View Full Version : Prepping with free 55 gallon drums

01-07-2013, 7:08 PM
If you contribute to CGN I give free 55 gallon plastic drums.......... Just a perk for other preppers

Or we can trade

01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Very cool. What're the details on this? Do you ship them or do they need to be picked up? Is there a minimum required donation to receive one?

01-08-2013, 2:50 PM
The minimum to become a GCN contrib is all it cost.
They are all for pick up.

Done by someone who came and picked them up

I hope you don't mind I share what I know after picking up 7 of them the other day.

These are 55 gallon HDPE drums with a clamp-on 2 bung lid in the standard configuration. HDPE is the only plastic rated for food storage, but these are labeled "not for food use" or something to that effect, I'm guessing solely because of their previous contents. This happens to be a very concentrated powder dye that washes out easily and didn't seem all that bad to begin with. It makes a bit or a mess, as just the residue left in the barrels is enough to make 5 gallons of VERY strong dye water.

I rinsed them out in the driveway other than the rainbow water going down the gutter on my street, the only lasting stains were on my hands. That was completely gone after 3 days, and mostly was the result of me not caring to take enough precaution to prevent it. It didn't stain the concrete or anything even though I half expected it to.

Now with that all said, these drums are awesome. Not only will they accept the usual pumps and other threaded things you would expect, but the whole top comes off. The lid and both plugs are gasketed so I don't doubt they are water-tight. I gave them a good scrub, and I feel pretty safe keeping drinking water in them. Besides, if I am drinking the water from them, miniscule traces of fabric dye is going to be way low on my list of concerns.

Did I mention he is a super-nice guy? Anyway, I hope this helps someone who might be on the fence about grabbing a couple.

01-08-2013, 9:53 PM
That's a very generous offer. I wish I was closer to take advantage of it.

01-09-2013, 6:58 AM
People have come from SoCal to pick them up and when they come from that far I put together orders of 20-30 drums to make it worth it

02-04-2013, 3:08 PM

02-04-2013, 6:46 PM
Very kind of you. What did they previously hold? What type of opening? Bung?

02-07-2013, 1:17 PM
Cool offer any pics of suggested uses...

02-15-2013, 5:32 PM
Very kind of you. What did they previously hold? What type of opening? Bung?

Some have bungs some dont...

They held fabric dye before

05-08-2013, 2:10 PM

06-02-2013, 9:06 AM