PDA

View Full Version : In what ways could you get in legal trouble while carrying in a locked container?

Danz la Nuit
01-08-2013, 1:50 AM
Such as this:

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/images/additional/22207AVPS5.jpg

Only things I can think of is if LE were to claim a dog "alerted" on your car and they used that to preform a search of your vehicle and bags while you were on a school campus.

or

If you were carrying where you aren't "allowed" and then needed to use the firearm to stop a shooter, likely to still be charged without a PR campaign around you.

Can anyone think of any other possible scenarios? Unlikely as they might be?

stix213
01-08-2013, 2:35 AM
I thought you answered your own question. If you're breaking the law by bringing a firearm or ammo where either is not allowed, even in a locked container, then realize you could be charged with whatever crime you're committing. Depends on what exactly you're violating as to what the punishment is. There could be several reasons why you could be searched against your wishes, including reasons that are outside your control (such as matching the description of a criminal they are actively searching for).

Defending yourself isn't a get out of jail free card either.

victor1echo
01-08-2013, 5:27 AM
I have been meaning to ask or look up this: I drive an SVU with out a trunk. What do I do?

Citadelonline
01-08-2013, 6:32 AM
I have been meaning to ask or look up this: I drive an SVU with out a trunk. What do I do?
Transport your firearms as per CA penal code 12026.1: Unloaded and stored in a locked container other than the utility or glove compartment.
Applies only when transporting by motor vehicle.

choprzrul
01-08-2013, 7:16 AM
I would never use a keyed lock. Get a combo lock. (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Lock-646D-3-4-in-Resettable-Combination-Padlock/19870019)

Decoligny
01-08-2013, 8:00 AM
Transport your firearms as per CA penal code 12026.125610: Unloaded and stored in a locked container other than the utility or glove compartment.
Applies only when transporting by motor vehicle.

Fixed that for you.

mike_schwartz@mail.com
01-08-2013, 8:05 AM
The worst trouble you can get into is not being able to unlock the container and load your gun fast enough so someone kills you when you could have easily been able to draw a loaded concealed weapon to defend yourself if CA laws didn't suck so hard.

Librarian
01-08-2013, 12:55 PM
AND when not in a vehicle, 'destination requirements' apply. see the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting#NOT_in_a_vehicle

Marthor
01-08-2013, 2:44 PM
AND when not in a vehicle, 'destination requirements' apply. see the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting#NOT_in_a_vehicle

Help. I followed the links which led me to 2 sections for destination requirement. The first section said abaout destination regarding movie productions. The 2nd link said no restrictions.

Help. What's the "destination requirement"?

Rackatak
01-08-2013, 3:11 PM
Help. I followed the links which led me to 2 sections for destination requirement. The first section said abaout destination regarding movie productions. The 2nd link said no restrictions.

Help. What's the "destination requirement"?

Basically from the vehicle to the shooting station at the range, or into or out of your home to your vehicle, or into or out of the gun shop back to your vehicle. You do not want to wander around aimlessly with a gun on your person. Does not apply to the legal locked transport within a vehicle.

Marthor
01-08-2013, 3:14 PM
Basically from the vehicle to the shooting station at the range, or into or out of your home to your vehicle, or into or out of the gun shop back to your vehicle. You do not want to wander around aimlessly with a gun.

Is that the law?

Let's say I go travelling up the pacific coast highway with no destination other than sight seeing. There is no way to take a gun with me at all?

mej16489
01-08-2013, 3:51 PM
Is that the law?

Let's say I go travelling up the pacific coast highway in my car with no destination other than sight seeing.

See bold above.

Unloaded and locked in a secure container (not the glove box or utility compartment)

Is that the law?

Let's say I go travelling up the pacific coast highway on my bicycle with no destination other than sight seeing.

See bold above.

Since you are not in/on a motor vehicle there are limited destination requirements suchas 'to the range', 'to home', etc

Marthor
01-08-2013, 3:53 PM
there are limited destination requirements suchas 'to the range', 'to home', etc

That's what I'm looking for. The links above didn't take me to what the destination requirements are.

mej16489
01-08-2013, 3:57 PM
That's what I'm looking for. The links above didn't take me to what the destination requirements are.

From the wiki link above:

NOT in a vehicle

25505 In order for a firearm to be exempted under this article,
while being transported to or from a place, the firearm shall
be unloaded and kept in a locked container, and the course of
travel shall include only those deviations between authorized
locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The 'locked container' requirement still applies, but other than to and from a vehicle, as above, the Penal Code has destination requirements beginning with Section 25510 and finishing at Section 25595, the 'other' section:

You can access the CA Penal code here: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml

Marthor
01-08-2013, 4:04 PM
beginning with Section 25510 and finishing at Section 25595

OK, I figured out what my error was. I clicked Section 25510 and section 25595, but what it's really saying is you have to read all the other sections in between those too.
:oji:

myk
01-08-2013, 4:26 PM
*Sigh* Just no fun in California, I tell ya...

Marthor
01-08-2013, 4:33 PM
Such as this:
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/images/additional/22207AVPS5.jpg

So, the answer to this thread question is you can't be carrying this locked container around unless you meet the destination requirements.

Travelling in your car is allowed, but make sure you tell the cop you were travelling home or to the gun range or another OK'd destination.

Carrying this is allowed outside the car only to and from the OK'd destinations. Camping, gun show, gun range, repair shop, work, home and a few more listed in the sections.

mrdd
01-08-2013, 4:39 PM
Travelling in your car is allowed, but make sure you tell the cop you were travelling home or to the gun range or another OK'd destination.

There are no destination requirements when transporting inside a vehicle, as long as the firearm is in a locked container or the trunk. However, using the trunk as a locked container is in general not recommended.

wpage
01-08-2013, 4:55 PM
Lawyers playland...

Danz la Nuit
01-08-2013, 5:59 PM
Here is a rephrase:

"In what ways/situations/methods could a LEO force a search of such a locked container?"

Librarian
01-08-2013, 6:27 PM
Aside from government controlled-access buildings, I'd guess probably any "Terry Stop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop)"

berto
01-08-2013, 6:32 PM
Don't consent to a search. They can let you continue on your way, produce a warrant, or break your lock. Let your attorney and the DA argue over the legality of the lock breaking and subsequent search.

Danz la Nuit
01-08-2013, 9:01 PM
Aside from government controlled-access buildings, I'd guess probably any "Terry Stop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop)"

Don't consent to a search. They can let you continue on your way, produce a warrant, or break your lock. Let your attorney and the DA argue over the legality of the lock breaking and subsequent search.

Interesting... I have to wonder how that would play out... LEO conducts so called "Terry Stop" and demands you open the case for inspection. You tell them to pound sand, decline consent to any search and demand a warrant... And then... what? lol

Snake Eyes USA
01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Ok ok. I understand what a glove box is. Whats a utility compartment? Is that whats in between me and my passenger? Or is it the back area of my SUV behind back seat?

Do SUV drivers have a specific way to carry?

Librarian
01-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Ok ok. I understand what a glove box is. Whats a utility compartment? Is that whats in between me and my passenger? Or is it the back area of my SUV behind back seat?

Do SUV drivers have a specific way to carry?

In the utility or
glove compartment of a motor vehicle.nobody knows what 'the utility ... compartment' is.

This has lead to speculating that any compartment - say, a small gun safe - that is relatively permanently attached, perhaps bolted down to the vehicle - becomes 'the utility compartment'.

SUV drivers should have a distinct separate locking handgun case (hard or soft), which they may carry anywhere inside their vehicles they may find convenient.