PDA

View Full Version : Coating question?

wash
08-28-2007, 6:57 PM
I need to coat a few rifles.

I have seen some duracoat and I have seen parts done by ARS (I think they call it metacol). I don't like them, the coating seems too thick, too soft and the ARS stuff seems to flake very easily.

I really like the old "stoving" that you find on some 60's surplus rifles. That stuff survived 40 years of fairly hard use, it still sticks to the metal and it's durable.

What is the closest modern equivalent to "stoving"?

I have heard good things about gunkote but I have never seen a finished piece and I don't have the setup to bake it on.

Is there any one close to silicon valley that does gunkote? What about parkerizing?

I don't like to send out my stuff, I just don't trust the post office very much and I hate dealing with problems at long distance.

Can someone help me out?

taloft
08-28-2007, 7:27 PM
If you're primarily looking for durability it is hard to beat parkerizing. I'm in So. Cal. so I'll let someone else chime in as to locations.

wash
08-28-2007, 7:39 PM
I want to do a coating over parkerizing, two layers of protection.

Park is fine, but I don't consider it durable. One good scratch and the base metal will start to rust. Adding a coating can help it slip instead of scratch also.

Coatings seem easier to clean and I don't worry about it starting to rust like a parked or blued part.

metalhead357
08-29-2007, 5:45 PM
I aint tried Duracoat but many love it.

I have tried Alumahyde II and it works well...and no oven; it DOES take a while to not just *dry*...it will do that fast...but IIRC it takes about a week to really harden up to truly be *mostly* impermiable.

Brownells Gunkote works REALLY well...but you do have to realllllllllllllly pay attention to the prep process of bead blasting and degreasing or it can flake....but if done right its pretty dang good stuff. Remeber to spray LIGHTLY and do multiple coats...............this one IS oven cured........