PDA

View Full Version : How should I handle this?

Powersauce
09-02-2007, 3:04 AM
Not sure if this is in the right section...mods move if necessary.

I live in a quiet court which has 4 houses…unfortunately since its so quiet we get a few kids that park toward the entrance of the court to hang out smoke drink and do whatever…what’s worse is when they leave sometimes they leave their trash behind…a fast food bag filled with garbage, soda/beer cans, and whatever unwanted trash they have. My question is…Is there anything I can do to deter them from hanging out at the entrance of my court? Since it’s not on my property am I SOL?

socalguns
09-02-2007, 5:03 AM
can you diagram it? cause they can't block the entrance
Call in a suspicious-vehicle/noise complaint (with license plate number)
maybe loitering or even public intoxication
you are not SOL
you might have to resort to painting the curb/entrance RED

jwj
09-02-2007, 9:06 AM
Is it the trash that bothers you are the hanging out? If the former, maybe it's just a matter of asking them friendly to take it with them when they leave?

-- j

bulgron
09-02-2007, 9:35 AM
Calling in a suspicious vehicle is good, if the cops will actually respond. Whether they will or not depends on your local PD, how they're staffed, and how much work they have to do.

Painting the curb red only works if the cops will respond to suspicious vehicle activity.

Our local PD will respond to these kind of things, and the problem would get solved pretty quickly. If your PD won't respond, then you might have to start pestering your city at city council meetings in order to get the police to give it a little attention.

CSACANNONEER
09-02-2007, 9:38 AM
If it's always the same kids and your main complaint is the garbage. You could furnish them with a can and ask them to use it. Or, if they're drinking and driving your local PD should respond quickly.

Crazed_SS
09-02-2007, 9:57 AM
Have you tried calling the Police? Tax dollars pay for their services.. might as well use them.

Powersauce
09-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks all... I think calling in a suspicious vehicle will be the best bet. I just don't want to cause attention to my house. I'll try to take a picture next time. The court is nice and quiet...big court with only 4 somewhat large houses...unfortunatly when those kids park their import racer cars in the entrance of the court it makes the court seem ghetto.

thedrickel
09-02-2007, 11:02 AM
I have the same problem with stoners parking on my street late at night. I really wouldn't care if they didn't leave their fast food trash on the curb when they're done. The problem definitely gets worse when school is out. I don't call the cops on them tho, it would be really obvious who did it as I am the only house on the block. And I just can't bring myself to call the cops on a couple of stoners.

If it really bothers you, call the cops.

WokMaster1
09-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Home owners association or just pool the other 3 home owners together & talk to your local PD. Strength in numbers usually puts a priority on patrol matters. Getting to know your beat officer or supe is also helpful.

TonyM
09-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Lay nails by the curb? ;)

Scoop all the neighborhood dog feces into a bag and spread it near where they park? :eek: :D

Who knows.

I had it out with my neighbors that moved in, they loved to play the obnoxious style of hispanic music that causes them all to start hooping and hollering late at night after countless hours of partying. After about 4 episodes of this and me basically leaving their door thinking "What a bunch of a-holes", I decided to call the cops. Officers came to my house first (I am on a corner and they are behind me) to talk. They heard the noise and said they would take care of it. Thirty minutes later one officer came back and said he didn't think it wouldn't happen again. Seems they knocked on the door and one of the idiots was smoking a bong in plain sight. They arrested 2 of the people that did not live there and threatened that they were now on a "watch list". Now I never hear a peep out of them, and there's never any group gatherings there.

I don't care if they know I called it it, I'm sure they do know.

If it bugs you enough, just call the cops. You can't do much else w/o getting into trouble or possibly a bad situation.

pepsi2451
09-02-2007, 12:02 PM
If it is only the trash that is bothering you, you should at least ask them to pick it up before you call the cops on them. At least give them a chance before you become the old guy that calls the cops. Don't you remember when you where a kid? There is always that old guy that all the kids in the neighborhood hate, trust me you don't want to be that guy.

berto
09-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Shine a large light on them when they park. Headlights at minimum.

chickenfried
09-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm on the fence on this one. Yes I rembember what a dick that old guy was, but I also remember sometimes we deserved it. Likely scenario, they blow him off when he asks them to clean up their trash. When he does call the cops they know who did it. His house becomes the target for teenage pranks.

I don't have much faith in the youth of today. If they were the kind of teens to listen to someone asking them to pick up their litter. Would they be littering in the first place??

If it is only the trash that is bothering you, you should at least ask them to pick it up before you call the cops on them. At least give them a chance before you become the old guy that calls the cops. Don't you remember when you where a kid? There is always that old guy that all the kids in the neighborhood hate, trust me you don't want to be that guy.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Shine a large light on them when they park. Headlights at minimum.

This works especially well if you or a friend owns a Ford Crown Victoria. Back in high school we learned that...

friend's 1982 Caprice Classic + big flashlight + outdoor teen party = laugh riot

cush
09-03-2007, 3:08 AM
I had a similar problem and used to be the nice guy not calling it in.
Then the "kids" just hanging out got carried away, running around, jumping on cars.
Unfortunately I wasn’t watching at that time and $1400 to repair the kicked in sheet metal used up my tolerance.
And I did first confront the neighbor whose teenage daughter was talking with them out the window. Suggested the kids pay the deductible. With no results as the door closed I heard her tell her mom “I’ll tell you who it was but I won’t tell HIM”. Of course the neighbor, who was renting, avoided me after that. That Police report didn’t bear fruit. The next time when they were hanging out drinking and partying in the street, with the underage neighbor, I didn’t find it hard to call it in. Police came rather quickly with lights on, blocking the cul-de-sac. Seemed to know some of them by name. Fortunately they moved shortly after that.

I'd suggest simply call and let the police handle it.
-cush

WokMaster1
09-03-2007, 8:40 AM
Or be a nice guy & invite us over for a Calguns party. I think just the sight of some of us walking around your house is enough a deterrence......:D

LECTRIKHED
09-03-2007, 8:51 AM
Having been a stupid teenager, here's what's going on. They have nowhere to go to be alone, they think that your cul-de-sac is a nice private place. When I was a teenager we had lots of spots that were constantly changing and evolving. If one wasn't working out we'd go to another or if we got board with the park, we'd go behind some apartments.

Here is what you have to do. You have two options:

1: Ask them nicely, and don't act crazy. When we had crazy people yell at us we blew them off. If you ask nicely, and try to be cool they might respond. Don't threaten them with the cops. This is the more decent thing to do.

2: Get the cops out there. We never returned to places where the cops showed up. We figured that it was not safe, and not private.

Dont Tread on Me
09-03-2007, 8:52 AM
Just call the cops and get your neighbors to call the cops then make sure you all write nice thank you letters to the police chief when they come out.

Once they get hassled by the cops, they will find somewhere else to hang out. Especially if they get busted for alcohol/weed etc.

I did this once to great effect. One of the cops said "Oh, we wondered were these guys were tonight. They were not in their usual spot."

pepsi2451
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm on the fence on this one. Yes I rembember what a dick that old guy was, but I also remember sometimes we deserved it. Likely scenario, they blow him off when he asks them to clean up their trash. When he does call the cops they know who did it. His house becomes the target for teenage pranks.

I don't have much faith in the youth of today. If they were the kind of teens to listen to someone asking them to pick up their litter. Would they be littering in the first place??

That is a good point. He might very well have to call the cops. It all depends on his situation. I just think that he should try to give the kids a chance before calling the police. I know when I was a kid if the guy was cool and asked me to leave I would, If the guy was a dick I made sure all my friends new it.

I had a similar problem and used to be the nice guy not calling it in.
Then the "kids" just hanging out got carried away, running around, jumping on cars.
Unfortunately I wasn’t watching at that time and $1400 to repair the kicked in sheet metal used up my tolerance.
And I did first confront the neighbor whose teenage daughter was talking with them out the window. Suggested the kids pay the deductible. With no results as the door closed I heard her tell her mom “I’ll tell you who it was but I won’t tell HIM”. Of course the neighbor, who was renting, avoided me after that. That Police report didn’t bear fruit. The next time when they were hanging out drinking and partying in the street, with the underage neighbor, I didn’t find it hard to call it in. Police came rather quickly with lights on, blocking the cul-de-sac. Seemed to know some of them by name. Fortunately they moved shortly after that.

I'd suggest simply call and let the police handle it.
-cush

I'm not saying let them stay there just that there are other things you could try before calling the police.

I do understand that all kids are different and these might be the kind that wouldn't listen anyway. You may have to call the cops, but I would only use it as a last resort. Just something to think about.

rkt88edmo
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
It's kind of your call as to whether you think you can talk to them or not, some people are trashy and leave their FF trash everywhere.

Otherwise I agree with the suggestions above to ask the police to stop by or for you to light them up. Someone's going to have to foot the electric bill, but it may not be too bad if you use a flood with a motion detector and it may help them decide to go somewhere else.