purchased from the dealer?

#2) I'm wondering if I can purchase a long gun IN PERSON while traveling out of state, and then bringing it back with me.

hoffmang
09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
#2) I'm wondering if I can purchase a long gun IN PERSON while traveling out of state, and then bringing it back with me.

You can purchase a long gun in person out of state. You can not take possession of it there. It has to be sent to a CA FFL (unless you have an 03 FFL.)

-Gene

Josh3239
09-06-2007, 10:19 AM
1) Fort Courage Armory owns a store so I'll go with his answer.

2) No, you cannot purchase and possess out of state in person if you hold no FFL (might be different if you do)