PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to discharge in Santa Clara Conty?

Corey11c
08-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains in Santa Clara County in a remote area of 60+ acres with no neighbors close by. I want to set up a shooting range on my property (more than 300 feet from any roads).
My question is if anyone knows about any laws in Santa Clara County about not being able to discharge a firearm. I've had a couple of people tell me that they thought it was illegal to shoot in this county. Are they right or just uninformed?

Technical Ted
08-27-2007, 10:59 AM
I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains in Santa Clara County in a remote area of 60+ acres with no neighbors close by. I want to set up a shooting range on my property (more than 300 feet from any roads).
My question is if anyone knows about any laws in Santa Clara County about not being able to discharge a firearm. I've had a couple of people tell me that they thought it was illegal to shoot in this county. Are they right or just uninformed?
It's legal as long as you are not surrounded by incorporated areas.

http://www.sccgov.org/scc_ordinance/31401011.HTM

Sec. B13-11. Discharge of firearms in unincorporated territory entirely surrounded by a city prohibited.
No person shall discharge a firearm within any unincorporated territory of the County which is entirely surrounded by an incorporated city. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any peace officer while acting in the performance of official duty.

Also avoid Santa Clara Valley Water District territory:
http://www.sccgov.org/scc_ordinance/31401007.HTM

Sec. B13-7. Possession of firearms on Santa Clara Valley Water District--Prohibited.
No person shall, while on or upon any lands, reservoirs or structures owned or operated by the Santa Clara Valley Water District, have in his possession or under his custody or control firearms of any kind.

otteray
08-27-2007, 8:42 PM
Just a thought.
You might consider some kind of noise suppression system in the form of a tube (large padded culvert pipe) or a covered, walled area to shoot through.
We used to shoot at some great places in Santa Cruz County until some politically correct scared folks complained about the noise.
Then it became a "lead contamination issue" as well, eventually leading to the closures of the Charles Derby Small Bore Range by De Laviega Park and the Locatelli's property at Eagle Rock near the dead-end of Empire Grade.
The private club in the Santa Cruz Mountains (near Scotts Valley) that I shoot at gets complaints when a car backfires two miles away...
By the way, I have some quiet loads , if you need some company shooting!

mcubed4130
08-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Short answer, about your location, and distances to occupied areas - sound great. However, depending on how the noise - travels - from your range, you can expect complaints from nearby neighbors - and that could shut you down .

Here is some great info, from a while back.

Legal: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=58621

Sound: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54702

In my case, I didn't end up buying the land I was planning on getting, but the last piece of the research puzzle, is that you should give a call to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office, and get transfered to the Rural Crimes Deputy and ask if there is anything you need to know, before you setup your "firing range".

BTW, it's a "firing range for personal target practice" - make sure it looks that way (cans, bottles, reactive targets, a backstop or side of mountain, etc...) - when the Deputy Sheriff(s) show up - because your neighbors called when they heard shooting - they will make sure you are being safe.

Conversely, if you say you are hunting, you'll need to look into contacting the local State Fish and Game Warden.

-M3