PDA

View Full Version : BOB for wife and baby

jfifer
01-14-2013, 7:38 AM
Ssssooo...i built a bug out bag. A pretty good one and i am proud of it... But, my wife thinks i am nuts. Doesn't habe to say, I can tell.... How do i build one primarily for her and my four month old baby without asking her?? I know this sounds silly but i am just going to keep this to myself from now on. I am just happy she can shoot. Advice for what a lady requires? Baby?

TheChief
01-14-2013, 9:23 AM
I understand your pain...but dont hide it. Do it above board so she knows about it in case you are not there when she needs it. Also, it is the beginning to her understanding this is something you are really interested in and so she needs to support to some degree. Marriage is work and all that...

I picked up a Kelty FC3 Child carrier for my wife when our kids was younger. I loaded the smail pack in the carrier with baby supplies like diapers, formula, wipes etc. Also some basic gear like compass, knife, fire starting, water, etc. I carried most of the other gear.

A rule of thumb I heard back when...a child can walk 1/2 mile for every year in age. Obviously there is a steap learning curve at first...can you imagine a 1 year old baby walking a 1/2 mile? Given this and our current config of using a heavy duty off road capable stroller, we got rid of the carrier when she turned three.

Hope this helps.

jfifer
01-14-2013, 9:44 AM
:) shes aware of it, just annoyed. "your backack takes up the whole freaking trunk." ahahha. She knows what i have and where it is, but gives me a "seriously?" look when i ask her what she wants go have when we have to bug out. I never thought of a stroller, or carrier. That is really awesome advice. I bought about 200 rounds of 12 ga 00 before the craze specifically for the BOB with a short double barrel that breaks down and fits real nice along with the rest a BOB requires. Diapers.... I didnt think of that either.... Those have to change out often... Thank you :)

FeuerFrei
01-14-2013, 5:58 PM
Emergency "diaper bag". Good idea! Replicate what mom keeps in regular every day bag and add the woman stuff in there. You know what is needed. You carry the main stuff for both of you and mom carries baby and baby bob. Sell the " it's for the baby's survival" angle. Good luck.

Sent with 2 cans & a long string.

bill_k_lopez
01-14-2013, 6:39 PM
My wife calls it "the body bag". Every car has one (we have 2 SUV's and a Crown Vic) it fits the width of the back cargo area in our Yukon's. She was never against it, but I got a lot of cr*p about it, until some of her friends started asking about the body bag, once she'd tell them what it was for, they all started saying what a thoughtful idea it was to have the kind of items you might need in an emergency (including a very good first-aid kit) in the car where the kids travel.

Sunday
01-14-2013, 6:48 PM
Ssssooo...i built a bug out bag. A pretty good one and i am proud of it... But, my wife thinks i am nuts. Doesn't habe to say, I can tell.... How do i build one primarily for her and my four month old baby without asking her?? I know this sounds silly but i am just going to keep this to myself from now on. I am just happy she can shoot. Advice for what a lady requires? Baby?
When it comes time to bug out ,,,leave them behind ,you made them the offer. ,,, kidding make a double one for you and the mrs . The baby will quickly out grow any bag you make.so just have something you can load up with kid stuff as needed.

jbohon
01-14-2013, 8:45 PM
Don't leave her out of it. Just let her know that it makes you feel safer knowing that if something happens, you can take care of her and the little one. I know that my wife thought I was a little nuts when I put together my bag. (she still thinks I'm am) But she can appreciate that it makes me more secure knowing that I can provide for her and the kids in the event of an emergency. She understands feelings better than logic...

just my .02...

marklewiswalker
01-17-2013, 7:16 AM
Great info people I'm in same position as OP.

jfifer
01-20-2013, 7:58 PM
Havent checked this in a while. :) man, im ready to just leave her when shtf ahahah. Ill give her a knife a match and come paracord. Ahahaha

madland
01-27-2013, 6:53 AM
I just recently put a new one together for our newest addition to the family. Yes, it's a diaper bag..but I added a few things as well that are non-baby essentials but good to have in the event you are somewhere with your little one and your bag in tow and even something minor happens (power outage,etc). I added a flashlight,nitrile gloves,550 cord,multi-tool,water, among other things. And I used a patrol bag from LAPG, so when the baby outgrows it I can use it for something else like an extra range bag! :D
As far as what I have in the wife's BOB..same items you would put in any other BOB, plus femine hygiene stuff for her. In a true SHTF event..I think that is very important to consider. I even keep some for her in my BOB. My .02

Tripper
01-27-2013, 9:43 AM
just know that she will appreciate it once its done and in her possession or available to her
my wife was sort of hesitant about BOB stuff when I first started, then my daughter was in NC for a time, and I made her a BOB (or a stay safe, get back on the road bag) to put in her car, I wanted to make sure my daughter was self sufficient, anyways, long story short, my wife was jealous, and asked wheres hers, of course it was in her car the whole time, now she keeps an eye out for stuff even.

WokMaster1
01-27-2013, 9:58 AM
Choice of words would help. Call it a BOB in case the world ends will obviously draw the look of "Seriously"????? from her. How about an earthquake preparedness bag in case our house collapse.... I think she won't have any issues with that.

kaligaran
01-27-2013, 2:50 PM
I'm in the same position but the other way around.

Pretty much I always buy 2 of just about everything. Knowing how to use the items in it is just as important than having the items in the first place.
So don't pick anything that is going to be complex or unclear to use b/c you may not always be around.

madland
01-27-2013, 8:44 PM
Don't forget extra shoes/socks for her. Depending on her line of work, or if she wears sandals,flats,etc. most of the time..that's not gonna be good footwear if she ends up having to hoof it somewhere..or the terrain is jacked up (think after an earthquake.) My wife has a bag in her car, as well as one in her office. Big5 always has some decent all terrain/hiking shoes on sale in the $20 range. Didn't want to spend too much $$ on something that will most likely never hit the ground unless a true emergency, but will still provide adequate footwear for her if they are ever needed. I keep an extra pair for her in my truck as well, and an extra pair for myself in her car. Don't forget the socks either=blisters.
For the baby's bag..I keep a lot of that stuff in 1-gallon ziploc bags to help shield them against the elements..especially the diapers. Clean diapers that somehow managed to get wet will make your little one an unhappy camper...same goes for clothes. Bag/seal up at least one full change of clothes. My .02