PDA

View Full Version : Scope setup help for Rem700

Jicko
09-02-2007, 2:43 PM
I went to test my .308 loads today, they are OK with 5 rounds group @ 100yds about .875"

But I've got a problem.... my scope on my 700PSS is a Leupold Tactical PR 3-9x40mm Duplex. It took me 2 complete turn + 2.5 MOA to get ZERO @ 100yds. And all I have is probably another 16MOA adjustment only. I am worried that I will have some troubles next weekend. (according to JBM, the drop would be like 25MOA/209" @ 800yds.....)

What can I do??

I have Leupold Standard 2 piece Base & Standard Rings

Probably these:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-3040-402-leupold-standard-2-piece-base.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2943-403-leupold-standard-1-rings.aspx

rksimple
09-02-2007, 3:58 PM
Get a better base and rings. Leupold hardware isn't known for superiority, especially the products you linked to. You may be having problem with things being square and alligned. I would wager its the hardware thats out of whack rather than the receiver bridge.

Get a one piece 20 MOA base. I have a Seekins and love it. Badger is the most popular, but you'll pay for it. Warne makes a nice canted base as well. For rings, the Burris extreme's are great for the money. Same with TPS. I've had good luck with a few different lower-end Weaver and Burris rings, but its a crap shoot with those as to what you get.

If you have the money, Seekins or Badger rings and bases will almost guarantee success. If you can get them this week, you're more than welcome to come up Friday evening and zero at that private range. Good luck.

Jicko
09-02-2007, 4:05 PM
The problem is.... whether I can get them THIS WEEK..... :-(

So, on a Rem700PSS .308 platform, people generally DO need 20MOA base?

rksimple
09-02-2007, 5:05 PM
The problem is.... whether I can get them THIS WEEK..... :-(

So, on a Rem700PSS .308 platform, people generally DO need 20MOA base?

Depends on the scope being used and to what distance you intend to shoot. If you had something like a Bushnell 3200 10x or Super Sniper, both with 100+ MOA internal adjustment, you'd probably be OK. A 20 MOA base gives you more flexibility at extended ranges.

Jicko
09-02-2007, 5:07 PM
Is there ANYTHING I can do to my existing setup? Shim it? Or something like that?

Theoretically, my scope only have 56MOA adjustment (from the specs)

I will be up in the area FRI nite.

acousticmood
09-02-2007, 5:14 PM
Did you use a bore sight to start with?

rksimple
09-02-2007, 6:00 PM
Normally, I would say switch the rings around, but I don't think you can do that with your rings. Short of shimming, or getting different rings, I think you're stuck.

Fjold
09-02-2007, 7:13 PM
A piece of soda or beer can for a shim under the rear mount should give you more than enough room for a temporary fix. If you can find a set of Burris Zee insert rings they will solve your problems as they have three sets of varying offset inserts.

Just remember to follow the directions about using the inserts in sets and keep in mind you want to raise the rear of your scope to get you more adjustment room up.

Mute
09-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Just for next weeked, you can shim it until you have enough adjustments to get you out to beyond 800 yards, but I recommend getting the 20 MOA base now for your future needs.

Elarski
09-03-2007, 2:45 AM
What part of San Diego do you live? You might try The Toy Store (http://www.precisionarms.com/).

They probably have something in stock that will cure your woes.

Might be pricey, but you'll be ready for next weekend. Good luck.

Jicko
09-03-2007, 3:00 AM
Just for next weeked, you can shim it until you have enough adjustments to get you out to beyond 800 yards, but I recommend getting the 20 MOA base now for your future needs.

Guys, thanks for the info. If I have enough time, I think I will go get a true 20MOA base and some better rings. And probably a better scope.

Now, can one of you tell me if I have to come up with a temp fix, HOW FAR do I have to raise the rear? Is 1 piece of soda can good enough?

rksimple
09-03-2007, 7:08 AM
Guys, thanks for the info. If I have enough time, I think I will go get a true 20MOA base and some better rings. And probably a better scope.

Now, can one of you tell me if I have to come up with a temp fix, HOW FAR do I have to raise the rear? Is 1 piece of soda can good enough?

I'd just try one first. The more you move it, the more the rings will be out of allignment and the more torque you'll be putting on the scope tube. The nice thing with the Burris ring inserts is that they self allign making the whole setup a little more "stress free."

Jicko
09-03-2007, 8:34 AM
Just did a simple math.

20MOA = ~ 20" @ 100 yds (3600")

My 2 rings are 2.7" apart (center-to-center)

So, simple trig, all I need to raise the rear is 0.015" to achive 20MOA, or 0.023" to achive 30MOA.

I may try the "aluminum can" method......

Pthfndr
09-03-2007, 7:59 PM
What the heck is a "Leupold Tactical PR 3-9x40mm Duplex"?

I've never heard of a Leupold Tactical model scope with a duplex reticle.

Do you have a model number? Model type? i.e. VX, VariX, MR/T, LR/T, etc.

For right now, if this is a 1" tube (not 30mm) and you can't find a 20 moa base, get a pair of Burris Signature Z rings and some offset inserts. Most of your better gun stores probably carry them.

Jicko
09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
What the heck is a "Leupold Tactical PR 3-9x40mm Duplex"?

I've never heard of a Leupold Tactical model scope with a duplex reticle.

Do you have a model number? Model type? i.e. VX, VariX, MR/T, LR/T, etc.

For right now, if this is a 1" tube (not 30mm) and you can't find a 20 moa base, get a pair of Burris Signature Z rings and some offset inserts. Most of your better gun stores probably carry them.

Leupold Tactical Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm w/ Duplex

http://www.binoculars.com/products/leupold-riflescopes-mark-4-3-9x40mm-pr-matte-duplex-reticle-26318.html

It is just an older scope. They discontinued that "Mark 4 PR" line now. They are going with the new "Mark 2" economy line now, and I think they also are getting rid of the "non tactical" reticles for the "Leupold Tactical" scopes.

It is a 1" tube.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 7:47 PM
ya do what you got to do. my 700 p shooting 168gr bthp at 2615 fps will take me 24.5-25.5moa adjustments depending on the heat. would sux if you can't shoot the distance.

Jicko
09-04-2007, 9:33 PM
I just shim'ed at the bottom of my rear rings with a piece of trimmed exacto blade. The blade is 0.020" thick. From my calculation, that should cant my scope for somewhere between 20-30MOA. I hope that this will work.

I'll bring my SPR too, BUT, i have no reliable ammo for that gun.

PistolPete75
09-05-2007, 7:30 AM
I just shim'ed at the bottom of my rear rings with a piece of trimmed exacto blade. The blade is 0.020" thick. From my calculation, that should cant my scope for somewhere between 20-30MOA. I hope that this will work.

I'll bring my SPR too, BUT, i have no reliable ammo for that gun.

don't worry Jicko, bring what you have ammo for. it's not like a competition or nothing. it's a casual day of fun shooting with yer fellow calgunners! i might bring my oll and a 9mm for some fun plinking.

maxicon
09-11-2007, 2:20 PM
Leupold Tactical Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm w/ Duplex

http://www.binoculars.com/products/leupold-riflescopes-mark-4-3-9x40mm-pr-matte-duplex-reticle-26318.html

It is just an older scope. They discontinued that "Mark 4 PR" line now. They are going with the new "Mark 2" economy line now, and I think they also are getting rid of the "non tactical" reticles for the "Leupold Tactical" scopes.

It is a 1" tube.

The PR (Precision Rifle) line was an attempt to put out a budget Mk4 series aimed at cash-strapped LE agencies. The 3-9x40 was a curious one, as the others had their higher-end Index Matched System coatings, while the 3-9x40 had the mid-end Multicoat 4. The line only lasted a few years, and there's no info on them on Leupold's website - you have to find older copies of the catalogs to get anything.

As far as I can tell, the 3-9x40 is VXII glass in a Mk4 body. You can have the reticle changed out, and get custom turrets, like other Mk4s (assuming Leupold still supports them, which they're pretty good about). The hardware is good - nice turrets, good clicks, solid construction - but the glass isn't up to standard Mk4 quality (and doesn't cost like it, either).

I have the same scope with mildots that someone was selling cheap on arfcom with Mk4 high rings. I haven't really had a chance to use it much, but so far, it's not a bad scope - it's just not what you think about when you think Mk4.

The 1" tube limits the adjustments, of course, which is a problem with long-range shooting, but the canted base should help.

Sheldon
10-03-2007, 6:32 AM
I too will be looking to get some better rings and probably a 20 MOA one piece base as well. I took my .308 Win Rem. PSS out to the 450 yard side of Burro Canyon Range recently and did not have enough elevation to hit the manhole cover they have hanging out there. I had to aim at the top of the frame holding the cover to hit the cover. I currently have the Leupold two piece base and the dual dovetail rings from them as well. I am using a Redfield Varmint 6-24X50mm with the target knobs. I'de love to upgrade the scope to a Night Force, S&B, or U.S. Optics....but their costs prevent that from happeneing anytime soon. :drool5:

The steel mounts and rings any better than the alloy ones?? I know the steel would be a little heavier, but is the tradeoff worth it for the better strength??

mike452
10-04-2007, 9:27 AM
Hey Jicko, I have the exact same problem with my PSS. I use the same rings and base with a SS 20x. I can't get to 500yrd.
I will try my Warne and TPS bases next.