PDA

View Full Version : Would this AR be Legal in CA?

gspam1
09-03-2007, 5:26 PM
Been doing lots of reading on this forum and I want to run my personal CA-Legal AR solution past the Brain Trust here.

My 6.8 ARs have pistol grips and collapsible stocks. One has a forward vertical grip. One has a bipod. The two lowers I'll bring in from AZ are off-list (Sun Devil and Ameetec). If I install a Bullet Button on each lower, and remove the A-2 style flash hiders and replace with muzzle breaks, I now have a legal rifle?

If I understand correctly, the above is NOT considered an AW, so I don't have to register them?

Many thanks!

JOEKILLA
09-03-2007, 5:30 PM
With the bullet button all you need to do is put a 10 rd magazine in it. Flash hider can stay along with the rest of the features.

gspam1
09-03-2007, 8:23 PM
Thanks very much Joekilla. Do I need to permanently attach the flash hider or is removeable ok?

ghost
09-03-2007, 8:27 PM
Thanks very much Joekilla. Do I need to permanently attach the flash hider or is removeable ok?

removeable is ok unless your barrel length is shorter than 16 inches,then you would have to permanently attached it on.

c good
09-03-2007, 8:35 PM
Just so you know, if they didn't comply...registration of an "assault weapon" is no longer an option. That ended quite some time ago, so make sure whatever configuration you come in with is 100% legal. And count on the good guys here to give you the straight scoop. HTH c good

aplinker
09-04-2007, 1:07 AM
Hey Gspam, take a look at the approved list of pistols before you move in as well, and buy up anything you might want before you come. You CAN bring in pistols that are not approved for CA sale, and you can even sell them once you get here, but buying one after you've moved gets a lot harder.

Also, don't bring in any mags that don't comply with CA law. Leave them with a friend in AZ.

This stuff should really be in a "Moving to CA gun FAQ".....hint hint

A suggested shopping list pre-move: AR and AK pistol lowers, sub-gun pistols (MP5k, Uzi pistols), Matebas, pre-lock wheel guns, HK P7 PSPs, 1911 frames (STI, Caspian). Those are highly sought after and would demand a premium.

gspam1
09-04-2007, 7:45 AM
A suggested shopping list pre-move: AR and AK pistol lowers, sub-gun pistols (MP5k, Uzi pistols), Matebas, pre-lock wheel guns, HK P7 PSPs, 1911 frames (STI, Caspian). Those are highly sought after and would demand a premium.

Interesting. How many private party sales are you allowed before you are considered a gun dealer and need a license? I have no interest in pushing the legal envelope on anything :eek:

I believe handguns have to go through a dealer for sale. Would I need to transfer pistol lowers through a dealer or can they be sold private party? Since they are pistol lowers, I assume I would need to register them within 60days after arriving?

Shane916
09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Every firearm has to go through a FFL in CA even PPT (not discussing C&R). You would indeed have to register all the handguns/ pistol frames to the DOJ . In order to sell the not on the list "unsafe" handgun stuff you can.
A. PPT at a FFL
B. Ship to a an FFL for a LEO anywhere in CA
C. Sell them to another person in another state

Once you register these handguns in CA your name and the weapons will now be in the wonderful system AFS, which shows officers what you own and don't :D