PDA

View Full Version : NEA poll ~ just received a call

huntercf
01-09-2013, 5:24 PM
I just received a call from a polling agency that was conducting a study for the NEA. It asked questions like opinions of Biden & 0bama and it asked about supporting new gun laws and arming teachers.

Yes I am a teacher and I encourage all teachers on here to take the poll if you are called.

If you need to know my responses here they are:

Do you support more gun laws, less or stay the same: Less

Do you support ban on magazines more than 10 rds: No

Do you support putting armed guards in schools: Yes

Do you support providing training and allowing teachers to carry at work: Yes

There were a few more but you get the idea.

SWalt
01-09-2013, 5:31 PM
So now the NEA is getting into it? I hope there are more teachers like you!

sunborder
01-09-2013, 5:55 PM
The NEA HAS been into it.

And there are LOTS of teachers like him. I'm one of them. I know at least a dozen more, and those are just the ones who will speak up about it. A lot more are reluctant to discuss it given the general attitude in most educational settings towards speaking your mind on contentious issues.

sunborder
01-09-2013, 5:55 PM

And there are LOTS of teachers like him. I'm one of them. I know at least a dozen more, and those are just the ones who will speak up about it. A lot more are reluctant to discuss it given the general attitude in most educational settings towards speaking your mind on contentious issues.

dfletcher
01-09-2013, 6:08 PM
^^
I suspect you folks are in the minority and sometime soon (probably right after NRA leaves their meeting) the VP will soberly announce that "professional educators" support an AW ban.

huntercf
01-09-2013, 6:12 PM
I have yet to meet a teacher who is totally anti-gun, I think they probably take a look at me and think it best to keep their mouth shut. I have taken several teachers and administrators out shooting and a couple of them went out and bought a gun or 6. I've had quite a few who said they don't like the idea of having all teachers carry at school (because there is always a few nut jobs) but it makes sense to have some teachers armed.

Kodemonkey
01-09-2013, 6:23 PM
My wife would carry to school if she were allowed to.

I met up with an ultra-liberal teacher (I mean he literally worked on John Kerry's campaign - that liberal) and took him trap shooting for the first time a few weeks ago. Although he still doesn't believe anyone should own an AR pattern rifle, he doesn't have a problem with teachers carrying as long as there is a permit process.

That's a HUGE leap from this guy. I guess he was able to put himself in the situation and come to the conclusion that it's better to have some recourse in an active shooter situation.

He had a great time shooting trap by the way, and asked me how much a shotgun cost, what kind of handgun is best (hahaha). I may be helping him select a handgun in the near future.

SWalt
01-09-2013, 6:25 PM

It could be my viewing habits, but I haven't heard any news channels with a story along the lines of "A new poll by the NEA shows 4 out of 5 teachers support more gun control" or something similar to that. I assumed this poll is attempting to do that.

huntercf
01-09-2013, 6:41 PM
It could be my viewing habits, but I haven't heard any news channels with a story along the lines of "A new poll by the NEA shows 4 out of 5 teachers support more gun control" or something similar to that. I assumed this poll is attempting to do that.

I would imagine it might, I just received the call tonight so it will probably be a few days or a week for that info to be sent out. I'm just hoping that my fellow teachers take the survey and it isn't skewed to the left wrong direction.

SWalt
01-09-2013, 6:51 PM
I have yet to meet a teacher who is totally anti-gun, I think they probably take a look at me and think it best to keep their mouth shut. I have taken several teachers and administrators out shooting and a couple of them went out and bought a gun or 6. I've had quite a few who said they don't like the idea of having all teachers carry at school (because there is always a few nut jobs) but it makes sense to have some teachers armed.

Not being a teacher, I think they should be allowed to but......if they are allowed to carry they should have to have some training including tactical scenarios in the school they are in. Maybe 3 times during the school year. It can be from how to close and secure your door and wait while protecting your children to how to seek cover and concealment to what to expect LE to do and how to recognize LE. Many different things could go into it, but if a teacher is allowed to carry in the class room, I'd rather they have some training.

The 1 PS teacher I know barely allows her husband to own guns. I have known both most of my life. She would get rid of them in a second if she had a chance.

valkylrie
01-09-2013, 6:56 PM
Another teacher here, who supports the idea. If called I will participate.

victor1echo
01-09-2013, 6:56 PM
The NEA will join the gun grabbers in the end. They help get these dbags elected who pull this crap.

cmacjvan
01-09-2013, 7:11 PM
I have been a teacher and 2A advocate for 40 years; also a Republican,which puts me in the minority. I have a CCW and would carry at work.