PDA

View Full Version : Can the police confiscate guns after a house fire?

Socalpumpballer
01-09-2013, 5:25 PM
A buddy of mine unfortunately had his apartment catch fire last year. When the fire was put out they found that the fire had not made it past his bedroom door. From what he told me, the fire fighters told the police officer that they saw guns in the room. At which point the officer confiscated the guns. He got a receipt for them but was the confiscation justified in anyway? He and his family were there that could have easily taken them but the officer claimed that she had to take them and that she didnt believe they were legal and that he needed proof of purchase.

The guns were a ca legal AR & mossberg 500

I have a feeling that they are going to give him the runaround and its going to cost him money he doesnt have to get these guns released.

a308garand
01-09-2013, 5:31 PM
Tell your friend, "Go the the police agency and demand your firearms."

It sounds like the firearms were initially taken for "safe keeping". Have the detective handling the case get off the ball and get them back to your friend.

Long guns are not entered into the system unless they were registered voluntarily (assault weapon, stolen, lost, etc.), so the agency is going to have a hard time tracking them down easily. A paper trail from the manufacturer to the point they were sold to your friend will take some time.

Without knowing details, its hard to give exact advice. The easiest thing to do is get the paperwork done to get the firearms back. Don't let it slide.

scarville
01-09-2013, 5:37 PM
The police can take your guns pretty much anytime they want to.

http://www.gunlaw.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35

NiteQwill
01-09-2013, 5:42 PM
Tell your friend to contact CGF now. Not later, not tomorrow, NOW.

Ron-Solo
01-09-2013, 5:42 PM
Tell your friend, "Go the the police agency and demand your firearms."

It sounds like the firearms were initially taken for "safe keeping". Have the detective handling the case get off the ball and get them back to your friend.

Long guns are not entered into the system unless they were registered voluntarily (assault weapon, stolen, lost, etc.), so the agency is going to have a hard time tracking them down easily. A paper trail from the manufacturer to the point they were sold to your friend will take some time.

Without knowing details, its hard to give exact advice. The easiest thing to do is get the paperwork done to get the firearms back. Don't let it slide.

This!

And, IBTL. It always happens in these threads

LMTluvr
01-09-2013, 5:44 PM
Disregard

LMTluvr
01-09-2013, 5:45 PM
Never mind.

epilepticninja
01-09-2013, 5:47 PM
Another reason to have a safe. Protects the contents; keeps the dirtbags away from your weapons; and doesn't give law enforcement any reason to take possession of them if you are not around.

sandman21
01-09-2013, 5:48 PM
You should read the OP. The renter was there and the guns were confiscated because she thought they were illegal. Someone post the contact information for CGF, I cant. Your friend should contact them for help

Librarian
01-09-2013, 5:52 PM
No reason I can tell to delete the thread, but best advice is get a lawyer - nothing we can do for the OP from here.

Socalpumpballer, when this is settled, please come back and tell us how it worked out.