PDA

View Full Version : Rookie San Francisco cop who shot himself to death at party was intoxicated

Steyr_223
08-30-2007, 9:45 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/30/BA78RSJKI.DTL

(08-30) 17:14 PDT SAN MATEO - A San Francisco rookie police officer who shot himself to death during a late-night gathering at his San Mateo apartment was legally drunk, toxicology tests show.

Officer James Gustafson Jr., 23, had a blood alcohol level of 0.09 percent - slightly above the 0.08 limit for legally driving a car - when he shot himself Aug. 11, San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault said today.

Gustafson shot himself in the neck at 1:40 a.m. during a gathering of as many as 15 people, as he was showing a woman how police are taught to prevent someone from using a gun against them, authorities said.

There's no way to know whether Gustafson was too drunk to know what he was doing, the coroner said.

"Somebody's blood alcohol level and their ability to function correctly can vary from individual to individual," Foucrault said. "It's subjective."

According to those familiar with the incident, Gustafson was showing the woman his Police Department-issued semiautomatic pistol after removing the magazine that stores the rounds. However, there was still a round in the chamber.

Gustafson pointed the weapon at his neck and pulled the trigger, shooting himself, according to authorities.

The coroner's office has ruled the case an accident. Police initially characterized the case as an accident but are awaiting official receipt of the toxicology results and gunshot residue tests before making a final determination, Lt. Mike Brunicardi said.

Gustafson graduated from the San Francisco police academy in January. He had recently finished a six-month stint in the Mission District under a field training officer and had been transferred to the department's Central Station.

mecam
08-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Putting a gun in your neck and pulling the trigger an accident? Wow...:confused:

lawnrevenge
08-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Alcohol and guns is like oil and water...
Too bad that cop disengaged the most important safety between his ears.

Dont Tread on Me
08-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Ladies, drinks, and guns. The accident triangle.

taloft
08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
There's no way to know whether Gustafson was too drunk to know what he was doing, the coroner said.

"Somebody's blood alcohol level and their ability to function correctly can vary from individual to individual," Foucrault said. "It's subjective." Unless you are a citizen driving down the road, then it is no longer subjective it's a fact. I'd say shooting yourself in the neck is a good indicator that you've had one too many.

scootergmc
08-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't think he was too drunk. I think he was dumb and inexperienced with firearms.

The SoCal Gunner
08-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't think he was too drunk. I think he was dumb and inexperienced with firearms.

Definitely, plus cocky.

M. Sage
08-30-2007, 11:17 PM
I nominate this article for the "No Duh" of the year award.

bwiese
08-30-2007, 11:33 PM
I could blow 0.30 and wouldn't do anything that stupid.

I knew it was alcohol-related after reading the initial article a week or so ago.

I guess we're gonna have to remove the LEO exemption from the 'safe handgun' Roster laws.

///D
08-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Though legally over the limit, I'd say being young, cocky, and having a badge in front a chick is to blame, not the alcohol. As bwiese said, I can be drunk off my ***** and still not point a gun to my neck and attempt to fire it.

M. Sage
08-30-2007, 11:47 PM
I could blow 0.30 and wouldn't do anything that stupid.

I knew it was alcohol-related after reading the initial article a week or so ago.

I guess we're gonna have to remove the LEO exemption from the 'safe handgun' Roster laws.

I have to agree with you. I've been rather drunk around guns, never done anything stupid with them (like handle them)...

artherd
08-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Tragic, still surprising. I could be falling-down drunk and still never do something that incredibly stupid.

08-31-2007, 2:23 AM
As I said before, it is hard for me to feel sorry for him. My prayers go out to his family. I am just glad to see that the "drunk person" finally killed the right the person.

tiki
08-31-2007, 5:46 AM
I can't imagine sitting around after a few drinks and then going and opening the gun safe, let alone pointing a firearm at myself or someone else.
I feel bad for the girl who stood there and watched it. Just think how that is going to affect her for the rest of her life. Sad, very sad. :(
It's also too bad no one at the party took the initiative to disarm him. That would have been fun to do. "Good morning. I disarmed one of your officers at a party last night after be began waving his dept issued firearm around in a crowded house while off duty and drunk. Can you send someone over to pick it up? Thanks."

Stormfeather
08-31-2007, 6:33 AM
ahhh... refreshing to see San Francisco Darwinism at its finest. . . . .

EastBayRidge
08-31-2007, 6:33 AM
"I can't imagine sitting around after a few drinks and then going and opening the gun safe, let alone pointing a firearm at myself or someone else."

+1

When that first beer is cracked, everything is locked up tight and the keys are hidden away. Nothing comes out.

Jicko
08-31-2007, 6:58 AM
When you are drunk, you can come onto calguns and post s#%t..... at least, you won't kill yourself....

*sigh*

Clodbuster
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
What would you like the coroner to write... --- Suicide --- BY COP.
That would be truly ironic esp. in SF.

Clod

Putting a gun in your neck and pulling the trigger an accident? Wow...:confused:

Python2
08-31-2007, 2:52 PM
I would look at the statement as something to do with collecting insurance. This whole thing is very sad, hope we all learn from it.

ccwguy
08-31-2007, 3:40 PM
Better that he pointed HIS gun at himself rather than the CHP lady who pointed mine (loaded) at herself in a routine traffic stop, in a school zone at that!! They are indeed 'professionals. Darwinism, go figure.

Both he and her needed to take my CCW class, and not rely on P.O.S.T.!