PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint comp ml2x 2x or ml3

anthonycn
08-28-2007, 3:17 AM
Hi guys, just got done building my first AR. All I need now is a site. I narrowed it down to 2 models. The aimpoint comp ml2 with 2x magnifier or the ml3 with 2 moa. I heard alot of good thing about the ml2 but not much about the ml2 with 2x magnifier. Here are the questions.
1.Are the aimpoint built in magnifier anygood?
2.Is there alot of difference between a 2 moa and a 4 moa?
3. Any reviews or thoughts on the ml3?
Only reason im thinking of getting the ml3 and the ml2 2x is because it has the 2 moa.

aplinker
08-28-2007, 3:33 AM
Let me start with a question... What do you intend to do? How far do you want to shoot and which will you do most often? Shooting from standing, prone, bench? Run and gun?

Here's my quick summary reply.

Even though the dot is 4 MOA, with a 1X (or even 2X), it will still be as small as you can see. It doesn't matter if the dot is 4 or 2 MOA, you can still group smaller by centering it on the target. I still like smaller dots, though, but since 3-400yds is about as far as you'd want to shoot with a red dot, it would about equivalent ~1ft in size at that distance with a 4MOA, which is pretty small for the kind of shooting you'd be doing.

Personally, I really like the non-magnified versions. The 2X is nice, but you lose some flexibility for in close. I'd do a 1X with flippable magnifier down the road...

You should check out EOTechs, too... I think they're a better product.

anthonycn
08-28-2007, 2:56 PM
UCLA:

I plan on shooting at tactical rifle matches. Im still new to this, so I think those matches are mostly around 25-50 yards? I would also like to shoot long distance. I figure its gunna be a split of short and long range shots.

I found out that people do not like the built in 2x magnifier that aimpoint has. So now it comes down to the comp ml2 4 moa or the comp ml3 2moa. With the shooting that im planning on doing do i need a 2 moa? Basically i want an all around site. Also I do plan on getting a flippable magnifier in the future, just wondering if the 2 or 4 moa would make a difference using a magnifier. Thanks

aplinker
08-28-2007, 3:41 PM
Well, you're better off with the smaller 2MOA dot, but honestly it's not going to make that much difference. It will appear to be 1" in size at 50yds with the 2MOA and 2" in size with a 4MOA. Again, you can center the circle for better accuracy than the size of the dot. The advantage of the ML3 is really the battery life.

Again, I'd press you to check out EOTech. At short range (10-50yds) the circle around the dot is extremely helpful. Long range, the 1MOA dot is perfect. It's kind of the "best of both worlds." I honestly think it's a better optic and a better value.

PIRATE14
09-02-2007, 7:47 AM
Well, you're better off with the smaller 2MOA dot, but honestly it's not going to make that much difference. It will appear to be 1" in size at 50yds with the 2MOA and 2" in size with a 4MOA. Again, you can center the circle for better accuracy than the size of the dot. The advantage of the ML3 is really the battery life.

Again, I'd press you to check out EOTech. At short range (10-50yds) the circle around the dot is extremely helpful. Long range, the 1MOA dot is perfect. It's kind of the "best of both worlds." I honestly think it's a better optic and a better value.

I wouldn't say the EOTECH is a better optic than a AIMPOINT but it is a better price point.......