PDA

View Full Version : Gun scholar John Lott makes up a fan

Scarecrow Repair
08-29-2007, 2:03 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8884-2003Jan31

Mary Rosh thinks the world of John R. Lott Jr., the controversial American Enterprise Institute scholar whose book "More Guns, Less Crime" caused such a stir a few years ago.

In postings on Web sites in this country and abroad, Rosh has tirelessly defended Lott against his harshest critics. He is a meticulous researcher, she's repeatedly told those who say otherwise. He's not driven by the ideology of the left or the right. Rosh has even summoned memories of the classes she took from Lott a decade ago to illustrate Lott's probity and academic gifts.

"I have to say that he was the best professor I ever had," Rosh gushed in one Internet posting.

Indeed, Mary Rosh and John Lott agree about nearly everything.

Well they should, because Mary Rosh is John Lott -- or at least that's the pseudonym he's used for three years to defend himself against his critics in online debates, Lott acknowledged this week.

There's more. Good grief.

Librarian
08-29-2007, 2:08 PM
And the relevance of a 2003 article is....?

He screwed up; he admitted it; he deserves extra scrutiny.

DedEye
08-29-2007, 5:42 PM
Very, very old.

Interestingly though, I just looked him up for details about the fraud after a Canadian I was debating with brought him up.

Pthfndr
08-29-2007, 6:09 PM
Well, it would not be the first time someone has done that.

But does it make his research any less valid? I think not.

pnkssbtz
08-29-2007, 6:21 PM
Well, it would not be the first time someone has done that.

But does it make his research any less valid? I think not.

No, but it makes is integrity questionable. So you'd most likely want to verify the sources he is citing in his studies.

Scarecrow Repair
08-29-2007, 6:37 PM
And the relevance of a 2003 article is....?

He screwed up; he admitted it; he deserves extra scrutiny.

*I* didn't know it; I had only heard about the gun control author's fraud. I have forgotten that author's name, but his book was found to be sprinkled with fakiness in support of gun control.

So I figured that if I didn't know, maybe others didn't either, and it would be a real shame to get into an argument with a gun grabber and not know about his fraud or its ramifications. And in fact, that's exactly what DedEye says happened to him, unless I misread his post.

Librarian
08-29-2007, 7:05 PM
but probably haven't been on the academic side of the game or had the time to spend on it.

Life was a lot easier for Lott before he built a sock-puppet. At least he was getting only accusations of incompetence and agenda-driven research; adding 'Mary Rosh' has clouded his integrity.

He ably defended his research. The sock-puppetry, however, will follow him like a cigar follows Bill Clinton.

pnkssbtz
08-29-2007, 7:46 PM
but probably haven't been on the academic side of the game or had the time to spend on it.

Life was a lot easier for Lott before he built a sock-puppet. At least he was getting only accusations of incompetence and agenda-driven research; adding 'Mary Rosh' has clouded his integrity.

He ably defended his research. The sock-puppetry, however, will follow him like a cigar follows Bill Clinton.

OMG... you had me laughing out loud over this!

hoffmang
08-29-2007, 9:46 PM
The only issue that remains is that I'm a little uncomfortable about how he lost the data for his Defensive Gun Use study.

I wish he had been more careful.

-Gene

Sutcliffe
08-30-2007, 10:29 AM
His whole, Mary Rosh, thing is quite well documented and leads me to believe he lacks integrity. Also, losing some research data is the same thing that Michael Belleislise(spelling?) used when confronted about some of his conclusions in 'Arming of America'.
The whole RKBA movement needs to be carefull in how they endorse Lott.

Librarian
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
The only issue that remains is that I'm a little uncomfortable about how he lost the data for his Defensive Gun Use study.

I wish he had been more careful.

-GeneHere (http://johnrlott.tripod.com/surveysupport.html)'s what Lott says about that. One either finds him credible, or not; either way, it isn't a positive event.

jdberger
09-11-2007, 12:40 AM
*I* didn't know it; I had only heard about the gun control author's fraud. I have forgotten that author's name, but his book was found to be sprinkled with fakiness in support of gun control.

Michael Bellisiles who wrote "Arming America". (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=692421)