PDA

View Full Version : APS - Tac/Prec Rifle Night Match 092907

Timberwolf
09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Tactical / Precision Rifle Night Match
September 29, 2007

A Place to Shoot in Saugus, CA will be having a Tactical / Precision Rifle Night Match on Saturday, September 29, 2007. Registration will begin at 1730 and the first stage will begin at 1800. The match should run until approximately 2300. The targets will be illuminated as needed.

The match will consist of approximately five or six different courses of fire (depending on time and number of participants) and will be a combination of precision shooting and tactical application. Since this is an evening match we will have use of the entire range so the ranges will vary between 100 and 900 yards. There will be a combination of reactive targets, paper and steel that range is size from 1 MOA to 3 MOA for the given range depending on the course of fire.

There is some movement during the stages, and targets will be engaged from various field positions in whatever shooting position is necessary to insure a clear shot and in some cases concealment while taking the shot.

The fee for the match will be $25.00 for early registration, $30.00 for match day walk ons. Plaques will for awarded to the top three finishers. This is limited to 20 competitors so pre-registration is suggested. If you’re interested in registering or have any questions either PM me through this forum or email me directly at billerwin@msn.com.

wildcard
09-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I'll be there. Please put me down for that early registration. Can't wait! If the last two have been any indication of what this one is going to be like.. it's going to be great!

rksimple
09-06-2007, 5:34 AM
Dang. I'll be in SF for the ADA convention. You guys have fun!

wildcard
09-06-2007, 8:59 AM
Dang. I'll be in SF for the ADA convention. You guys have fun!

Pssh.. forget the ADA! It's my girl's birthday that night but you don't see that stopping me.. I got my priorities straight!

Yeah.. I'm just messing around. I've always been partial to having a roof over my head by promoting myself professionally and not having to sleep alone by excercising some common sense :)

I hope lots of guys in full tactical gear show up.. makes me feel like I'm in a movie!

rksimple
09-06-2007, 9:31 AM
Pssh.. forget the ADA! It's my girl's birthday that night but you don't see that stopping me.. I got my priorities straight!

Yeah.. I'm just messing around. I've always been partial to having a roof over my head by promoting myself professionally and not having to sleep alone by excercising some common sense :)

I hope lots of guys in full tactical gear show up.. makes me feel like I'm in a movie!

Oh, don't get me wrong. If it was just the ADA, I'd be at the match in a heartbeat. I don't need CE units that bad! But I already booked my flight out of Oakland to Texas for that Sunday. I'll be at Tiger Valley for that following week. I can't wait!

Its also opening day of deer season. But I won't even start...

wildcard
09-06-2007, 9:38 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong. If it was just the ADA, I'd be at the match in a heartbeat. I don't need CE units that bad! But I already booked my flight out of Oakland to Texas for that Sunday. I'll be at Tiger Valley for that following week. I can't wait!

So you do NOT need to be there and you are NOT going to hunt.. and yet you're not going?! Sigh.. ;)

Timberwolf
09-06-2007, 9:39 AM

This match would be an excellent warm up for the class and you can sleep on the plane. As far as deer season well . . . you can't hunt deer at night LOL

wildcard
09-06-2007, 9:41 AM
So what cool new stages you got planned? Anything you can divulge without giving me/ us too much of an unfair advantage?

Timberwolf
09-06-2007, 9:48 AM
Lets see shooting laying prone in talc powder dirt, shooting at odd angels, shooting at dimly lit targets . . .

Seriously I have a couple of new stages . . . maybe even a mover stage (either the target moving or the shooter moving in a vehicle)

wildcard
09-06-2007, 10:09 AM
0oOh.. ahhHhh.. sounds awesome! I'll have to refresh my memory on moving targets at various ranges and speeds.. don't get to practice that much at all.

PistolPete75
09-06-2007, 4:17 PM
i'm in of course.

Prc329
09-08-2007, 6:46 PM
I just talked to the wife. I think I can make it out to the match. Put me down.

hypertex
09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Put me down for the match. Successfully traded nights at work.

Timberwolf
09-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Btt

Timberwolf
09-28-2007, 7:49 AM
BTT - for those that are still on the fence come on out and join the fun (just make sure you hit me a PM or email so I can put you on the pre-reg list). The weather promises to be a little cooler and we have some good events planned. This month will probably have more steel than paper and more position shooting with a surprise event from my bag of tricks that is sure to tax your abilities (of course I said that about last months side prone stage).

PistolPete75
09-28-2007, 8:18 AM
it is raining right now, how is the match looking like?

Timberwolf
09-28-2007, 8:52 AM
The forecast shows clear for tomorrow evening for Santa Clarita. If we have rain it'll be a no go as I don't feel like playing with a generator, cords and lights on wet ground.

wildcard
09-28-2007, 8:53 AM
Lets get dirty!

PistolPete75
09-28-2007, 8:55 AM
i have a feeling the iffy weather is going to deter some people from coming.

Prc329
09-28-2007, 8:57 AM
Why did my office decided to move this weekend :(

Oh well, next month for sure.

PistolPete75
09-28-2007, 8:58 AM
jason, are we still on for tomorrow. i'm still down to go to burro even with a light shower. the 200yard is still open right if worse comes to worse?

i want to get some shooting in before the match. i never shot in weather this cold past 100yards, or with such high humidity like this.

wildcard
09-28-2007, 9:11 AM
Temperature will be cool.. weather will be sunny.. and winds will be low. So yeah.. definitely good to go for Burro tomorrow before the match. We'll shoot 100-200 for like 2 line breaks.. then hit up 300-500 by 10am. That'll give you a few line breaks at those distance before you have to take off at 1pm.

I ain't feeling too good about the match since I haven't used this scope past 500 and my adjustments have proved to be different.. but I think I'll make do :)

PistolPete75
09-28-2007, 9:21 AM
Temperature will be cool.. weather will be sunny.. and winds will be low. So yeah.. definitely good to go for Burro tomorrow before the match. We'll shoot 100-200 for like 2 line breaks.. then hit up 300-500 by 10am. That'll give you a few line breaks at those distance before you have to take off at 1pm.

I ain't feeling too good about the match since I haven't used this scope past 500 and my adjustments have proved to be different.. but I think I'll make do :)

we'll confirm our dope from 200-500yards. we should be pretty good to go after that.

i'll bring your spotting scope tomorrow morning. i gotta finish some paper work and then head out to appraise a 8,000 sq. ft. mansion in westlake village. that is gonna take some time, then i got to finish reloading up like 40 rounds or so, or i'll won't have enough for tomorrow.

i'll call you later.

Timberwolf
09-28-2007, 9:39 AM
You guys will be fine - all but one of the stages will be under 500 yards. The weather will be fine, it'll be a little chilly, maybe, but that's what long pants and sleeves were made for.

If you are going to practice for the match a birdie might suggest practicing from more than just the prone position :whistling:

PistolPete75
09-28-2007, 9:42 AM
You guys will be fine - all but one of the stages will be under 500 yards. The weather will be fine, it'll be a little chilly, maybe, but that's what long pants and sleeves were made for.

If you are going to practice for the match a birdie might suggest practicing from more than just the prone position :whistling:

yep, gotta learn how to use the tis sling tomorrow.

Prc329
09-28-2007, 9:54 AM
That is one thing I found interesting about the AICS stock. I know Timberwolf said it is not a great position shooting stock but it feels more natural to me for shooting in any position. I could be wrong but that is how it feels and balances to me. I will have to reserve judgment till I mount my action in it though.

rksimple
09-28-2007, 7:52 PM
Good luck tomorrow guys. I'll be thinking about it while I'm sitting through a boring class on dental implants:(

ar15barrels
09-28-2007, 9:02 PM
Put me down as a possible if I can do this with my AR.
I'm comfortable to 500y with the Acog but beyond that gets interesting.

Timberwolf
09-28-2007, 9:42 PM
Put me down as a possible if I can do this with my AR.
I'm comfortable to 500y with the Acog but beyond that gets interesting.

I've had guys shoot the course with ARs before no problem. Depending on the magnification of your ACOG it may be under powered though as the targets range from 1 - 2 MOA for the given range. But h**l come on out and give it a try.

ar15barrels
09-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I've had guys shoot the course with ARs before no problem. Depending on the magnification of your ACOG it may be under powered though as the targets range from 1 - 2 MOA for the given range. But h**l come on out and give it a try.

uh oh, Acog is 4x power.
I'm used to targets being at least 3moa and usually MUCH bigger.
But then I'm also used to shooting standing up or from positions other than prone.
We don't usually prone out until 200+ yds.

Timberwolf
09-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm going through the courses of fire now . . . the smallest target will be a 1" dot @ 100 yards for the dot drill. (yes Peter I'm using 1" dots instead of 3/4" because of the lighting). The largest is 18"x24" @ 866 yards. These of course are from prone. The non prone targets are around 3 MOA or so for the given range. And the mover is even bigger.

You may be alright at 4X.

Timberwolf
10-01-2007, 8:24 AM
We had an excellant match on Sat night. I worked the weekend so I haven't yet had a chance to compose an AAR or post the reults but will do so this evening and post them in the SCPRC section. The next match will be a day match on October 27.