View Full Version : Who can tighten an AR barrel nut in the Bay Area?

01-12-2013, 5:57 PM
Hello all! New to the forums and just got my first upper. After stripping it down I noticed that the barrel nut wasnít perfectly aligned. This is causing the gas tube that enters the upper receiver to be at a slight angle and rub the BCG when sliding in. This over time will wear out the gas line and cause other problems I donít want. The barrel bolt needs to move about a 16th of an inch or so to be perfect. The other problem is the quad rail allen screw causes it to be un-aligned, very annoying.
Does anyone know where I could get this fixed quickly without paying an arm and a leg? I am located in the East Bay (San Ramon) I would do it myself but don't have a bench...

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks everyone!

Here is a photo with an arrow showing the direction the gas line is leaning:


01-12-2013, 6:20 PM
I am not sure what kind of barrel nut your specific rail uses. With the standard barrel nut you need a special armours wrench. With a Larue rail you use a rubber strap wrench after loosening the set screws.
Sometimes the gas tube is a little bent like that even though the barrel nut hole is lined up and you can actually just bend it the other direction slightly to fix it.

01-12-2013, 6:49 PM
I thought about that and wish it was the case but its not :( As you can see the quadrail set screw is hitting the barrel nut ridge and causing it to offset because it is not properly lined up. Also you can see the gas line entering at a bit of an angle as well...


01-12-2013, 6:55 PM
Location? I have an armorers wrench... I live in the IE

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

01-12-2013, 7:08 PM
Sorry, updated that info. I am in Northern CA, East Bay, San Ramon. Thanks for reaching out though!

01-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Bump, anyone know a gunsmith that could do this? I would do it myself but don't have a bench anymore :(

01-13-2013, 7:24 PM
Bump, anyone know a gunsmith that could do this? I would do it myself but don't have a bench anymore :(

I would love to help you but you are a bit far! I have a wrench too...

Maybe you could go to somewhere like Valkyrie Arms they seem nice?

01-14-2013, 4:19 PM
I am going to call gun works tomorrow and see if they are open...

01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
You could also just do it your self... you would take off the gas block and gas tube via either punching out it's pins or unscrewing it then put your upper in a vice via an action block http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730930/dpms-upper-receiver-action-block-ar-15-delrin and then remove the nut with a wrench like this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/885858/dpms-multi-tool-ar-15-steel?cm_vc=subv1271183. Not too hard really just need the right tools.