PDA

View Full Version : Pellet gun shooting in the backyard legal?

DBA Samsun
09-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Well I shoot pellet guns all day long in my backyard in OC without every having any problems, been doing it for years, but then again I get along with all my neighbors.

Long story short, I brought a few high powered pellet guns over to a buddies house this labor day weekend to plink around in his backyard and his neighbor threatens to call the cops on us!

I've been looking all over for city ordinances for pellet guns in Los Angeles County but can't find any, anyone know if it's illegal in LA?

DBA Samsun
09-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Ttt

montan
09-04-2007, 1:08 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it is illegal to operate anything that can shoot a projectile over a hundred feet per second.

Rule .308
09-04-2007, 1:14 AM
Take it for what it is worth but I have always been told that anything that develops a breech pressure is considered and firearm and that they basically pop you for discharging a firearm in the city limits. That being said I have always shot my pellet rifle in the back yard, grew up in Santa Ana and currently live in Garden Grove. The only time I have had the cops respond is when I dropped a crow off of the back power line into the neighbors pool!! The neighbor had already been pissing and moaning about us shooting the pellet rifle in the backyard but that just cut it with him. The neighbor was seriously steamed and the cop had all he could do to keep from laughing at the situation. You know, one of those "Hey this is really pretty funny, but I really don't want to come back for more of it so knock it off guys, okay?" It is a shame that your buddy's neighbor insists on being a *****.

adamsreeftank
09-04-2007, 2:40 AM
Call the local PD. Most cities have an ordinance against pellet guns. Some rural ones don't.

I was pissed when I bought a really nice one and my PD buddy said you can't shoot it in the city. Why would I take a pellet gun to the rifle range.

metalhead357
09-04-2007, 5:57 AM
Call the local PD. Most cities have an ordinance against pellet guns. Some rural ones don't.

I was pissed when I bought a really nice one and my PD buddy said you can't shoot it in the city. .

A LOT of cities are that way unfortunately........

Johnny Diablo
09-04-2007, 6:30 AM
Yep my dad would hand me the p-rifle and tell me to plink the rats on the power lines. Dad is long gone but I saw those rats just last month!

Whose got the best deal on p-guns?

Liberty1
09-04-2007, 7:09 AM
These codes do not appear to limit the lawful and safe plinking with bb or pellet guns except perhaps for the county code on missiles. The fact that I couldn't locate specific prohobitions howerver doesn't mean they don't exist some where in these exhaustive county and city codes.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=240-248

California Penal Code

246.3. (b) Except as otherwise authorized by law, any person who
willfully discharges a BB device in a grossly negligent manner which
could result in injury or death to a person is guilty of a public
offense and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not
exceeding one year.
(c) As used in this section, "BB device" means any instrument that
expels a projectile, such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of
air pressure, gas pressure, or spring action.

LA County

http://ordlink.com/codes/lacounty/index.htm

13.66.060 Shooting arrows or other missiles--Restrictions.

A person who is within 150 yards of any public highway, public area or place of human habitation shall not shoot any arrow or similar missile toward any such highway, public area or place of human habitation. (Ord. 83-0171 1, 1983; Ord. 7381 1 (part), 1958: Ord. 1769 Art. 3 306, 1929.)

LA City

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:lamc_ca

I couldn't find anything but...

CCWFacts
09-04-2007, 4:34 PM
Take it for what it is worth but I have always been told that anything that develops a breech pressure is considered and firearm and that they basically pop you for discharging a firearm in the city limits. That being said I have always shot my pellet rifle in the back yard, grew up in Santa Ana and currently live in Garden Grove. The only time I have had the cops respond is when I dropped a crow off of the back power line into the neighbors pool!! The neighbor had already been pissing and moaning about us shooting the pellet rifle in the backyard but that just cut it with him. The neighbor was seriously steamed and the cop had all he could do to keep from laughing at the situation. You know, one of those "Hey this is really pretty funny, but I really don't want to come back for more of it so knock it off guys, okay?" It is a shame that your buddy's neighbor insists on being a *****.

Um, you are shooting pellets into your neighbor's yard, including killing a crow so it lands in his pool, and he's the one being a *****?

I don't think crows are migratory birds, but you probably violated state game laws, and if you had shot a migratory bird, I'm pretty sure that would also be a federal crime.

All of your actions reflect on all gun owners. You are an ambassador for all of us. Don't shoot into your neighbors yard. Don't kill birds, especially on someone else's private property. And please try to obey your local firearms laws, including laws about not discharging guns (including pellet guns) within the city.

People already have such bad images of gun owners and it hurts us all the time.

Mickey D
09-04-2007, 8:31 PM
+1 I agree with CCW Facts.

DBA Samsun
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Thank you guys for the great replies and suggestions!

When I'm at home I have a backstop and I don't shoot into neighbors yard or anything like that, like I said I've never had any of mines complain on me.

This weekend I set up a few paper targets and a backstop and we were shooting away from his neighbors house, but he still complained, he was just being a ***** IMO, probably just jealous we were bbq'ing and having a good time while he was stuck listing to his old lady yell at him or something, who knows why he was all pissy.

tombinghamthegreat
09-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Even if it is legal, a nieghbor can just buy some bb's and claim you shot them in their yard. My neighbor tried that but since she is a known to use government agencies to harass us, the cops just told her unless she had a picture or a recording of me doing it, I did not do it. The funny thing is she tried to file a restraining order on every family member since she had someone break into our home and tried to attack us. Thankfully Smith and Western were there to aid my family.

DBA Samsun
09-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Oh man it would be the funniest thing EVER if the neighbor tried that being that my air gun is .25cal. hahaha Man I would love for that to happen just to make the neighbor look like a total donkey!

Librarian
09-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Also from LA County ordinances13.63.010 Replica firearms and firearms--Definitions.
A. As used in this chapter, the term “replica firearm” means and shall include any device or object made of plastic, wood, metal, or any other material, which is a facsimile or toy version of or is otherwise recognizable as a pistol, revolver, shotgun, sawed-off shotgun, rifle, machine gun, rocket launcher, or any other firearm, as that term is used under the provisions of Sections 12001, 12001.5, 12020(d)(1) and 12570 of the State Penal Code.
B. For the purposes of this chapter, the meaning of “firearm” shall be the same as the meaning of that term under the State Dangerous Weapons Control laws, and shall include air rifles, pellet guns or BB guns. (Ord. 87-0145 1 (part), 1987.)

and

13.66.130 Firearms--Discharge prohibited in designated districts.
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person shall not shoot, fire or discharge, and a person, firm or corporation shall not cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged, in the unincorporated territory lying within the boundaries of any district or area defined in this Part 2, any rifle, shotgun, revolver or firearm of any kind. Ord. 7381 1 (part), 1958: Ord. 1769 Art. 1 100, 1929.)Since pellet guns are defined as firearms, and there are many designated areas where discharging firearms is prohibited, it seems likely the neighbor may have had a decent complaint.

Can't see all the little cities in LA county, but as someone mentioned above, many cities ban it. I know Concord does. Sec. 66-11. Discharge of weapons.

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm, gun, rifle, or other gun or device discharging, by the use of powder, air, or springs, any bullet or shot of any kind or any sling or slingshot in the city, except in shooting galleries and on pistol and rifle ranges, the location of which has been approved by the city; provided, however, that this section shall not apply to police officers acting within the scope of their official duties or to persons acting in the necessary defense of their persons or property.

(Code 1965, 4127; Ord. No. 235; Ord. No. 839)

Addax
09-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I have shot bb and pellet rifles in my backyard since I was given my first rifle when I was 10.

My neighbors never complained. That does not make it legal, but as long as I was careful nobody ever complained.

I have sinced moved to LA county, and I am going to ask my local PD officer in the area next time I see him if it is ok to discharge a pellet rifle in my backyard.

DBA Samsun
09-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah I think I will have to do the same, even though my neighbors are fine with it and I don't knock birds onto their properties, bette to be safe

metalhead357
09-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I have shot bb and pellet rifles in my backyard since I was given my first rifle when I was 10.

My neighbors never complained. That does not make it legal, but as long as I was careful nobody ever complained.

Yep...and yet also the circumstances will dictate what on officer does from confiscation to citation to butt-haul-off to the pokie. Something tells me a 10 year old is gonna get the first, a 'standard dude" the second, and (even if you're not) some gansta' looking tool you're gonna get the third.

But this type of code IS usually found in a LOT of city codes....county codes do truly vary from my readings over the years.............

tombinghamthegreat
09-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Oh man it would be the funniest thing EVER if the neighbor tried that being that my air gun is .25cal. hahaha Man I would love for that to happen just to make the neighbor look like a total donkey!

The first time they claim that, they though it was .177 bb and they got caught lying to the police since i had one of these 6mm bb guns. I haven't shot bb guns in my backyard in years, a waste of money. I would rather spend it on real guns.

crunchy2k
09-05-2007, 1:51 AM
I have a .177 pellet shot to a front window in one of my cars in the backyard. I'm steamed...I know who did it and it was an accidental shot....But I'm steamed.

The saving grace is I only own .22 pellet guns...and when I try to shoot the birds, I don't care if his window is in the way. lmao...I have a relacement window and it hasn't acurded in 1 year.

Fate
09-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I have a relacement window and it hasn't acurded in 1 year.

What language is that? :D

ibanezfoo
09-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Must be legal. My little illegal neighbor kids used to shoot my dog every day. Cops don't care. So, its either legal, or legal as long as you are illegal. :confused:

-Bryan

ViPER395
09-06-2007, 1:34 PM
Even if it is legal, a nieghbor can just buy some bb's and claim you shot them in their yard. My neighbor tried that but since she is a known to use government agencies to harass us, the cops just told her unless she had a picture or a recording of me doing it, I did not do it. The funny thing is she tried to file a restraining order on every family member since she had someone break into our home and tried to attack us. Thankfully Smith and Western were there to aid my family.

This deserves elaboration in its own thread, tom.... :D

EBWhite
09-06-2007, 3:08 PM
I heard that there is "white zones" in LA county on a special map that allows for discharging a firearm. Areas such as Acton are in this white zone. Is this true or just a myth?

Roo
09-06-2007, 3:43 PM
Must be legal. My little illegal neighbor kids used to shoot my dog every day. Cops don't care. So, its either legal, or legal as long as you are illegal. :confused:

-Bryan

I would buy a pellet gun and shoot the little sh1ts back!

ibanezfoo
09-06-2007, 4:16 PM

Thought about it, but nothing good would come of it. Inevitably I will be made out to be the bad guy. My dog hates them now so if they ever fall over the fence into my back yard my dog might get a free dinner. :D They've been warned of that of course.

-Bryan

doctor_vals
09-06-2007, 4:51 PM

WOW, what did you write????
Are you ready to shoot that kid, even he is completely bastard????? :mad: