PDA

View Full Version : SCPRC Rifle Clinic Information - 09-08-07

Pages : [1] 2

Timberwolf
08-28-2007, 11:03 PM
A few people have asked for a seperate thread regarding the upcoming shooting clinic in Tehachapi as the information is buried in theoriginal thread.

The “clinic” will be basically a Prec Rifle I type class with a little bit of Prec II thrown in.

We will briefly cover basic marksmanship skills including the four basic positions and the usage of a sling with transitions of the basic positions into field variant positions.

There will be instruction on ballistics and ranging using the mil-dot system or equivalent since some have variant type reticles, as well as discussions regarding equipment, ranging from setting up a precision rifle to the various types of equipment used in the field and/or competitions.

I will have examples of various types of equipment as well as several handouts.

The clinic will start between 0800 and 0830 and run until approximately mid afternoon depending on how long we break for lunch.

The first 30 to 45 minutes of the class will be on the range so that all can check their zero and I have a chance to observe each shooter. After all have confirmed or obtained their zero we will break into a combination of discussion and demonstration of the various topics after which we will hit the range for various drills ( including UKD ) and exercises designed to test and apply what was learned during the discussions. During the range time I will be giving both group and indivual instruction as warranted. We will of course be breaking for luch sometime during these sessions.

As far as equipment, the following is a list of suggested equipment:

1. Rifle & Optics – Scoped Rifle capable of 1 MOA accuracy or better. The scope should have a mil-dot or comparable reticle. It is not necessary that the rifle be zeroed, as that will be the first exercise of the day.
2. Ammo – 100 rounds of match grade commercial ammo or reloads. If possible know the velocity of your ammo before hand and try to make a print of a ballistics chart with your ammo.
3. Sling – your rifle should be equipped with a sling that can be used in shooting positions.
4. Bi-Pod – front bi-pod from your rifle. I suggest a Harris swivel type with notched leg either 6-9” or 9-12” depending on your rifle and how low or high your prone position is.
5. Rear Bean Bag or monopod for rifle – rear beanbag is preferable during this class.
6. **No bench rest style front rests or “bunny ear” type rear rests** this clinic is about precision / tactical shooting – not F-class
7. Log Book and pen - I suggest and use the type we discussed in the other thread as we will be discussing preparing range cards etc., however if you cannot get one you can use a small spiral note book as long as you take and keep accurate notes of your shooting sessions for future reference and transference into a logbook at a later time.
8. Plain notebook and pen – for taking notes
9. Mil-Dot Master or calculator
10. ACI, or slope doper to use in determining the angle of your rifle when taking a shot up or downhill. If you don’t have either that’s fine bring a basic protractor about a foot or so of fishing line and a small slip shot weight and I’ll show you how to make a poor man’s slope doper.
11. Bipod, Ruck, etc to carry your gear

Of course eye and ear protection will be required. I would also suggest everyone use NRA chamber flags so that there is no question while walking around that a weapon is clear and safe. I have three or four spares if needed. They can be gotten from the NRA or places like Champions.

Optional gear:

Elbow and knee pads – I do not recommend the hard shell type, especially in the elbow pads.

Shooting mat – they’re nice and you can get a simple on or a carry everything one – I use and old bath mat.

Blast pad – those of you that shot in my last match now know what a blast signature is – I have no reason to believe Tehachapi will be any different as far as dry dusty conditions – an old hand towel or piece of tarp is sufficient and can be easily rolled up and attached to your pack.

PDA or 5.11 watch with ballistics software.

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:13 PM
A few people have asked for a seperate thread regarding the upcoming shooting clinic in Tehachapi as the information is buried in theoriginal thread.

The “clinic” will be basically a Prec Rifle I type class with a little bit of Prec II thrown in.

We will briefly cover basic marksmanship skills including the four basic positions and the usage of a sling with transitions of the basic positions into field variant positions.

There will be instruction on ballistics and ranging using the mil-dot system or equivalent since some have variant type reticles, as well as discussions regarding equipment, ranging from setting up a precision rifle to the various types of equipment used in the field and/or competitions.

I will have examples of various types of equipment as well as several handouts.

The clinic will start between 0800 and 0830 and run until approximately mid afternoon depending on how long we break for lunch.

The first 30 to 45 minutes of the class will be on the range so that all can check their zero and I have a chance to observe each shooter. After all have confirmed or obtained their zero we will break into a combination of discussion and demonstration of the various topics after which we will hit the range for various drills ( including UKD ) and exercises designed to test and apply what was learned during the discussions. During the range time I will be giving both group and indivual instruction as warranted. We will of course be breaking for luch sometime during these sessions.

As far as equipment, the following is a list of suggested equipment:

1. Rifle & Optics – Scoped Rifle capable of 1 MOA accuracy or better. The scope should have a mil-dot or comparable reticle. It is not necessary that the rifle be zeroed, as that will be the first exercise of the day.
2. Ammo – 100 rounds of match grade commercial ammo or reloads. If possible know the velocity of your ammo before hand and try to make a print of a ballistics chart with your ammo.
3. Sling – your rifle should be equipped with a sling that can be used in shooting positions.
4. Bi-Pod – front bi-pod from your rifle. I suggest a Harris swivel type with notched leg either 6-9” or 9-12” depending on your rifle and how low or high your prone position is.
5. Rear Bean Bag or monopod for rifle – rear beanbag is preferable during this class.
6. **No bench rest style front rests or “bunny ear” type rear rests** this clinic is about precision / tactical shooting – not F-class
7. Log Book and pen - I suggest and use the type we discussed in the other thread as we will be discussing preparing range cards etc., however if you cannot get one you can use a small spiral note book as long as you take and keep accurate notes of your shooting sessions for future reference and transference into a logbook at a later time.
8. Plain notebook and pen – for taking notes
9. Mil-Dot Master or calculator
10. ACI, or slope doper to use in determining the angle of your rifle when taking a shot up or downhill. If you don’t have either that’s fine bring a basic protractor about a foot or so of fishing line and a small slip shot weight and I’ll show you how to make a poor man’s slope doper.
11. Bipod, Ruck, etc to carry your gear

Of course eye and ear protection will be required. I would also suggest everyone use NRA chamber flags so that there is no question while walking around that a weapon is clear and safe. I have three or four spares if needed. They can be gotten from the NRA or places like Champions.

Optional gear:

Elbow and knee pads – I do not recommend the hard shell type, especially in the elbow pads.

Shooting mat – they’re nice and you can get a simple on or a carry everything one – I use and old bath mat.

Blast pad – those of you that shot in my last match now know what a blast signature is – I have no reason to believe Tehachapi will be any different as far as dry dusty conditions – an old hand towel or piece of tarp is sufficient and can be easily rolled up and attached to your pack.

PDA or 5.11 watch with ballistics software.

i feel like the bunny ear rear bag was aimed at me. i like my rear bag though. :(

guess i'll go with the old sock and rice bag trick.

wildcard
08-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Haha.. thats what you get for bringing benchrest bags to a precision/ tactical match! :)

I'll be there with most of the recommended gear. Looks like I gotta get reloading and bust out some new brass.

Speaking of rice socks.. i'm gonna go tactical and make one out of a black dress sock! Fancy and tactical!

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Haha.. thats what you get for bringing benchrest bags to a precision/ tactical match! :)

I'll be there with most of the recommended gear. Looks like I gotta get reloading and bust out some new brass.

funny thing lately, all i can think about is shooting. when i drive, when i eat, when i work, even when i have sex.

i think im obsessed.

i'm still going to use the rear bench rest bag at the matches till timber outlaws it.

wildcard
08-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Dude.. and I though I was obsessed.. you're hard core. If I start giggling next time I see your wife.. you know why.

Hahaha.. thats some funny stuff. That trigger come in yet?

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
oh one more thing guys, everyone will have to sign a waiver before shooting. this is a mandatory for everyone coming. please act like your at your local range and always keep safety in mind.

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Dude.. and I though I was obsessed.. you're hard core. If I start giggling next time I see your wife.. you know why.

Hahaha.. thats some funny stuff. That trigger come in yet?

came in saturday! it's just sitting on my desk right now. mayby you can help me put in on the day of the shoot.

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:30 PM

Speaking of rice socks.. i'm gonna go tactical and make one out of a black dress sock! Fancy and tactical!

shoot, you can make it look really nice and sell them off to people.

Jicko
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Can someone have their gf make EVERYONE of us a "souvenir rice-sock".... :D

PS. too bad this is a precision rifle clinic wkend.... or else, a short course on tactical assault rifle "stage" would be nice... heh hee hee (asking for too much)..... 3-guns style tactical rifle stage that you have to RUN thru it with a M4 style rifle... :D

Prc329
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
http://triadtactical.com/?mainURL=%2Fstore%2Fitem%2Fvk7m%2FMISC_Shooting_Ge ar%2FRedMan_Rear_Bag_Woodland_MARPAT.html%3Fitem_i d%3Dvk7m

I was looking at one of these for a long time. I just found an excuse to buy one. Now I gotta order that pack :D

wildcard
08-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Or you can bring yourself over since you're in the area at least three times a week and we won't have to rush! Plus you can check out my new crib and "armory."

Prc329
08-28-2007, 11:33 PM

PS. too bad this is a precision rifle clinic wkend.... or else, a short course on tactical assault rifle "stage" would be nice... heh hee hee (asking for too much)..... 3-guns style tactical rifle stage that you have to RUN thru it with a M4 style rifle... :D

I was thinking that would be cool. Maybe next meet we can get Randall or anyone else heavy in to competing 3 gun to come out and do a 3-gun clinic :D

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:35 PM
ask them if the have a triad logo. i just stick it on my bunny ear bag, and timber might think it's a "precision" bag. j/k

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Or you can bring yourself over since you're in the area at least three times a week and we won't have to rush! Plus you can check out my new crib and "armory."

that's sounds nice. i'll give you a call later.

wildcard
08-28-2007, 11:38 PM

She's do it.. but i'd be out of socks. Plus it would be weird to see a bunch of guys squeezing my old socks :D

Hey Pete.. can we gamble at the ranch? First to hit a target at a unknown distance (approx 800 yds) gets the pot! I'd buy in on that one!

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:40 PM
I was thinking that would be cool. Maybe next meet we can get Randall or anyone else heavy in to competing 3 gun to come out and do a 3-gun clinic :D

sorry nayt, that sounds a little dangerous. i haven't shot with everyone to know if they are safe to shoot with yet.

PistolPete75
08-28-2007, 11:42 PM
She's do it.. but i'd be out of socks. Plus it would be weird to see a bunch of guys squeezing my old socks :D

Hey Pete.. can we gamble at the ranch? First to hit a target at a unknown distance (approx 800 yds) gets the pot! I'd buy in on that one!

you mean like in golf, playing rounds right? that's fine, but it should be by rounds so it's fair for everyone or the person that doesn't hit it pays up.

Prc329
08-28-2007, 11:45 PM
sorry nayt, that sounds a little dangerous. i haven't shot with everyone to know if they are safe to shoot with yet.

Something like that I was thinking Burro tact ranges. That would be a little to dangerous for your ranch. Did not mean to imply doing it at your pops ranch.

Jicko
08-28-2007, 11:53 PM

Just go to big5 or target to get some 'tactical' socks.... (OD or tan color)...small contribution to your fellow CG-buddies...... and then sew a "triad" or "eagle" logo onto it....

PistolPete75
08-29-2007, 12:12 AM
good night guys...i'm tired. talk to you guys laters.

Mute
08-29-2007, 7:47 AM
Quick fyi. The Mildot Master comes with a slope doping chart. Everyone have a great time.

rksimple
08-29-2007, 9:12 AM
http://triadtactical.com/?mainURL=%2Fstore%2Fitem%2Fvk7m%2FMISC_Shooting_Ge ar%2FRedMan_Rear_Bag_Woodland_MARPAT.html%3Fitem_i d%3Dvk7m

I was looking at one of these for a long time. I just found an excuse to buy one. Now I gotta order that pack :D

I've been using one of these for a while now. They're great. I have used the sand sock in the past, and while cheap and field expedient, that bag is more rigid and can be flipped up on its end to get a little more height for downhill shots and the like. I recommend it.

Timberwolf
08-29-2007, 9:38 AM
You guys are a trip - reading this thread has been a good way to enjoy my coffee though I do have some on my screen now.

Anyway - Pete the "bunny ear" was not made directly at you LOL . . . but seeing those things at the last match did remind me of it. Personally I normally use my hand for field shooting, lots more control and faster on the move.

Anyway I believe this is going to be a blast and I hope all come away with a little more knowledge than they started with.

proraptor
08-29-2007, 9:47 AM
I'm not going to lie....I am a little broke and most liky won't have a mildot master and maybe a couple other things...will I still be ok?

anyone know where to get free ballistic software for a treo 700wx?

Rhys898
08-29-2007, 9:55 AM
heres some ballistic software, its not as good as some of the pay ones but its better than a kick in the nuts.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/calculator/pocketssf(sharpshooterfriend).shtml

Jer :)

****, sorry, your using the windows one. I dont know of any freebies for the windows mobile platform.

Found a free 30 day trial for you. http://www.precisionworkbench.com/ If you like it its 150 bucks to buy it.

Prc329
08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Damn, it's palm and not windows mobile.

proraptor
08-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I wish they would make one for windows mobile....

Timberwolf
08-29-2007, 10:26 AM
If you don't have a Mil Dot master that's fine . . . just bring a small cheap calc. and if your don't have a slope doper or ACI - get a cheap protrator and some fishing line and sinker and we'll take it from there.

If you don't have some of the equipment that's fine we'll work around it.

proraptor
08-29-2007, 10:28 AM
cool thanks timberwolf.....

hey if us window mobile guys bought the $150 could we put it on mulyiple phones? we could split the cost

Rhys898
08-29-2007, 10:40 AM
From the description of the process for activation after the 30 days are up I doubt it. The desktop software and pda software are linked through the activesync.

Jer

proraptor
08-29-2007, 10:48 AM
damnit.....why are those programs such a rip off?

theEpiphany
08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Gotta start cracking to get everything together...

I shot with Wildcard this past weekend...at 100/200 yards...he expressed some concern with my scope and it's shortcomings as far as "quick adjustments" go.

I do have a Leupold VX-III scope which doesn't have a Mildot reticle. I'll eventually be purchasing a Tactical Scope, Is this going to be much of a problem?

I've sort of skimmed this thread so far to try and catch up...Is there anything for Blackberrys as far as Ballistics Software goes?

Prc329
08-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Not having a mildot would cause some issues with ranging. You would have to get with timberwolf to be sure but it sounds like a good portion of the class will be mildot ranging.

PistolPete75
08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm not going to lie....I am a little broke and most liky won't have a mildot master and maybe a couple other things...will I still be ok?

anyone know where to get free ballistic software for a treo 700wx?

you can share with me.

PistolPete75
08-29-2007, 12:53 PM

I shot with Wildcard this past weekend...at 100/200 yards...he expressed some concern with my scope and it's shortcomings as far as "quick adjustments" go.

I do have a Leupold VX-III scope which doesn't have a Mildot reticle. I'll eventually be purchasing a Tactical Scope, Is this going to be much of a problem?

I've sort of skimmed this thread so far to try and catch up...Is there anything for Blackberrys as far as Ballistics Software goes?

ya wildcard got me into precision shooting. he is a great shooter!

go to http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/software/software.html

they have free software as well as the pocket pc software.

Jicko
08-29-2007, 1:08 PM

I'll bring my chrono.

But I think a printed "ballistic card" is ok, as long as you know the muzzle velocity of your ammo.

I think a pair of target knobs will help ur VX3 to be more "tactical" friendly. Mil-dot is great, but a pair of knobs will help greatly. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=899510&t=11082005

Timberwolf
08-29-2007, 1:18 PM
I will be instructing on ranging with mil-dots or "milling" and then we will have a couple of excercises doing it. If your scope doesn't have a mil-dot or other type of ranging reticle thats fine - during the excercise you can use my rifle - or I may take my scope off my back up rifle and just let it be used.

PistolPete75
08-29-2007, 2:03 PM
i'm bringing my new 5.11 watch, so you guys are welcome in using it.

theEpiphany
08-29-2007, 3:07 PM
i'm bringing my new 5.11 watch, so you guys are welcome in using it.

Just looked them up....I want one! I need a new watch anyway...add that to the list of things I'd like to purchase.

wildcard
08-29-2007, 5:58 PM
I think a pair of target knobs will help ur VX3 to be more "tactical" friendly. Mil-dot is great, but a pair of knobs will help greatly. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=899510&t=11082005

Unfortunately, these will not work with theEpiphany's scope. His scope does NOT have the coin slots on the knobs for proper installation if I recall correctly.

wildcard
08-29-2007, 6:06 PM
ya wildcard got me into precision shooting. he is a great shooter!

go to http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/software/software.html

they have free software as well as the pocket pc software.

Haha. Thanks, but I think I still have plenty to learn. I, like yourself, have come a long way since I started truly started precision shooting. This was maybe a year ago when Big Jon got me into reloading to make shooting more affordable :D Before that I was shooting factory Federal Gold Medal Match which really limited the number of rounds I put downrange There's a real big difference between knowing formulas and concepts, and being able to apply them. I still pick up tips here and there from other shooters like Timberwolf. There's simply some things you have to be told how to do as you would otherwise not find out how to do it from a book! For example.. I just learned side prone at the last APS match. Sure I did the physics in my head to figure out how to hit the target.. but I had otherwise never heard or read about side prone!

Timberwolf
08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah you guys cooked my goose on the side prone stage. Bob and I thought sure we'd get to sit back and giggle at everyone shooting to either side of the 8" target while wondering why . . . y'all went hyperspeed on us once you brainiacs figured out the basics. . . LOL . . . that's OK we have more tricks up our collective sleeves LOL

PistolPete75
08-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah you guys cooked my goose on the side prone stage. Bob and I thought sure we'd get to sit back and giggle at everyone shooting to either side of the 8" target while wondering why . . . y'all went hyperspeed on us once you brainiacs figured out the basics. . . LOL . . . that's OK we have more tricks up our collective sleeves LOL

it was wildcard who figured it out first, and then told me cause i was the #2 shooter. i was soooo happy when i shot it on my first shot, that when the first guy asked me how i shot it, i blabbed shoot 10 o clock. next time, i'm gonna keep my big mouth shut.

PistolPete75
08-29-2007, 11:01 PM
btw, to all confirmed shooters. i will be pming to all confirmed shooters by monday night for directions to the ranch. please register with proraptor as soon as you can. again, everyone needs to sign a waiver before shooting and please keep safety in mind at all times.

proraptor
08-30-2007, 8:40 AM
the list is current....if you want to get in on this you better let me know

everyone list the load you will be shooting...I'm still trying to figure out what I want to load up for this

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 8:58 AM
i'm shooting 2.830 oal 42.5gr of 4064, cci benchrest primer, with nosler or lupua brass trimed at 2.05. i just got 200 of them loaded. thinking of doing more, but i don't have any more brass. broke a new personal record, took me a total of 8-9 hours to have them all loaded up. 168gr Noslers

my velocity is 2613fps.

Prc329
08-30-2007, 9:12 AM
I'm most likely shooting 175g SMKs OAL 2.8 (I plan on mag feeding a little) with 41.5g of IMR4895. I am getting around 2650 to 2700 fps fro this load. I need to check it again since I had the muzzle brake installed. I am testing my 223 load saturday. I am loading 69g SMKs and some 77s to try out. The 69s will be running 26.5g of N540 most likely. I am also loading some 168g for my M14 and if the 75g Wolf gold perform well saturday in my Savage I will bring some of that.

I plan on bringing some clays if it is o.k. with you Pete. I figured we could set them out and use them as targets.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 9:16 AM
I'm most likely shooting 175g SMKs OAL 2.8 (I plan on mag feeding a little) with 41.5g of IMR4895. I am getting around 2650 to 2700 fps fro this load. I need to check it again since I had the muzzle brake installed. I am testing my 223 load saturday. I am loading 69g SMKs and some 77s to try out. The 69s will be running 26.5g of N540 most likely. I am also loading some 168g for my M14 and if the 75g Wolf gold perform well saturday in my Savage I will bring some of that.

I plan on bringing some clays if it is o.k. with you Pete. I figured we could set them out and use them as targets.

get the biodegradable clays. i have no problem with those.

Prc329
08-30-2007, 9:21 AM
get the biodegradable clays. i have no problem with those.

http://whiteflyer.com/targetbio.html

The ones that I usually get from Wal-mart or Turners I believe are these.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 9:29 AM
http://whiteflyer.com/targetbio.html

The ones that I usually get from Wal-mart or Turners I believe are these.

perfect. also fruits are all good too since they are biodegradable. all fruits are good to go!

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 9:35 AM
another load i learned which is less temperature sensitive is 42.8grains of RL15, federal 210m primers/ cci benchrest, shooting 168gr hpbt (smk or nosler cc)

Prc329
08-30-2007, 9:53 AM
I was thinking that load for my M14 (will powder at least) but not sure I want to but a 4th powder. I'm going to probably use the rest of the 4895 I use then try something else.

proraptor
08-30-2007, 9:57 AM
I just loaded a bunch of nosler 125 ballistic tips to see how they do....should be devastating on a yote if we see one...

wildcard
08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
42.4 gr of IMR 4064 sitting behind a 168 gr SMK is what I normally shoot.. but seeing that i'm running low on SMKs and have a healthy stash of 168 gr Nosler CCs.. i'll probably load up 60+ of each and try to shoot sparingly :(

Anybody tried these two bullets? Any chage in POI with everything else the same? Their BC is advertised as the same.. but i'm a fan of empirical proof. Worst comes to worse.. I'll find out on that day!

Need more free time to reload and hit up the range! This weekend will be one of those very few weekends I won't get to shoot.. so sad..

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
42.4 gr of IMR 4064 sitting behind a 168 gr SMK is what I normally shoot.. but seeing that i'm running low on SMKs and have a healthy stash of 168 gr Nosler CCs.. i'll probably load up 60+ of each and try to shoot sparingly :(

Anybody tried these two bullets? Any chage in POI with everything else the same? Their BC is advertised as the same.. but i'm a fan of empirical proof. Worst comes to worse.. I'll find out on that day!

Need more free time to reload and hit up the range! This weekend will be one of those very few weekends I won't get to shoot.. so sad..

hey jason, i have two hundred 168gr smk. pm me

rksimple
08-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Should be about the same. Differences in jacket thickness could make a difference in POI. With the prices of SMK's now, I'd be buying Noslers all the time.

Proraptor, I'm using 155 Scenars with 44.5 gr Varget for about 2850 fps. A little better BC than the 175 SMK and a lot faster. Shoots lights out when the nut behind the trigger is workin':D

wildcard
08-30-2007, 10:49 AM
hey jason, i have two hundred 168gr smk. pm me

If you want to sell it to me, I'll say "I'll take it" before you even give me a price. We'll make the trade at the shoot/ clinic.

By "running low" I meant I only have about 400 left :D

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
If you want to sell it to me, I'll say "I'll take it" before you even give me a price. We'll make the trade at the shoot/ clinic.

By "running low" I meant I only have about 400 left :D

you can have my 200 pieces. i won't take any money from you. on one condition, load up a hell and shoot em at the ranch shoot! ain't no fun if you don't shoot alot.

Timberwolf
08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
I'll probably bring up about 100 - my standard load is Win case, WLR, 43.7 RE15, 175 SMK at 2715 FPS but I've been playing with AMAXs lately so may bring up the same load with those to see how they do. I have to work on the 9th at APS so I'll only be there on Sat and with the clinic I don't know how much actual shooting I'll do.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
I'll probably bring up about 100 - my standard load is Win case, WLR, 43.7 RE15, 175 SMK at 2715 FPS but I've been playing with AMAXs lately so may bring up the same load with those to see how they do. I have to work on the 9th at APS so I'll only be there on Sat and with the clinic I don't know how much actual shooting I'll do.

make sure you shoot alot. i'm sure we can help each other out too.

proraptor
08-30-2007, 11:26 AM
ill be bringing all kinds of loads to the ranch...

I have

178 amaxs
155 silver scenars
167 silver scenars
180 vld's
125 nosler ballistic tips

those are to try...I just need one specific load to use for the shoot....its probably going to come down to what fowlers has in....I can't wait to try out those 125 noslers.....the 150's shot awesome...

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 11:27 AM
ill be bringing all kinds of loads to the ranch...

I have

178 amaxs
155 silver scenars
167 silver scenars
180 vld's
125 nosler ballistic tips

those are to try...I just need one specific load to use for the shoot....its probably going to come down to what fowlers has in....I can't wait to try out those 125 noslers.....the 150's shot awesome...

it's alot easier to shoot long distance with 1 type of load. it might be fustrating to shoot many types of load with different velocities, bc, etc. i went though alot of headache with different loads. that's why i'm sticking to just 1 know.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 11:38 AM
don't worry proraptor. if this shoot goes well, i'll be hosting alot more in the future to test all your loads out. my only concern is safety that's it, and of course everyone has alot of fun!

wildcard
08-30-2007, 11:42 AM
you can have my 200 pieces. i won't take any money from you. on one condition, load up a hell and shoot em at the ranch shoot! ain't no fun if you don't shoot alot.

Well that is certainly a most generous offer.. can't say no to that! At least let me give you 250 Nosler CC for it :) Heck.. I'd give you 500 but I need to satify my curiosity as to how it shoots compared to SMK.

Dude.. I still need to process the rabbits feet from the first time we varminted at the ranch.. they've been sitting in my freezer. I think I'll take care of that before the shoot.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Well that is certainly a most generous offer.. can't say no to that! At least let me give you 250 Nosler CC for it :) Heck.. I'd give you 500 but I need to satify my curiosity as to how it shoots compared to SMK.

Dude.. I still need to process the rabbits feet from the first time we varminted at the ranch.. they've been sitting in my freezer. I think I'll take care of that before the shoot.

no you've turned out to be a good friend. you don't really get to meet guys you can trust when you get older. i don't want anything for it. no worries.

Prc329
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
it's alot easier to shoot long distance with 1 type of load. it might be fustrating to shoot many types of load with different velocities, bc, etc. i went though alot of headache with different loads. that's why i'm sticking to just 1 know.

I am loving the 175s in my gun. I really can't get the hang of the 155s. I think since I load them a bit hot the tend to make me pull one. my 175 load is good for 1/2 MOA and pretty consistent to 600 yards so far.

theEpiphany
08-30-2007, 1:15 PM
I'll be shooting 40.0 H335 168 Grain SMK. Targets I'm still deciding on...Will have to see if my clays are biodegradable.

Prc329
08-30-2007, 1:46 PM
I'll be shooting 40.0 H335 168 Grain SMK. Targets I'm still deciding on...Will have to see if my clays are biodegradable.

What kind of velocities are you getting? What type of gun?

wildcard
08-30-2007, 1:55 PM
What kind of velocities are you getting? What type of gun?

If he doesn't mind me answering for him.. I believe it was a Savage 10FP. Didn't have a chrono with me that day (though he may have measureed the speed at another time) but I 'm guessing they were moving on the slower side since the bullet was dropping ~6"+ from 100 to 200 yds. The groupings were tight though. Some were easily .5" CTC at 100 yds.

Prc329
08-30-2007, 1:59 PM
I figured they may have been moving slow since sierra shows a max load with H335 being on the slow side.

theEpiphany
08-30-2007, 2:40 PM
If he doesn't mind me answering for him.. I believe it was a Savage 10FP. Didn't have a chrono with me that day (though he may have measureed the speed at another time) but I 'm guessing they were moving on the slower side since the bullet was dropping ~6"+ from 100 to 200 yds. The groupings were tight though. Some were easily .5" CTC at 100 yds.

My rifle is a completely stock Savage 10fp with a Leupold VXIII scope. looking into a new stock and scope.

The drop on the bullets after doing some measuring was about 4 - 4.5 inches out to 200 yards..HOWEVER, the loads we were shooting were H380 not H335. I was out of H335 loads by the time we went out to 200. I'm betting I can get tighter groups with the H335 powder at 200 yards since you saw the grouping differences in the 2 powders (like night and day). If I can get to the range, I'll see if I can put some H335 out to 200 and see what results.

Didn't you say your 4064 loads were dropping a bit further than usual at 200 Wildcard?

Thanks again for an awesome time. Getting better by the hour. That group of 5, .5 moa at 100 yards was easily the best I've shot so far. I've only shot my rifle about 6 times now...Still have a LOOOOONGGGG way to go.

wildcard
08-30-2007, 2:55 PM
Yeah.. mines were dropping just at about 4" (required 2 MOA adjustment instead of the usual 1.75 in warmer climates). Did yours only drop 4" - 4.5"? I thought it was more than that because you were hitting almost the bottom of the paper when aiming for the top of the target picture (not top edge of the paper) Well.. you'd know best since you measured it with a instrument instead of eyeballing it. Plus you have the actual target! We should have used a taget with the 1" grids on them..

And for those that are wondering why we were measuring bullet drops.. its because we were shooting using a holdover in the absence of a scope w/ target knobs.

Just read your edits.. I forgot that you weren't using the same load when we moved out to 200 yds. doh..

theEpiphany
08-30-2007, 3:02 PM
I was holding over to the top edge of the paper...which was putting a 2 inch group at around the middle of the page...standard dimensions of a sheet are 8.5x11 so I took out a ruler and did some measurements...I'll post the drop when I get home as I have them written down there...

wildcard
08-30-2007, 3:10 PM
Wouldn't really count since you used a different load when we took it out to 200 yds. But now you've settled on a load.. you can measure it and know your holdovers for varying distances!

Or you can wait till you get your new scope because you'll have to do it all over again which is no big deal.

Of course a lot of people use the ballistic calculators so you can go that route too. In which case you can continue to shoot and chrono your loads so your data with be ready when your scope comes in!

At the very least.. you can just keep practicing at 100 yds.. try prone and off-hand!

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 3:31 PM
man, man it is hot as hell out here in the valley 109degrees. i'm getting worried it might be real hot at the day of the shoot. hopefully someone has some canopies to bring.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 3:33 PM
Wouldn't really count since you used a different load when we took it out to 200 yds. But now you've settled on a load.. you can measure it and know your holdovers for varying distances!

Or you can wait till you get your new scope because you'll have to do it all over again which is no big deal.

Of course a lot of people use the ballistic calculators so you can go that route too. In which case you can continue to shoot and chrono your loads so your data with be ready when your scope comes in!

At the very least.. you can just keep practicing at 100 yds.. try prone and off-hand!

yep, got my chrono in today and i got my range finder in yesterday!

wildcard
08-30-2007, 3:43 PM
yep, got my chrono in today and i got my range finder in yesterday!

So how much you spend on gear this month alone? :) Dude.. I've had my chrono and I haven't even used it yet.

You know what sucks? Neither of us can shoot this weekend! I think I'm starting to go through shooting withdrawal.. at least i get to buy my new piece this weekend!

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 3:52 PM
So how much you spend on gear this month alone? :) Dude.. I've had my chrono and I haven't even used it yet.

You know what sucks? Neither of us can shoot this weekend! I think I'm starting to go through shooting withdrawal.. at least i get to buy my new piece this weekend!

this is by far the most damage i've done in one month. if you count all the gear plus the rifle and new scope i'm going to buy probably around $6,500. don't tell my wife though, she would trip. business has been pretty good lately, and i have a few other toys and an old car that i could sell off so no worries. BUT, i really got to calm down now.

i have enough gear for the both of us to shoot up to 1200yards for you, and 1000yards for me since you are getting that new .300winmag

ya, i want to use the chrono to tailor up the rl15 loads.

NO MORE RIFLES FOR ME. I DON'T NEED ANYMORE.

i will probably need some more reloading stuff, since i plan to shoot like crazy over the next year. i'm waiting for nosler to have another special on the 168gr, and i want to get the 175smk when i find a good deal.

Rhys898
08-30-2007, 3:56 PM
Vaillarta (sp?) has some 10x10 canopies for 19.99 in blue or green as part of their labor day sale, they are probably semi disposable at that price but better than nothing.

And as to the weather the day of the clinic, Weather.com claims its gunna be 82 :cool2: which would be sweet.

Jer

PS I spent close to $300 :eek:

wildcard
08-30-2007, 3:58 PM
this is by far the most damage i've done in one month. if you count all the gear plus the rifle and new scope i'm going to buy probably around $6,500. don't tell my wife though, she would trip. business has been pretty good lately, and i have a few other toys and an old car that i could sell off so no worries. BUT, i really got to calm down now.

i have enough gear for the both of us to shoot up to 1200yards for you, and 1000yards for me since you are getting that new .300winmag

ya, i want to use the chrono to tailor up the rl15 loads.

I am definitely in the wrong line of work.. but government work has its perks! Plus you can't beat 3 day weekends :)

I probably won't finish my 300 Win Mag until the end of the year. I'll do that before completing my 6.5 Grendel project.

Plenty of fun still to be had with the .308. Affordable practice!

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 4:00 PM
Vaillarta (sp?) has some 10x10 canopies for 19.99 in blue or green as part of their labor day sale, they are probably semi disposable at that price but better than nothing.

And as to the weather the day of the clinic, Weather.com claims its gunna be 82 :cool2: which would be sweet.

Jer

PS I spent close to $300 :eek:

i sure hope so. 83degrees out there would be realllllll nice.

wildcard
08-30-2007, 4:01 PM
Peter- I have two boxes (100 ct each) of 175 gr SMK I have no intention of using. They're yours :)

Since you're a IMR 4064 user.. 42.2 gr behind the 175 SMK seems to be the gold standard.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 4:03 PM
I am definitely in the wrong line of work.. but government work has its perks! Plus you can't beat 3 day weekends :)

I probably won't finish my 300 Win Mag until the end of the year. I'll do that before completing my 6.5 Grendel project.

Plenty of fun still to be had with the .308. Affordable practice!

that's what i'm talking about the .308

great accuracy, tons of aftermarket stuff, and affordable.

Also, you have a great job. I have to hussle for a living. You just chill and relax all the time. But, if you want I can definitely hook you up with what I'm doing. It'll be real easy for you to pick up I think. You can do appraisals, and use the $$$$ for your gun hobby.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 4:04 PM
Peter- I have two boxes (100 ct each) of 175 gr SMK I have no intention of using. They're yours :)

Since you're a IMR 4064 user.. 42.2 gr behind the 175 SMK seems to be the gold standard.

dude, hook it up. I'll reload em all up, and we'll shoot it all up together!

Jicko
08-30-2007, 7:36 PM
I m really worrying about the ammo that I am reloading, since I am still getting inconsistant seating depth.

So, either I can get one of you to help me load some up and/or I'm going buy some Lapua ammo from Grafs as backup.

Timber: Now, which ONE I should get?

LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 150gr SP MEGA 20/bx 30/cs Price: $24.79
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 150gr FMJBT LOCK-BASE 20/b 30/c Price: $26.79
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 185gr SP MEGA 20/bx 30/cs Price: $26.99
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 170gr FMJBT LOCK-BASE 20/b 30/c Price: $27.99
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 185gr FMJ-BT (D-46) 20/bx 30/cs Price: $28.59
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 181gr NATURALIS-SOLID 20/b 30/c Price: $28.99
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 185gr HPBT SCENAR 20/bx 30/cs Price: $28.99

PS. If anyone is buying some primers before the shooting event, please let me know, I want to bundle in some stuff.

rksimple
08-30-2007, 7:59 PM
I m really worrying about the ammo that I am reloading, since I am still getting inconsistant seating depth.

Are you using a die that seats off of the ojive? If so, how much do they vary? Is it the OAL that varies? Using a die that seats from the ojive, OAL can vary, but from base to ojive they will be much more consistent.

theEpiphany
08-30-2007, 8:06 PM
Hey Wildcard,

Just looked at the Measurements.....I Didn't realize how high we could go with the H380 powder...I'm going to see how a load of 50.0 with the 168 SMKs with do. Right now though I'll probably just stick with what I know is reliable with the H335 powder.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 8:09 PM

So, either I can get one of you to help me load some up and/or I'm going buy some Lapua ammo from Grafs as backup.

Timber: Now, which ONE I should get?

LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 150gr SP MEGA 20/bx 30/cs Price: $24.79
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 150gr FMJBT LOCK-BASE 20/b 30/c Price: $26.79
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 185gr SP MEGA 20/bx 30/cs Price: $26.99
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 185gr FMJ-BT (D-46) 20/bx 30/cs Price: $28.59
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 181gr NATURALIS-SOLID 20/b 30/c Price: $28.99
LAPUA AMMO 308 WIN 185gr HPBT SCENAR 20/bx 30/cs Price: $28.99

PS. If anyone is buying some primers before the shooting event, please let me know, I want to bundle in some stuff.

jicko on the dl 550, you have to make sure that the turret is screwed all the way in. do not move the turret at all. use it like a single stage press.

another issue with the dl 550/ .308 standard dies is that you must fullsize first before trimming. i once trimed first, then fullsized and it shrank the oal by .05 which pissed me off.

also pick up the dillon 1200 trimmer which makes life alot easier. you can trim a 100 pieces in less than 30 minutes, and every trim is consistant.

another hint is do things all at once. for instance, trim all your brass at the same time, fullsize all your brass at the same time, etc.

my typical reloading process is like this.

dirty brass = lube, trim, neck size, chamfer, debur, then tumble for 1.5 - 2 hours. brass comes out real clean. then i deprime, then clean primer pocket, and prime. load powder, then seat. note, i only lube once and tumble once. saves alot of time and bullshxt. all my oals come in the same using the dl550 and standard .308 dies.

another hint is get a powder dispenser, and the rcbs brass prep kit. huge time saving tools. huge!

i bought i forestor press, but it's not set up yet.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 8:17 PM
Hey Wildcard,

Just looked at the Measurements.....I Didn't realize how high we could go with the H380 powder...I'm going to see how a load of 50.0 with the 168 SMKs with do. Right now though I'll probably just stick with what I know is reliable with the H335 powder.

50grains sounds like alot of powder! your probably going to get erratic shot placements.

Jicko
08-30-2007, 8:22 PM
I use my RCBS RC2 to load my .308

I am STILL very worry.... if I only go there with my reloads, if their performance is not good, I would have wasted my 8hrs of driving....

That's why I want some ammo that at least are... consistant...

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 8:23 PM

throw that die away then. it's probably bunked. get the forester .308 ultra dies.

proraptor
08-30-2007, 8:26 PM
Are you using a die that seats off of the ojive? If so, how much do they vary? Is it the OAL that varies? Using a die that seats from the ojive, OAL can vary, but from base to ojive they will be much more consistent.

I think thats what my problem is.....Im using the forster micrometer and my oal is off.....

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 8:28 PM
I think thats what my problem is.....Im using the forster micrometer and my oal is off.....

dude, something is not right. wildcard uses the forester micrometer ulta dies, and his stuff is right on the dot. i'm using crappy .308 dillon regular dies and im right on the dot. only reason i want to go with the forestor micrometer dies is that i like to play around with ammo and change it up once in awhile.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 8:30 PM

I am STILL very worry.... if I only go there with my reloads, if their performance is not good, I would have wasted my 8hrs of driving....

That's why I want some ammo that at least are... consistant...

dude, you gotta come over to my house then. we'll get it right! don't give up on reloading.

btw, are you going all the way up and all the way down? don't rush too much, it'll only make the percentages of errors go up.

rksimple
08-30-2007, 8:36 PM

Due to differences from bullet to bullet, OAL may vary by a few thousands. If it varies more than that, there may be problems.

dude, something is not right. wildcard uses the forester micrometer ulta dies, and his stuff is right on the dot. i'm using crappy .308 dillon regular dies and im right on the dot. only reason i want to go with the forestor micrometer dies is that i like to play around with ammo and change it up once in awhile.

It depends on what bullets are being used. I was using my Redding comp seater for some bulk 308 in my M14. Using surplus 147 gr, I was getting OAL fluctuations +/- .006 or more. It was the QC of the bullets, not the die. But you and Wildcard always use good bullets, so its not a problem.

Jicko
08-30-2007, 8:44 PM
I m not giving up on reloading, I just haven't got the chance to "dial" my stuff in to yield consistant ammo for the "event" ....

I m using 173gr M118LR pulled ball..... NOT the best (and I measured the bullet length, they themselves varies a lot).... I am still waiting for Nosler to get back in stock...

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 9:08 PM
alot of people are having good reports on vmax. i've only shot the nosler version, 165gr ballistic tip, and for short distances it shoots about the same as the 168gr hpbt.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 9:10 PM
I m not giving up on reloading, I just haven't got the chance to "dial" my stuff in to yield consistant ammo for the "event" ....

I m using 173gr M118LR pulled ball..... NOT the best (and I measured the bullet length, they themselves varies a lot).... I am still waiting for Nosler to get back in stock...

also hit up wildcard, i think he might have 20 boxes of federal gold match ammo 168gr hpbt for sale.

Timberwolf
08-30-2007, 9:17 PM
Jicko

Of the ammo you listed this is what I'd go with:

As far as reloading if you weren't in SD I'd suggest coming up to my place and I'd help you out with reloading or wait a couple months as I'll be putting on a reloading clinic at APS (just waiting to take the test for my NRA cert in reloading)

Jicko
08-30-2007, 9:18 PM
also hit up wildcard, i think he might have 20 boxes of federal gold match ammo 168gr hpbt for sale.

Wildcard: can you at least bring those FGMM ammo? So just in case of "emergency", I can try to buy them off you...

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 9:21 PM
Jicko

Of the ammo you listed this is what I'd go with:

As far as reloading if you weren't in SD I'd suggest coming up to my place and I'd help you out with reloading or wait a couple months as I'll be putting on a reloading clinic at APS (just waiting to take the test for my NRA cert in reloading)

nice idea, i'm sure your gonna get tons of people going to that.

PistolPete75
08-30-2007, 9:38 PM
almost forgot, there will be a few safety rules that will be posted by next week, such as no holstered weapons and no fondeling of your stick after 6pm.

also there is no public restrooms. my dad only has one small mobile home, and he is very old. if you need to take a dump, i suggest bringing a shovel or going when we are at a restuarent or something like that.

stick = rifle, i mean..... you sickos!

Timberwolf
08-30-2007, 9:42 PM
stick = rifle, i mean..... you sickos!

This is my rifle, this is my gun . . .

And no wizzing on the firing line LOL

wildcard
08-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Wildcard: can you at least bring those FGMM ammo? So just in case of "emergency", I can try to buy them off you...

Sure thing dude. I'll bring 5 boxes and just sell it to you for the fair price of $20/ box :) Anybody else need some?

wildcard
08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Hey Wildcard,

I'd stick with what works. Besides.. the max load for the 168 SMK according to the Sierra manual is 48.2 gr of H380. I don't know much about H380 except that it's a rather slow burning powder.. but 50 gr sounds like a whole lot of powder. Considering your last load was < 41 gr of that powder if i recall correctly, start low and work up dude.. and faster isn't necessarily better :)

proraptor
08-31-2007, 8:59 AM
so I've been asked about a friday night bbq? you guys want to do that? anyone have a small bbq? I can bring some carne asada!

ill be there friday night hopefully with awheelman357 who else will be camping out?

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 9:02 AM
so I've been asked about a friday night bbq? you guys want to do that? anyone have a small bbq? I can bring some carne asada!

ill be there friday night hopefully with awheelman357 who else will be camping out?

i'll be there.

rksimple
08-31-2007, 9:09 AM

I'll swing by. I only live a few minutes away. I'll see what I can do about a grill.

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 9:10 AM
I'll swing by. I only live a few minutes away. I'll see what I can do about a grill.

yeah ryan!

theEpiphany
08-31-2007, 9:15 AM

The Sierra guide I looked at said 50...and yeah it is a slow burning powder.

I'm still on the lookout for other loads...though so far the 40 H335 seems to be good....Tomorrow I'm loading up 100 of the 168SMK 40gr H335 for the 8th..

The loads I had for the H380 when we were there were 44 45 and 46....I dont like the powder much though I had rather good luck with a 45 load...But if I can get the same accuracy that I've been getting with the H335 at 40gr with a bit more speed...I'm all for that.

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 9:23 AM
ryan, what's the temperature been like there recently?

wildcard
08-31-2007, 9:33 AM
You can only eat what you hunt or catch!

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 9:40 AM
i dunno about the rabbits. they might have disease. yuk

proraptor
08-31-2007, 9:47 AM
let me know if the bbq thing will work out as I think it would be fun on friday night....I can bring some marinated carne asada and some beers

ill also bring an ez up just incase it gets hot up there....

I'm off on the friday before....what time are we going to meet up there?

rksimple
08-31-2007, 9:48 AM
ryan, what's the temperature been like there recently?

Its been in the low 90's this week, but we're going through a little warm cycle. Its projected that this coming week it will cool off a bit and only a high of 79 on Saturday. Should be pretty nice.

You can only eat what you hunt or catch!

Those jacks out there don't taste too great. Cotton tails are a little better, but the desert rabbits are a bit gamey. I could bring some of last years deer to BBQ, though. Does that count?:D

wildcard
08-31-2007, 9:48 AM
i dunno about the rabbits. they might have disease. yuk

Yeah.. that's why I only take their feet. I should start harvesting the furs.. I could have probably made myself something nice by now..

rksimple
08-31-2007, 9:49 AM
I'm off on the friday before....what time are we going to meet up there?

Yeah Pete, I'm always off on Fridays so a few of us could go out and setup some things beforehand. What time do you plan to arrive?

proraptor
08-31-2007, 9:54 AM
I'd like to get out there before the sun goes down so I can set up camp....I also think it would be good to set up as much as possible so we don't have to worry about it the morning of the clinic....

I have a new surefire I can't wait to try out there also

Prc329
08-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Any shooting on friday?

proraptor
08-31-2007, 10:14 AM
I might get out there earlier on friday if we can shoot.....I'd like to try out the loads I'm bringing

rksimple
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM
I might get out there earlier on friday if we can shoot.....I'd like to try out the loads I'm bringing

There is a private range about half a mile away. I'm a member so if there isn't anyone at the ranch, you could always go there to check your zero.

Prc329
08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Cool, I am thinking of taking friday off. Maybe we can meet up at the private range if no one will be at the ranch till later?

proraptor
08-31-2007, 11:04 AM
that other range sounds awesome....I'd just like to try out all these crazy rounds I'm bring at 100 yards

rksimple
08-31-2007, 12:11 PM
I was just out at the range this morning. I went by Pete's parents place and took a pic from the road:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/0831071144.jpg

The property line goes to the first ridge and the road goes almost all the way up. Its level in some spots, but steep in others. Some targets could be put up off to the right for more angle shooting practice. The possibilities are endless!

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
for everyone asking me when i'll be showing up. i won't exactly know till friday around noonish. every day is a different schedule for me. hopefully, if everything goes well, i want to leave around 3pmish, and get there around 4pm. if all goes well, yes excellent time for varmint hunting around 7pmish.

my phone number will be pmed by monday too.

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 12:31 PM
varmint hunting will consist of only two weapons, and everyone will have a turn shooting. i don't want no rambo action going on.

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 12:32 PM
I was just out at the range this morning. I went by Pete's parents place and took a pic from the road:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/0831071144.jpg

The property line goes to the first ridge and the road goes almost all the way up. Its level in some spots, but steep in others. Some targets could be put up off to the right for more angle shooting practice. The possibilities are endless!

yep, nice pic! see that mountain to the right. i think we can go 1000yards on that, if someone is willing to hike up that mountain!

wildcard
08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
yep, nice pic! see that mountain to the right. i think we can go 1000yards on that, if someone is willing to hike up that mountain!

Hehe.. to get a thousand from the mountain.. we would have to shoot from the road probably :) The clearing we were shooting from last time was already kind of pushing it.. we need to be a minimum distance from the road.. is it 100 or 150 yds? We're going to max out at just under 900 yds.

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Hehe.. to get a thousand from the mountain.. we would have to shoot from the road probably :) The clearing we were shooting from last time was already kind of pushing it.. we need to be a minimum distance from the road.. is it 100 or 150 yds? We're going to max out at just under 900 yds.

true that. just in case some sheriff or ranger comes by. yep, good thinking.

Prc329
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Hmm, gotta go pick up some light 223 rounds for the little critters.

What do we do with them after they take a round :)

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 12:48 PM

eat it, ya right!

mayby someone can skin it, and make a jacket or something out of it. that would be gangsta!

Fjold
08-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Ouch, I just saw this post and the requirements. I was planning on shooting this like F class with my front rest and bunny rear bag. Most of my stuff is in storage so I'm going to have to find my forearm adapter for my bipod and I don't know if I have 100 rounds of ammo loaded up either.

I hate digging through the storage shed when it's 100 degrees out.

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Ouch, I just saw this post and the requirements. I was planning on shooting this like F class with my front rest and bunny rear bag. Most of my stuff is in storage so I'm going to have to find my forearm adapter for my bipod and I don't know if I have 100 rounds of ammo loaded up either.

wildcard has federal match ammo for sale. $20 a box.

bring your bunny ears. i like them also.

rksimple
08-31-2007, 1:10 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. You probably already know a lot of what is going to be taught. A small bunny ear bag shouldn't be a problem, nor a f class style rest. Just come and have fun! Whats your dope at 900 with that 6.5-284...less than 20 minutes or what?!

Timberwolf
08-31-2007, 2:44 PM
It doesn't matter to me what you use on your own but since the clinic is geared towards tact prec shooting no bench rest style front rests or bunny ear rear bags please. If you want to use them afterward thats fine but during the clinic I ask that all pretty well stick to the equipment list please.

Rhys898
08-31-2007, 3:12 PM
ok, anyone in the santa clarita area have 100 pieces of .308 brass, new or used, but same make? I was getting ready to start reloading and realised I dont have more than 80 unloaded brass of one manufacturer, and the reloading store is out.

Jer

Timberwolf
08-31-2007, 3:23 PM
Yeah - I've got some FGMM or LCLR stuff - its all 1X fired

Rhys898
08-31-2007, 3:27 PM
Yeah - I've got some FGMM or LCLR stuff - its all 1X fired

You going to be at the range this weekend?

Jer

Timberwolf
08-31-2007, 3:33 PM
As for right now I'm suppose to be off this weekend (its a holiday weekend so that could change), but I have to go there Monday and pick up the steel and target stands for next weekend. You can meet me out there on Monday. If I get called in before I can email ya.

What you prefer FGMM or LCLR

Rhys898
08-31-2007, 3:38 PM
I've never done any loading with the lake city stuff, so I guess I'll stick with the fgmm. I'll PM you my cell number. let me know what you want for it.

Thanks,
Jer

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 4:22 PM
twolf, is aps open on monday?

Timberwolf
08-31-2007, 4:25 PM
Yeah - if fact I'm running over there to PU some stuff on Monday unless I get called in then I'll be there anyway

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 4:31 PM
cool, i'll most likely show up to do a little shooting.

Timberwolf
08-31-2007, 4:35 PM
According to Bob it was 120F on the range yesterday

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 4:37 PM
ohhhh my. that is just sick.

Fjold
08-31-2007, 6:41 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. You probably already know a lot of what is going to be taught. A small bunny ear bag shouldn't be a problem, nor a f class style rest. Just come and have fun! Whats your dope at 900 with that 6.5-284...less than 20 minutes or what?!

19.4 Minutes at 900 yards :D

Wifezilla's got another load of stuff to take to the storage shed so I'll just go tomorrow morning at 7 AM and I'll see what I can find.

If it's OK, I'll still bring the 375 H&H and let people put some 260 grain partitions down range.

PistolPete75
08-31-2007, 6:44 PM

Wifezilla's got another load of stuff to take to the storage shed so I'll just go tomorrow morning at 7 AM and I'll see what I can find.

If it's OK, I'll still bring the 375 H&H and let people put some 260 grain partitions down range.

go for it! that'll be a monster to shoot. talk to you guys later, i'm out for the whole weekend! have a good one. peace.

rksimple
08-31-2007, 7:45 PM

That makes me sick! I'd be all over that if it weren't for barrel life. I'm going through about 1K rounds every 3 months. I wouldn't be able to keep up with new barrels!

Jicko
09-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Can someone send me the address so that I can start looking for hotel for FRI nite?

It would be difficult for me to drive up SAT morning, so I am planning to come up FRI nite, stay a night and do the clinic and then head back SAT nite.

I'd be camping out if it weren't for my 2 girls..... (wife & 7mo old), they want to come with me, so I'd like to put them in the hotel when we are doing the shoot having them coming out to the range seems to be too much of a torture....

rksimple
09-01-2007, 3:05 PM
Can someone send me the address so that I can start looking for hotel for FRI nite?

It would be difficult for me to drive up SAT morning, so I am planning to come up FRI nite, stay a night and do the clinic and then head back SAT nite.

I'd be camping out if it weren't for my 2 girls..... (wife & 7mo old), they want to come with me, so I'd like to put them in the hotel when we are doing the shoot having them coming out to the range seems to be too much of a torture....

Any hotel in Tehachapi will do. The closest one to the ranch is this one: http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=09600&brandInfo=TL

Bad thing is, theres nothing to do around that hotel. Downtown, there is a Best Western that is close to many shops and things. Its only another 2 miles down the road so its still close.

Prc329
09-01-2007, 4:28 PM
Hehe, muzzle brake = good. I'll do a write up later.

rksimple
09-01-2007, 7:21 PM
Hehe, muzzle brake = good. I'll do a write up later.

I bet its awesome. I went to a PR match in Vegas today and shot next to guy using a supressor on his 308. That is the coolest thing ever. Decreases recoil AND noise. Made it sound like a 22. I gotta get out of this state.

Timberwolf
09-01-2007, 8:36 PM
Supressers are very cool and pleasant to shoot wth . . . I'll be shocked if you don't see a few at the class you're attending. Someday I'll leave the PRK where I can own such things instead of just borrow when when I visit friends in normal states.

Jicko
09-02-2007, 1:23 AM
I went to test my .308 loads today, they are OK. 5 rounds accuracy @ 100yds, .875"

But I've got a problem.... my scope on my 700PSS is a Leupold Tactical PR 3-9x40mm Duplex. It took me 2 complete turn + 2.5 MOA to get ZERO @ 100yds. And all I have is probably another 16MOA adjustment only. I am worried that I will have some troubles next weekend. (according to JBM, the drop would be like 25MOA/209" @ 800yds.....)

What can I do??

PS. any one have the Ballistic Coeff of M118LR 173gr ball???

Timberwolf
09-02-2007, 7:51 AM
What type of rings and base do you have on your 700P?

Also the bullet in M118LR is a 175SMK which IIRC has a BC of .496 at std vel. The 0ld M118SB 173 grn has a BC of .484 at std vel.

Anyway here's a link for the come ups for M118LR / M118SB -

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/snipersustainment/Table2.htm

Jicko
09-02-2007, 8:26 AM
Leupold Standard 2 piece Base & Standard Rings

Probably these:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-3040-402-leupold-standard-2-piece-base.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2943-403-leupold-standard-1-rings.aspx

Thanks for the BC info. The one I have are the old M118SB 173 grn.

Timberwolf
09-02-2007, 10:20 PM
With your set up I'd recommend getting a 20MOA pictanny rail and rings.

proraptor
09-03-2007, 8:34 AM
I loaded up 100 rounds 168 grain A-max with 45 grains varget federal 210 primers today....they should shoot good for the clinic....I think Im pretty much ready for this..

Prc329
09-03-2007, 8:52 PM
Let me know how this sounds.

I have a pair of 7 gallon water containers I will bring (filled with ice water) as well as a cooler I will fill with water and Gatorade (any specific flavors let me know). I also picked myself up a small tent at Target for $28.

So I got the water covered for everyone, hopefully.

Timberwolf
09-03-2007, 9:13 PM
I plan on emailing everyone the information for Saturday's clinic tomorrow evening - easier than making so many copies - if everyone going could email me at billerwin@msn.com so I can capture your correct email I'd appreciate it.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 9:10 AM
mass pm will be sent out today for directions. just got back from the weekend. dam i don't want to work today!

wildcard
09-04-2007, 9:17 AM
mass pm will be sent out today for directions. just got back from the weekend. dam i don't want to work today!

Got back yesterday myself after putting 1000 miles on my car.. that was a lot of driving! Taking care of any business in the Arcadia area this week?

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 9:23 AM
Got back yesterday myself after putting 1000 miles on my car.. that was a lot of driving! Taking care of any business in the Arcadia area this week?

so far, i just have a ton of paper work and one deal in ventura county. i have like nooooo motivation right now. wish it was friday all over again! how was the wedding?

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 9:33 AM
directions sent to everyone

wildcard
09-04-2007, 9:38 AM
Wedding was real nice.. but what was even nicer was the Remington 700 Sendero 300 Win Mag I bought! There was two patches of surface rust and some copper fouling/ oxidizing in the barrel going on.. but nothing some chemicals and good old fashioned elbow grease can't fix. Still worth it for $550 if it can hold .5 MOA as advertised. Now I just need to buy the accessories.. reloading components for that caliber.. scope and mounts.. I can't afford this :mad:

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 9:41 AM
Wedding was real nice.. but what was even nicer was the Remington 700 Sendero 300 Win Mag I bought! There was two patches of surface rust and some copper fouling/ oxidizing in the barrel going on.. but nothing some chemicals and good old fashioned elbow grease can't fix. Still worth it for $550 if it can hold .5 MOA as advertised. Now I just need to buy the accessories.. reloading components for that caliber.. scope and mounts.. I can't afford this :mad:

nice buy, just take it slow. no need to rush. hey i have a business prop for you. i'll pm you.

proraptor
09-04-2007, 10:25 AM
got the directions....thanks...

ill email you when I get home timberwolf....how big are the files you are going to send?

Prc329
09-04-2007, 10:37 AM
So who is going up friday and how can we shoot on the private range?

Timberwolf
09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
The main one is 42 pages in Word format. This is actually chapter 3 of FM 23-10 which I always use for reference. The other one will be about 6 pages in pdf format (if the scanner will quite giving me grief). I will also be bringing copies of the ones in pdf with me in case some of y'all don't have Acrobat Reader on you computers.

If any of you happen to already have FM 23-10 let me know.

proraptor
09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
nate I'm going to leave friday so I can get some shooting in on the other range....what time are you going to leave to get up there?

I believe it was rksimple that said he is a member at that range....we should ask him

Prc329
09-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm probably going to hit the road about 12ish.

rksimple
09-04-2007, 11:07 AM
So who is going up friday and how can we shoot on the private range?

I just have to be out there with you guys. Just let me know what time and I'll see what I can do.

proraptor
09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
ill also leave at noon also.....its 137 miles from me so I don't know how long its going to take me

proraptor
09-04-2007, 11:54 AM
btw are we going to have a bbq friday night or no?

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 12:05 PM
btw are we going to have a bbq friday night or no?

the answer is yes!

Jicko
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I am likely to haul my butt up to LA and carpool with PRC

Let's BBBBBBBBQQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!

Is there a BBQ up there?

Should we just figure out how many of us and just get steaks? Vons got $3.97/lb NY Steaks (good till today tho).... too bad I won't know if they would still have that for this coming week... or if they would have the better "Ribeye" on sale...
http://vons1.inserts2online.com/breakout.jsp?imageName=01_29WIN35_V12-01.jpg&isBreakoutImage=false&pageNumber=1&breakoutName=b263434_21.jpg&itemId=

I can bring wines too!!

PS. can do baby rack of lamb too.... but it will be a little more pricy....

wildcard
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Geez.. I wasn't gonna go up there until Saturday morning.. but with all these festivities.. what to do?!

Prc329
09-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Hmm, I gotta find some Miller Lite on sale.

BTW, I found the coolest blanket...um I mean shooting mat at Target. It is a stadium blanket but it rolls up small enough to attach to my pack. $10 :D

Jicko
09-04-2007, 12:30 PM

BTW, I found the coolest blanket...um I mean shooting mat at Target. It is a stadium blanket but it rolls up small enough to attach to my pack. $10 :D

I use a junkie sleeping bag from Big5.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Geez.. I wasn't gonna go up there until Saturday morning.. but with all these festivities.. what to do?!

carpool with me!

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 12:32 PM

i'll have a case waiting for you!

rksimple
09-04-2007, 1:15 PM
the answer is yes!

I'm still trying to procure a grill and a way to get it out there. I have a Dutch oven if anyone knows some good "dutch oven" dishes. Worst case scenario, grill over a campfire.

wildcard
09-04-2007, 1:27 PM
carpool with me!

I would except I still have to consult on friday and I'm never sure what time I get out! Gotta make that $$$ somehow to pay for all my toys!

I need to start reloading. After this weekend, I'm going to give my rifle a good cleaning.. it's a dirty girl.. :p

proraptor
09-04-2007, 1:28 PM
man....this is going to be a lot of fun.....ill also bring some beer...

nate which section is that new shooting mat located in at target? is it thick like that uhaul blanket you had? I might pick one up

wildcard
09-04-2007, 1:31 PM
I'm still trying to procure a grill and a way to get it out there. I have a Dutch oven if anyone knows some good "dutch oven" dishes. Worst case scenario, grill over a campfire.

I have a perfectly functional gas grill in pretty good shape that we can take out there and even keep if somebody so desires. Just trying to get rid of it because my mom prefers the taste of the simple Weber charcoal grills.

All you have to do is pick it up from Arcadia cause it sure isn't fitting in my ride! Heck.. I think I still have the bottom lined with volcanic rock..

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 1:53 PM
The Count Down Has Begun......

proraptor
09-04-2007, 2:09 PM
I took friday and monday off....can't wait....

anyone know if turners sells any decent slings? I need a sling for the clinic.....what about fowlers or stockade?

Timberwolf
09-04-2007, 2:21 PM
I'll bring a couple of spares if you can't find one.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 2:22 PM
so are we gonna have a pot luck bbq? if so, we should plan it out.

Jicko
09-04-2007, 2:51 PM
So, WHO is going to be there FRI nite?

And what time?

We can do a small shoot and then eat... and drink... camp fire....

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 3:04 PM
i'm going to be there as soon as i can, but i have no definite time. i am shooting for the afternoonish for me to get there.

proraptor
09-04-2007, 3:05 PM
both me and nate will be leaving our houses around noon on friday....worst case scenario for me is getting there around 2 pm.....

so I'm planning on shooting with rksimple prc329 and whoever else shows up then a bbq and beers later..........I guess we could just cook over the campfire or something

wildcard
09-04-2007, 3:18 PM
I'll see you guys there in the morning after a a night of reloading.. a nice shower.. and some sleep in a warm bed :)

i actually want to camp.. just don't think I could get over there at a reasonable hour to make it worth my while.. I'll see..

ar15barrels
09-04-2007, 3:25 PM

Y'all gotta quit having these shoots on my match days if you want me to show up.
I compete the 2nd & 4th saturdays and sometimes the 3rd saturday.

ar15barrels
09-04-2007, 3:30 PM

Try to find them.

ar15barrels
09-04-2007, 3:38 PM
Just finished skimming all 20 pages of the thread.
Remind me when the next one comes around.

proraptor
09-04-2007, 3:43 PM
I'm making a list of everything I need to bring right now...kind of hard to do when you are stuck at work with a broken air conditioner!!!!!!!!! I'm dieing

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 3:48 PM
I'm making a list of everything I need to bring right now...kind of hard to do when you are stuck at work with a broken air conditioner!!!!!!!!! I'm dieing

i hear on the day of the shoot, it's going to be in the 80's. if the wind is not wild that day, it'll be a perfect day!

Prc329
09-04-2007, 3:56 PM
man....this is going to be a lot of fun.....ill also bring some beer...

nate which section is that new shooting mat located in at target? is it thick like that uhaul blanket you had? I might pick one up

Sporting goods. It was near the soccer stuff. Not as think but still seems like it will work out fine.

Jicko
09-04-2007, 4:00 PM
Anyone bringing a portable shade? tent?

So at least during the "teaching portion", we dun need to stand out in the sun...

Prc329
09-04-2007, 4:02 PM
Just finished skimming all 20 pages of the thread.
Remind me when the next one comes around.

Will do.

Prc329
09-04-2007, 4:03 PM

So at least during the "teaching portion", we dun need to stand out in the sun...

I will and I think Proraptor said he will.

wildcard
09-04-2007, 4:09 PM

I would if I had one. I was thinking about a tarp and some sticks to make a shelter to shoot prone under.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 5:03 PM
anyone got an anemometer? it might come in handy. i've been looking at the Kestrel 2500. someone should pick one up!

rksimple
09-04-2007, 5:16 PM
anyone got an anemometer? it might come in handy. i've been looking at the Kestrel 2500. someone should pick one up!

I have the 2500. I'll be bringing it.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 5:23 PM
I have the 2500. I'll be bringing it.

woohoo. i would like to play with that alot. i want to see if i could use all the tools available to me, and see if i could hit a high percentage of all my shots especially cold bore.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 5:26 PM
i have a lecia 1200 rangefinder too which is available to anyone that wants to use it of course after the clinic so there is no cheating going on.

wildcard
09-04-2007, 5:34 PM
i have a lecia 1200 rangefinder too which is available to anyone that wants to use it of course after the clinic so there is no cheating going on.

Pssh.. I use mil dots :)

I see that Leica coming in handy though!

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 5:40 PM
ya i want to learn how to use the mil dots, but i'm going to see if i could get my cold bore shots patted down with the chronograph, rangefinder, ACI, anemometer, and ballistics software. hi-tec shooting for me! (hehe, i like to cheat!) plus in most cases, you wouldn't know the size of your targets anyways.

remember the last match, that could have been the winning shot!

Timberwolf
09-04-2007, 5:53 PM
Y'all keep getting so precise and I'll have to put a smaller target on the hill for the next match's CBS.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 5:55 PM
dammit, i got to keep my mouth shut! i mean i will only use mildots..

(the newbie has to try to get some competitive edge, huh?)

Timberwolf
09-04-2007, 6:14 PM
quick question - you observe the enemy on a distant hill - you can only see his head and it ranges at 1.25 mils - whats your approx holdover with a 100 yard zero using std M118LR?

rksimple
09-04-2007, 6:19 PM
quick question - you observe the enemy on a distant hill - you can only see his head and it ranges at 1.25 mils - whats your approx holdover with a 100 yard zero using std M118LR?

It subtends 1.25 mils in height or width? How much higher or lower is this distant hill from my position? J/K:D

About .5 mil holdover with my load. Send it.

Timberwolf
09-04-2007, 6:24 PM
The head is 1.25 mils high, 0 deg angle, wind calm, sun from the shooter's 3 o'clock (same as when zeroed)

wildcard
09-04-2007, 8:25 PM
A head 1.25 mils high?

I would range that at 200 yds (assumes a 9" head from chin to top). Hold 4 inches high or approx .5 mils high and fire.

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 8:38 PM
i got 10 inches high at 222yards. i dunno ballistics of the m118, so i would say if i was shoot fgmm at aps at around 3pm. i would adjust 2.75 moa for a 6.5 inch drop.

proraptor
09-04-2007, 8:47 PM
Im lost.....lets talk about the shoot and BBQ....Do we have a BBQ coming?

PistolPete75
09-04-2007, 8:49 PM
i am down with a bbq and some beers. my dad came home today, and he said all is good to shoot. just don't shoot the water line!

Timberwolf
09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Y'all are good - the avg human head is 10" tall so the range would be 222 yards. With no wind and no angle and the sun being at the same location as when you zeroed the avg drop is 2MOA or approx .55 mils holdover.

wildcard
09-04-2007, 10:30 PM
i got 10 inches high at 222yards. i dunno ballistics of the m118, so i would say if i was shoot fgmm at aps at around 3pm. i would adjust 2.75 moa for a 6.5 inch drop.

Nice. When did you learn to use mil-dots?

Jicko
09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Im lost.....lets talk about the shoot and BBQ....Do we have a BBQ coming?

YES for BBQ FRI nite!

Steak & beer & red-wine & some scotch for post dinner camp-fire drink....

Either there will be a BBQ grill, or we'll be building a grill with a piece of metal grill + charcoal + some tin-foil (we can make tin-foil hats afterwards)

Now.... how are we gonna procure the meat? If we have a for sure coming to BBQ list... we can figure out how much meat to get(NY Steak or Ribeye), then some sausages etc....... and at the end, people can just chip in.... that can be a little easier than people pot-lucking their own piece of steak.... but it is up to what you guys wanna do....

PS. I see that Vons' NY Steak is back up to 6.99/lb tomorrow onwards.... we can still try to go to a Vons before midnite tonite to get those 3.97/lb deal..... (so how many of us? I can go to buy steak like in 30min...*steak run...*)

Timberwolf
09-04-2007, 11:01 PM
*** Of the 12 members listed as coming I only have email addresses for 8 of them and emails have gone to them as follows:

rksimple
pistolpete
proraptor
wildcard
prc329
awheelman 357
Rhys898
jicko

I do not have email addresses on the following and need them to send the info packs:

fjold
epiphany
caduckgunner
cypriss32

If you are coming to the clinic please email me so that I can get your info packets emailed to you.

Thanks

Jicko
09-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I m just gonna go out and get some steaks NOW. Or get a raincheck.

rksimple prc329 ricko pistolpete proraptor anyone else??

Bye guys....

Rhys898
09-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I'll be there friday night.

Also I still havent recieved an email Timberwolf.

Jer

Jicko
09-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I've got a raincheck. Now, I will go get the steaks thursday nite. We just need to keep a list going to figure out who is coming FRIDAY, and then I can go procure the steaks....

PistolPete75
09-05-2007, 8:08 AM
I've got a raincheck. Now, I will go get the steaks thursday nite. We just need to keep a list going to figure out who is coming FRIDAY, and then I can go procure the steaks....

me me me! i want one.

PistolPete75
09-05-2007, 8:22 AM
Nice. When did you learn to use mil-dots?

online, tons of places to do practice drills.

http://www.shooterready.com/mildot.swf (this is a good one)

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/mildot.htm

etc. etc.

you guys should write the calculations down in your little sniper book, although mildot master will lessen the chances of any human errors.

proraptor
09-05-2007, 8:49 AM
jicko I'm in for a steak....thanks for getting them...let me know how much I owe you....so who is going to be chef for the bbq?

PistolPete75
09-05-2007, 8:55 AM
did you guys hear? we are getting our own subforum. pretty cool huh? we should make some t-shirts/ long sleeve t-shirts. would be nice.

wildcard
09-05-2007, 9:16 AM
did you guys hear? we are getting our own subforum. pretty cool huh? we should make some t-shirts/ long sleeve t-shirts. would be nice.

And some tight slutty tops for the women :D

proraptor
09-05-2007, 9:53 AM
where did you see that we are getting our own forum?

PistolPete75
09-05-2007, 9:58 AM
where did you see that we are getting our own forum?

subforum.

under kestryll's poll.

Fjold
09-05-2007, 1:02 PM
Our PM's just crossed in the ether, email addresss is on the way..

Prc329
09-05-2007, 1:50 PM
O.K., this is what I am bringing......

100 rounds of 175g SMKs
50 rounds of 69g SMKs
25 rounds 75g A-Max (the wolf gold 75g shot very well)
25 rounds 77g SMKs to see how they shoot
250 rounds of plinkin 308 for my M14 for friday and after the clinic
250 rounds 75g wolf gold

I am considering doing some 168g for my M14 to see if it liked them as well as another 50 or so 175s to stretch the legs of my savage.

I am also bringing my shooting gear, chronograph, spotting scope, Canon 30D. I am also packing up 2 7 gallon water containers and a cooler full of water and Gatorade. I also have a tent I am sleeping in. Oh and a portable canopy thingy and my chair. I may also bring my gun vise to clean my rifle on the bed of my truck.

Good thing I drive a truck :D

PistolPete75
09-05-2007, 3:09 PM

100 rounds of 175g SMKs
50 rounds of 69g SMKs
250 rounds 75g wolf gold

I am considering doing some 168g for my M14 to see if it liked them as well as another 50 or so 175s to stretch the legs of my savage.

I am also bringing my shooting gear, chronograph, spotting scope, Canon 30D. I am also packing up 2 7 gallon water containers and a cooler full of water and Gatorade. I also have a tent I am sleeping in. Oh and a portable canopy thingy and my chair. I may also bring my gun vise to clean my rifle on the bed of my truck.

you are ready to go ain't ya! itching till friday huh?

Jicko
09-05-2007, 5:04 PM

100 rounds of 175g SMKs
50 rounds of 69g SMKs
250 rounds 75g wolf gold

If you bring ONLY the above... you would be crying out there.... cuz... you forgot your GUNS!!! :D

Also, you are bringing ME too!!! :D
Along with me, comes.... my 700PSS and Mk12Mod1SPR.....
But.... no ammo... :-( (i'd need to do a steak for ammo program with you guys...)

I think I may have to try to shoot XM193 and AE223 with my SPR *sigh*..... I may bring my 24" upper and see if I can get to 600+yds with these 55gr'ers.

So far I am hearing 6 guys... so I'll go and get 6 pieces of steaks.... and i will get some charcoal....

Now, what else you guys wanna eat??

Will someone else bring more food?

& What's for breakfast?

Rhys898
09-05-2007, 5:11 PM
I'll bring potatoes, corn, tinfoil, butter, salt, pepper, cheese and baconbits. :) in exchange for steak :)

Jer

PistolPete75
09-05-2007, 5:15 PM
breakfast, i say we have ryan show us a place to eat. he knows all the local places out there or we can grill up some eggs and toast.

i'm thinking i will only shoot two rifles and mayby a 1911

going to keep it simple.

700p, 700sps, and a 1911 since i have tons of ammo for it.

200 .308, 100 .223, and 500 .45acp

i'll also have a rangefinder on hand, so you guys are welcomed to use it.

my ballastics watch won't be in time for the shoot.

wildcard
09-05-2007, 5:25 PM
Also, you are bringing ME too!!! :D
Along with me, comes.... my 700PSS and Mk12Mod1SPR.....
But.... no ammo... :-( (i'd need to do a steak for ammo program with you guys...)

Well I don't think I'll be participating in the steak for ammo program.. but did you want to buy a few boxes of factory 168 gr FGMM from me? $20/box just let me know how many.

Rhys898
09-05-2007, 5:28 PM
Well I don't think I'll be participating in the steak for ammo program.. but did you want to buy a few boxes of factory 168 gr FGMM from me? $20/box just let me know how many.

How many do you have left??? I'm beginning to think I may not have enough time between when I meet up with bill tonight to get the brass and friday afternoon to load 100 rounds.

Jer

PistolPete75
09-05-2007, 5:39 PM
talk to you guys tomorrow. i'm heading out home.

Prc329
09-05-2007, 5:49 PM
Duh. I'm bringing two 10fps, the m14 and my XD in case anything tries to attach us and gets past all the rifles.

wildcard
09-05-2007, 7:24 PM
How many do you have left??? I'm beginning to think I may not have enough time between when I meet up with bill tonight to get the brass and friday afternoon to load 100 rounds.

Jer

I can comfortably part with 5 boxes though I have up to 10 to help out my Calgun peeps. Wouldn't want anyone missing out on this clinic because they didn't have enough ammo!

Rhys898
09-05-2007, 8:05 PM
I'll take 5, Thanks

Jer

wildcard
09-05-2007, 8:50 PM
I'll have it there for you.

Cypriss32
09-05-2007, 9:09 PM
Anyone wana check out an manners MCST1. Wont be able to take ANY of fricking 308s, some have no barrels, others have no stocks, and the rest have no BASES, Ohhh ya couple are waiting on scopes. Im not doing too good reloading i have 20 223 rounds loaded and 5 300wsm. I need 300 more! Timberwolf i sent you an email.
Im gona bring some Burgers friday night, anything anyone wants in perticulare? What time should i come?

Prc329
09-05-2007, 9:39 PM
Anyone wana check out an manners MCST1. Wont be able to take ANY of fricking 308s, some have no barrels, others have no stocks, and the rest have no BASES, Ohhh ya couple are waiting on scopes. Im not doing too good reloading i have 20 223 rounds loaded and 5 300wsm. I need 300 more! Timberwolf i sent you an email.
Im gona bring some Burgers friday night, anything anyone wants in perticulare? What time should i come?

Talking about this guy?

http://mannersstocks.com/sitebuilder/images/mcs-t1-1-605x179.png

Why not.

Cypriss32
09-05-2007, 9:58 PM
Ya i guess I will bring it. I dont have ascope base for it. Its a savage L/A pre accu. Im waiting on my seekins base. Mine has a touch of gap in it. Just wish i was shooting VLDS from it.

Timberwolf
09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
OK additional emails have gone out to fjold, cypriss32 and tcrpe. Is there anyone else who is coming that has not rec'd their packet?

wildcard
09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I'll take 5, Thanks

Jer

Just went into my stash and yanked out 5 boxes with matching lot numbers. These are the old school ones with the gold (leaded?) primers too!