PDA

View Full Version : Washington State resident visits California

herbstrandberg
01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
I invited a visiting Washington State resident with his Glock 19 handgun to shoot with me at the Palm Springs Gun Club. I am a California resident that also owns a Glock 19. When he unpacked his gun, I discovered it has two 15 round magazine!!!! It is legal in Washington (he purchased the gun with two magazines a few months ago).

As a visitor to California, what are his rights with the 15 round magazine. Does e need to buy 10 round magazines for when he shoots in California, or is he grandfatherd in.

Today I went by two gun shops in the Palm Springs area and got different answers. First shop said that he was legal, but some officers might not know it and give him some trouble -- might be best to make a purchase of a 10 round magazine. Second shop said that by vacationing in California with his gun, that he illegally IMPORTED the magazines into California, and that they could be confiscated by the police. (I never thought that bringing a suitcase with used underwear and shirts was importing those items too!!!)

So what are his rights in California as a snowbird visitor who will be returning to Washington State in three months (with his gun and his two 15 round magazines)

Herb

tommyfly
01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
I believe he CAN NOT have em.
otherwise anyone could go accross state lines, buy a "hi cap mag" and come back and use it here.
He should dis-assemble them for the remainder of his vacation here in CA.

Even if it is legal, and i dont believe it is, its not worth the trouble if some LEO stumbles accross them and dosnt know the law.

im not well versed with these laws, but better safe then imprisoned

jaustin612
01-09-2013, 11:21 PM
If he owned them prior to 2000 or whatever exact date that Kali did the ban he is good. If he got them later, then he isn't. doesnt matter if he's coming from out of state or not.

playing it really legal he should get some 10 rounders.

nothinghere2c
01-09-2013, 11:21 PM
just loan him one of your 10 rounders and pull the floorplates off his normal capacity mags while hes in cali

nothinghere2c
01-09-2013, 11:23 PM
If he owned them prior to 2000 or whatever exact date that Kali did the ban he is good. If he got them later, then he isn't. doesnt matter if he's coming from out of state or not.

he would have had to live in cali when the ban was put in place for him to get his mags grandfathered in from my understanding. it doesn't count if he lived in another state.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

Nor*Cal
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
just loan him one of your 10 rounders and pull the floorplates off his normal capacity mags while hes in cali

This ^^

Make sure he take those magazines apart. The second gun shop gave you the correct info and he is breaking CA law. He will need to keep those magazines as "parts" until he is out of CA. He can then reassemble his magazines.

Librarian
01-09-2013, 11:35 PM
As a visitor to California, what are his rights with the 15 round magazine. Does e need to buy 10 round magazines for when he shoots in California, or is he grandfatherd in.

Second shop said that by vacationing in California with his gun, that he illegally IMPORTED the magazines into California, and that they could be confiscated by the police.

As noted, second shop was right.

Could also get a year - or more! - in jail for each one - PC 32310 ... punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or
in the state prison.

Decoligny
01-10-2013, 12:04 AM
he would have had to live in cali when the ban was put in place for him to get his mags grandfathered in from my understanding. it doesn't count if he lived in another state.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

All he would have had to do was possess the magazines while in California at any time before 1 Jan 2000 for him to be able to legally bring them back into the state. There is no requirement that he had to have been a California resident. Just gisiting for 10 minutes with the magazines in hand prior to the ban would suffice.

nothinghere2c
01-10-2013, 8:55 AM
All he would have had to do was possess the magazines while in California at any time before 1 Jan 2000 for him to be able to legally bring them back into the state. There is no requirement that he had to have been a California resident. Just gisiting for 10 minutes with the magazines in hand prior to the ban would suffice.

good to know thanks!

paul0660
01-10-2013, 8:58 AM
Tell your free state buddy to check the rules when he travels.

I did, on my summer trip to Washington, and found that although my Utah LTC is fine up there, I cannot carry on school grounds as I can in California, with my California LTC. That turned out to be a pain.

He would, of course, not be one of those hapless people who get busted at LaGuardia, I hope.

sixtringr
01-10-2013, 4:35 PM
Did he laugh at us Kalified poor saps, or did he just borrow one of your low caps?

mikestesting
01-10-2013, 5:01 PM

Please don't listen to this person. There's no difference between legal and 'really legal'. It's either legal or illegal.

I'm assuming this friend has never lived in CA. That assumption being correct, bringing those magazines (fully assembled) across the state border into CA is illegal.