PDA

View Full Version : how soon can some kind of gun ban happen

gun4fun
01-08-2013, 11:45 PM
from what I understand there is 2 gun/mag/ammo ban in the works a

California ban and National ,my question is whats the soonest one of these

absurd new laws can happen always thought something like this takes time

needs to be voted on blah blah blah ,can it happen tomorrow? ,kinda looked

around and cant find a time frame any ideas ,sorry if the question sounds stupid

just has me worried ,to think what I legally bought/own with my hard earned

american dollars can turn me in to a criminal over night

gun4fun
01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
and don't wanna here 2 weeks :sweatdrop:

Librarian
01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Feds? Impossible to say. I have no idea of the fastest bill ever passed. No deadlines. Becomes law when the President signs, or at a later date if the bill specifies one.

CA? in normal times, a bill might hit the Governor's desk in August if it were really fast-tracked; normal speed is end of September, signed (or not) in October, effective 1-Jan the following year - if not vetoed.

RonnieP
01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
2 weeks.

gun4fun
01-09-2013, 12:07 AM
2 weeks.

:facepalm:

Feds? Impossible to say. I have no idea of the fastest bill ever passed. No deadlines. Becomes law when the President signs, or at a later date if the bill specifies one.

CA? in normal times, a bill might hit the Governor's desk in August if it were really fast-tracked; normal speed is end of September, signed (or not) in October, effective 1-Jan the following year - if not vetoed.

you sir are a blessing to the calguns organization

:King:

Librarian
01-09-2013, 1:12 AM
http://votesmart.org/education/how-a-bill-becomes-law - Fed is a real zoo. A bill has 2 full years to get to the President.

Actually, wondered what the fastest ever was - apparently (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100315150708AAzikpO), The fastest passage of a bill was the Declaration of War against the Empire of Japan on December 8th, 1941. From reading to near-unanimous adoption took less than an hour.

More typically, a bill is submitted, goes to a committee, may have hearings, may get a vote; if voted out of committee, might go to another committee, or to full Senate/House. If voted out, goes the other house - lather, rinse, repeat.

If it gets out of the second chamber, may be identical or may be different from the version; if identical, goes to the President, if different, to a Conference Committee to resolve the differences, and then to the President.

* A really simple one: S.188 in last Congress; "A bill to designate the United States courthouse under construction at 98 West First Street, Yuma, Arizona, as the "John M. Roll United States Courthouse".

1/26/2011 Introduced in Senate
2/1/2011 Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works discharged by Unanimous Consent.
2/1/2011 Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate without amendment by Unanimous Consent.

Out of the Senate in 1 day.

2/9/2011 Passed/agreed to in House: On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 429 - 0 (Roll no. 27).
2/11/2011 Presented to President.
2/17/2011 Signed by President.
2/17/2011 Became Public Law No: 112-002

23 days - no discussion, no actual votes, no opposition.

* A bit longer - S.365 - Budget Control Act of 2011

2/16/2011 Introduced in Senate
2/16/2011 Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. Original measure reported to Senate by Senator Harkin. Without written report.
2/17/2011 Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate without amendment by Unanimous Consent.

Out of the Senate in 2 days.

Taken up in the House about 6 months later.

8/1/2011 Passed/agreed to in House: On passage Passed with amendment by recorded vote: 269 - 161 (Roll no. 690).
8/2/2011 Resolving differences -- Senate actions: Senate agreed in the House amendment to the bill by Yea-Nay Vote. 74 - 26. Record Vote Number: 123.
8/2/2011 Presented to President.
8/2/2011 Signed by President.
8/2/2011 Became Public Law No: 112-025

No obvious controversy, but a delay.

* A longer one: S.743 - Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act of 2012

4/6/2011 Introduced in Senate

Sat for a year.

4/19/2012 Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Reported by Senator Lieberman with amendments. With written report No. 112-155.
5/8/2012 Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate with amendments by Unanimous Consent.

3 weeks in the Senate

Almost 6 months before House took it up.

9/28/2012 Committee on Oversight and Government discharged.
9/28/2012 Committee on Intelligence (Permanent) discharged.
9/28/2012 Committee on Homeland Security discharged.
9/28/2012 Passed/agreed to in House: On passage Passed without objection.

Sat for a month and a half before it went to Conference.

11/13/2012 Resolving differences -- Senate actions: Senate agreed to House amendment to the bill (S.743) by Unanimous Consent.
11/16/2012 Presented to President.
11/27/2012 Signed by President.
11/27/2012 Became Public Law No: 112-199

So, as I said, no way to predict - 23 days to a year and 7 months.

badicedog
01-09-2013, 1:58 AM
thanks for the info...

CharlesV
01-09-2013, 3:21 AM
In good times it would take a while but these are foam-at-the-mouth times so anything can happen outside the usual bill-passing channels. Nobody can know--three weeks? 60 days? Its better to keep building up whatever a persons personal plan is. IMHO.

kimber_ss
01-09-2013, 3:46 AM
Nice that DiFi doesn't send it from her desk to the president to sign in a few days. Oh yeah that pesky congress gets in the way. Gums up the works towards tyranny.

myk
01-09-2013, 3:57 AM
The fastest passage of a bill was the Declaration of War against the Empire of Japan on December 8th, 1941. From reading to near-unanimous adoption took less than an hour.

Hmph. With the country the way it is now politically, I wonder how long it would take for the US to declare war if another Pearl Harbor or 9/11 occurred; IF the country could even be convinced to do so in the first place...

Sabby
01-09-2013, 4:05 AM
http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/01/the-strangest-conservative-priority-prepping-a-2nd-amendment-solution/266711/

Ammodog
01-09-2013, 4:09 AM
http://geekoutlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2-Weeks.jpg

kel-tec-innovations
01-09-2013, 5:56 AM
http://geekoutlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2-Weeks.jpg

LOL, classic

Gun_Owner_901
01-09-2013, 6:52 AM
The Difi bill will take months, but I really don't see that bill passing. IF it does pass it will be the toughest Federal gun law that United States has ever seen. If California passes anymore bans I will be leaving this State, and I think alot of people should start leaving then lets see how fast California gets flushed down the drain.

zio
01-09-2013, 8:26 AM
Boy: Woof! You sure gotta climb a lot of steps to get to this Capitol Building here in Washington. But I wonder who that sad little scrap of paper is?

I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
Well, it's a long, long journey
To the capital city.
It's a long, long wait
While I'm sitting in committee,
But I know I'll be a law someday
At least I hope and pray that I will,
But today I am still just a bill.

Boy: Gee, Bill, you certainly have a lot of patience and courage.

Bill: Well I got this far. When I started, I wasn't even a bill, I was just an idea. Some folks back home decided they wanted a law passed, so they called their local Congressman and he said, "You're right, there oughta be a law." Then he sat down and wrote me out and introduced me to Congress. And I became a bill, and I'll remain a bill until they decide to make me a law.

I'm just a bill
Yes I'm only a bill,
And I got as far as Capitol Hill.
Well, now I'm stuck in committee
And I'll sit here and wait
While a few key Congressmen discuss and debate
Whether they should let me be a law.
How I hope and pray that they will,

Boy: Listen to those congressmen arguing! Is all that discussion and debate about you?

Bill: Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones. Most bills never even get this far. I hope they decide to report on me favourably, otherwise I may die.

Boy: Die?

Bill: Yeah, die in committee. Oooh, but it looks like I'm gonna live! Now I go to the House of Representatives, and they vote on me.

Boy: If they vote yes, what happens?

Bill: Then I go to the Senate and the whole thing starts all over again.

Boy: Oh no!

Bill: Oh yes!

I'm just a bill
Yes, I'm only a bill
And if they vote for me on Capitol Hill
Well, then I'm off to the White House
Where I'll wait in a line
With a lot of other bills
For the president to sign
And if he signs me, then I'll be a law.
How I hope and pray that he will,

Boy: You mean even if the whole Congress says you should be a law, the president can still say no?

Bill: Yes, that's called a veto. If the President vetoes me, I have to go back to Congress and they vote on me again, and by that time you're so old...

Boy: By that time it's very unlikely that you'll become a law. It's not easy to become a law, is it?

Bill: No!

But how I hope and I pray that I will,

Congressman: He signed you, Bill! Now you're a law!

Bill: Oh yes!!!

-Schoolhouse Rocks!

Sublime_AC
01-09-2013, 8:32 AM
If California does anything to further limit my ability to own firearms I will leave the state. The division in congress seems to provide enough protection to keep anything from happening at a federal level, if obama uses executive privilege it will get killed by the SCOTUS.

domino
01-09-2013, 8:35 AM

Would it do any good for Brown to veto anything at this point. Even if he tries to veto anything in this state now - it can be overturned by the super majority.

domino
01-09-2013, 8:37 AM
If California does anything to further limit my ability to own firearms I will leave the state. The division in congress seems to provide enough protection to keep anything from happening at a federal level, if obama uses executive privilege it will get killed by the SCOTUS.

It could be overturned by congress before it gets to SCOTUS or would have to go to SCOTUS. Congress has the power to overturn an EO if it is not in line with the constitution.