PDA

View Full Version : I have a dream

Patriot
09-04-2007, 6:54 PM
From a municipal newsletter for citizens:

Evacuate Early or Stay and Defend

The fire season is now a year-round reality in ---- . Meteorologists are forecasting extreme drought conditions for Southern California, requiring firefighters and residents to be on heightened alert for threat of wildfire.

Each year, wildfires consume hundreds of homes in the Wildland/Urban Interface. However, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) estimates that as many as 80 percent of the homes lost to wildfires could have been saved if their owners had only followed a few simple fire-safe practices. In addition, wildfire related deaths occur because people wait too long to evacuate their home or prepare inadequately to stay and defend it.

The ---- Fire Department takes every precaution to help protect you and your property from wildfire. However, the reality is that in a major wildfire, there will simply not be enough fire engines or firefighters to defend every home.

Successfully preparing for a wildfire requires you to take personal responsibility for protecting yourself, your family and your property.

Its not a question of if, but when, the next major wildfire will occur. Thats why the most important person in protecting your life and property is not the firefighter, but you. Through advance training and preparation, we can all be ready for wildfire.

The American Red Cross recommends every family have an emergency supply kit assembled long before a wildfire or other emergency occurs.

Now for the dream:

Egression or Defense Preparation

Crime is now a year-round reality in every city. Criminologists are forecasting heightened criminal activity in Southern California, requiring law enforcement and citizens to be on heightened alert for violent threats.

Each year, there are hundreds of violent crimes, many in urban areas. However, the California Department of Justice (CAL DOJ) estimates that as many as 80 percent of those victimized in violent crimes could have been saved if they had only followed a few simple safety practices. In addition, people are often victimized because they wait too long to leave an area or prepare inadequately to defend themselves.

The Police Department takes every precaution to help protect you and your property from crime. However, the reality is that there are simply not be enough squad cars or LEOs to defend everyone.

Successfully avoiding victimization requires you to take personal responsibility for protecting yourself, your family and your property.

Its not a question of if, but when, the next crime will occur. Thats why the most important person in protecting your life and property is not the LEO, but you. Through advance training and preparation, we can avoid being victims.

The National Rifle Association recommends every family have an defensive firearm assembled long before a home invasion or other emergency occurs.

M. Sage
09-04-2007, 7:02 PM
Change LEOs to police officers and it's awesome!

Does anybody else understand what egression means? Is that really what you meant to say? To emerge or become apparent?

DedEye
09-04-2007, 11:15 PM
I was expecting the post to be something like this, but not as well written and a little more "preaching to the choir" so to speak. I was pleasantly surprised ;).

Excellent post!

tombinghamthegreat
09-04-2007, 11:33 PM
I love the post. A little more self defense can go along way.

Patriot
09-04-2007, 11:37 PM
I was expecting the post to be something like this, but not as well written and a little more "preaching to the choir" so to speak. I was pleasantly surprised ;).

Excellent post!

I just paraphrased the original "fire" article :o

DedEye
09-05-2007, 3:18 AM
I just paraphrased the original "fire" article :o

I know, and very effectively.

tiki
09-05-2007, 4:21 AM
Egression or Defense Preparation
... However, the reality is that there are simply not be enough squad cars or LEOs to defend everyone...

You have an extra word in there, otherwise, great post. I like it.