PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! - Need help ensuring my safety at work right now

Charger13
01-09-2013, 1:28 AM
Mods: Please delete this thread, it seems to have gone way off topic, and i may have put it in the wrong place to begin with, and in any case i think i've found my answer on my own.

badicedog
01-09-2013, 1:39 AM
I recommend that you first calm down. You are psyching yourself out, so calm down a bit. I wouldn't go looking for trouble, keep calm and DO NOT do something stupid like bring a gun to work. Has he threatened your life? He sounds like a punk! If it makes you feel safe get a taser or peper spray. Lethal force is no joke! It's just my humble opinion since I'm not in your shoes. Personally I would just stand up to him and tell him to go F himself. Fear tends to attract guys like this more often.

glock21fan
01-09-2013, 1:40 AM
Get a taser c2. They are available at turners or the like. I can attest that a taser will put you down. I'm a big dude 6'1 270 and I was shot with one in training. It put me on my a*s It's a long 5 second ride and the c2 is 30 seconds. If you have to use it and its damaged send the report to taser international and they will replace it for free. Or if the attacker takes it after you get away. Pepper spray is good but often times conditions aren't right to apply it out doors. Usually a breeze will cause it to effect you too. Also if this dude has done any time in jail he would be used to it and most people can fight through it if they have any surge of adrenaline. So get a taser and get familiar with its function. Do not waste money on the taser knockoffs or stun guns. They are cheap for a reason and could very likely make things worse by just pissing off an attacker. I would also invest in a good alarm system with the pager remote and proximity sensor at least then you get a alert in your pocket if anything goes on with your car. And maintain situational awareness have your keys ready to go and park in a well lit area.

stix213
01-09-2013, 1:44 AM
Taser C2. I zapped my own hand with mine (stun gun mode), and it seemed pretty darn effective. I don't recommend that you do that yourself. I EDC one at all times.

Start putting your resume out there

Park in front of the building where everyone can see your vehicle from inside.

badicedog
01-09-2013, 1:44 AM
Oh BTW, welcome to Calguns... :)

glock21fan
01-09-2013, 1:53 AM
@stix213. It's a humbling sensation isn't it? I love mine and my x26.

glock21fan
01-09-2013, 2:00 AM

MattyB
01-09-2013, 2:06 AM
Get another job! No seriously, a taser is pretty effective.

I havent enjoyed the new style with flying electrodes just a stun gun but even they are nasty.

I have taken a full face of the bear can style pepper spray (looks like a can of Aqua Net with a red trigger guard). I can guarantee that I would have ZERO chance of persuing you after being hit with a full blast.

Beyond that, what really bothers me if your fear of this guy. In our civilized society we tend to ignore or lessen the fear response we are born with. If this guy really scares you, DONT GO TO WORK TOMORROW! Seriously, if you feel your life may be put in danger because of this person, DONT GO! Your job is not worth your life.

I highly suggest calling your manager in the morning well before your shift and let him or her know you do not feel safe at work because of Dish Washer x. Trade some shifts for when its day out (I know lunch doesnt pay the bills but you wont need to if youre XXXX)

I would also get the General Manager involved in the discussion why your name was listed as the manager writing him up. I dont know where you work but I question why I was working at a place where my name could be freely used as the person authorized to discipline employees.

If all that fails and you cant take off work (like your life depends on this job aka you will die without it) and you seriously believe your life is in danger and requires lethal force...

Its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I will let you infer that regarding carrying a firearm.

I am not a lawyer nor do I think anything I told you other than avoiding the situation is advisable.

badicedog
01-09-2013, 2:10 AM
I find this tread a bit "fishy" since it's his 1st post here... Just doesn't smell right to me.

Anchors
01-09-2013, 2:11 AM
+3 on the Taser.
I've never gotten tasered, but I've been stun gunned dozens of times (all in good fun) and even when you get used to it, it still puts you down.
It isn't really a pain/hurting thing. You just tense up and crumple involuntarily haha it actually looks kind of silly when you see it.
As far as I can tell, Taser seems to be the best and most effective electricity based defensive weapon.

glock21fan
01-09-2013, 2:19 AM

donny douchebag
01-09-2013, 3:54 AM
Sad when a modern American male can't change a flat tire.

Sabby
01-09-2013, 4:02 AM
fish bait....

SilverTauron
01-09-2013, 4:08 AM
I recommend a x-fer or quitting the job entirely. Yes, I realize what that means in this economy, but rest assured a CCW wouldnt help you even if you had it processed overnight.

Here's why. Say you legally carry a gun, this guy attacks next time you go to work, and he gets shot. Whoever lives with the jerk will be greatly displeased at his untimely passing and will probably sue you in court for wrongful death. The question the familys bottom feeding lawyer will certainly ask is this: if you felt so threatened, why did you return to work? A "reasonable person" doesn't go someplace where he's certain to experience a fight-unless that's what they wanted. If I shot someone dead under those circumstances I'd probably get the stink eye from the county DA: and I don't live in San Diego.

The best way to win a fight is to not be around for the attack. Not only is that good advice, that's going to be the expectation of any Grand Jury charged with hearing your case.CCW is for when the only option available is lethal force. For you, the exit remains open- and I advise you take it ASAP.

myk
01-09-2013, 4:33 AM
I'm a restaurant manager and throughout my career I've had my tires slashed, car windows broken, death threats made to me, gotten into fights, etc, etc, etc. The bottom line is there isn't much we can do. If you or I get caught with a weapon or take action it's our asses that get cooked, not this new BFF of yours, and you can bet we'd get caught trying to "defend/prepare" ourselves, long before our assailants ever get caught doing anything wrong.

The easiest way to deal with this is to just leave. The fact that your manager was stupid enough to reveal your identity in the handling of this jerk-off tells me that your management team is completely incompetent and just plain idiotic (like most managers, especially restaurant managers are) and you can't depend on them to protect your or deal with the problem employee. You could contact 'HR/upper management but all you'll do is just piss off your managers who will make life difficult for you, and then that cook-jerkoff-dude will still be pissed at you; either way you're in a lose-lose situation.

Start looking for a new job right now, and in the long term start thinking about getting out of minimum-wage work environments, especially restaurants. Those industries are home to the biggest losers on the planet because it takes no education, skills, or class to work those jobs, which is why you'll run into people who have no problem slashing your tires, fighting you, etc. Good luck and uh.....welcome to Calguns?

00Medic
01-09-2013, 5:11 AM
I say you talk to management and tell them they have created a hostile work environment by using your name in another employees discipline. Tell them that you fear the problem employee has now targeted YOU for retribution for their actions, thus making manegment responsible for any retaliatory actions against you. Especially if manegment knew of any problematic history with said employee.

Make the responsibility theirs. (Which it sounds like it is) And if they don't do something about this employee (fire him) they risk the very real possibility of a nice fat law suit.

EM2
01-09-2013, 5:43 AM
I find this tread a bit "fishy" since it's his 1st post here... Just doesn't smell right to me.

Com'on now who wouldn't seek the "urgent" advise of us nice calguns folk at 2:28am? :rolleyes:

tba02
01-09-2013, 7:38 AM
I'm a restaurant manager
<snip>
.. management team is completely incompetent and just plain idiotic (like most managers, especially restaurant managers are)
<snip>
[Restaurants] are home to the biggest losers on the planet because it takes no education, skills, or class to work those jobs,

I'm not sure how to take this one, but I will say that I think you are using a pretty broad paintbrush.

winnre
01-09-2013, 7:50 AM
I used to be a restaurant manager and had an issue with an employee. He'd steal from the till, steal food, and come and go when he wanted. Upper managers said we need to keep him. Turned out he was sleeping with one of them. The guy pulled a knife on me at work one day and also took a swing at me with a hot fryer basket. I called the cops, company decided to not press charges and instead recommended a transfer for ME since I was unable to get along with him.

I quit. Then I got a higher paying position at a competitor the very next day. Thankfully those jobs are plentiful and I could go anywhere. I advice you do the same, just get out of the BS.

And yes, he slashed all 4 of my tires and broke my windows too.

robcoe
01-09-2013, 7:51 AM

One tire is sad, but two were slashed,

Don't know about you but I don't carry multiple spare tires around

As for the OP, like others said, taser c2, never been hit with one, but I work around electricity all the time and HV shocks are a routine job hazard, I can say without any reservation that they will knock someone on their ***, even if they are used to them like I am.

paul0660
01-09-2013, 7:54 AM

Note the timestamp too. Who knows.

PsychGuy274
01-09-2013, 8:22 AM
Even though I have my LTC I still carry THIS (http://pantherstunguns.com/zap-stick-stun-gun-600k.htm) with me most of the time. It's cheap and effective.

Hoooper
01-09-2013, 8:30 AM

glad somebody said it. Im pretty handy, but not handy enough to replace 2 flats with 1 spare

lawaia
01-09-2013, 8:35 AM
Tell your employer that you will file a suit against them if they don't resolve the issue with this violent employee. Management should be there to handle these situations, not hide from them.

Also, follow the other advice to get a taser, park in visible public area, be vigilant, etc.

domino
01-09-2013, 8:47 AM
This wasnt Gordon Ramsey was it - yelling F*%# you in the kitchen.

I would tell management as well and get a new job - carry pepper spray and go take self defense classes. You are in a kitchen - so I assume you carry a set of knives with you? People I know that work in a kitchen have their own set of knives they take to and from work because they are expensive.

baddos
01-09-2013, 9:26 AM
glad somebody said it. Im pretty handy, but not handy enough to replace 2 flats with 1 spare

Man up!

Charger13
01-09-2013, 9:29 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I was a little worked up last night, and mostly pissed off that now I have to go find a new job because my employer mishandled the situation.

I feel like i need to clear up the CCW talk, the only reason I mentioned guns was that knowing that this was a gun centered forum i was bound to get responses like the one above "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" While i do appriciate that poster's concern for my safety that is not the kind of advise I am looking for. but i needed to get answers quick, and it was really late once i got home from dealing with everything, and i know that there are a ton of people on this site so thats why i asked the question here.

Thanks to everyone for their advise, i cant affort the taser C2, if I had 300-400 bucks lying around i just wouldn't go back. unfortunately my mortgage is past due, so i really cant do anything till thats paid. The Zapstick that someone posted is in my price range, but I can only find online retailers, I would like to go buy something today. I dont remember seeing a lot of stun guns at Turners last time I was there, and the ones I did see were at the checkstand alongside the novelty lighters as if they were some kind of toy.

I have no idea where to start looking as far as a physical store, i usually just buy everything online, but I dont want to wait for shipping, and i dont really know what to look for in a stun gun, watts vs volts, if a certain kind of battery is better, etc. It looks like cabelas sells a lot but I dont think we have a cabela's in SD, where should I start looking, a sporting goods store?

And really, the more I think about this the more I think I need to talk to a lawyer about the managment using my name while disciplining another employee.

emtmark
01-09-2013, 9:30 AM
One word.........Roadhouse! Lol :)

BadTech
01-09-2013, 9:50 AM
Tell your employer that you will file a suit against them if they don't resolve the issue with this violent employee. Management should be there to handle these situations, not hide from them.

Also, follow the other advice to get a taser, park in visible public area, be vigilant, etc.

Lodge a complaint immediately with the Calif. Dept. of Fair Employment & Housing (http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/). That gets you into the system for future action.

Then if you get demonstrably threatened, you have something to add to a police report. Create that paper trail. Use the system to your advantage.

Capt.Dunsel
01-09-2013, 10:16 AM
You got his name ? Make his life miserable get a TRO on him , as long as he threatened you you would be good to go.

Then find a new job .

paul0660
01-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Make his life miserable get a TRO on him

The easiest thing in the world is to get a TRO when someone has filed one on you.

So, don't do it unless you need it, because the first thing that happens when you are filed upon is that you must get rid of your guns. Please download and read:

www.courts.ca.gov/documents/dv110.pdf

Wherryj
01-09-2013, 10:29 AM

I can change mine, but like almost all new BMWs mine has no spare. In fact, there's not even a place for a jack in the trunk-just a "mobility kit" (tire pump and tire goo). A slashed tire pretty much assures a call by AAA/BMW assist.

All in the name of "sleeker design" and more trunk room. At least I don't have to deal with "run flats". I'd rather wait for a tow truck than drive on those things.

PackingHeatInSDCA
01-09-2013, 10:33 AM
+1 taser. but they are single shot. also get a can of pepper spray.

you should still do all you can to avoid confrontation, such as look outside before you go out and make sure all clear, etc..

also be sure to check your back seat before getting into your car. that should always be a habit of everyone IMHO, just like looking both ways before proceeding thru a fresh green light. That has prevented me from being t-boned a couple times.

Neil McCauley
01-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Have you tried prayer? jk.... I think situational awareness would help you a lot and like someone else mentioned, look for another job.

EM2
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
So I'm a server at a resturant in San Diego County. When i left work tonight around 1030 I noticed my car didnt look right, after doing a quick walk around i noticed my back right tire was flat, i didnt think much of it because my rear tires are old, so I called AAA, while waiting for the truck to get there i noticed the front right was low too, then i started gettign suspicious. When AAA got there the guy pumped up both tires and we confirmed what i had thought, both had been slashed. I got the police out and filed an incident report.

Originally Posted by donny

Hmmm. looks to me like the OP called AAA then noticed the 2nd flat tire. Seems to me he had no intention of changing the first one before he noticed the second.

paul0660
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Hmmm. looks to me like the OP called AAA then noticed the 2nd flat tire. Seems to me he had no intention of changing the first one before he noticed the second.

I wouldn't change one either, that is what I pay those boys for........in town. Out in the sticks, I have, can, will, and do.

Flipflop
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I would start looking for a new job first, it can't be that great working there given the people you work with.

Then I would tell the cops you are really concerned for your safety.

I would tell the manager that you think it was a mistake for telling the psycho that you complained.

Then I would tell the managers boss what is going on. I know if it were my business I would want to know and I would do something about it. If my manager was making bad choices like that there would be something done about it.

If you can't afford a taser or a stun gun you can get some pepper spray for $10.

Just remember cooler heads prevail.

Personally I would take the guy to small claims court for the tires, It will be a he said she said kind of things but it would be worth it to see him deny it to a judge.

kbenson
01-09-2013, 11:53 AM
I wonder...Since the mgr was "good enough" to provide your name to the accused, would he/she somehow give more information?

If I were you I would do several things (many already mentioned) Park in secure area and notify relatives of your route home.

The following is a YMMV (Since I don't know the legality of this)
But...I would also report the mgr. I don't know if this place is a chain or not, but report him/her to corporate and file a complaint through legal channels if necessary.

You know it's almost like the bully on the school grounds roughing up a parents kid. Some parents would look the other way, some would have the kid fight back or beat up the bullys parents, and some still would send the child to another school (to avoid the bully)
The world today is really different and can get too serious too fast. Use common sense and think b4 u act.

epilepticninja
01-09-2013, 12:05 PM
You have to be more evil than the other dude. That works for me.

paul0660
01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
You have to be more evil than the other dude. That works for me.

It WAS scarier the second time!

DIRTMAN556
01-09-2013, 1:33 PM

Roger that. Smells like bait.

glock21fan
01-09-2013, 2:18 PM
Maybe file a hostile work environment claim too

Hoshnasi
01-09-2013, 2:24 PM
The easiest way to deal with this is to just leave...

Doubt he'll get caught and tires are expensive if this keeps happening.

Not worth it. Leave that JOB and get another one.

No offense to those who have turned jobs into careers, but they are transient in the low bar to entry.

Rickrock1
01-09-2013, 2:38 PM
Learn to fight Weirdo , your a big guy and or have the girls walk you to your car. We are not going to tell you how to arm your self pal.

Charger13
01-09-2013, 2:46 PM
Maybe file a hostile work environment claim too

First thing tomorrow I'm calling the labor board and doing just that. I may also call my bosses boss. Our gm was off yesterday and today and the asst. manager I reported it to yesterday has so far refused to call the GM and let him know what's going on, so I might just call the regional manager and/or HR tomorrow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what retail store to go to to look into a stun gun? 50-80 bucks is my price range. I can afford more than a 10 can of pepper spray, I just can't afford the $400 taser. But I need to get the most stopping power I can get in my price range.

Charger13
01-09-2013, 3:15 PM
Learn to fight Weirdo , your a big guy and or have the girls walk you to your car. We are not going to tell you how to arm your self pal.

You sound like you think this guys gonna be alone if he decides to come at me. thugs dont work like that if he had any ball he just would have come at me one on one, isntead of slashing my tires like a chicken *****. if this guy works up enough balls to come at me hes gonna have a bunch of his homies with him. Sorry if not wanting to get jumped makes me a weirdo.

tba02
01-09-2013, 3:37 PM
OK, I've got to ask, how is this 2A related again?

Brianguy
01-09-2013, 3:40 PM
Have your manager hire me and I'll fire him :)

TheWalkingDead
01-09-2013, 4:13 PM
Let me tell you what happened to my friend. He got his car keyed and knew exactly who did it. So my friend keyed that guys car 5 times worse and broke 2 of his windows. Then left him a little note. There hasn't been a problem since.
Not saying you should do the same but if you're going to leave your company...yea

DRM6000
01-09-2013, 4:19 PM
About calling AAA, I would too if I suspected a hostile co-worker did that at work. It would be a great time to get ambushed when you're working on changing the spare.

Tmckinney
01-09-2013, 4:32 PM
Why do it myself with the little bitty pain in the *** jack when someone else will do it for men free? Why let pride get in the way? Pride yourself on being smart enough and rich enough to have aaa.

RandyD
01-09-2013, 4:42 PM
There is a lot of good advice in the above posts. I would ask for a meeting with your manager and his immediate supervisor. During that meeting, I would inform them that they compromised your safety by using your name and it is not a coincidence that two of your tires were slashed after your coworker was disciplined. Have some constructive suggestions to provide. I would ask them to transfer the coworker and that they compensate you for your two slashed tires. If they won't transfer the coworker, request a special parking space in a place that is highly visible to prevent further vandalism. If that is not an option, then I would park your car a couple of blocks away from the restaurant in an area that someone would not consider looking for your car, and if you need to do that, demand that your coworker remain on the premises until you are in your car and driving away. If your management will not listen to you, send me a PM, I am an attorney, and can write a letter to your corporate headquarters on your behalf.

BTW, I have AAA, and if I have a flat tire, I would call them to change a tire. I pay a premium for their service and see no reason to not use a service that I am entitled to use.

Welcome to Calguns

brandon1234
01-09-2013, 5:03 PM
Spit in his food!!!

Capt.Dunsel
01-09-2013, 6:13 PM
First thing tomorrow I'm calling the labor board and doing just that. I may also call my bosses boss. Our gm was off yesterday and today and the asst. manager I reported it to yesterday has so far refused to call the GM and let him know what's going on, so I might just call the regional manager and/or HR tomorrow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what retail store to go to to look into a stun gun? 50-80 bucks is my price range. I can afford more than a 10 can of pepper spray, I just can't afford the $400 taser. But I need to get the most stopping power I can get in my price range.

2 rolls of quarters in a tube sock? make a handy item since your going to do laundry :D

welchy
01-09-2013, 6:51 PM
OK, I've got to ask, how is this 2A related again?

Seriously. How has this not been moved yet? :sleeping:

DRM6000
01-09-2013, 6:53 PM
Why do it myself with the little bitty pain in the *** jack when someone else will do it for men free? Why let pride get in the way? Pride yourself on being smart enough and rich enough to have aaa.

If you were smart enough and rich enough for AAA, then you would know that the service is paid for by your membership dues and not free.

:hide:

epilepticninja
01-10-2013, 8:45 AM
It WAS scarier the second time!

Double posts are following me everywhere.

NytWolf
01-10-2013, 9:02 AM

You guys missed it when OP stated:

i noticed my back right tire was flat, i didnt think much of it because my rear tires are old, so I called AAA, while waiting for the truck to get there i noticed the front right was low too

He called AAA after noticing the "back right tire was flat", "called AAA", THEN "noticed the front right was low too".

EDIT: Doh! EM2 already said it.

Anyway, OP. You need to calm down, as badicedog posted. First, you have nothing to go by except your suspicion. If you fear for your life as much as you say, just quit. Yeah, I said it, quit! Then find a job elsewhere. Otherwise, start putting out applications. You currently have no evidence.

Charger13
01-10-2013, 12:56 PM
alright, since the pressing issue in this thread now seems to be when AAA was called and what that means about my manhood, i'll be happy to clear it up.

I called them when i thought it was only one flat, and before i suspected foul play.

why? partially because i was tired from working all day, partially because it was cold and rainy, partially because i didnt want to mess with the flimsy jack, and partially because i hadnt used my spare in years and i didnt even know what shape it was in, and probably the biggest "partially" was that if it was a reparable puncture AAA has patched the tire on the spot and reinflated it in the past for me, and i was scheduled for a 12 hour work day the next day and didnt have time to go to a tire shop, I decided that if i couldnt address it right away it was safer to be driving on a full sized tire with a plub in it than an undersized spare.

But mostly it was because I just didnt f-ing feel like changing the tire. I have AAA that i pay for and havent used at all this year. your service calls dont roll over from year to year so if you pay for them and dont use them by the time you renew your membership the next year theyre gone, i renew my membership in March. I also used two service calls to have the car moved to two different tire shops too, because i didnt like the prices at the one the frist tow truck driver "recomended" after he said the place i wanted to go "might be too far" for what AAA covers. his place wanted 100 bucks a tire for their cheapest new tires and wouldnt sell me used ones, so i called AAA again and had them take the car to the place i wanted to go in the first place, they got me 2 used tires for 50 bucks out the door... but i guess i'm not a real man because i called AAA and didnt push the car to the tireshop :rolleyes:

So if that doesn't make me a "real man" in some peoples eyes, whatever, i could really care less what they think. anyway, i found my answers on my own so this thread really isnt serving a purpose and it may have been in the wrong place to begin with, so the mods can go ahead and delete it.