PDA

View Full Version : Napa, Thompson’s gun violence forum set for Tuesday 1/8/13

beertinted
01-08-2013, 9:55 AM
I just found out about this today, I can't be there - maybe others can?

Article link (http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/thompson-s-gun-violence-forum-set-for-tuesday/article_a6eee4ee-5936-11e2-ab19-0019bb2963f4.html)

7PM tonight, Tuesday 1/8/2013 at Napa City Hall, 955 School St, Napa CA
MAP (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=955+school+st,+napa&hl=en&safe=off&hnear=955+School+St,+Napa,+California+94559&gl=us&t=h&z=16)

In preparing to chair a new congressional task force on gun violence, U.S. Rep. Mike Thompson, D-St. Helena, is touring his district in a series of town hall forums this week.

First up is one at the Napa City Hall at 7 p.m. Tuesday, offering residents the chance to have their voices heard in a debate that figures to loom large over Congress in 2013.

The forum will feature leaders of local law enforcement agencies, mental health service providers, school systems, and elected officials, including Napa Mayor Jill Techel, Napa Police Chief Richard Melton, Napa County Undersheriff Brian Banducci, Napa County Office of Education Superintendent Barbara Nemko, District Attorney Gary Lieberstein, Randy Snowden, director of the county Health and Human Services Agency, and Supervising Special Agents John Marsh and Black Graham from the California Department of Justice.

“I think a big part of it is listening to what others have to say,” Police Chief Melton said Monday. “It’s an important community issue; it’s an important national issue. It’s important that our community is participating.”

As the chair of a gun violence task force that Democrats in the House of Representatives organized after the Newtown, Conn., elementary school shooting in December, Thompson organized the forums to get community feedback — he’s also hosting one in Vallejo on Wednesday, and Santa Rosa on Thursday — that could influence the steps he and other lawmakers can take to reduce and prevent gun violence.

Thompson’s preferred means of doing this touches on a broad range of issues, from renewing a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips, to coordinating a response from schools and mental health professionals on how to prevent mass shootings from happening, to curbing the media and entertainment industries’ promotion of gun violence.

He’s asking the Napa County Board of Supervisors to endorse these positions in a resolution; the board is scheduled to vote on that during its Tuesday morning meeting.

Techel said she hasn’t heard of a similar request to the Napa City Council, but believes the forum could provide a basis for a discussion of local ordinances involving guns. She notes that the issues surrounding school shootings extend far beyond guns, though.

“It’s a broader topic than just guns,” Techel said. “(Thompson) wants to hear from as many different people with as many different ideas as are out there. This is that opportunity.”

Melton said Tuesday night’s forum will be an opportunity for residents to offer their ideas and solutions to the issue to a lawmaker with a significant role in the debate.

He said he wants to ensure that local law-enforcement agencies’ perspectives are represented in discussions of gun violence, and was happy to participate in the forum when Thompson’s office asked.

“I think we’re integrated in this issue in a variety of ways,” Melton said.

Snowden said his most important role in the forum will be to listen, and to demonstrate the effectiveness that programs dedicated to behavioral and mental health, and substance abuse treatment and prevention, have in preventing and reducing violence.

“There are statistical correlates all over the place,” Snowden said. “We’re always interested in taking a look at what we’re doing.”

Snowden said he hopes the forum can look beyond the potential requirements of new laws, and focus on the community’s priorities in addressing gun violence.

“I think the most important thing is giving the community an opportunity to speak up,” Snowden said. “Our look at this is, we want to understand what the priorities of the community are. It’s less of what a law might or might not require.”

Nemko said she hopes to use the forum to inform the public of the measures local schools are taking in emergency preparedness, security, mental health treatment, keeping kids from using drugs or alcohol, and bullying.

That two-pronged approach of prevention and reaction is crucial to providing safety, and to ensuring school shootings don’t happen in Napa, she said.

“We don’t know exactly what causes a person to do that,” Nemko said of the motivations for school shootings. “There are enough things that we can do if we detect it early. The connection to one caring adult can make all the difference.”

fortdick
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I have written Thompson many times when he represented the 1st district. He has his mind made up. He is going along with Feinstein, despite all his talk about being a supprter of gun rights.

Here is his latest respone:

Mr. Daniel XXXXX
PO Box XX

Fort Dick, California 95538

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. There have been far too many tragic shootings this year and this particular senseless act of violence took the lives of innocent, young children and staff who believed they were safe at school.

As a father and grandfather, I am deeply shocked and saddened. The students, teachers, and the families of those killed in this tragedy are in my thoughts and prayers. As your representative in Congress, I am committed to doing more to prevent tragedies like these and have recently been named to lead a congressional task force on reducing and preventing gun violence.

I am a gun owner, hunter, former co-chair of the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, supporter of the Second Amendment and a combat veteran who carried an assault rifle in Vietnam. I believe law-abiding, mentally-stable Americans have the right to own legitimate firearms for legitimate purposes.

I understand guns, their purpose and how they are used. I understand that we have an obligation to make sure guns are used responsibly. I understand that there are some people who should not have access to firearms. And I believe that military-type assault weapons and assault magazines like the ones I carried in Vietnam have no place on our streets or in our communities. They serve no hunting purpose, they aid criminals, and they too often are a tool for mass shootings. Whether it's a classroom in Newtown, a movie theater in Aurora, or a shopping mall in Oregon, our nation has mourned far too many of these tragedies.

There is no set of laws that will end these horrific tragedies and senseless acts of violence, but that cannot be an excuse to do nothing. It is time to act. And we need a comprehensive approach that goes beyond just arming more people with more guns to make this happen. Congress must reinstate the ban on military-type assault weapons and assault magazines, improve our background check system to ensure that anyone who buys a firearm is a law-abiding, mentally stable individual, and figure out how to close the holes in our mental health system and make sure care is available for those that need it.

As chair of this congressional gun violence task force, I will be working on these issues as part of a comprehensive approach to reduce gun violence and strengthen our nation's gun laws. I will be working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle, mental health experts, gun rights advocacy groups, gun safety advocacy groups, school and education leaders, entertainment industry leaders, law enforcement officials and others to discuss a comprehensive approach to combating the prevalence of gun violence in our communities. All issues must be on the table and everyone must be at the table.

Together we can give our time, our hearts and our very best efforts to do everything possible to make sure this kind violence is no longer visited on our children and our nation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please continue to contact me on all issues of importance to you and to our district.

Sincerely,

MIKE THOMPSON
Member of Congress
http://www.mikethompson.house.gov

650proof
01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
There is no set of laws that will end these horrific tragedies and senseless acts of violence, but that cannot be an excuse to do nothing. It is time to act. And we need a comprehensive approach that goes beyond just arming more people with more guns to make this happen. Congress must reinstate the ban on military-type assault weapons and assault magazine.....

-________-

fortdick
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
650, you need to point out you are quoting before someone misunderstands. They may think that these are your statements and you agree with him.

I put his letter up to let you know he has his mind made up. He claims to have been the former co-chair of the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus and a big proponent of gun owners rights, but that was when he represented a more rural district. Now, via redistricting, he represents a more urban district, so flipping positions is not that hard for him. Especially since they offered up a high profile committee appointment for his support.

He is a liar and a hypocrit and if anyone goes to hear him they have to know he is infeinstein's pocket. You will not get him to change his mind.

beertinted
01-08-2013, 7:11 PM
Thanks for posting, guys. You can watch live (I think) on www.cityofnapa.org then video on demand at the top. It'll be archived, too.