PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Pro-CCW Sheriff's candidate for San Diego County!

Paladin
09-01-2007, 8:08 AM
I'm hauling my posts over from CACCW.org since the the topic isn't getting much traction there (http://californiaccw.org/posts/list/4377.page).

Apparently, the anti-CCW incumbent has been diagnosed w/Alzheimer's disease (:(). While we can't do anything about that, we -- that is YOU -- who live in So Cal can use this opportunity to allow another 8% of Californians to readily obtain CA CCWs. BUT YOU MUST ACT FAST AND INTELLIGENTLY.

Contact the registrar of voters ASAP to find out how such an election would take place: via special election, or will an interim Sheriff be appointed until the next regular election prior to the normal Sheriffs election in 2010; filing dates, etc. You must immediately find out if the new sheriff will be appointed, and if so, who does the appointing. Then get organizing to put political pressure on that person/group.

You should see if some of those candidates who ran unsuccessfully against Baca or Carona and are pro-CCW are interested in running in SD (e.g., see the link to Full Disclosure in my sig line).

Network, network, network: gun shops, clubs, ranges, the local NRA members council, and the IDPA and USPSA (IPSC) websites to find all their local clubs. IIRC, there were a bunch of them, esp near the border w/Riverside Co. These places are "target rich environments" for finding local leaders as well as troopers.

You've got a LOT of high schools, colleges, and universities that you can hit with fliers to find students who will volunteer to help the cause. Plus, some might even be able to help and get school credit for it! (Although they might have to be cagey re how they describe the issue and why they're doing it.) Remember, anyone who WILL be 18 or older at the time of the next election is a constituent that politicians will want to please (aka "a voter").

Go to http://concealedcampus.org/leaders.htm to find at least one local college student to help.

Also, hit the Open Carry forums, since a lot of those guys would be happy to get a CCW.

Be sure to hit all the major forums to announce and to look for recruits (GlockTalk, High Road, Polite Society, WarriorTalk, Tactical Forums, S&W forums, etc.). Post over at CalCCW.com too.

Others in So Cal but who live outside of SD might be able to go to offer occasional help (walking a precinct handing out fliers, etc). Maybe the folks over at CalCCW.com will take this on as a project (a lot of them are in So Cal, esp OC) since taking SD to Reasonable Issue (vs Discriminatory Issue) would have a major impact on CA's overall issuance rates.

Others from other parts of the state might be able to help too.

Check some of my older threads over at californiaccw.org for ideas re political organizing/action. You may want to set up a private website/forum for members only to help in organizing and coordinating your efforts.

There is NO TIME TO WASTE! Once you get a new sheriff in office, it is VERY hard to remove him (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=60489). An ounce to prevent an anti win now is worth a pound of challengers in future races.

Winning SD would be a tremendous gain. They've got a pop of about 3 million, about 8% of CA's population (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06073.html), and they're another relatively urban county. A Reasonable Issuance policy in SD will raise the issue further in So Cal and put more pressure on LAC to change sheriffs and/or issuance policies.

ATTACK ! ! !

damon1272
09-01-2007, 8:53 AM
Bill Collender has alzhimers?
I would love to see a pro CCW canidate get elected. What about the sargent that has run against him the last few times. He was very pro CCW and I listened to him in terveiws and he seem very squared away with a good pulse on what is acctually happening out there as opposed to the speil the Sherriff gave.

Roccobro
10-24-2007, 6:12 PM
I was forwarded this thread from my Brother who is a SD Deputy.

Has there been any more coordination on this? his email said something to the effect of "be ready to jump in and help make this happen for when it passes". Sounded VERY Pro-CCW to me! :D

I'd like to help (and get him and co-workers in on it). WHat do we need done?

Justin

CCWFacts
10-24-2007, 6:27 PM
Get him to run! He should run on an openly pro-CCW platform. Sheriff Carona got a lot of support in OC based on his CCW policies. SD is culturally similar to OC.

He does need to be very careful in criticism of his own department. A couple of candidates got in trouble in the last round. And he needs to remember, whether he wins or loses he will be working with these people for years to come.

taloft
10-24-2007, 6:34 PM
Bill Collender has alzhimers?
I would love to see a pro CCW canidate get elected. What about the sargent that has run against him the last few times. He was very pro CCW and I listened to him in terveiws and he seem very squared away with a good pulse on what is acctually happening out there as opposed to the speil the Sherriff gave.I think you're talking about Ruff. He was the main opposition during the last election. He had good numbers but, didn't make it. I met him while he was stumping for votes. Very pro-CCW and well spoken.

JeffCinSac
10-25-2007, 5:37 AM
Came across this old thread.

Paladin, if you stir up trouble by asking people to volunteer their time, you should have the courtesy take the time to post information that renders your previous post moot. I found this link by googling "Kolender alzheimer's."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071013-9999-1n13sheriff.html

-J

Bill_in_SD
10-25-2007, 6:28 AM
The article does state that he will end his term early for his own health reasons as well.

2011 is a loooong time from now, a lot can change in a year, and we need to be ready.

Hardly renders his post moot.

Bill in SD

rod
10-25-2007, 7:53 AM
I heard something recently about our Sheriff getting a little up there in years and his marbles becoming a little loose. His assistant, Jim Cooke, is the one who goes to most of the meetings and takes care of the majority of the day to day stuff. If Ol' Bill retires one way or the other, his assistant would more than likely fill in until someone could get elected. If Ruff runs again, he'd get my vote.

Paladin
10-25-2007, 9:25 AM
Came across this old thread.

Paladin, if you stir up trouble by asking people to volunteer their time, you should have the courtesy take the time to post information that renders your previous post moot. I found this link by googling "Kolender alzheimer's."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071013-9999-1n13sheriff.html

-JJeff, why are you trying to "stir up trouble"?

Did you "have the courtesy to take the time" to read the date when I started this thread? 1 Sept 2007. Did you "have the courtesy to take the time" to read the date of your new information? 13 Oct 2007. Did you "have the courtesy to take the time" to notice that I did NOT resurrect this old thread without seeing if there was any new information re it? No. Yet you accuse me of trying to "stir up trouble." :rolleyes:

JeffCinSac, I won't even bother to ask if you had "the courtesy to take the time" to read the californiaccw.org link I provided which linked to the original thread where "GuyW" in SD wrote:

I've observed the Sheriff in person - dunno if it's Alzheimers ('cause I'm not a doc nor have any experience with the disease)...but I can tell you he's not firing on all 8 cylinders.

The disgusting aspect is how the San Diego political establishment has recently trotted him out in public to support themselves. Make no mistake - there is an entire political organisation at the SO that runs it now, and if their man (Gore I think) is not defeated, it will be more of the same...detachment from the public, cronyism, and a reduction in CCWs...

All that said, I have no affection for the man whatsoever (poster boy for Handgun Kontrol and a shameless lier about his pro-gun kontrol stance whenever he campaigned)...and the sooner he and his handlers are gone, the better for San Diego.

For everyone else: my take on the new info JeffCinSac provided: there is a LOT of smoke surrounding Kolender. Unless he allows access to his medical records, you're just taking his word that he's never been diagnosed w/dementia.

Seems like Gore is the heir apparent. As I wrote http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=643112#post643112
"WorkMaster1: Excellent post! You point out some major problems w/the current set-up. A lot of sheriffs act like feudal lords, not just over their citizens/subject, but also over their subordinates. Power corrupts . . . and term limits help limit power. You explain why it is so hard to replace an incumbent sheriff: anyone who would be willing to challenge him must be an outsider (not from w/in the local sheriffs office), and outsiders won't have the local connections to build up a political machine to take on the incumbent. The average voter sees a "known quantity" (incumbent) vs some unknown outsider and the incumbent wins every time (barring major screw ups)."

You SD people should organize locally regardless whether Kolander steps down because Gore will take over Kolanders big political machine. The races are in June 2010 and the cutoff for candidates is about 6 months earlier. A year before that (Jan 2009) you should find a qualified local LEO who would be a viable candidate and willing to take on Gore. For him/her to want to enter that fight, it is best to have an established political org in place already (you're now into 2008, which starts in 2 months). No time to lose.

Plus, if Kolander does retire early, you want to be able to influence who is appointed to finish his term. Who would appoint Gore: Kolander? The Board of Supervisors? FIND OUT ! You need a local political org focused on the sheriff's office immediately, for you KNOW Kolander is on his way out, with less than 2 1/2 yrs until the cutoff for candidates for his replacement.

Wish you in SD the best! You've got a big fight in front of you.

Roccobro
10-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Sorry if I caused a problem resurrecting this thread. As I said, the link I got came from my bro and looked like it was from "the inside".

It's funny how when you talk to most LEO's, they KNOW law abiding CCW holders are a big positive to society. Even if they aren't NRA or read CAL-guns, TFL or any other 2A board. But they can't do much to change the "machine" themselves.

Lets be ready.

Justin

grammaton76
10-25-2007, 3:16 PM
Man, do I want to see Kolender out. I've been telling folks ever since before he won the last election, to spread the word that whoever they vote for, vote against Kolender.

GuyW
05-28-2008, 2:30 PM
Man, do I want to see Kolender out. I've been telling folks ever since before he won the last election, to spread the word that whoever they vote for, vote against Kolender.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82332