View Full Version : Foreign Embassy Staff & DROS

09-05-2007, 4:29 PM
Friend of mine works at foreign embassy as security officer.
he is official staff and he carries U.S. Federal ID & Drivers license from Department of Homeland & Security. He told me that they have firearms such as MP5/M4's and different pistols for staff but he is wondering if he is able to purchase any pistol to take back when his duty ends here. His country allows him to bring 1 pistol back which purchased from U.S.

Anybody knows what are the paperwork for foreign embassy staff to purchase weapons.? Do they have CCW ? PS: He does have political immunity.

09-05-2007, 4:53 PM
I don't understand you. Your friend is an American, I presume? Does he work for the US State Department (US Embassy) in a foreign country? Or does he work for a foreign gov't at their embassy in another country?

This is what I know:
If he works as an American embassy staff, then he is part of the DSS (Diplomatic Security Service) that is supplemented by US Marines Diplomatic Corp. They are Federal agents who are issued weapons at the embassy. Only in special cases are they allowed to carry into the host country. Generally those cases are when they are escorting VIPs in & out of the country, theatre of war, Iraq, Afghanistan, Balkans, etc or a "qualified" individual on a assignment.

09-05-2007, 5:02 PM
Nope he works for foreign embassy in Los Angeles, not US Embassy

09-05-2007, 5:03 PM
He is not US Citizen also

09-05-2007, 5:19 PM
what country? and I belive it is a consoulate as embassys are in capitals of countries

09-05-2007, 5:21 PM
To purchase a firearm in the US as a foreigner I believe he needs a hunting license from California. With that and proof he's been here three months, I believe he can purchase most anything that's CA legal.


09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok, for a foreign national working as an embassy security, he should be "issued" the weapon by his gov't. If his gov't allows him to buy a gun in the US, they have to submit a request to the US State dept for permission to buy one & usually it's directly through the manufacturer or distributor. No FFL needs to get involved as part of the paperwork goes to ATF for filing.

Here's the catch. It really depends on the government. If guns are not a big deal in their country, like Canada or Switzerland, then the hunting license way is OK for long guns. If it's the Chinese gov't, there's no way in hell that they will allow this to happen.