PDA

View Full Version : Paracord2L on kickstarter

ErickwCurls
01-13-2013, 4:59 PM
My good friend invented this neat little tool for storing, carrying, and working with para/550 cord. Has an integrated cutting blade and holds a Bic lighter and has different forming slots for different paracord diameters so you can shape the heated end.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p636/xLaEnanax/IMG_0069_zps4c2e205c.jpg

This picture shows the difference in 50' on the Paracord2L and just in a short loop.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/412340/photo-full.jpg?1355864436

http://kck.st/S7gEx7

His Kickstarter link. If you guys like it pass it along and maybe back this project. He's a really great guy and I think he has a great little tool to have in your car or around the house. I know I'll have a couple when this thing comes out!

thanks

ucbruins
01-13-2013, 6:28 PM
Great idea! I'll take two when it's available, but I don't like the risk of kickstarter.

ErickwCurls
01-13-2013, 6:55 PM
Back it for $25 if the impossible happens and he runs off with your money, I'll reimburse you personally!

omnitravis
01-13-2013, 7:43 PM
There is no risk. I donated to one where once it met its goal, the guy bailed on everyone. People were really patient too, waited a few months before anyone started leaving rude messages on the kickstarter page. People were emailing him, facebooking, no answer. Asked amazon payments to get me my money back, and I had every cent back within a week. F that guy.
I'm in for $25.

Decoligny
01-14-2013, 9:09 AM
It looks like it is a unitasker.
I prefer to keep my paracord wrapped up in a daisy chain.
I carry a lighter with me all the time, and I have several spares in my BoB.
I carry a knife with me all the time, and I have several spares in my BoB.
Why would I want to carry the additional weight for a tool that basically does one thing, and only one thing.

Alton Brown from Good Eats has a rule that the only Unitasker he owns is a fire extinguisher.

I apply that philosophy to my BoB. If something can't do more than one job, it doesn't belong in my BoB. About the only unitaskers I have in my BoB are my firestarters.

Gabriel80
01-14-2013, 9:14 AM
it's kind of cool, he seems a long way from his pledge goal of $12,000! Good luck, thansk for sharing

TheChief
01-14-2013, 9:29 AM
It looks like it is a unitasker.
I prefer to keep my paracord wrapped up in a daisy chain.
I carry a lighter with me all the time, and I have several spares in my BoB.
I carry a knife with me all the time, and I have several spares in my BoB.
Why would I want to carry the additional weight for a tool that basically does one thing, and only one thing.

Alton Brown from Good Eats has a rule that the only Unitasker he owns is a fire extinguisher.

I apply that philosophy to my BoB. If something can't do more than one job, it doesn't belong in my BoB. About the only unitaskers I have in my BoB are my firestarters.

ummm what other tasks is your water filter/purifier doing beside filtering/purifying water? What about your back pack, shoes, rope knife, etc?

gemoose23
01-14-2013, 9:50 AM
ummm what other tasks is your water filter/purifier doing beside filtering/purifying water? What about your back pack, shoes, rope knife, etc?

OOO, Alton Brown fan here also, I want to play. :43:

Water Filter and Purifier: Can also be used to filter alcohol, beer, wine as well as water. SHTF and you are a moonshiner and want to make Banana moonshine (thank you pauly shore :D)..need filter. :)

Backpack can be used as a rifle rest, pillow or drybag if it is waterproof.

Shoes hold shoelaces, support for metal feet on a broken BBQ (did this once tailgating)

Rope is definitely not a unitasker too many uses hold up a tent, lasso cattle, etc.

Knife cooking tool, eating tool, cutting tool.

Picture of Alton Brown with a Unitasker he likes (even by his definition it still isnt a unitasker).. AB and a MK17.. from his twitter feed.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/AgBAsdyCIAAg29d.jpg:large

Decoligny
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM

The main point is what does it add to my BoB other than weight and bulk? My paracord is already stowed where I can access it and cut off short lenghts if needed. I already have knives to cut the paracord. I already have lighters to melt the cut ends.

I learned early on to limit the weight I carry wherever I can. For example: When I used to backpack in the woods, I never carried tent stakes. I used wood from the environment to make my own tent stakes. I saved carrying a few extra ounces so I can carry a few more ounces of water food or ammo.

Everything in my BoB serves an absolutely necessary function. Wherever possible if something can do many different jobs, then so much the better.