PDA

View Full Version : How to go about getting a Big5 Sks

Bluesteak
01-09-2013, 3:54 PM
I read some older threads that said you could ask a Big5 to have another location transfer an SKS to your location via searching stock on their computer.
Is this true?
I have a couple Big5 gift cards and want an sks

TMB 1
01-09-2013, 4:04 PM
It wasn't a sks but I've had them offer to do that for me before.

Capybara
01-09-2013, 4:15 PM
They did it for me, a nice Yugo 59/66. But you should know that the SKU for SKSs is dead, they no longer have them as a stocking item. You may get lucky and still find one in a store, but they are officially out of the SKS business according to my local Big 5 manager, the guy who hunted this one down.

Good luck.

Bluesteak
01-09-2013, 4:37 PM
They did it for me, a nice Yugo 59/66. But you should know that the SKU for SKSs is dead, they no longer have them as a stocking item. You may get lucky and still find one in a store, but they are officially out of the SKS business according to my local Big 5 manager, the guy who hunted this one down.

Good luck.

Damn, the price would be really affordable if I could track one down :D

Thanks

Bobby Ricigliano
01-09-2013, 5:58 PM
I have a Yugo SKS that was minty new in the grease purchased at Big 5.

You would have done just well to get one of the Yugos Turners had last week. They were definitely refurbs but very nice.

Bobby Ricigliano
01-09-2013, 5:58 PM

You would have done just well to get one of the Yugos Turners had last week. They were definitely refurbs but very nice.

Bluesteak
01-09-2013, 6:01 PM

Thats the catch, I have $125 in gift cards. I don't NEED one but at 125 off I would buy one

Rider1k
01-09-2013, 6:11 PM
asked my big 5 and they told me good luck.

EM2
01-09-2013, 6:13 PM
I didn't think we were shopping @ Big5 anymore?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=659313
I stopped by BIG 5 today in Burbank to stock up on some 7.62x39 bought the last 3 boxes (all the .22 was cleared out!) I noticed they had several AR's in stock, some Mini 14's amongst some other fine rifles (some even on sale!)

I asked if they were selling like crazy and they told me YES, and that today would be the last day as BIG 5 is pulling all Assault Weapon rifles off their shelves today, no more!

Then I drove to Glendale to clean up a few more boxes of ammo, and the guy there said the same thing, that BIG 5 will stop selling AR's, Mini 14's, etc as of today.

TMB 1
01-09-2013, 7:59 PM
I didn't think we were shopping @ Big5 anymore?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=659313

Wow I didn't know that I thought they just sold out of everything.

captainsavaho
01-09-2013, 8:09 PM
Lil off topic but what is the difference between Big 5 yugo sks and turners yugo m59 ?? And which one would you guys consider better all around.

kantstudien
01-09-2013, 8:36 PM
Get a M&P 15-22. You need to ask specifically for them, I went in to buy some ammo and asked about them and the manager said they pulled all the centerfire EBRs except for rimfires. But they keep the scary-looking rimfires "in the back."

jazzmatazz
01-09-2013, 9:31 PM

Good luck.

That's what they told me too about the SKU when I was searching last summer.

RED VASQUEZ
01-09-2013, 9:44 PM
I should have bought 4 or 5 of those Big 5 SKSs when I had the chance, doesn't look like they're coming back even without all the political bs. @Bluestreak, you might be better served putting your gift cards toward a mosin or model 60, or just buying up as much ammo as you can get.

TheYellowDart
01-10-2013, 6:25 AM
I should have bought 4 or 5 of those Big 5 SKSs when I had the chance, doesn't look like they're coming back even without all the political bs. @Bluestreak, you might be better served putting your gift cards toward a mosin or model 60, or just buying up as much ammo as you can get.

+1

I'd just get a different rifle from big5. Check the "deals and sales" thread for extra coupons.

A coupon plus a sale price will really stretch that $125 gift card. I was able to pickup a Mosin for only $89 that way just a few months ago.

Also, I wouldn't buy the ammo there, its way overpriced, just check slickguns.com for ammo deals and order online. You'll have to wait a few weeks for the backorder to come in but it'll be at half the price of what Big5 charges.

NOTABIKER
01-10-2013, 8:20 AM
Lil off topic but what is the difference between Big 5 yugo sks and turners yugo m59 ?? And which one would you guys consider better all around.

i recently bought one of the turners type 56 SKSs. the wood was dirty and it had to many dings in it . no cracks or rust. it fired flawlessly. i just could not love this rifle. it was a very low SER # and matching.
i already have a new YUGO 59/66A1 SKS . i chose to keep the YUGO and i sold the Chinese- Albanian SKS. i keep one example of something to shoot, not interested in safe queens.

captainsavaho
01-10-2013, 9:51 AM
i recently bought one of the turners type 56 SKSs. the wood was dirty and it had to many dings in it . no cracks or rust. it fired flawlessly. i just could not love this rifle. it was a very low SER # and matching.
i already have a new YUGO 59/66A1 SKS . i chose to keep the YUGO and i sold the Chinese- Albanian SKS. i keep one example of something to shoot, not interested in safe queens.

I've seen Yugo 59/66 @ Big 5 that looks like it was never issued and it was darn beautiful!! Refurb or unissued ?

Calplinker
01-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I've seen Yugo 59/66 @ Big 5 that looks like it was never issued and it was darn beautiful!! Refurb or unissued ?

I have one of these too that I got from Big 5 a few years back on a Black Friday sale for $279. Gun looks absolutely brand new without so much as a scratch or ding in the stock. Whole thing was caked with Cosmoline.

Having said that, my understanding is these are arsenal refurb's and not necessarily unissued.

Personally, I didn't really care as I bought it to shoot, not look at. Since then, it's seen about 1000 rounds or more down the pipe. ;)

Trick for me was to politely ask for them to bring out each one they had in stock so I could see it. First two or three were typical and looked beat up. The last one was minty.