PDA

View Full Version : Transfer out-of-state off-list handgun?

VegasND
09-02-2007, 2:36 PM
I think the answer to this is going to be 'No.'

I get to CA a few times a year. I have a pistol I am thinking of selling that is not approved to sale in CA. If I moved there, I believe I could register it and then sell it to another private party as long as the transfer went through an FFL. Correct?

Someone I know would like to buy it in CA; could I bring it into the state and sell it to them as a private party transfer? Would I have to be a resident to register it?

If this is possible within the current law please tell me how. Thanks.

Quiet
09-02-2007, 2:43 PM
Someone I know would like to buy it in CA; could I bring it into the state and sell it to them as a private party transfer? Would I have to be a resident to register it?

Only way you can legally do this is if you were moving to CA as a resident. You then have up to 60 days to register any handguns you bring with you with the CA DOJ. Anytime before or after you register the handgun(s), you can sell your handgun(s) via PPT to other CA residents.

VegasND
09-02-2007, 2:51 PM
Quiet

I was pretty sure that was right. I had some hope there might be an exception if I was to physically bring the pistol to the FFL. Oh well, I guess he's SOL. Thanks.