PDA

View Full Version : mini-14 in 6.8??

hardkore909
08-28-2007, 9:29 PM
i saw one on GB and was curious if anyone has heard anything about them and know if there are aftermarket mags for them.

bwiese
08-28-2007, 9:31 PM
Ruger Mini-14: when you absolutely, positively have to hit that barn door.

Technical Ted
08-28-2007, 9:32 PM
Ruger Mini-14: when you absolutely, positively must hit that barn door.
One of the members of the 68RemSPC yahoo group just posted pics of a near dime sized group shot at 100 yds with his new Ruger.

hardkore909
08-28-2007, 9:33 PM
I like my mini-14 better than my .223 ar upper. Heck I even like my 9mm upper better than both of them together. And, I like my 30 carbine better than the rest of them.

ibanezfoo
08-29-2007, 12:35 PM

Never understood this... my mini14 is as accurate as I am. Even with a crappy BSA scope on it. Maybe mine is a fluke? I only got it because I shot my friends in the desert and it was accurate too. I'm not driving tacks at 800 yards or anything, but exploding oranges isn't too difficult out at 100 yards or so.

-Bryan

Mike 56
08-29-2007, 2:12 PM
Any Mini 14 with a barrel in good condition can shoot two inch groups at 100yd or better mine shoots 1 inch groups. You just need a muzzle break, barrel strut and good ammo. I made my barrel strut now you can buy them. http://www.accu-strut.com/

Mike

PIRATE14
08-29-2007, 4:09 PM
6.8 Mini----they are available.....any guinea pigs????:43:

ar15barrels
08-29-2007, 4:58 PM
I had a couple of BAD barrel blanks a while back.
They just would not shoot any better than 1.5" groups.
I replaced them and the new barrels are shooting MUCH better.

These were flat-out BAD barrels and the maker even admitted that a couple (of the 20 I ordered) did not feel "right" when he was lapping them... :mad:

The point of this is that if a Mini can only be expected to shoot 2 MOA, you might as well have one of my BAD barrels.

ViPER395
08-29-2007, 5:56 PM
I have a Mini-14. It is great. Not a tackdriver, but I definately could hit the door hinge at 100 :p All this anti-Mini talk, about poor accuracy, and such. Mine shoots well, and I think most peoples Mini-14s shoot better than people think.

Back to the point. & to contradict myself a little.. On another board a couple guys have bought Mini-6.8s

One of them shot like cocka. Best group he posted was 2", most were over 8" with different handloads.

Other guy's shot pretty decent, I think 1 1-2" group with factory ammo.

CRTguns
08-29-2007, 11:21 PM

Come on. That's uncalled for. Ya gotta put some smiley faces on there so we know you're playing.

ar15barrels
08-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Ya gotta put some smiley faces on there so we know you're playing.

Perhaps he didn't because he wasn't.

CRTguns
08-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I like my mini-14 better than my .223 ar upper. Heck I even like my 9mm upper better than both of them together. And, I like my 30 carbine better than the rest of them.

There are pills and various forms of treatment for your apparent condition.
WebMD might have something to help you self diagnose.

CRTguns
08-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Perhaps he didn't because he wasn't.

Again...
Ya gotta put some smiley faces on there so we know you're playing.

you know... peoples' feelings in this world we live in today...you can't offend anybody anymore- not even ruger fans.

Truthfully, I do not sell any Ruger firearms, EXCEPT the mini. The pistols are garbage. The revolvers are trash. The bolt rifles are landfill and the rimfires are worthless. I added it up a week ago, I have spent $415 in 2007 sending RUGER firearms back for warranty repair. All of these are rimfires, pistols, revolvers, and bolt guns. I won't sell them anymore. Period. The mini seems to be unaffected by Ruger's inability to make firearms these days.

Capita159
08-29-2007, 11:47 PM
I only got it because I shot my friends in the desert and it was accurate too. -Bryan

:eek: Whao watch out, this guy shot his friends. Sorry, had to do it :43:

I have a Mini 30, and it'll nail the targets at 100yards whenever it wants too. Most of it is just me shooting. "NooB" but the 7.62X39 is a hell of a round.

ivanimal
08-30-2007, 1:42 AM
6.8 Mini----they are available.....any guinea pigs????:43:

How much Hector?

ibanezfoo
08-30-2007, 11:45 AM
:eek: Whao watch out, this guy shot his friends. Sorry, had to do it :43:

Well now that I'm out of friends, anyone up for a friendly desert trip? :44: :eek:

:smilielol5:

-Bryan

bwiese
08-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Come on. That's uncalled for. Ya gotta put some smiley faces on there so we know you're playing.

I wasn't playing.

EVERY Mini I have shot was a POS. 4-5MOA with quality ammo. Might as well have an SKS. Factoring my bad eyes out of the equation these had scopes on them [the scopes/mounts were quality and did not introduce problems of their own.]

I am a reasonably competent shooter and can do well on a bench with an AR/AR10, M1A, bolt gun, etc. My fortysomething eyeglassed eyes aren't good w/irons but with a scope I can do fine.

Maybe Ruger has changed something recently. If their 6.8s are doing well, great. Maybe it's just luck. I don't think they could plan it.

If you have to put a new bbl or some kinda gimmick barrel weight on it, that's a nonstarter for me. (Why don't thin-barrelled lightweight ARs have these problems?)

The only Rugers I'll buy are single-actions (have enough now). I also do think the P90 45ACP pistol is a sleeper, as it's very accurate if you can de-grit the trigger a bit.

ArmedBear
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Ruger HAS done something different recently. They reworked all the tooling and changed the barrel. I haven't shot a new one, so I can't say how the new one shoots, though.

I have a Mini, and it doesn't shoot MOA by any stretch. But I like it, as a platform, better than the AR. I prefer traditional stocks for the way they point fast and follow moving targets (I also shoot clays). The Mini is lighter, and far more compact. The AR sticks out in all directions, and has always felt odd to me. The pistol grip design introduces horizontal trigger finger pull as a practical accuracy issue that I only normally have to worry about with a handgun. So I wish the Mini DID shoot better.

Therefore, I just put together a 20" HBAR with an OLL (thanks Bill!). It's no fun shooting a Mini at paper. Reactive targets, clay pigeons (on the ground and hand-thrown -- hand-thrown with a Mini-14 is a BLAST!) are fun. But if I'm trying to hit the center of a target, I'll use the HBAR.

Maybe I'll have to get an aftermarket Mini barrel or something.

And all of that said, the new Minis are supposed to shoot a lot better. The 6.8 is interesting to me as a hunting carbine.

Mike 56
08-30-2007, 3:11 PM
My mini shot 5 inch groups at 50 yd with Wolf ammo out of the box. I found this website dedicated to making Minis more accurate. http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ The first mod i did was add a muzzle break that cut my groups in half. Next i tried every kind of ammo i could find AE 50gr FBHOP was the best ammo i tried at that time i took a small torch to the mainspring in my trigger group just till i saw a spot of red let it cool. That made my trigger pull 3 1/2 Lbs ( i was told that i should not have done this but so far i have not had any problems) Now i could shoot 3 inch groups at 100yds but would have to let the barrel cool down every few shots. Next i found a hand load my Mini liked 24gr IMR 4064 with a Hornady 52gr BTHP my groups got better. The last mods i did was re-toque the gas block and install a smaller gas port bushing, install a forearm sling stud to mount my bi-pod (the harris adapter was putting pressure on my gas block), built and installed a barrel strut, and maid front and rear buffers. Now i can shoot 1 inch or better groups only having to cool down after five shots. I can rapid fire ten rounds in the x ring at 50yd.

Mike

EdinKali
08-30-2007, 4:18 PM
My mini-30 shot like crap out of the box with SA surplus. Even worse with Wolf.
With a tighter synthetic stock(ramline), a muzzle brake, and handloads I have gotten the groups down to 1.1" @100 yds(5 shot groups CTC). Steel pigs @300 yds are a piece of cake now.

CRTguns
08-30-2007, 10:12 PM
I have never, and would never claim that the Mini has, does, or will outshoot the AR platform for accuracy and adaptability. The AR can be mod'd to make it mission or environment specific. It can be built to operate as a sniper/spotter rifle. It can change calibers, it can be smithed and fit by a dude with no mechanical expertise. It can engage in covert and subvert roles. It can operate with electronic sight with enhancements in Thermal, infa-red, ambient, or magnifers. It can be belt fed or box mag. It can shoot sub MOA.

The mini's strengths, however will come into play on the
"Day of the Rope."
When the gun just has to hit its targets- close and far- human sized, without jamming- ever. That's the mini. It does this on the competition range too. I've played with both guns- and cannot refute the advantages of the mini in close to intermediate range, while moving, engaging human sized targets. MOA means nothing when hitting steel plates under the clock through chain link fence. Caliber conversions mean nothing while you are actively shooting the gun. Try shooting your AR under a vehicle- you can't. Shoot an AR through a chain link fence- the sights are ocluded by the wires' intersections. Try clearing a t1 t2 or t3 jam on both guns. the AR only shows better on a t1. etc...etc...

The AR, in its sphere of operations is outstanding.

The mini is, as Bweise indicated, is in the AK/sks class of weapons.

Apples and Oranges.

ps... I think the new "target" mini is a POS.

ArmedBear
08-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Try shooting hand-thrown clays.

With a Mini, my best so far is 3 in a row, in the air. Moving rifle on moving targets, that little gun really shines.

DISCLAIMER: I did this in an area with a mountain as an immediate backstop. Don't shoot a .223 in the air without a backstop!!!

SVRider
08-31-2007, 12:26 PM
The mini is, as Bweise indicated, is in the AK/sks class of weapons.

Apples and Oranges.

ps... I think the new "target" mini is a POS.

CRT, since you mod these, I wonder how you compare the "older" mini to the new 580 series, especially as a starting point for your mods....

I am considering having you shorten one (once funds open up) and would like to know how you feel about each....

Thx...

CRTguns
08-31-2007, 2:55 PM
I think the old mini- NOT the ranch, but the regular mini-14 is superior. The sights are stronger, the mag catch is better (yes, they're different). and the ONLY way to mount a scope is with the ULtimak scout mount. It serves as a barrel strut- stiffens and accurizes the pipe.

Either gun will do though, after it's all said and done.