PDA

View Full Version : So who is going dove hunting this weekend

caduckgunner
08-27-2007, 9:31 AM
I'll be near the wonderful Salton Sea in SoCal. Th eweather will be a wonderful 110 deg. and humid with a 40 % chance of thunder storms. Ohh goodie :chris:

scootergmc
08-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Me. In between fantasy football drafts I'll be on a friend's ranch with nobody else. We only hunt for about 1 hour towards nightfall. We'll both limit.

rod
08-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I procrastinated to the point that I can't take my hunter safety exam until the 8th. I'll go after that. I had a hunting license but I lost it and can't prove that I attended the hunter safety course (taken back in the 70's).

BTW, anyone around San Diego need a hunting partner? I don't know anyone that likes to hunt and my wife will stop b*tching if I hunt with someone.

naimad
08-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Going to my buddies ranch in imperial valley,no crowds to deal with :D

caduckgunner
08-27-2007, 11:41 AM
I procrastinated to the point that I can't take my hunter safety exam until the 8th. I'll go after that. I had a hunting license but I lost it and can't prove that I attended the hunter safety course (taken back in the 70's).

BTW, anyone around San Diego need a hunting partner? I don't know anyone that likes to hunt and my wife will stop b*tching if I hunt with someone.

You can sign an affidavid saying that you did infact have a license before, but can't find it. My firends dad did that a few years ago at Big 5.

stevie
08-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I am sure thinking about it.. just gotta find a place to go..

naimad
08-27-2007, 11:43 AM
You can sign an affidavid saying that you did infact have a license before, but can't find it. My firends dad did that a few years ago at Big 5.

+1 on that a friend of mine did that as well

Egan
08-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Me! I'll be melting away out in Chowchilla.

Good luck to everyone!

caduckgunner
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Going to my buddies ranch in imperial valley,no crowds to deal with :D

The good part for us hunting down there is that the birds are already cooked by the time they hit the ground. :D

rod
08-27-2007, 12:10 PM

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

mdhpper
08-27-2007, 12:51 PM
I'll be heading to Imperial Valley tomorrow morning, I'm going to scout extra early this year.

Good luck guys!

ivorykid
08-27-2007, 2:56 PM
I'm heading out to Parker with my pop on Friday morning. It's going to be a hot 'n busy one this year!

Forestboy
08-27-2007, 4:16 PM
I'll be outside the front gate of 29 Palms blasting away. Hopefully we will see a few more birds this year than last....

Rumpled
08-28-2007, 1:07 AM
I'll probably go to IV, a bit worried about it being Saturday and super crowded and all.

mdhpper
08-28-2007, 6:32 AM
That and the threat of t storms.

bigkahuna04
08-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm heading out to Parker with my pop on Friday morning. It's going to be a hot 'n busy one this year!

The last time that Dove Opening fell on a Labor Day weekend...my buddies and I were in Parker...there were 6 of us. Labor Day brings out the extreme newbies ... who just take a shotgun out there and start blasting away. I know that we were all newbies at one time...but there was absolutely no hunter courtesy (crowding on us on the side of the field where we set up). We like to keep about 40-60 yards away from one another...and we had guys trying to set up between us. I went over to explain that they are setting up too close to us / between us, and this is too close and unsafe...they told me to go to H...and one of the guys picked up his shotgun ( I had walked over to them, leaving my shotgun by my chair ). Too close for comfort for me....last thing we wanted was a stupid confrontation. We decided to pack up and leave to our alternative site.

Just be careful of all newbies...who aren't supervised, or haven't been shown safe hunting.

My buddies and I decided to sit this Opening Day out this year...maybe we might try later during the second season.

1SGMAT
08-28-2007, 5:30 PM
All you guys with friends and private land suck! I will however retract that statement if I get an invite. ha ha.
i will be doing the combat shoot for dove at spenceville.

Boarding-Team-Leader
08-28-2007, 11:07 PM
First it was the coyotes now it's the harmless bird that is the symbol of peace. When will you guys quit!

Just kidding, I have not been out for doves in 5 years or so. I used to hunt and fish all the time. Now I am a family man with almost no time. I have another son due on Sep 29 and I will probably get neutered early next year....

Wouldn't have it any other way:D
BTL

ivorykid
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
...but there was absolutely no hunter courtesy (crowding on us on the side of the field where we set up). We like to keep about 40-60 yards away from one another...and we had guys trying to set up between us. I went over to explain that they are setting up too close to us / between us, and this is too close and unsafe...they told me to go to H...and one of the guys picked up his shotgun ( I had walked over to them, leaving my shotgun by my chair ). Too close for comfort for me....last thing we wanted was a stupid confrontation. We decided to pack up and leave to our alternative site.

Yeah, you are bringing back memories! That year, I felt like I was in formation during the revolutionary war, shoulder-to-shoulder with people barely across the field firing d@mn near right at us. We promptly found a different spot to set up.

Gunaria
08-29-2007, 9:22 PM

I did that as well a few years ago, but when I did it I was told that was the last year that the affidavid was going to be allowed. So on the good side of this is you will get a free pheasant hunt out of this for taking the hunter safety course again, as long as you pass the test.

Yes I too will be sweating my booty off in Niland.

robairto
08-29-2007, 9:31 PM
I fly out tomorrow to whack whitewings and mourning doves in South Texas. I'll be on the levy of the US/Mex border and should have my limit in 5-10 minutes. The good news is that we shoot limits for about 20 guys. I'll post pics when we I get back. Did I mention anything about redfish fishing Friday?:D :D

Hunter
09-01-2007, 1:02 PM
Well, we made it out to Los Banos Refuge for the opener and all took limits by 8 am. Everyone had multiple chances for 2-3 limits, most before the sun was up....but you know how it goes for guys that forget to hit the range on clays before season opener!

Regardless, good times had by all and we got back before the heat really took hold...although it was already +80 F at 4 am there. However, that probably would feel like a refrig to the guys hitting Yuma and Parker today!:D

scootergmc
09-01-2007, 8:11 PM
Made it out to the ranch at 6:30pm, limit by sunset...

sargenv
09-04-2007, 7:33 AM
Dad and I hunted land up north east of willows. Alfalfa field bordered by a tilled sunflower field to the south and an orchard to the north. I had my limit opening morning by 7:15a (after arriving about 6a and walking out to the area I hunted). I shot less than a box of shells and managed a double with 3 shots fired.

Sunday the birds had moved on probably down south but we still managed to pick up 2 more limits by about 9:30. Actually, Dad had his by 8:30 since they were working his corner of the field a bit better than mine. I shot a few more shells since they were now leary of people and the shots taken were quite a bit longer than the opener.

I get to go home today and finish cleaning them. I'm making Doves in a pasta sauce with Polenta tonight. :)

Egan
09-04-2007, 9:13 AM
My dad and I ended up 5 birds shy of our limits on opening day. :(

We get to hunt on private land down in Chowchilla, but the owner had cut down all of the old growth almond trees over the past year and replaced them with saplings. Not so good for us hunters.

But we still had fun. We hunted Sunday morning too and only managed a single bird.

mdhpper
09-04-2007, 3:34 PM
We found a nice spot in El Centro CA, it wasn't crowded at all. I limited out within about 35 mins, and left before it got too hot. It was a great weekend, did anyone else bag any Eurasian Dove?

nothing4u
09-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if your required to use non-toxic shot at the refuges? Specifically Mendota?

Hunter
09-09-2007, 5:57 PM
Does anyone know if your required to use non-toxic shot at the refuges? Specifically Mendota?

As long as waterfowl season has not started you are allowed to use lead. So first 1/2 dove season is Ok for lead, the second half will not be (Nov 15th).

nothing4u
09-09-2007, 6:28 PM
Outstanding. I'd like to do waterfowl when it opens. Got no dog to retrieve but do have a motor mounted inflatable wonder if this will be feasible.