PDA

View Full Version : zeroing mosin sniper repro

gasol1ne
01-08-2013, 11:37 PM
i picked up a PU mosin repro awhile back and i want to rough zero it.

I have a 20-25 yard indoor range that i can easily go to. (Fieldtime)

My question is, is it possible to get a rough scope zero at this range? What i mean by rough zero is by getting the scope zeroed by filing the tabs on the scope for windage and adjusting elevation by the mount screws. I would do the final zeroing, by using the turrets on the scope, at a longer range. (Probably at Burro Canyon)

If it is possible, do i have to group an inch bellow what I am aiming at at 25 yards? How about windage? Should i point of aim, point of impact?

I also read that the cross hairs should be at the upper 1/3 of the scope. Is this correct?

Also I read that the cross hairs should be slightly tilted on the horizontal to compensate for the scope being mounted off to the side of the bore. Would i achieve this by filing down one tab on the scope more than the other? And if so, how much of a cant do i need to achieve?

Sorry for all the questions, but i havent found a real step by step on setting up a Mosin PU scope. There must have been plenty of the repros sold before the real PU snipers got imported so im sure im not the only one that bought one and is having these questions.

thanks in advance

TRAP55
01-09-2013, 12:43 AM
http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/mosin-nagant-sighting.asp

NOTABIKER
01-09-2013, 6:10 AM
put it on the bench, remove the bolt. bore site threw the barrel. adj the scope to match what you see threw the barrel. that is a start. my big 5 repro sniper was close out of the box. no shimming or filling the scope mount. have fun. all it is lacking is sniper history. before it was converted it might have seen lots of combat.

gasol1ne
01-10-2013, 4:31 AM
I boresighted it today. According to a ballistics calculator my point of impact should be about 1 inch lower than point of aim at 25 yards with a 100 yard zero.

I'll post a range report when i finally get some free time to go to the range.

Flyin Brian
01-10-2013, 8:50 AM
put it on the bench, remove the bolt. bore site threw the barrel. adj the scope to match what you see threw the barrel. that is a start. my big 5 repro sniper was close out of the box. no shimming or filling the scope mount. have fun. all it is lacking is sniper history. before it was converted it might have seen lots of combat.

You could also use the iron sights, which would be more precise than looking down the bore.

6mmintl
01-10-2013, 9:25 AM
Buy one of these and life is so much simpler

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL149/8996569/19640107/395160077.jpg

gasol1ne
01-10-2013, 1:49 PM
Buy one of these and life is so much simpler

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL149/8996569/19640107/395160077.jpg

i havent seen that mount before. Is there anywhere i can read up on it?

NOTABIKER
01-10-2013, 2:00 PM
as nice as that scope and mount are they to me do not look right on a old battle rifle. kind of like a beautiful laminated stock on a MN. is it just me.

6mmintl
01-10-2013, 5:02 PM
Notabiker, is it just me?
Yes, wrapped up in the hysterical collectability/rarity of the one in 60+ million Avg. $130 moisons each so rare/unique/different with a million different marks and stamps.

Gasol1ne, I make them, mount a modern scope and shoot competitively out to 1000 yards and never look back

yatzee982
01-10-2013, 5:38 PM
To the OP this helped me a lot http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/mosin-nagant-sighting.asp

About 6mmintl's scope bracket I really like the looks of it and it's functionability. Non-perma mod to put a modern scope on a period mount = awesome ! I hope to be able to afford one in the near future.

arnie19
01-10-2013, 6:52 PM
I use one of 6mmintl scope mounts and it works great .Puts scope a little lower and over the bore center more than the original .Plus if you look close the rough windage is two set screws .No grinding or shimming . Arnie