PDA

View Full Version : Gabrielle Giffords, husband Mark Kelly launch anti-gun violence group

Doheny
01-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Hopefully not a dupe...

Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, launched a campaign Tuesday that they said would push for stricter gun laws and counter the political influence of the National Rifle Association.

On the second anniversary of the attempted assassination of Giffords in a mass shooting in Tucson, the recovering Arizona Democrat is adding her political cache to the emotionally fraught debate over the nationís gun violence.

<snip>

Article here. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gabrielle-giffords-and-husband-launch-anti-gun-violence-group/2013/01/08/a6f3ffb4-599b-11e2-9fa9-5fbdc9530eb9_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop)

jwkincal
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
From what I read in another article, they're not after particular weapons but they are talking magazine capacity limits. There is a mental health focus, though.

Mixed bag.

ClarenceBoddicker
01-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Dupe. There is a thread in OT.

tcrpe
01-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Didn't these two tools just have a meeting with obama?

ETA: Why, yes, they did! There's a coincidence for ya!

glbtrottr
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Idiots. Gifford was pro gun prior, and her husband, a former Astronaut, didn't have a problem taking money for his involvement in defense. This is simply a hypocritical pandering move on their part to court favor from the Grand Mulla, Hussein Obama.

Whatever.

Kukuforguns
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Idiots. Gifford was pro gun prior, and her husband, a former Astronaut, didn't have a problem taking money for his involvement in defense. This is simply a hypocritical pandering move on their part to court favor from the Grand Mulla, Hussein Obama.

Whatever.Hmm, so you're saying that getting shot in the head would never cause a person to reevaluate his/her beliefs. Go ahead and disagree with the message, but personal attacks on that couple seem likely to backfire (i.e., create negative feelings for those making the personal attacks).

tcrpe
01-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Hmm, so you're saying that getting shot in the head would never cause a person to reevaluate his/her beliefs. Go ahead and disagree with the message, but personal attacks on that couple seem likely to backfire (i.e., create negative feelings for those making the personal attacks).

Precisely why obama picked them . . . . . .

IPSICK
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
And another formerly pro-gun Dem becomes a turncoat.

RCJeeper
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Whatever.

Wow. A little over the top don't you think? An astronaut and a rep. who got shot in the head??? Really??? It's comment like these that make me wonder about team NRA.

safewaysecurity
01-08-2013, 1:02 PM
I'd hardly call Gifford's progun. I belive she had something like a D or C- rating fron the gun orgs.

Mottmcfly
01-08-2013, 1:05 PM
Hmm, so you're saying that getting shot in the head would never cause a person to reevaluate his/her beliefs. Go ahead and disagree with the message, but personal attacks on that couple seem likely to backfire (i.e., create negative feelings for those making the personal attacks).

Agreed.

Jarrod
01-08-2013, 1:06 PM
Wow. A little over the top don't you think? An astronaut and a rep. who got shot in the head??? Really??? It's comment like these that make me wonder about team NRA.

I agree with you that the comments are over the top and counter productive. No doubt. However, I want to add, don't blame "team NRA" until the NRA does it. :-)

artoaster
01-08-2013, 1:11 PM
A lot of people do different things post-trauma. A post-trauma victim does not always have the wisest but rather just another opinion.

jtyner
01-08-2013, 1:11 PM
Are they anti "gun violence" or are they for anti-gun violence? I couldn't tell from the thread title.

Nor*Cal
01-08-2013, 1:44 PM
I caught a small piece of an interview with them yesterday and they were saying that they both believe in the 2A but want to figure out how to keep guns out of the wrong hands. That's about all I caught.

odysseus
01-08-2013, 1:48 PM
I caught a small piece of an interview with them yesterday and they were saying that they both believe in the 2A but want to figure out how to keep guns out of the wrong hands. That's about all I caught.

Just pandering. The new "mantra" of the progressive left that is bearing down with infringement is they publicly say they "believe" in the 2A and it is all about "safety", but then propose regulation against lawful owners and inalienable rights.

I also think this is just another way for them to further one's career and setup another 501c to solicit funds and pay yourself a salary.

kaligaran
01-08-2013, 3:53 PM
The 'good' take away from this is that the anti's lobby groups are very segmented.
They do not have a unified front even on the federal level like we do with the NRA (join btw).

Another reason to be active and donate to your national and state level organizations.

glbtrottr
01-08-2013, 3:56 PM
She was SHOT by an INDIVIDUAL who was using a gun. The focus should be on how to keep guns away from the crazies. Keeping guns away from crazies should be all about CRAZY control and not GUN control. The moment you make it about controlling inanimate objects and blaming these inanimate objects for crime is the moment logic has escaped you, shot, mentally challenged or not.

Now? Let's be RETARDED and BAN ALL GUNS. This is precisely the Agenda of Dictator Obama's Team. They will accomplish this with lies, sympathy, coercion, the media, money, you name it...they will do it anyway they can.

Giffords is just another TOOL in the process along with her husband.

What most of you don't seem to get when you play into the sympathy game is that a lot of you continue to buy into the "court of public opinion" soundbyte as though to somehow think that the smart thing to do is to tread lightly on the topic, making all of you public relations and marketing experts with polls in hand or at the ready.

Cute, and it may score you men sensitive points with your wives, but entirely on point with the agenda that this administration is pursuing.

Alex Jones is a windbag, but there's something interesting about that position: OUTRAGE is where this Republic's citizens' should be.

OUTRAGE.

Blame recidivism. Blame Drug Crime. Blame Mental Health. Blame lack of appropriate attention for each and how to conquer it based on the soft bellies of Americans. But above all, quit continuing to penalize law abiding citizens and gun owners who would want to protect themselves exactly from all of these surging crazies by giving them the opportunity to defend themselves, instead of playing the victim pity card and moving to create more gun control.

The Giffords know what's up. Her husband participated in 39 combat missions; he's no stranger to guns and bullets. That he wants to pander to this presidency is sad and disgusting. His choice, but disgusting nonetheless. Convalescencence from gunshot wounds is great and all, but taking on political activism to limit the constitutional rights of others while advancing a dictatorship is crap.

sfpcservice
01-08-2013, 4:18 PM
Just pandering. The new "mantra" of the progressive left that is bearing down with infringement is they publicly say they "believe" in the 2A and it is all about "safety", but then propose regulation against lawful owners and inalienable rights.

I also think this is just another way for them to further one's career and setup another 501c to solicit funds and pay yourself a salary.

Exactly... it is what I call "corporate non-speak". It's like when best buy or costco says they check receipts for "your protection" or when the aliens from Mars Attacks were saying "we are your friends" as they were vaporizing people.

sreiter
01-08-2013, 5:02 PM
F%$K Mark Kelly

You're all hung up on "astronaut" Mark...How about captain Mark, who killed 100s of innocent children during Gulf War 1.

artoaster
01-08-2013, 5:15 PM
Never mind the words they use, Nancy Pelosi wants to change the "gun contol" term to "gun violence prevention", but make no mistake about it the agenda is prohibition, gun bans, outright denial of civil rights, incremental confiscation, criminalization of gun ownership, etc.!

Anybody joining against any type of presently lawful ownership or use of firearms right now and jumping on any bandwagon is out to destroy the 2A and criminalize law abiding good people who own guns.

CessnaDriver
01-08-2013, 5:21 PM
That kook could have killed more people that day with an assault bludgeon (SUV)

mag360
01-08-2013, 5:33 PM
I got in a car accident once, I should be appointed Czar of car safety. Damn idiots giffords and kelly the lot of em.

MOA1
01-08-2013, 5:41 PM

Admittedly I did not see the interview.

This is less about restricting guns and more about gun restricted zones. Gun laws that prevent law abiding citizens from carrying in public.

Would a crazy person open fire in a police station? Sure, it happens but the body count is almost always just the bad guy.

A wolf among sheep will feast, a wolf among wolves will starve or be eaten alive for his misdeeds.

The laws preventing good guys from the right of protection via firearm is the problem.

:Preaching to the choir:

The mental issue is not part of this discussion. Pull out a gun with bad intentions in a room full of people with guns and you're in deep ****.

Simple as that.

If you want to discuss mental health, fine, do so, but it has nothing to do with my gun rights.

kimber_ss
01-08-2013, 5:41 PM
Yeah that uncle Fester was a piece of work. The guy was seriously loony. If there were more good guys in the vicinity, it could have been a different outcome no?

dieselpower
01-08-2013, 8:06 PM
Just saw a interview with Diana Sawyer, who is a lier and a con-artist herself. They are heading a group who will work to add "responsible gun laws" to the books.

Couple nice quotes...

1) Since Mrs Giffords was shot, 57,000 other people have been killed with firearms. Over 5000 injured

2) The country wants more gun laws

3) Congress has done nothing about gun violence.

4) They have a large number of gun owners and supporters working behind the scenes with congress to act.

5) The NRA is wrong, more guns isnt going to work and just because a good guy has a gun doesn't mean the bad guy will be stopped.

dg29
01-08-2013, 9:08 PM
The brady campaign and now the giffords campaign.

Baja Daze
01-08-2013, 9:28 PM
I believe the ulterior motive in recruiting the Giffords team is to eventually replace the Brady team as Sarah will be 71 next month and Jim is 72.

mag360
01-08-2013, 9:46 PM
Yep got em shilling on the bandwagon. good call on having them take over. Grooming them for the coming gun ban talk.

gunsandrockets
01-08-2013, 9:58 PM
I believe the ulterior motive in recruiting the Giffords team is to eventually replace the Brady team as Sarah will be 71 next month and Jim is 72.

You are exactly right.

I first noticed this development from the editorial the Giffords had printed in todays USA Today newspaper. I recommend everyone read it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/01/07/gabby-giffords-mark-kelly-tucson-shooting-gun-control/1816383/

Basically, the Giffords are declaring war on the NRA in pursuit of the usual gun-control schemes. They accuse those who oppose gun-control of being part of an "ideological fringe".

I would ask the Giffords, if so-called "high capacity magazines" are so evil, why do you have them for your own Glock 9mm pistol? Will you publicly throw them away in exchange for a 10 round magazines? And if you want to ban magazines over 10 rounds, will you agree that David Gregory should be prosecuted for violating the very kind of law you are promoting?

I would ask the Giffords, if so-called "weapons of war" are so evil, will you campaign to have them removed from the hands of police?

dieselpower
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
They were opposing the view that a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun, they called the NRA position "wrong".

The day Gabby was shot the "good guy" with the gun nearly shot the "hero" who didnt have a gun while he was tackling the bad guy.

This is proof that good guys with guns are dangerous and doesn't stop gun violence.

Please raise your hand if you are still in the ..."Oh don't worry this will all blow over" crowd...:kest:

You really need to take a good look at what we are up against.

IVC
01-08-2013, 10:18 PM
A more important question than this bickering is why do people who end up being victims of gun violence turn to the gun control cause?

Brady was shot and so was Giffords. McCarthy lost her husband to guns. Goddard from Virginia Tech ended up a spokesperson for Bradys.

Is there anything we can do better to get these people to understand that when we talk guns we only talk self defense? Are they just bitter and want others to be defenseless too?

GW
01-08-2013, 10:36 PM
And the beat goes on
This is easily the most concerted effort by anti-gunners ever
They are piling on while they think they have the momentum.
We have to be the ones who stand up for our rights
Donate to the NRA,
CalGuns Foundation, GOA and SAF

01-08-2013, 10:38 PM
I thought I saw someone on here that had a sig line that had her saying she was "a supporter of the 2nd Am. and will not seek to impose new gun laws."

mag360
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Susanna Gretia Hupp survived the Lubys massacre and her parents died. She has been a great voice for concealed carry

The Wingnut
01-08-2013, 11:23 PM
I was wondering when she'd weigh in on the issue. I figured her silence thus far had indicated an unwillingness to address it.

Make no mistake: This has the potential to become much larger and more effective than the Brady Campaign. Giffords has the sympathy angle and she is a more contemporary figure than James Brady. The current generation will rally around her whereas they may not have even been alive during the attempt on President Reagan's life. Giffords was the direct target while Brady was a bystander. Additionally, while John Hinckley Jr. used a .22 caliber revolver, Jared Loughner used a Glock 19 with evil 33-round magazines; a 'scary plastic gun meant to be spray-fired form the hip' as opposed to a peashooter revolver that looks similar to a starter pistol.

Further working in Giffords' favor is the fact that prior to the incident, she was a centrist. She was solidly for gun rights, wanted the federal government to commit to border security, was a supporter of the military. With this turn toward an infringement on civil rights, she can be placed firmly in the statist camp, but many may not see it that way and view her as still being a centrist.

He co-founder husband is an astronaut. Let that sink in.

This organization has the potential to become a formidable foe of liberty.

gunsandrockets
01-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Note how the Giffords launched their anti-NRA campaign quite deliberately on the anniversary of the Tucson shooting where she was wounded. Apparently not only did they have their big editorial (with front page notification) in USA Today, they also blanketed various ABC television programs.

I can't help but notice today was also the day that that smug *** Jon Stewart decided to do the full moron coverage of gun-control on his program The Daily Show, using his usual straw-man and little-truth/big-lie techniques he specializes in. Also important is the seeming coordination of messaging between Team Giffords and Jon Stewart, with Stewart labeling anyone who opposes "reasonable gun control" as dangerous lunatics.

I think this is the heart of the new Obama gun-control campaign. This is the key, maybe even the real goal: not to impose new draconian gun-control, but to break the NRA by demonizing them and driving them from the field of political battle. Obama is playing the long-game, and in the long-run the activists opposing gun-control are one of the strongest political forces resisting Leviathan.

IVC
01-08-2013, 11:27 PM
This organization has the potential to become a formidable foe of liberty.

They need numbers, not just money. Bloomberg and Soros can provide the latter. The former is the problem.

SuperSet
01-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Yep, all valid points that I agree with. A serious challenge on the battlefield of public opinion.

GW
01-08-2013, 11:41 PM

And there's a non-sequitur A fellow makes a comment and you flame the NRA
Nice.:rolleyes:

Giffords and Allen were chosen because of their optics. They are not idiots but part of a very well orchestrated move to limit our gun rights, which "Team NRA" is working very hard to preserve for everyone, even you.

Baja Daze
01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
I was wondering when she'd weigh in on the issue. I figured her silence thus far had indicated an unwillingness to address it.

Actually I think 0bamalamadingdong was concealing "team Giffords" as one would conceal a pair of pocket aces and he was simply waiting for the right time to play his cards.

dieselpower
01-09-2013, 6:57 AM
They are touring the talk shows... by Jan 22th DiFi will have all the support she needs.

tcrpe
01-09-2013, 6:58 AM
Giffords, Cuomo, Bloomberg.

Gosh, you'd think there was some sort of coordination here.

Where are the reverends Al and Jesse?

Jaxpire
01-09-2013, 7:27 AM
Giffords, Cuomo, Bloomberg.

Gosh, you'd think there was some sort of coordination here.

Where are the reverends Al and Jesse?

Yep, I am sure I can say that this has nothing to do with the Giffords meeting with Bloomberg last week. What is his worth up too now? 26 billion? Few million wouldn't be missed at all to fund this new group.

parcours
01-09-2013, 8:27 AM
They are touring the talk shows... by Jan 22th DiFi will have all the support she needs.

All I can say is that, the Republicans in the House better grow a set real fast....

They need to kill this thing before it get any more traction.

miztic
01-09-2013, 8:46 AM
It's all coordinated, you can tell because the Giffords are parotting the same BS about high capacity magazines, and assault weapons bans, all of these media and 'activist groups' have the same message.
If the Giffords had come up with their own ideas, I could respect them, but now they're just shills.
Anyone can plainly see that banning high-cap magazines and assault rifles would have done nothing to prevent the exact incidents they are campaigning against.

RRangel
01-09-2013, 10:36 AM

I would concur on this. It's all a propaganda show. The top down structured gun control movement uses a complicit media to their benefit.

ZombieTactics
01-09-2013, 10:42 AM

I think part of what has happened is that the "Brady" name has lost significance. The emotional appeal of using that name is lost, because almost nobody remembers who Brady was or associates the name with the assassination attempt against President Reagan, or with Mr. Brady's injuries.

Naming an organization after a famous victim is a favorite Alinsky-ite tactic, but attempts to co-opt the names of dead victims have often backfired. People seem to grasp that there is something ghoulish about taking someone's name (absent their permission) and using it for political fodder.

Giffords' name is being used for new organization only because her case is still fresh enough in the public mind, and she can serve as an emotional, living reminder.

The anti-gunner ideas don't hold up, so they need this constant emotional kind of appeal in order to maintain significance and visibility.

In 20 years, their ideas will still be just as stupid, but they'll have found a new victim to exploit by that time.

LMT4ME
01-09-2013, 6:16 PM
I saw ther interview this morning on one of the Morning News channels and both admitted they owned Glocks and were not anti 2A. They are opposed to AR style rifles and high cap mags. I've seen other supposedly pro gun celebs like General McChrystal also state he sees no value in allowing citizens to own semi auto AR style rifles with high cap mags. I am very worried about how this looks to be playing out: Getting supposedly pro 2A high profile folks to come out for the upcoming gun control legislation instead of the uber liberal wackos (DiFi, Brady Bunch, etc.). This could end badly if we do not come up with a solid reason why citizens cannot own semi auto AR style rifles. Stating 2A insures our rights to own arms doesn't cut it. Remember one used to be able to order a full auto weapon mail order. It is very possible we loose this slice of the pie, also.

Wrangler John
01-09-2013, 6:56 PM
Gee, Jim Brady, shot in the head, and then Giffords shot in the head. Is being shot in the head a qualifier for leading an anti-gun campaign? Not that being shot by insane people is anything but a tragic occurrence, that isn't my point. Strangely, I didn't see Ronald Reagan going all gun control on us after he was shot at the same time as Brady. Real leaders, real staunch men, hard to find today and most of them don't play politics.

Mrs. Wrangler read me the Giffords statement and it was primarily aimed at out fundraising the NRA so the political class could ignore the NRA's lobbying clout. They want to become stronger than the NRA on the political stage. Now it seems to me that if that were going to happen, it would already have happened. Could it be that the majority of the people don't want to listen to the anti-gun drivel? I do remember that Brady Campaign presser where nobody showed up. So, for my part I will just send NRA-ILA another donation and add some more to the others as well.

P.S. I never have seen Mrs. Wrangler as upset as this anti-gun push has made her. If there were a Continental Army today, she would be in line to volunteer. If saintly Mrs. Wrangler is that angered, God help the politicians, they have stirred up something beyond imagining.

Sunday
01-09-2013, 7:04 PM
Both the Giffords make their living off the tit of the government. They are doing what comes naturally for government employees and are falling in lockstep. There is no reason to respect either one or their opinion. The nonthinking TV watching zombies probably will ohh and ahh.

SwissFluCase
I think it is enough to say that I truly feel bad for what the Giffords had to endure, however this does not mean that their views on the 2nd Amendment are correct or acceptable.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

SuperSet
The only reason that she's mentioning outraising the NRA is that she thinks it's doable.
Members, we need them. If the NRA were a 50 million member organization, would we be having this discussion? Nope.