PDA

View Full Version : Want to scout a pig hunting area with me on Friday? (North of Sac)

ohsmily
08-30-2007, 8:31 AM
I just moved to the Sacramento area (Davis to be exact). I want to do some pig hunting (first time hunting pig) and received a tip from a fellow member about an area that is public land and is a good area to hunt pigs up here. The area is about 1.5 hours north of Sacramento. I want to make a scouting trip to the area before I make an actual hunting trip out of it.

Other than my wife and some of her vet school friends, I don't know anyone up here; hence this post.

So, does anyone, experienced hunter or not, want to scout out the area with me on Friday? I don't have high hopes of finding much b/c pig hunting on public land is usually pretty sparse, but you never know. But, at the least it will be a nice hike in the outdoors and there is always the possibility we will get lucky and see signs of some pigs or find actual pigs.

If you are thinking of joining me, please be fit enough to do some rigorous hiking in what may be hilly, overgrown terrain in hot temperatures.

I would plan on leaving from Davis rather early (probably around 7 or maybe 8 at the latest) to try and get a start on hiking around before it hits the high 90's.

Yes, I know this is somewhat last minute and it is a weekday, but, you never know.

metalhead357
08-30-2007, 4:38 PM
LOL! I WISH I COULD!

Wife would kill me right about now...I aint been tending to the honey do list in about a week and i DO want to make it out for deer in a couple more weeks......

Keep me in mind for future scouting trips....

Good luck:)

westcoastr
09-07-2007, 6:03 AM
I am planning on a pig and maybe deer trip on saturday likely in the same area. it requires a river swim....if you are up for it and can postpone we can compare notes pick the place

westcostr

sobiloff
09-29-2007, 5:25 PM
How was it, ohsmily--any luck?

How about you, westcoastr?

09-29-2007, 6:27 PM
I wish I'd seen your post earlier, I had Friday off. Maybe next time.

frigginchi
09-30-2007, 7:12 AM
Why scout? Bring a gun :)

pieeater
09-30-2007, 9:59 AM
I would plan on leaving from Davis rather early (probably around 7 or maybe 8 at the latest) to try and get a start on hiking around before it hits the high 90's.

Early?:D You want to be out walking before daylight. Also if I was scouting this time of year I would be checking water for sign.
It is so dry this time of year the hogs are really bunched up around water sources.Also oak trees, the acorns are starting to fall and if there are pigs around underneath the oaks will be tore up

Blacktail 8541
09-30-2007, 10:03 AM
I live out of Oroville, wish I had seen your post ealier. I know a lot of the area between my location and the coast.

metalhead357
09-30-2007, 7:37 PM
I live out of Oroville, wish I had seen your post ealier. I know a lot of the area between my location and the coast.

Oh PLEASE post some public spots!!!!!!!! I go nutts looking for them and "my" spots are now non huntable for pig.....and/or cant get nobody to head up north by cottonwood with me!!!!!!!!!!!

hitman13
09-30-2007, 10:23 PM
im moving to reddingbut dont know squat about hunting pigs. will a 44 mag suffice for them? any help would be helpful lol

metalhead357
10-01-2007, 4:46 AM
im moving to reddingbut dont know squat about hunting pigs. will a 44 mag suffice for them? any help would be helpful lol

Lots of threads just about that (pistols)...but yes: .44 will do the job; personally I'd go with 300 gr hardcast but you could still be more than ok with 240 gr JHP. Unless you absolutely know that the pigs you're hunting a LITTLE then I'd stay far awaay from 9mm, .40 and anything smaller than that: .357 is about the smallest *most* would say you're safe with.

westcoastr
10-05-2007, 9:16 AM
i'll be up the trinity alps deer hunting next week. if I fill my tag early i'll go pig hunting with you.

Oh PLEASE post some public spots!!!!!!!! I go nutts looking for them and "my" spots are now non huntable for pig.....and/or cant get nobody to head up north by cottonwood with me!!!!!!!!!!!

ivanimal
10-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I am off to X6A for the opener when I get back <insert hick drawl here>lets kill us some piggies!:p

sac1022
10-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Count me in nextime :yes:

metalhead357
10-09-2007, 4:38 PM
i'll be up the trinity alps deer hunting next week. if I fill my tag early i'll go pig hunting with you.

Now THATS funny- I JUST got back from there! And I DID fill one of My tags...at least for DEER that is:D