PDA

View Full Version : liberals that do not know they are liberals

NOTABIKER
01-09-2013, 11:09 AM
i am starting to see a lot of posts around from people that listen to NPR or watch Letterman etc .That are fine with this programing until they see something they do not like about GUNS. DAAAAAA
if you listen to NPR and think it is fair you have a problem.:confused:

P.Charm
01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't listen to NPR.

soopafly
01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
You're looking at it the wrong way. Think of it more along the lines of "gathering intel."

We know for a fact LCAV and other anti's look at this forum. Does that make them pro-gun? No.

SGT Loco
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
When the only available news sources are various propaganda machines, it's best to watch more than one. If you only watch FOX, you're just as ignorant as someone who only watches NPR or MSNBC.

skilletboy
01-09-2013, 11:37 AM
When the only available news sources are various propaganda machines, it's best to watch more than one. If you only watch FOX, you're just as ignorant as someone who only watches NPR or MSNBC.

I'm convinced that most of the media, especailly Fox News and MSNBC, is not news and nothing more than political rhetoric. Injure your brain at your own risk with those guys. They're part of the main problem.

NOTABIKER
01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
the day after the election i tuned out. no more talk radio or news [ Hollywood], just being on these gun sites i get what i need for info.if i think to much about the path this country is taking i will just get to depressed. it does not have to happen but it is going to happen. i am 65 so the younger ones will live threw the disaster coming.

kaligaran
01-09-2013, 12:00 PM
I listen to multiple media outlets. Mostly in the car or online. I don't watch much news.

I agree that the statement of getting your news from one source only is a bad idea. Regardless of the source.

Wherryj
01-09-2013, 1:37 PM
You're looking at it the wrong way. Think of it more along the lines of "gathering intel."

We know for a fact LCAV and other anti's look at this forum. Does that make them pro-gun? No.

I can't stomach those programs, but I do have a subscription to current TV's emails. It's partially to gather intel, but mostly because their "reports" are such hyperbole that they are genuinely entertaining-in a "horrific accident involving 3 'short' busses" sort of way.

manuelcardenas77
01-09-2013, 7:06 PM
So you only get your info from here... And NPR listeners have a problem... LMFAO btw I don't listen to NPR

Scott Connors
01-09-2013, 7:14 PM

+1. The only news source that I avoid is MSNBC.

Gem1950
01-09-2013, 7:31 PM
Some of you will be harping on "liberals" all the way to full blown confiscation. Better figure out a way to educate them before it's too late so they can understand that our concerns are there concerns and vice versa - i.e. freedom from tyranny.

It is interesting to note that the mentality of what we call the “right” and the “left” has not changed since the beginning of human political thought and interaction. People have a funny way of using selective awareness in ignoring that fact whether they consider themselves conservative or liberal. What both sides also tend to ignore during 2A arguments is that the Constitution was/is not a conservative document and that the opponents of its creation were not liberals!

Moonshine
01-09-2013, 7:55 PM
I'm gonna chime in with something here: someone's beliefs about the second amendment do not necessarily reflect their broader political views.

For example, it is possible for someone to believe in gay marriage and public healthcare while at the same time believing in the second amendment. As gun owners we can all agree that the democratic process is the rule of the land; however we also agree that the 2nd amendment ultimately safeguards that process from being usurped.

When guns are banned/confiscated it is a direct attack on freedom regardless of ones opinion on a specific issue. I do NOT trust a government that monopolizes the legal possession of weapons.

MudCamper
01-09-2013, 8:12 PM
someone's beliefs about the second amendment do not necessarily reflect their broader political views.

Nail on head. But this can be difficult for many on both the left and the right to comprehend.

njineermike
01-09-2013, 8:20 PM
I'm gonna chime in with something here: someone's beliefs about the second amendment do not necessarily reflect their broader political views.

For example, it is possible for someone to believe in gay marriage and public healthcare while at the same time believing in the second amendment. As gun owners we can all agree that the democratic process is the rule of the land; however we also agree that the 2nd amendment ultimately safeguards that process from being usurped.

When guns are banned/confiscated it is a direct attack on freedom regardless of ones opinion on a specific issue. I do NOT trust a government that monopolizes the legal possession of weapons.

The "democratic process" is not the rule of the land. We live in a constitutional republic. Democracy is 51% of the people deciding to trample the freedoms of the other 49%, and voting to do so. A constitutional republic is 51% of the people voting to trample the rights of the 49%, but being prevented by a law saying they can't.

DCVR
01-10-2013, 1:29 AM
Mainstream news media is nothing more than 'reality TV' (not unlike Jersey Shore)... the only problem is that there are quite a number of people out there that take it seriously, rather than what it really is: mindless entertainment.

GPJunkie
01-10-2013, 3:47 AM
Well I consider myself a liberal, but when the Obama campaign would ask for my opinions on issues I would always put honoring the 2nd Amendment at the top of the list, as well as getting "wiretaps" back under control of the Judiciary and respecting Habeas Corpus. Maybe my opinions are in a minority among my fellow Calgun'ers, but on the other hand perhaps there's a small chance that Dems are more likely to listen to voices inside their camp that value the Bill of Rights than voices they perceive automatically as "enemy". I contribute monthly to CGF too, so that can't be all bad, can it? ;^)

prkprisoner
01-10-2013, 4:45 AM
We've all been fooled into the two party system. There is a wide spectrum of political beliefs that have been dumbed down into two choices R or D. There is not much difference between the two main parties. They both want your money and they both want bigger govt.

donny douchebag
01-10-2013, 4:52 AM
How about gun nuts that don't know they're gun nuts? Do you think they contribute to the problem?

Southwest Chuck
01-10-2013, 5:13 AM
the day after the election i tuned out. no more talk radio or news [ Hollywood], just being on these gun sites i get what i need for info.if i think to much about the path this country is taking i will just get to depressed. it does not have to happen but it is going to happen. i am 65 so the younger ones will live threw the disaster coming.

I feel your pain and I'm just a young 58 year old wipper-snapper!

i am 65 so the younger ones will live threw through the disaster coming.

I have two sons in college that are very aware of what they're facing in the future and are pissed!

Gem1950
01-10-2013, 6:59 AM

^ ^ ^ Excellent!

NOTABIKER
01-10-2013, 7:53 AM
Some of you will be harping on "liberals" all the way to full blown confiscation. Better figure out a way to educate them before it's too late so they can understand that our concerns are there concerns and vice versa - i.e. freedom from tyranny.

It is interesting to note that the mentality of what we call the “right” and the “left” has not changed since the beginning of human political thought and interaction. People have a funny way of using selective awareness in ignoring that fact whether they consider themselves conservative or liberal. What both sides also tend to ignore during 2A arguments is that the Constitution was/is not a conservative document and that the opponents of its creation were not liberals!

you can lead a liberal to logic but you can't make them think.

NOTABIKER
01-10-2013, 7:55 AM
So you only get your info from here... And NPR listeners have a problem... LMFAO btw I don't listen to NPR

on the internet, not mainstream media.

NOTABIKER
01-10-2013, 7:56 AM
How about gun nuts that don't know they're gun nuts? Do you think they contribute to the problem?
not at all

soopafly
01-10-2013, 9:07 AM

The answer to that question is completely dependent on one's own definition of what a "gun nut" is, exactly.

56Chevy
01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
If there was a Calguns radio station I'd listen to it, as it's hard to browse the forum while I'm driving.:p

1859sharps
01-10-2013, 1:56 PM
whole lot more people do NOT fit neatly into purely "liberal" or "conservative" than do.

purely conservative is just as bad as purely liberal. both seem to have this need to restrict the liberty of others. all the while viewing them self as the "white knight" out to save us all. and both struggle with opposing views and different ideas.

Objectively speaking...

Liberalism has brought some good thing to the table. we all like our 40 hour work week and weekends for example. and they champion some civil rights, but not others.

Conservatives (real ones) bring us small government, strong defense, an fiscal responsibility. and they champion some civil rights, but not others.

But both given too much power WILL trample civil rights that they disagree with and not lose any sleep over the damage done and lives destroyed.

our hope really isn't with one camp or the other, but organizing and getting the great "horde" in the middle active again.

jdouglass
01-10-2013, 2:56 PM
whole lot more people do NOT fit neatly into purely "liberal" or "conservative" than do.

purely conservative is just as bad as purely liberal. both seem to have this need to restrict the liberty of others. all the while viewing them self as the "white knight" out to save us all. and both struggle with opposing views and different ideas.

^^^THIS

I consider myself a liberal who loves guns. Maybe that makes me a moderate, I don't know. I usually vote Democrat unless they have proven themselves to be a complete idiot (Fienstein), in which case I don't vote at all since even though I might agree with Republicans more on guns I can't in good conscience vote for them when I disagree with them on so many other issues.

I think the best thing we can do is try to make gun rights a bipartisan cause, they certainly should be. People on both sides of the issue should have calm intelligent INFORMATIVE discussions. Befriend a willfully ignorant liberal and invite him to the range to show him what those "scary black guns" are really all about. Up until a few years ago I had never shot a gun and thought there should be a lot more gun control. All it took for me to do a complete 180 was to just spend a little more time around gun enthusiasts, take a handgun class, and ultimately, start owning my own guns. Now I love them and are no longer scary to me. Minds can be changed. We just need to approach people the right way without holding their other political beliefs against them.

guntntteacher
01-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Liberalism has brought some good thing to the table. we all like our 40 hour work week and weekends for example. and they champion some civil rights, but not others.

Enlighten me which civil rights and 40 hour work week? better look that one up.

KON5T
01-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Liberals are not what they were when I was young. I used to be proud to be a liberal, now i would rather cut my balls off than admit to it.

Liberals used to be people who believed in liberty and the ability of a person to decide their own fate and faith.

Modern "liberals" believe you have to think their way or you are the enemy, which stops them being liberals and places them in with the neocons and the ultra right.

**** liberals, I am a libertarian, and proud.

Delfuego
01-11-2013, 12:34 AM
^^^THIS

I consider myself a liberal who loves guns. Maybe that makes me a moderate, I don't know. I usually vote Democrat unless they have proven themselves to be a complete idiot (Fienstein), in which case I don't vote at all since even though I might agree with Republicans more on guns I can't in good conscience vote for them when I disagree with them on so many other issues.

I think the best thing we can do is try to make gun rights a bipartisan cause, they certainly should be. People on both sides of the issue should have calm intelligent INFORMATIVE discussions. Befriend a willfully ignorant liberal and invite him to the range to show him what those "scary black guns" are really all about. Up until a few years ago I had never shot a gun and thought there should be a lot more gun control. All it took for me to do a complete 180 was to just spend a little more time around gun enthusiasts, take a handgun class, and ultimately, start owning my own guns. Now I love them and are no longer scary to me. Minds can be changed. We just need to approach people the right way without holding their other political beliefs against them.

I consider myself a very Conservative Democrat and I dislike many things that both parities stand for. But, I also disagree with republicans on a lot more issues too. For the record, I think Feinstein & Boxer need to go. Now, this gun banning issue does need to transcend both parties to become a bipartisan issue. Over the past 10 months I have had three families become gun enthusiasts. It was simple, I took them out shooting, they liked it, and they become gun owners. Two of them were Democrats, and one was Republican. Instead of belligerently spewing, "over my dead body" rhetoric, we should make all first gun purchases pass through a background check and demand that we not have to go through that for future purchases. As for the mental health issue and gun ownership, how the heck could that be accomplished? The 10 round magazine cap seems like a slam dunk right now. It won't affect us in California because it is already the law. To be honest, I don't care about that. What I do care about is banning weapons that the gun control advocates consider assault weapons. Here we need to EDUCATE! I am not sure how, I'm working on it. Anyway, if it came down to it, I would advocate the following:

1. Register all new handgun purchases (already CA law)
2. Register all new rifle purchases (already CA law)
3. 10 round magazine cap (already CA law)
4. Huge penalty for kids or mentally unstable members of your family using your weapons in a crime unless they breach a safe, gun cabinet, etc.. (already CA law?)
5. Mentally unstable not allowed to own guns (rifle or handgun). My problem with this is that I currently do not know of any way to handle this. Would we start a national database? Then, which conditions would be included? Finally, some people can live their whole life and never be diagnosed with anything when they should have.
6. Allow CCW in all states with some training.
7. Continue to allow online ammo sales.
8. Must be a U.S. citizen to own a gun.
9. Domestic violence offenders not allowed to own a gun.
10. Metal detectors at all schools.

PatrickRyan
01-11-2013, 12:47 AM
I listen to NPR, Fox News Radio, I watch CNN, msnbc, Fox, I read NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and I vote however I want to vote. You don't have to adhere to a certain brand of media because you agree with the things they say. I like hearing all sorts of different opinions and then formulate my own views independent of whatever "leaning" or "allegiance" the source may or may not have. And besides, NPR has jazz hour.

KON5T
01-11-2013, 12:52 AM
double post

KON5T
01-11-2013, 12:52 AM
I consider myself a very Conservative Democrat and I dislike many things that both parities stand for. But, I also disagree with republicans on a lot more issues too. For the record, I think Feinstein & Boxer need to go. Now, this gun banning issue does need to transcend both parties to become a bipartisan issue. Over the past 10 months I have had three families become gun enthusiasts. It was simple, I took them out shooting, they liked it, and they become gun owners. Two of them were Democrats, and one was Republican. Instead of belligerently spewing, "over my dead body" rhetoric, we should make all first gun purchases pass through a background check and demand that we not have to go through that for future purchases. As for the mental health issue and gun ownership, how the heck could that be accomplished? The 10 round magazine cap seems like a slam dunk right now. It won't affect us in California because it is already the law. To be honest, I don't care about that. What I do care about is banning weapons that the gun control advocates consider assault weapons. Here we need to EDUCATE! I am not sure how, I'm working on it. Anyway, if it came down to it, I would advocate the following:

4. Huge penalty for kids or mentally unstable members of your family using your weapons in a crime unless they breach a safe, gun cabinet, etc.. (already CA law?)
5. Mentally unstable not allowed to own guns (rifle or handgun). My problem with this is that I currently do not know of any way to handle this. Would we start a national database? Then, which conditions would be included? Finally, some people can live their whole life and never be diagnosed with anything when they should have.

Why 8? are foreigners children of a lesser god and not subject to american law?

strlen
01-11-2013, 1:37 AM
Yep, this is completely against the constitution: other than when it comes to voting (at federal level, some localities allow non-citizens to vote), non-citizens enjoy the same rights as everyone else.

That includes the right bear arms, both individually and as a part of the armed forces. Furthermore, they can must register for Selective Service and can be conscripted into the armed forces. I was a non-citizen when I registered for SS at 18, at around the same time as 9/11 -- so serving was actually a possibility.

I think it's only fair that if someone can be given an M16 and be told to fight overseas, than they should have every right to get an AR15 to punch holes in paper (presuming they're in the country legally and are otherwise not prohibited).

Why 8? are foreigners children of a lesser god and not subject to american law?

Delfuego
01-12-2013, 4:12 AM
Yep, this is completely against the constitution: other than when it comes to voting (at federal level, some localities allow non-citizens to vote), non-citizens enjoy the same rights as everyone else.

That includes the right bear arms, both individually and as a part of the armed forces. Furthermore, they can must register for Selective Service and can be conscripted into the armed forces. I was a non-citizen when I registered for SS at 18, at around the same time as 9/11 -- so serving was actually a possibility.

I think it's only fair that if someone can be given an M16 and be told to fight overseas, than they should have every right to get an AR15 to punch holes in paper (presuming they're in the country legally and are otherwise not prohibited).

It would give legal residents a reason to become citizens.

The Shadow
01-12-2013, 4:51 AM
I do not need to go to liberal news sources to hear what liberals think. Fox News provides a sufficient supply of liberals to keep me up to speed.

cYCUe0OczNM

Bob Beckel

e33FCOnkA2U

Alan Colmes

6uZXqgVgqYc

Al Sharpton

MUKAK
01-12-2013, 6:23 AM
thats why i dont watch FOX or MSNBC

2 retarted channels... erased from my DISH MENU.. polluting ppls brains with nonsense

SanPedroShooter
01-12-2013, 7:26 AM

Why would inflict our stupid and arbitrary rules on the rest of the country?

Are you sure meant to use word 'advocate'?

When the police start using ten round magazines, so will I. And registration ALWAYS leads to eventual confiscation. Its the route evil of all gun control. You must register and track any item to be able to regulate it. In this case, regulate out of existence. Registration should be opposed at all costs, up to and including civil disobedience. I will point out that only around 10% of california gun owners registered their 'assault weapons'. Good for them.

There is huge mass of the gun owning population in free and less free states that might object to a 'conservative democrat' advocating for dragging them down to our level. And a standard magazine ban is no 'slam dunk'. Not even close. You can thank the Republican House for that.

And I listen to NPR all day. No commercials.

2009_gunner
01-12-2013, 7:57 AM
I listen to NPR because "conservative" talk show hosts insist on raising their voice to make their points. At least NPR hosts don't yell. However, I do disagree with the liberal bias of NPR; It hardly brainwashes me.

1859sharps
01-12-2013, 8:40 AM
Enlighten me which civil rights and 40 hour work week? better look that one up.

the first amendment for starters. I don't see many conservatives going the distance and taking a stand for the 1st that many liberals have and will. MOST conservatives I encounter, they are ready to tear up the 1st because of things they see as maybe objectionable. they have the same attitude towards the 1st, that the left has to the 2nd. I can't see why someone would want to watch/read/say X, so lets ban it.

and it wasn't for unions (by definition a mostly liberal concept) we probably would not have some of the really nice worker protections we have today.

I long ago stopped seeing one side or the other as all good, or all evil. Life experience has taught me, both are to be watched closely. Both have brought good, and both have brought bad and both are not just capable of , but actively try and trample my civil and human rights.

Gem1950
01-12-2013, 8:51 AM
I don't listen to NPR.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=676779