View Full Version : Valid Ca. License to register (transfer)

01-08-2013, 7:23 AM
Sorry for the rook question, but I want to trasnfer my bro's ar under my name today but wasen't sure if I can . Quick question.....
My Driver's license recently expired about a month ago and I went to dmv and renewed it, but they said that I would have to wait to recieve my card, but they printed me out a interim drivers license paper. Is this good enough to register rifle under my name?

01-08-2013, 7:43 AM
i wold think that any FFL will take your expired DL card so long as you have the accompanying DMV paperwork showing it is renewed/valid.
however i take no responsibility if you go there and they dont accept it...some of the FFL horror stories on here make me cringe.

01-08-2013, 8:13 AM
Rifles need to be registered?


01-08-2013, 8:16 AM
You can use your car registration along with a photo id. You just need a federal or state? document with your name and current address.

01-08-2013, 8:16 AM
If it's expired it won't work but I'm not sure on the temporary paperwork though. I believe I've used it before to buy my USP because my drivers license expired while I was deployed.

01-08-2013, 8:18 AM
Any CADL/ID card needs to be valid in order to process DROS. Now I've heard that the temp card can be accepted but I've never played around enough with the DROS computer to find out. Check the DOJ FAQ page.
I just checked the DOJ page, you need to have the hard copy. Temps are not acceptable.

bush wacker
01-08-2013, 8:19 AM
I just went through the same thing. To keep the story short, you need a valid picture ID such as a drivers license or ID card. I tried it all, vehicle registration, pictured work ID, it's a no go with out a valid CDL or Cal ID.

01-08-2013, 8:34 AM
^^^^^ this^^^^^^^

01-08-2013, 9:09 AM
Rifles need to be registered?


I think the OP is using the terminology incorrectly.

He wants to TRANSFER ownership of an AR between brothers.

This requires a PPT through an FFL.

Most FFLs require a valid CA Driver's License, or a valid CA ID Card.

From what I have read here on CalGuns, an expired Driver's License, even when accompanied by a valid Driver's License renewal paper will not be accepted by the FFLs.