PDA

View Full Version : mailing guns

mxndrnks
08-31-2007, 5:38 PM
I have done some searching and ended up a little confused about mailing guns. I have about 7 guns that I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away. They are both long guns and pistols. They are a shotgun, a couple of 22 cal rifles and an M1 Carbine. THe pistols are a 1911, 38cal, and a 22 mag derringer. I was planning to bring them back with me on my flight. But, a UPS screw up has my ATA certified Guns case arriving after I leave to come back to Cali..... Can I have my cousin ship these to me via UPS/Fedex? Is it legal or not? DO they need to go to an FFL? A couple of them are collectors (will post a photo later) si I absolutely do not want to loose any of them from a screw up on my end. If you could help m out I would greatly appreciate it! Any links to the laws that cover this for back-up? Thanks Guys!

P.S. You Calgun guys are really making want to build an OLL...... Darn you......:p

SemiAutoSam
08-31-2007, 5:41 PM
You can use the USPS to ship rifles and shotguns to at least a FFL.

You can ship a Rifle and a shotgun and a handgun via UPS or FedEx (Handgun must be shipped overnight)

An FFL can use any of those carriers to ship any firearm from what I remember YES even USPS.

CSDGuy
08-31-2007, 5:46 PM
You can ship long guns and handguns (unloaded of course) via common carrier to yourself. You can mail to yourself long guns via USPS. Only FFL's can mail handguns via USPS.

That's basically the gist of it.

mxndrnks
08-31-2007, 7:36 PM
Thanks guys.... I have to catch a plane in two days.... So this is helping me out a lot to figure this thing out! Thanks again!

-hanko
08-31-2007, 9:51 PM
You can ship long guns and handguns (unloaded of course) via common carrier to yourself. You can mail to yourself long guns via USPS. Only FFL's can mail handguns via USPS.

That's basically the gist of it.
Right on. If the carbine has a magazine with capacity of >10 rounds, shipping or hand-carrying the mag into CA is illegal. Otoh, posession of a GI mag is not against the law.

Buy the insurance. If you ship usps, ask for delivery verification for the packages. Post pics of everything;)

-hanko

colossians323
09-01-2007, 8:17 AM
Buy a new case, it's not that expensive, espicially if you have time left.