PDA

View Full Version : legality of Bullet buttons

lorenolson888
09-01-2007, 8:34 AM
I imagine with all the bullet buttons I am hearing about that the ATF has deemed them legal? any pdf of a doc stating this...

Would it be smart to keep a copy of this with your gun case... I always kept a copy of my receipt and reg paperwork hidden under the foam in my cases for pre 2000 guns...

Does the DOJ disagree? The current case threads suggest that the BB is of course not known by the local authorities and that the DOJ is making statements and retracting them all the time...

any summary of what the DOJ is up to now? Are they backing off at all?

Is it safe to build bb clone OL guns...

Mute
09-01-2007, 8:42 AM
The bullet buttons are not an ATF issue. It is purely a California matter. You will not get anything from the CA DOJ other than some kind of weasel statement that neither declares them legal or illegal, unless it comes from Iggy, in which case everything is verboten.

As to how safe it is to build a BB OLL, there are quite a few people with such builds, many here on this board. No one has knocked on their doors yet. If the DOJ wants to really push this issue, there are more than enough members on this board who are willing to sick really mean lawyers on them for a legal fight.

M. Sage
09-01-2007, 9:30 AM
Perfect summary. I could add that Iggy has pretty much certainly shared the public rifle line at Chabot with BB-equipped rifles. He hasn't dragged anybody off the range, hasn't called the police on them, or anything like that.

DOJ knows the BB is legal, they're just playing dumb (this time). It's hard to tell the difference, I know.

dfletcher
09-01-2007, 9:44 AM
Perfect summary. I could add that Iggy has pretty much certainly shared the public rifle line at Chabot with BB-equipped rifles. He hasn't dragged anybody off the range, hasn't called the police on them, or anything like that.
DOJ knows the BB is legal, they're just playing dumb (this time). It's hard to tell the difference, I know.

Is there a general assumption that if Iggy were @ Chabot and saw an AW he would ask the shooter to prove it is registered? Or if Iggy saw a FAL being used with a lock screw type mag he may take offense & call local PD? Do we know if Iggy is a Chabot member or does use as a non - member?

bwiese
09-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Dunno if Iggy is a "member" but he shoots there.

There must have been at least 1,000 off-list rifles with any of numerous mag-fixing methods (or MonsterMan grips or U15 stocks) that Iggy has passed walking down the range line to/from his position.

The recently evaporated Modesto case and the current Norcal case are both FFLs who apparently Iggy & crew don't like, thus the "special attention".

If you have a real AW, it better had be registered as such. There is no legal requirement to carry the paperwork with you, though police can inquire and find out the reg status over radio/MDT (If the information is broadcast en clair over the radio, that's illegal.)

I believe Iggy has had orders not to troll ranges due to political concerns.

Also, Iggy appears to not be too welcome at some ranges (Richmond) - at least for membership - and he needs a place to shoot so this may play into matters as well.

M. Sage
09-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Is there a general assumption that if Iggy were @ Chabot and saw an AW he would ask the shooter to prove it is registered? Or if Iggy saw a FAL being used with a lock screw type mag he may take offense & call local PD? Do we know if Iggy is a Chabot member or does use as a non - member?

He might not, but if these were illegal, I could see him going up to the bathroom to call the police. He's got a reputation for trolling at ranges, even at ranges that are all-LE. :eek:

lorenolson888
09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
THanks Bwise...

"If you have a real AW, it better had be registered as such. There is no legal requirement to carry the paperwork with you, though police can inquire and find out the reg status over radio/MDT (If the information is broadcast en clair over the radio, that's illegal.)"

I figured it could not hurt to have a photocopy... at the end of 99 I reged my stuff... at the time I was not asleep at the wheel! But I was in 2005 when the BMG ban went through... So I vowed to get back into the hobby and make sure I get all the good stuff (legally) before more state law are passed or a fed level ban is reinstituted...

But Myself and others were harrased in 2000 2001 by BLM white truck guys... so we stopped shooting there... with reged guns... So I figured it mught help in that case. Thank god I have never had to use the paperwork. We used to shoot all the time on BLM land outside Redding CA. The gun store owners I know who are involved with local politics up there feel it is not work it to tangle with the BLM. A whie ago they were fighting local gov't to get a permit to have an outdoor range for quite sometime. As far as I know there still is no outdoor range out there!

I am planning a G-3 build and want to make sure that the bb is fairly accepted...

I can always shoot the reged guns, but kind of want to save those for the long haul... So if I go with the BB I am probably safe huh :43::43::43:

Thanks,

LO