PDA

View Full Version : Python in Idaho transfer here

geo5120
08-27-2007, 7:29 PM
My freind in idaho has a python that another bud here in cali wants. Can idaho gift the pistol to his dad here in cali, and then the bud can purchase from idahos dad?

bwiese
08-27-2007, 7:49 PM
I don't think the express goal of someone outside the family acquiring the Python in CA should be the thought here. If the relative in CA later decides to sell it, that should be uncoordinated decision and his alone.

Within CA, interfamiliar transfers between any of grandparent, parent or child (and no other relations allowed, including brother/sister, cousin, aunt/uncle, etc.) of non-Rostered handguns are legal. The recipient in CA needs to get an HSC card. Normally he'd also have to fill out a form available on DOJ website (Firearms Transfer by Operation of Law, I believe) - but this is a bit different since it crosses state lines.

Because this is happening across state lines between the two family members, it *must* go thru a CA FFL dealer to keep the Feds/BATF happy. The FFL dealer will have to run DROS and you will be exempt on family transfer basis - I don't think there will be a 10 day wait.

After that, a Californian now legally has a nice non-Rostered Colt Python.

Maybe he shoots it, maybe he decides to sell it, who knows?

PC12078(c)
(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family.

(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent transfer of a handgun by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means by one
individual to another if both individuals are members of the same immediate family and both of the following conditions are met:

(A) The person to whom the firearm is transferred shall, within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, forward by prepaid mail or deliver in
person to the Department of Justice, a report that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant to this paragraph shall be provided to them by the Department of Justice.

(B) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a handgun safety certificate.

(C) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.

(3) As used in this subdivision, “immediate family member” means any one of the following relationships:
(A) Parent and child.
(B) Grandparent and grandchild.