PDA

View Full Version : Where are you bugging out to?

madoka
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Just where is everyone thinking they're bugging out to? I'm honestly confused as to what people are planning for.

Since most of us live in CA, there's 40 million other residents here. There is no wilderness where you're going to live out your Grizzly Adams fantasies without two dozen other people with the same idea. And frankly, I'd feel uncomfortable crammed in with a bunch of armed survivalists.

IMHO, in some sort of major emergency requiring a bug out, I'm heading straight to a hotel in Las Vegas. So these elaborate survival BOBs seem rather unnecessary. Am I missing something here?

RuggedJay
01-14-2013, 1:00 PM
Bug out to Costco.

delta9
01-14-2013, 1:19 PM
I'm planning on staying put at my house until things get back to normal

KevinB
01-14-2013, 1:23 PM
People had better be bugging out to places with ample food, water and shelter. All of those will be in short supply very quickly.

Living off the land is a fools plan and you can't pack enough food and water to sustain your family in your bug out vehicle.

Lots of lessons to be learned from the recent problems in Bosnia if a person takes the time to learn.

Lost-trails
01-14-2013, 1:24 PM
I can't tell you.

Chaparral
01-14-2013, 1:39 PM
The only realistic scenario that would have me bugging out is global thermonuclear war where large cities and infrastructure are targets. I'll be heading to a place where there likely to be very little fallout, very reliable precipitation that feeds a very nice aquifer, lots to shoot, net, spear, trap and soil that while in need of improvement, could still produce some crops. It is a long-term defensible destination.

I'm thinking of a second BOL but any land that I buy has to have a way of paying the carrying costs plus a little extra cash flow so that means orchards or row crops and those areas are not exactly inaccessible to the zombie hordes.

WnP
01-14-2013, 1:39 PM
I live in LA County and work for a water company. My co-workers and I have been discussing, in the event of a emergency, taking over a large part of the water system(parcel of land) to provide for our needs. The place is also built like a fort.

dodgerla
01-14-2013, 2:24 PM
I can't tell you.
The nerve of him even asking. :facepalm:

spareparts
01-14-2013, 3:07 PM
To a place where I know lots of Mormons with food.

jarhead714
01-14-2013, 3:13 PM
I'm goin' to Disneyland!!:)

ElvenSoul
01-14-2013, 4:23 PM
I'm goin' to Disneyland!!:)

The Queen Mary in Long Beach...Come on its a ship!

Yehosha
01-14-2013, 4:55 PM
People had better be bugging out to places with ample food, water and shelter. All of those will be in short supply very quickly.

Living off the land is a fools plan and you can't pack enough food and water to sustain your family in your bug out vehicle.

Lots of lessons to be learned from the recent problems in Bosnia if a person takes the time to learn. Very true for people with families, but many people already do live off the land out in the wilderness, and have for millenia. anyone can learn the skills necessary to do it as well. This learning requires much more than internet research, which is unfortunately all some will ever do.

I don't honestly think many people plan on bugging out and living off the land forever because it isn't feasible, and most wouldn't even live through the first winter, or hot summer. I think bugging out probably means a temporary relocation when things get out of control where they live, and the only choice is to bug out, or go live in a FEMA camp. If you don't think that scenario can happen, you're in denial of recent history.

Everyone should have some sort of bug out plan based around your economic means and your practical knowledge of survival. Not everyone can just fly out of state and live in a hotel for a few weeks, in fact most cannot. So what should someone that does not have the financial means to do that, and has no out of state friends/family they can go stay with for awhile, do then?

I firmly believe that as a man it is my duty to ensure the well being of my family in any situation and it is my responsibility to have a bug out plan in place, should the situation arise from natural disaster or other calamity that requires the evacuation of my home.

I personally have bug out plans that include travel by car, bike or by foot, and several back up plans for each method of travel. And planning it and putting it all together did not take much time or money. I look at all forms of preps like insurance, you pay/plan for them hoping to never have to use it but it's there in case, someday you need to.

chris
01-14-2013, 5:31 PM
trying to bug out in SoCal is a dream matter a fact no matter where you live especially in a city you're screwed. bug in til things calm down a little then try and get out. even that can be very dangerous.

ExAcHog
01-14-2013, 5:41 PM
Bugging out is our LAST RESORT...
Only if our area is in extreme danger are we hitting the road. Then....
About 650+ miles to our bug out location that is already a working ranch that will then have another 2 to 3 acres planted in veggies.
We have "hopefully" enough caches along the way, and more than one route planned out.
This has been in the planning stages for 6+ years. I REALLY hope we dont have to leave our home.

Yehosha
01-14-2013, 6:08 PM
trying to bug out in SoCal is a dream matter a fact no matter where you live especially in a city you're screwed. bug in til things calm down a little then try and get out. even that can be very dangerous. There is nowhere you could ride a bike or walk to? I know there are mountains in almost every direction down there. With 20+ million people living in SoCal, a major disaster would turn almost everywhere into a living nightmare. Sure a lot might try and bugout, but how many would actually try and get out of their car and walk to a high elevation in the Angeles Mountains near Mt Baldy. Hiking 50-60 miles may be needed if you live near the coast, but I don't see how that would be impossible if you left at the right time. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and have a well thought out plan.

Don't forget moving out of SoCal, before a disaster hits, can be a part of anyone's bugout plan. :)

ElvenSoul
01-14-2013, 6:14 PM
trying to bug out in SoCal is a dream matter a fact no matter where you live especially in a city you're screwed. bug in til things calm down a little then try and get out. even that can be very dangerous.

Catalina Island!

bombadillo
01-14-2013, 6:21 PM
I have so many places up in my neck of the woods that I could go potentially, its not even funny. We have a LOT of water, shelter, pretty good weather year round without freezing or getting past 80, and food runs across your path CONSTANTLY. It would be no problem bugging out to a lot of various locations here. Plus its all inside of 50 miles

Gabriel80
01-14-2013, 6:22 PM
aruba or jamaica

chris
01-14-2013, 7:42 PM
Don't forget moving out of California, before a disaster hits, can be a part of anyone's bugout plan. :)

fixed it for you. :)

1sicklx
01-14-2013, 7:51 PM
Mexico

bomb_on_bus
01-14-2013, 7:55 PM
Staying in my house and locking down the hatches. Its better to have a well stocked and defended house than to face the madness outdoors.

Unless there is some event that forces you outta house and home its better to stay put.

Yehosha
01-14-2013, 8:15 PM
Staying in my house and locking down the hatches. Its better to have a well stocked and defended house than to face the madness outdoors.

Unless there is some event that forces you outta house and home its better to stay put.

True, but don't you think you should have a plan just in case? In CA earthquakes are probably our biggest threat and a big one would disrupt power/water for weeks. When fires start, how will they be put out? A neighborhood fire may force you out of your home. Then what?

Saym14
01-14-2013, 8:28 PM
I am bugging in. if forced out I am going to a secret place.

johnny1290
01-15-2013, 2:12 AM
Nobody in LA is going anywhere.

The *only* bugging out you're going to be able to do is *before* disaster, so leave early. Nobody mentioned the gubmint shutting down freeways, not that they'd have to as they'd be gridlocked.

I've seen people fleeing hurricanes. it's pointless, 8 hours in a car to go a few miles, and that was a place with actual freeways that work normally.

LA is a desert. Where would I bug out to on foot? Living off the land is a fools errand for all but a few. Even people that are good at it can starve or twist an ankle.

looker
01-15-2013, 2:23 AM
We are bugging out to noneya country. Noneya fing business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Diesel187
01-15-2013, 9:04 AM
I always laugh at the thought of trying to bug out of any highly populated area in Ca.I'm sure many of you have sat on the 10,60,210,91,405,80,101,580,680,880 and I-5 in bumper to bumper traffic just because some "Richard cranium" is changing a tire on the white line or what about the Friday afternoon before a holiday it gets crazy I've seen stopped traffic on the 10 in palm desert due to returning masses from Glamis ........so I don't think anyone is going anywhere except on foot,bike or mule and once you get out "town" you still have a ways to go to reach any resources and then you can enjoy sharing them with a thousand others............but to answer the OP question I got a super secret place in Fontana ;):D

Ninety
01-15-2013, 9:20 AM
If I told you I'd have to kill you

What about Bugging out on a boat in the ocean.. head north ? Would definitley need a plan for pick up though.. have family up north..

paul0660
01-15-2013, 9:26 AM
m I missing something here?

Not at all. Hope it doesn't happen.

Ronin2
01-15-2013, 9:42 AM
I am stuck right in the middle of the LA basin and I am happy to see no one here yet is going where I plan to go if I have to leave. If I do have to leave.....here is what I am traveling in:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/newportkrieger/m75a3.jpg

If I dont feel the need to leave, but still feel threataned by the "hordes", having my M75 all kitted out within a 30 min walk of my home gives me a warm fuzzy feeling... lol

1GunLover
01-15-2013, 9:45 AM
Now why would we say where we are going?

spetsnaz
01-15-2013, 9:46 AM
rather not say

brix
01-15-2013, 9:53 AM
Just where is everyone thinking they're bugging out to? I'm honestly confused as to what people are planning for.

Since most of us live in CA, there's 40 million other residents here. There is no wilderness where you're going to live out your Grizzly Adams fantasies without two dozen other people with the same idea. And frankly, I'd feel uncomfortable crammed in with a bunch of armed survivalists.

IMHO, in some sort of major emergency requiring a bug out, I'm heading straight to a hotel in Las Vegas. So these elaborate survival BOBs seem rather unnecessary. Am I missing something here?

Good luck, I have been stuck in the desert in traffic on the 15 in the middle of the summer. Since there is pretty much nothing else out there everyone is on the road. Thinking that LV would be your primary option would be crazy since that would be other people's option as well.

I will probably bug in for a couple of days before making my way to North, South, or East. I have family in all directions but North would be ideal for me since it would probably have the most resources available to me and my family.

paul0660
01-15-2013, 9:59 AM
I am stuck right in the middle of the LA basin and I am happy to see no one here yet is going where I plan to go if I have to leave. If I do have to leave.....here is what I am traveling in:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/newportkrieger/m75a3.jpg

If I dont feel the need to leave, but still feel threataned by the "hordes", having my M75 all kitted out within a 30 min walk of my home gives me a warm fuzzy feeling... lol

And a hundred miles gets you where...................

diveRN
01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
It depends on what the SHTF event actually is.

We have two scenarios, one where we shelter in place at home, another gets us out of the valley up to our cabin in the mountains.

The only scenarios that have us leaving our primary home for the hills are events such as toxic spills and disasters where infrastructure is threatened or damaged a-la Hurricane Sandy, etc.

I'm not a "prepper" by their measure, but I do have certain provisions for my family that'll last us at least 60 days.

NotEnufGarage
01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
rather not say

First rule of prepping is don't talk about prepping.

ElvenSoul
01-15-2013, 10:40 AM
How to walk from California's Mexico Border to Canada!

http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/12/hiking-the-pacific-crest-trail-the-desert/

xgi1991
01-15-2013, 2:27 PM
I am already bugged out, all you flat landers just stay down were you are, FEMA will take real good care of you

xrMike
01-15-2013, 9:47 PM
I am already bugged out, all you flat landers just stay down were you are, FEMA will take real good care of youI'm heading your way when the time comes, just a little further up the road on HW4. Please allow me and mine to pass. I'll make it worth your while. :D

Obviously a Plant
01-16-2013, 1:15 AM
Go where you want, I'll be at your house drinking your liquor watching your TV...

LRShooter
01-16-2013, 12:43 PM
I've already done it. I'm 700 miles away.

Ronin2
01-17-2013, 6:09 PM
Go where you want, I'll be at your house drinking your liquor watching your TV...

+1 ROFL......

Blake760
01-17-2013, 7:13 PM
Catalina island or north gate of Tejon Ranch

swruger
01-17-2013, 7:17 PM
The same place my Y2K supplies are hidden.

stix213
01-18-2013, 4:27 PM
In nearly any scenario I can think of it is bug in time.

If for some reason it was bug out time I'd be in the woods with my backpacking gear until things cool down.

Rickrock1
01-18-2013, 4:35 PM
My bunker over there

chrisf
01-22-2013, 6:39 AM
Found a little island on a lake somewhere in the bay within 10miles of my house. Already have fishing poles/food somewhere there.

billmaykafer
01-22-2013, 7:02 AM
to a local 24 hour wal-mart. i can wander the aisles pushing a cart while sampling food items and trying on new clothes.

Paltik
01-22-2013, 8:37 AM
I have plans to bug out to several locations, depending on the circumstances: my sister's home up by Auburn, a hotel in San Diego, a ranch in North County, Mexico, and Arizona.

The BOB is needed for several reasons. First, I can think now at my leisure and pack things I may need (I pack modular, so different little parcels depending on the situation) instead of trying to remember where my passport or sunscreen is when I'm under time pressure. Second, a trip that might take a few hours today could take a couple of days under some scenarios, and a trip that might take 10 hours today could take a week; I'll want more supplies than a bottle of water and a debit card for McDonalds.

While one could certainly do some fishing, I don't think it wise to plan to live off the land. Even 150 years ago American pioneers were "moving on" because game was becoming scarce; any real pressure and game will seem to just disappear. Most good hunting even today is on land that is protected or controlled by law or by the owner, and I imagine private owners will be more serious, not less, about protecting their resource in many scenarios.

kbenson
01-22-2013, 4:02 PM
I watched one of the prepper episodes (discovery channel)

a family build a underground bomb shelter-under the house) I think they said it was stocked 4, 3 months. They also stash supplies along the route to a boat (several miles away)

I doubt the boat plan would work, but that bomb shelter made me drool.

Manolito
01-22-2013, 4:48 PM
I live out in the middle of no where so I am staying either in my house or in a tent if house burns down. We have two foot of snow and if you watch the tracks there is not a lot out there to eat so if you are coming from the city bring food.

My Bob is for disaster preperation. Natural disasters I hope not man made. I have chickens and sheep enough to slaughter over time for at least a year of living. the details are the tough part. I have 2K pounds of wheat berries but I have to be able to grind them without power. Keeping the Bob out of the house allows the contents to survive a fire in the house. Water is across the road a year around spring so the basics are taken care of shelter, water, food. I keep five hundred pounds of salt in blocks for food preservation. When I have a little extra money I add to the non electric items from Lehmans.

Lets hope this is all just a drill to learn from. I would bet the folks from the last couple of storms wish they were better prepared.

ElDub1950
01-22-2013, 4:52 PM
OP, are you shocked that no one actually gave you an answer? LOL

Irv
01-27-2013, 9:05 PM
Let me give you a quick scenario. What would you do if at 1:15 am there is banging at your door and it the Sheriff Dept. He tells you, you got 10 minutes to get your things together and vacate the premise.
Let me tell you the adrenalin is pumping.
Lucky Firestorm 2007 survivors...

mt4design
01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Bugging in.

There is no way it'll be possible to get out of L.A. via clogged roads and freeways.

I'm prepped to Shelter in Place until I can secure the safest way to escape from L.A. (that doesn't involve Kurt Russell and a surfboard). :D

Fot
01-28-2013, 8:58 PM
OP is just trolling.. I am within a days hike of the Sierra Nevada's. Think some forget California is more then just San Fran or L.A.

M1NM
01-28-2013, 9:57 PM
The Queen Mary in Long Beach...Come on its a ship!

It's a statue - ship implys it floats. It sits in a couple big saddles. The Japanese wanted to buy it til they figured out it wouldn't survive the tow to Japan - too many interior bulkheads removed to open it up for the tourist trade.

Summers
01-28-2013, 11:25 PM
My Summer route

37.421344, -118.946043
37.50162, -118.92471
37.2240, -118.836 see the tall dead tree i have supplies at the base of it.
37.0618, -118.5869
36.86686, -118.51941

TigerShark
01-29-2013, 3:18 AM
I'm bugging out to my Living Room

FMFdevildoc
01-29-2013, 3:55 AM
I'm going to the BJs in San Bernadino, where the hot nurse works (I call the chicks who serve me beer "nurse").

I'll drink 5-6 pints of Jeremiah's Red and get sloshed. Then, I'll call a cab and go home.

peter95
01-29-2013, 8:41 PM
All I know, wherever I but out, any calgunner is welcomed to join and we will have eachothers back! Seriously though... If we cangunners stick together, we can accomplish true survival.

Erion929
01-30-2013, 3:54 PM
Found a little island on a lake somewhere in the bay within 10miles of my house. Already have fishing poles/food somewhere there.

FWIW...I found your spot. Ate your food already. But I did leave a note to say "Sorry."

Oh, and sold your fishing poles.

:D

Davidwhitewolf
01-30-2013, 5:18 PM
Well, I'll take the OP's question seriously. I discussed my family's plans a few years ago here. (http://www.softgreenglow.com/wp/?p=7349)

In brief, if we had to ditch Livermore we'd go to stay with or near family in other locations in California. The state's big enough that any natural disaster isn't going to knock everything out at once.

My grandma's place in Concord is, amazingly, actually reasonably defensible and self-sufficient; if the Central Valley seems advisable we have family in Visalia/Tulare; if the foothills seem better we've got family up there as well. Most important is that all those folks either know of our plans or would welcome us if we showed up.

Afterthought: As for the OP's idea to hightail it to a Vegas hotel, that's not actually a bad idea, but 1) will you be able to get there, and 2) will you get there before everybody else heading there from Cali arrives and locks up all of the hotel rooms? Not a joke: this RAND study (http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/TR391.html) had some very interesting maps about California evacuation patterns and Vegas gets overwhelmed after even a minor event in the LA basin.

sixoclockhold
03-12-2013, 3:29 PM
When you take precautions 30 years ago for the shtf day, God won't let me down.. Will be there in 50 months anyway, God willing and the creek don't rise.

The smell of retirement. The motto of a Boy Scout.

Water, Fish, Game, Hardwoods, Climate, City of 204. 2 hours from the nearest interstate, 2 ways in and out, one being a local hydro plant dam.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/jyant/campjyantkilr_zps9e157a4d.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/jyant/Ozark_zpsb0277e8a.jpg

solidrock648
03-12-2013, 8:25 PM
I'm blessed to be moving to the hills soon, so I'd be buggin in initially. If the need to evacuate arises I have other family members living a relatively short distance away. I doubt folks will be poking around where I'm at, but on the off chance they do I'm confident I would be be more than capable of reducing such a threat. LV sounds dreadful, buddy. I'd rethink that a little if I were you.

Steve_In_29
03-12-2013, 9:59 PM
I am already bugged out since we live way outside a major metropolitan area and have a Marine Base to help keep things organized locally, since it is simpler for them to help the town then to try to seal the hundreds of miles of non-fenced perimeter.

Our town just needs to work on keeping all you newly homeless from trying to move in to our newly gated community.